TONYLEUNG.INFO
Discuss Tony Leung with fellow fans!

Welcome to the Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
  Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages   
Click here to go to Archival Tony Board (2003-2012)

Tony joins the Marvel Cinematic Universe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> The Latest Tony News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yitian

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!!
I copy the article here for those who don't have access to Facebook etc. to read Very Happy

Michelle Yeoh on Why Marvel's First Asian-Led Superhero Movie, Shang-Chi, Is So Important
https://time.com/5878806/michelle-yeoh-shang-chi-asian-superhero/?fbclid=IwAR19j0h57iM4Ou7dqLrOMeJFK-lwQbrqxOiEKgUyUy3WbcbxfrRLw4b1fBg

By Megan McCluskey
August 18, 2020 6:31 AM EDT

Actor Michelle Yeoh can’t confirm rumors that she’s in Sydney filming the forthcoming Marvel movie Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, or what role she may be playing—or even that she’s been cast in the film at all.

“It will come out when the time is right,” she said, laughing, during Tuesday’s TIME100 Talks before covering her mouth with a face mask and “pleading the mask.”

But, she’s happy to talk all about what it means to her that the forthcoming 26th installment in the Marvel Cinematic Universe will have a predominantly Asian cast.

“When that [movie] was announced last year and they introduced who they were doing as the Marvel superhero and it was an Asian superhero, it was like, ‘Yes, finally!’ When do we get to be represented like that?” she said.

Shang-Chi would just be the latest barrier-breaking film for Yeoh, whose career has included roles in the James Bond film Tomorrow Never Dies, martial arts blockbuster Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and groundbreaking rom-com Crazy Rich Asians. She told TIME Books Editor Lucy Feldman that the casting of Chinese-Canadian actor Simu Liu as Shang-Chi, Marvel’s first Asian lead, feels similar to the release of Crazy Rich Asians in terms of cultural impact.

“When Crazy Rich Asians came out, it changed the map. It changed the whole way Asians were represented and seen. We were no longer invisible. We were no longer just a token. We were really represented in a contemporary [way],” she said. “Not just in period pieces or flying across rooftops or something like that, but in a way little girls and little boys look up and go, ‘Oh my god, I can see that’s me up there.’ That is very, very important.”

Tuesday’s TIME100 Talks, which focused on global leadership, also featured 27th Prime Minister of Australia Julia Gillard, African Leadership Group Founder and CEO Fred Swaniker, U.N. Secretary General António Guterres and performance and special message from Red Velvet – IRENE & SEULGI.

Yeoh went on to talk about her own experience in Hollywood, citing her role as Chinese secret agent Wai Lin in Tomorrow Never Dies as a turning point in not only her own