TONYLEUNG.INFO
Discuss Tony Leung with fellow fans!

Welcome to the Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
  Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages   
Click here to go to Archival Tony Board (2003-2012)

The Golden Lion Lifetime Achievement Award

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> The Latest Tony News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yitian

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:42 pm    Post subject: The Golden Lion Lifetime Achievement Award Reply with quote

❤️❤️❤️ Dear Tony ❤️❤️❤️
🎉🎉🎉 CONGRATULATIONS 🎉🎉🎉
September 2nd 2023 will be engraved in our memories FOREVER
We are so happy for you !
We are so proud of you !!
You’re the best and this Golden Lion is so well deserved !!!

🥂🍾️🥂🍾️🥂🍾️🥂🍾️🥂🍾️🥂🍾️🥂🍾️🥂🍾️🥂🍾️🥂🍾️🥂🍾️🥂🍾️🥂🍾️🥂

mary

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Tony really well deserved

You're a humble gentleman who deserves every accolade

All your hard work during your career rightfully acknowledged

The light from your shining star reaches us all round the world

Long may this continue as you touch our lives in so many ways bringing joy in all you do in work and personal life

Looking forward to your new projects as you never disappoint

Best Wishes...Mary
yitian

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emotional Tony Leung wins lifetime award at Venice *
Reuters September 2, 20234:23 PM EDT
https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/emotional-tony-leung-wins-lifetime-award-venice-2023-09-02/

VENICE, Sept 2 (Reuters) - Hong Kong actor Tony Leung Chiu-wai received a Golden Lion Lifetime Achievement Award at the Venice Film Festival on Saturday, brushing away his tears as he was given a prolonged standing ovation.

"It is like a dream come true," Leung told Reuters TV.

Leung gained international recognition for his roles in movies made by Wong Kar-wai, such as "In the Mood for Love", which came out in 2000, and "2046", which hit the screens four years later.

He also appeared in a trio of movies that won the top Golden Lion award at the Venice Film Festival -- "A City of Sadness" (1989), "Cyclo" (1995) and "Lust, Caution" (2007), directed by Ang Lee, who handed him his award on Saturday.

alking to reporters ahead of the ceremony, the 61-year-old Leung said acting had helped him become less shy. "I used to suppress all the feelings inside. I didn't show all my feelings in front of others," he said.

He also discussed his upcoming work, including the Hong Kong crime thriller, "The Goldfinger", which opens at the end of the year and will reunite him with Andy Lau, his co-star from the 2002 hit "Infernal Affairs".

On that occasion, Leung played the hero, while Lau was the baddie. This time their roles are reversed. "I think it's very challenging to me to play the bad guy," he told reporters.

In another major challenge, Leung said he was about to make his first European film, "Silent Friend", directed by Hungary's Ildikó Enyedi.

"I plan to spend like eight months (preparing for it) because I'm playing a neuroscientist. I have no idea about what neuroscience is. So I have to read a lot of books and I have to do a lot of university hopping," he said.

Reporting by Hanna Rantala and Crispian Balmer; Editing by Ros Russell

* Watch video and see pix via the link...
yitian

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Leung Reflects On Career, Talks Working With Wong Kar-Wai & Looks Ahead To “Finally” Playing A Bad Guy In Andy Lau Reteam ‘Goldfinger’ – Venice Film Festival
Nancy Tartaglione September 2, 2023 4:45AM PDT
https://deadline.com/2023/09/tony-leung-career-wong-kar-wai-goldfinger-once-upon-a-time-in-hong-kong-venice-film-festival-1235534701/amp/

Tony Leung Chiu-wai has starred in three movies that have scooped the top prize Golden Lion at the Venice Film Festival, and today he is receiving his very own Golden Lion for Lifetime Achievement.

The 61-year-old Hong Kong actor and singer is one of Asia’s most successful and internationally recognized stars. Among his major global credits are Wong Kar-wai’s 2000 romantic drama In the Mood for Love, for which he won the Best Actor prize in Cannes. His other collaborations with Wong include Chungking Express, Happy Together and The Grandmaster.

Leung also starred in the Academy Award-nominated film Hero by Zhang Yimou, and the box office hits Hard Boiled by John Woo and Infernal Affairs by Andrew Lau and Alan Mak. The latter trilogy formed the basis for Martin Scorsese’s Oscar winning The Departed.

Talking with the press today, Leung beamed of the Lifetime Achievement Lion, “Finally I can have it for myself, I don’t have to share it with anybody.” (The three Golden Lion winners he has starred in are Hsiao-Hsien Hou’s A City of Sadness, Tran Anh-hung’s Cyclo and Ang Lee’s Lust, Caution).

The lauded actor looked back at his early days and said acting helped open him up as he “found a way to express myself in front of other people without being shy because they don’t know it’s me, they think I’m playing a character.”

He’s a big fan of preparation and said he plans to spend eight months getting ready for Idilko Enyedi’s Silent Friend, in which he’s playing a neuroscientist. “I have no idea what neuroscience is… I’ve been doing a lot of university-hopping,” he laughed. This will be Leung’s first European movie.

Asked about his collaborations with Wong Kar-wai, Leung noted, “It’s so different. We never have a complete script, so I don’t know what to prepare before shooting. I only get the script that day – it’s very experimental.”

Sometimes, he explained, one scene will be done eight times in various costumes and settings, “It’s the reason why Wong Kar-wai films take a few years sometimes… But wow, that costs a lot of money.”

Has he seen last year’s Oscar winner Everything Everywhere All At Once, and what did he think of the tribute scene to In the Mood for Love? “I saw it on a flight, I don’t remember to where. It was interesting, kind of like a tribute to some 80s and 90s movies. It was a very interesting movie, a very special movie.” He didn’t respond about the tribute question, just sort of shrugged his shoulders.

Overall, Leung said he’s never followed a specific career path and rather lets his feelings guide him when it comes to choosing projects. “I never plan in my acting career what I want to do next, because I think fate brings people together. When something happens, it happens. I never calculate whether I want to do films or not … I use my heart.”

His heart recently landed on Felix Chong’s Once Upon a Time in Hong Kong (aka Goldfinger) an 80s-set action crime drama based on real events that releases locally on December 30. Leung called it a sort of American Hustle meets The Wolf of Wall Street.

In the movie, Leung will “finally” have the chance to play a villain. What’s more, he’s doing it opposite Infernal Affairs’ Andy Lau. “It’s very challenging to me to play the bad guy, and this time Andy is playing the good guy. Twenty years after Infernal Affairs, we change positions.”

link of a pic *
https://deadline.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/09/tony-leung.jpg?resize=1024,683
* sorry I don't know how to post the nice pic these days Embarassed
yitian

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Leung gets emotional accepting lifetime achievement award from Ang Lee at Venice Film Festival
https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/movies/story/2023-09-03/tony-leung-venice-film-festival-lifetime-achievement-award-ang-lee

Tony Leung broke down in tears while accepting the Golden Lion for Lifetime Achievement award Saturday at the Venice Film Festival.

“You want to make me cry!” the veteran actor said after director Ang Lee showered him with praise and presented him with the honor. The titan of Hong Kong cinema received the award after three of his movies — “A City of Sadness” (1989), “Cyclo” (1995) and “Lust, Caution” (2007) — previously won the top prize at the festival.

“I am so grateful to have been raised in Hong Kong, as well as being nurtured later by the Hong Kong movie industry ... where my acting career began,” Leung said during his acceptance speech.

“I also want to share this honor and give thanks to all the wonderful people who I have worked with over the past 41 years, because this is a tribute to them as well — and of course, to Hong Kong cinema.”

While delivering his prepared remarks, Lee hailed Leung as an “inspiration for others” who can communicate “more in one look than many actors with a full monologue.”

The Oscar-winning filmmaker, who collaborated with Leung on “Lust, Caution,” also told a story about how the actor would stay on set to watch people work rather than relax during his downtime. Lee recalled urging Leung to conserve his energy so that he could “shine on camera,” but the actor insisted that he preferred to “watch people to see where” he could help.

“We always think that directors help actors, but sometimes it’s the other way around,” Lee said.

“It’s both terrifying and meaningful when someone that good and genuine embodies a hidden part of you. His willingness to constantly share that vulnerability is what makes him so great. And ... he doesn’t do it for the credit.”

Leung was quick to thank Lee for all the compliments, in turn hailing him as his “most respected director” and good friend. The “Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings” star also thanked his wife, family, friends and fans for their support.

“Thank you, Venice International Film Festival,” he said. “This is really a great honor.”

Venice is one of the first major film festivals to open during the Hollywood writers’ and actors’ strikes. Though SAG-AFTRA members are generally not allowed to promote their upcoming projects at industry events during the strike, exceptions have been made at Venice for cast members of films operating under interim agreements.

The guild issued a statement last week encouraging those actors to attend film festivals and to promote select titles that have agreed to abide by SAG-AFTRA’s proposed guidelines and aren’t affiliated with the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers. At Venice, “Ferrari” star Adam Driver did just that while leveraging the opportunity to speak out against the major studios.

“I’m very proud to be here, to be a visual representation of a movie that’s not part of the AMPTP and to promote the SAG leadership directive, which is an effective tactic, which is the interim agreement,” Driver told reporters during the festival.

“Every time people from SAG go and support a movie that has met the terms of the interim agreement, it just makes it more obvious that these people are willing to support the people that they collaborate with, and the others are not.”

Times staff writer Mark Olsen contributed to this report.[/img]
yitian

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong’s Tony Leung pays emotional tribute to city as he becomes first Chinese actor to win Venice Film Festival lifetime achievement award

Leung lauds Hong Kong’s cinema industry in emotional speech as Taiwanese director Ang Lee presents coveted prize
He tells audience the prize is shared with ‘wonderful people’ he has worked with and ‘Hong Kong cinema’
Fiona Sun and Sammy Heung Published: 12:15am, 3 Sep, 2023
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/society/article/3233227/hong-kong-silver-screen-star-tony-leung-becomes-first-chinese-actor-win-golden-lion-award-lifetime?campaign=3233227&module=perpetual_scroll_0&pgtype=article

Hong Kong movie legend Tony Leung Chiu-wai paid tribute to his home city and its cinema industry after he became the first Chinese actor to be honoured with a prestigious Golden Lion for Lifetime Achievement at the Venice Film Festival.

The delighted star shed tears of joy in an emotional acceptance speech on Saturday, saying: “This is really a great honour.”

Leung, 61, thanked his wife, renowned actress Carina Lau Ka-ling, his family, friends and fans, as well as people he had worked with over the past four decades. Lau, wearing a striking crimson crocodile leather blazer and matching dress, accompanied him at the ceremony.

“I’m so grateful to have been raised in Hong Kong as well as being nurtured later by the Hong Kong movie industry in general where my acting career began,” Leung said as the audience cheered and applauded the win.

“I also want to share this honour and give thanks to all those wonderful people who I have worked with over the past 41 years because this is a tribute to them as well, and, of course, to Hong Kong cinema.”

Leung was presented with the award in the Italian city at this year’s festival, the 80th, which kicked off on Wednesday and will run until September 9.

He bowed to the audience several times and fought back tears after he was given the accolade by renowned Taiwanese filmmaker Ang Lee, whom Leung worked with in the 2007 film Lust, Caution.

In his own speech, Lee praised the actor for always delivering “enchanting” performances and “elevating” films with his presence, describing him as “a director’s dream”.

“There is something in his eyes that is electrifying, not just his physical eyes or skill, but the soul that shines through them,” Lee said.

“He can say more in one look than many actors can with a full monologue. That’s a soul that can entice you to dream and imagine through him.”

The director recalled Leung had supported him after he had an emotional meltdown on set, and was always diligent and considerate when working with his fellow crew members.

“When you’re that talented, and you have the natural look, that’s a gift. But to share it with kindness, and to facilitate it in others time and again, that’s a lifetime achievement,” he said.

“Being a great actor demands a love of the craft, and being a star requires you to function as an inspiration for others … Tony does both outstandingly well.

“He provokes our imagination that we can all dream through him. It’s a certain spirit I wish I could articulate and present to you, but I cannot, because it’s beyond words.”

Leung later posted a picture on social media of himself and his wife posing with the award, with the caption: “The tiger is bringing home the lion.”

The announcement that Leung would receive the award was made in March.

Leung won best actor at the Asian Film Awards earlier that month for his role in crime thriller Where the Wind Blows and also took home a special contribution prize.

The screen legend has appeared in many films over the past four decades, including A City of Sadness (1989), Cyclo (1995), and Lust, Caution, all of which have won Golden Lion awards.

Leung has also starred in films such as In the Mood for Love (2000), Chungking Express (1994), Infernal Affairs (2002) and recent Marvel hit Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021).
yitian

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A YouTube video link from SCMP
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GwRG0gZAZfk
yitian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Director Ang Lee's Heartfelt Tribute / Introduction Speech to Tony and the Award

World cinema knows Tony mostly as the romantic lead from Wong Kar Wai’s intoxicating movies. But little do they know the range of roles this superstar plays, from art house to international blockbusters, whether it's broad comedy, action or serious drama, he always delivers enchanting performances and he’s one of the most beloved actors among Asian audiences. He holds so many awards and honors, all of them very much deserved. Because any movie can be elevated simply by his presence.

Speaking from my personal experience, Tony is a director's dream. There is something in his eyes that's electrifying, not just his physical eyes or skill but the soul that shines through them. He can say more in one look than many actors can with a full monologue. That's a soul that can entice you to dream and imagine through him. He's the kind of actor who lure the best and the worst out of you, which for director is actually the same thing.

It's hard to articulate but it's like your secret self, even a struggle and confusion that you're hiding, comes to life right in front of your eyes that forces you to deal with it honestly. The deeper he dives into a role, the more he seduces you to push for more, and that takes a part of you. I can only imagine, I can only imagine that he likes the suffering as an artist.

There was a day on set on my movie “Lust, Caution” when I had a meltdown because of an emotional scene. Tony walked up to me, he touched my shoulder, whispered in my ears: "Director, we expose skin, you expose something else, you have to take care of yourself". We always think that directors help actors, but sometimes it's the other way around. That really gave me strength. It's both terrifying and meaningful when someone that good and genuine embodies a hidden part of you.

His willingness to constantly share that vulnerability is what makes him so great. It appears to me he doesn't do it for the credit. He's like water, filling the lowest places without striving, and he serves. He facilitates that creative force, not just for the director but the whole cast and crew. He does his own stand-in for lighting because he knows it saves time. Instead of going to his trailer in between setups, he was stand around on set to watch people work. One time I asked him, "why don't you go rest"? He said, I wanna see how I can help. I told him, "don't waste your energy, because I need you to shine on camera". He said, "chatting or gossip wastes Chi, reading makes my eyes lose their luster, and sleep is boring, so I watch people to see where I can help".

There was another time, he got to our cinematographer Rodrigo Prieto. We were staging a shot where Tony opens the door and looks in, and the camera pulled focus from the opening door to a close-up of his face. It was an extremely difficult shot to get right technically and with the sparkling performances. Rodrigo came up to me with tears in his eyes because Tony had asked him, "where should I be"? He said, "I've had a long career and shot all around the world. Nobody ever, ever asked me that question. People just don't know how hard that shot is". If that's not a filmmaker's dream, what is?

When you're that talented and you have the natural look, that's a gift. But to share it with kindness and to facilitate it in others, time and again, that's a lifetime achievement. Being a great actor demands a love of the craft, and being a star requires you to function as inspiration for others, like a kind of modern royalty. Tony does both outstandingly well. He provokes our imagination that we can all dream through him. It's a certain spirit I wish I could articulate and present to you, but I can't, because it's beyond words.

I just feel so lucky to have been a small part of that magic, that bigger picture that we're here to celebrate today. It is my great joy to present this Lifetime Achievement Award, on the 80th birthday of the Venice Film Festival, to Tony Leung.

Congratulations, Tony!
yitian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony's Acceptance Speech

Ang, I know you will make me cry. Wow, can you give me a minute?

Thank you so much, Ang. Such a lovely compliments, especially coming out from my most respected director and a very good friend of mine. And, thank you Venice International Film Festival. This is really a great honor!

First and foremost, I would love to express my gratitude to my dearest wife, Carina Lau, for her love and constant support; my family, my friends and fans all over the world.

I’m so grateful to have been raised in Hong Kong, as well as being nurtured later by the Hong Kong movie industry in general where my acting career began. And I also want to share this honor and give thanks to all those wonderful people who I have worked with over the past 41 years. Because this is a tribute to them as well; and of course, to Hong Kong cinema.

Thank you very much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> The Latest Tony News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: