TONYLEUNG.INFO
Discuss Tony Leung with fellow fans!

Welcome to the Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
  Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages   
Click here to go to Archival Tony Board (2003-2012)

All 24 Pixar Movies, Ranked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Articles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject: All 24 Pixar Movies, Ranked Reply with quote

All 24 Pixar Movies Ranked From "A Masterpiece" To "Kinda Forgettable"

by Amatullah Shaw

https://www.buzzfeed.com/amatullahshaw/all-pixar-movies-ranked
This previously published story has been updated to include Onward.

So far, there have been 24 Pixar movies, and I have seen every single one of them (some more than once). While some movies just didn't hit like I wanted them to, I still appreciate them all to a certain degree.
Pixar / Walt Disney Co. / Via giphy.com

Of course, with everyone having a Pixar movie that's near and dear to them, there's bound to be some interesting opinions, and these are mine!

24. Toy Story 4 (2019)
Buzz Lightyear, Woody and Bo Peep
Pixar / Walt Disney Co. / Everett Collection

Simply put, I was perfectly fine with the series ending after Toy Story 3 with Andy leaving his story behind with Bonnie. It was the perfect ending to a trilogy that's been with me my entire childhood. Just when I was ready to accept it, here comes new characters and another storyline into the mix that didn't feel necessary at all. However, I did like that Woody got his second wind and found a new adventure outside of one kid.

23. The Good Dinosaur (2015)
Spot and Arlo in a field surrounded by fireflies
Pixar / Walt Disney Co.

I would be lying out of my face if I said that Arlo and Spot weren't the cutest things ever. But why did they have to kill off Henry so dang early? Does Disney hate parents or something?? I personally enjoyed Disney's earlier dinosaur movie — which is literally called Dinosaur — 10 times more, and it was so much more memorable having come out over 20 years ago. It had action, suspense, and everything else I'd expect from a movie about dinosaurs.

22. Cars 2 (2011)
Grem, Acer, and Siddeley chasing Lightning McQueen, Mater, and Finn McMissile
Buena Vista Pictures / Buena Vista Pictures / Courtesy Everett Collection

I love me a little espionage, so I enjoyed this movie and I genuinely laughed when they called Big Ben "Big Bentley." However, we all know Mater may not be as sharp as everyone else, but McQueen was honestly way too harsh with him and it made me angry the entire time. And it didn't add much to the trilogy at all.

21. Monsters University (2013)
Sulley and Mike walking into their dorm room
Walt Disney Co. / Courtesy Everett Collection

I think this movie was good in that we really got to see how Mike and Sulley became the good friends they are. And who doesn't love a good college movie that brings you back to those glorious four years? My ONLY problem is that in the movie, they meet for the first time as roommates. But if I'm remembering correctly, in Monsters, Inc., Mike makes a comment that Sulley's been jealous of his good looks since the fourth grade. And to be honest, if I wanted to see another Monsters movie, I would have wanted it to be a sequel because I need to know if Boo is okay!

20. Cars 3 (2017)
Lightning McQueen and Cruz Ramirez racing
Pixar / Walt Disney Co. / courtesy Everett

THIS is the movie that should've been the sequel. You can honestly avoid the second Cars movie and you wouldn't miss a thing. It feels so much closer to the original story and I like that instead of Cruz teaching McQueen with high tech, he went back to basics and it felt really nostalgic. Cars 3 was the solid end of an era.

19. Finding Dory (2016)
Dory as a baby
Pixar / Walt Disney Co.

I personally liked that they gave Dory her own movie since she's such an important part of Finding Nemo. Also, you can't tell me your heart didn't burst out of your chest when you saw Baby Dory. And can we talk about how you find out she got separated from her parents and in searching for them, she ends up helping Marlin find Nemo, who was separated from his parents? My heart can't take it.

18. Cars (2006)
Lightening McQueen, Mater, and Doc Hudson talking

I honestly don't have any strong feelings about this movie. Mater was really the star of the movie and it was very satisfying seeing McQueen eat a big ol' slice of humble pie while in Radiator Springs. And also, thank you Rascal Flatts for blessing us with their iconic cover of "Life Is a Highway."

17. Up (2009)
Russell singing and walking behind Carl Fredricksen who is pulling his house attached on a string

I watched this for the first time recently and I really enjoyed it. Carl's obsession with getting his house to Paradise Falls was very annoying at parts, especially when Kevin got hurt trying to save him and Russell. But when Kevin reunites with her chicks and Carl gives Russell the "Ellie Badge" in the end, doves cried and all was right with the world once more.

16. Wall-E (2008)
Wall-E looking up into the sky

Literally, 10 minutes into the movie and my heart HURTS for this little robot. I would take a bullet for him. I did chuckle at him having a cockroach as a friend and feeding it what looks like a Twinkie, since both of them are believed to last an absurdly long time, apocalypse and all. Also, the state of the planet is starting to feel more like reality than a Pixar movie. But when the captain said "I don't want to survive, I want to live," I knew there was hope after all.

15. Toy Story 2 (1999)
Woody, Bullseye, and Jessie the Cowgirl running on a record player

To find out that Woody is a whole celebrity was wild and it felt like a family reunion when he met Jessie and Bullseye. But Pete? I wanted to stomp on his box like he was a bug. My 3-year-old self was ready to choose violence in order to save Woody. It was so heartbreaking, though, to see how Jessie's previous kid played with her less and less and eventually gave her away. But it was sweet to see her get accepted by Andy and the other toys.

14. Luca (2021)
Guilia, Luca, and Alberto eating dinner together
Disney + / Courtesy Everett Collection

Now, this movie was a palate cleanser for sure. I loved the animation and the way Guilia, Luca, and Alberto always stuck up for one another made my heart full. But let's be honest. The real star of the movie was Massimo, who defends the boys after their true identities are revealed and later takes Alberto under his wing while Guilia and Luca are away at school in Genoa. A true hero.

13. Toy Story 3 (2010)
Andy carrying Woody on his back
Buena Vista Pictures / Courtesy Everett Collection

This movie tore me to pieces. For 15 years, these toys were having adventures and giving Andy the best childhood any kid could ask for. But I was not ready to move on at all. I laughed, I cried, and I had to come to terms with the fact that the fun would not last forever. And knowing that Woody and the gang would be in good hands with Bonnie made me feel better for sure.

Then came Toy Story 4, which threw a wrench in my healing process.

12. Onward (2020)
Ian sitting with his dad watching the sun set
Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures / courtesy Everett Collection

Now, I'm not going to lie, it took me a while to get over my frustration about how Ian was soooo close to bringing back their whole dad and not just his bottom half. However, I thought it did a great job exploring sibling relationships and, having lost a parent at a young age, this hit really close to home.

11. Brave (2012)
Merida preparing to shoot an arrow

Shooting for her own hand was all I needed to see to know I was going to like this movie. Merida singlehandedly showed what an independent princess looks like, especially with most Disney princesses ending up married and living "happily ever after." And I'd personally like to thank King Fergus for raising her without any limits and having three boys who were absolutely adorable as bears.

10. Finding Nemo (2003)
Marlin and Dory riding on Crush through the East Australian Current
Walt Disney / courtesy Everett Collection

I honestly can't listen to the song "Beyond the Sea" without thinking of this movie. It was funny, emotional, and has one-liners that I still quote to this day (ie. "just keep swimming"). I was low-key obsessed with aquariums after seeing it, and you couldn't tell 7-year-old me that I wasn't going to be a zoologist/marine biologist someday.

9. Incredibles 2 (2018)
Elastigirl on her motorcycle with Mr. Incredible holding Jack Jack

As far as sequels go, this movie was perfect. It had that same action and humor that I liked from the first movie, and they're honestly the only superhero family I care about. I absolutely love that the focus this time was on Elastigirl, the true muscle of the family — I'm truly convinced that both movies would be nothing without her. But a sequel with Violet, Dash, and Jack Jack all grown up wouldn't hurt!

8. Inside Out (2015)
Sadness, Fear, Anger, Disgust, and Joy looking through Riley's eyes

This movie was able to break down something as abstract as emotion and make it so even children could understand, which deserves a huge round of applause. Joy finally being able to recognize that no emotion is purely one thing and that feeling sad is actually a key part of life was very important. So I need everyone reading this to go watch Inside Out and get in touch with your (very valid and complex) emotions.

7. Ratatouille (2007)
Remy tugging Alfredo's hair causing him to raise his arms

Now, maybe it's my ultimate dream to visit France and put my French to good use, but I love this movie. It makes me want to drop everything, enroll in a French culinary school, and become the greatest chef the world has ever known. And maybe I'll fall in love with someone as awkward as Alfredo. And we'll ride our mopeds around all the time. But in the meantime, it has a great message about never underestimating someone just because they don't "look" the part. However, I'm still not letting a rat help me cook.

6. Coco (2017)

Words cannot describe my love for Coco. The animation. The colors. The culture. The music. Seeing Miguel spend time with his deceased family and sing Héctor's song that he wrote for Coco was so heartfelt and emotional that I literally did not want the movie to end. I was fully content with watching it through my tears. Coco was beautiful from start to finish, and everyone should watch this masterpiece.

5. A Bug's Life (1998)
Heimlich, Slim, Francis, Rosie, Flik

I don't know many people who can monologue like Hopper can, because that grasshopper really filled my heart with fear. But I'm always in support of fighting against unjust systems, and Flik was out here leading revolutions for the insect world. And because of their hard work, the ants win, Flik and Atta become an item, and Hopper is fed to chicks. A solid ending.

4. Toy Story (1995)
Buzz Lightyear with his wings out and Woody pointing at him and laughing
Buena Vista Pictures / Courtesy Everett Collection

How Pixar pulled off this kind of animation in the '90s is a feat on its own. This movie had me believing that I could catch my toys in the act (which I never did, by the way) and wishing I had toys like Buzz and Woody. It was very satisfying, though, to see them come alive to scare Sid, because that kid had issues. Toy Story is a classic, and I refuse to believe otherwise.

3. The Incredibles (2004)
Dash, Violet, Mr. Incredible, Elastigirl

Not to be corny, but The Incredibles is incredible. I absolutely loved the action and suspense. I also love that from the very beginning, Helen was not about to let men do all of the saving and basically saves Bob from certain death after he was being really sneaky about where he was. We also meet the iconic Edna Mode, whose designs belong in the MoMA. And we can't forget Frozone, who must always be reminded that the greater good is, in fact, his family, not saving the city from supervillains.

2. Monsters Inc. (2001)
Sulley and Mike Wazowski smiling at each other while watching TV

I can watch this movie again and again. I laugh every time I see Sulley's facial expressions when he thinks Boo is being crushed in the trash compactor, and I cry when Sulley has to say goodbye to her and keeps her drawing in his clipboard. And the way I say "put that thing back where it came from or so help me" on a daily basis is probably unhealthy. This movie can do no wrong.

1. Soul (2020)
Dorothea Williams and Joe Gardner standing outside of a jazz club

I had never been more excited for a Pixar movie, and I was not disappointed. Did I have a bit of an existential crisis? Maybe. Did I like that Joe spent most of the movie as a cat? Not really. But to be reminded that we aren't alive to just achieve one thing was definitely what I needed at the time. And I loved how much time they took to ensure that Black characters and experiences (especially the barbershop scenes) were as authentic as possible. Truly a beautiful movie.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Articles All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: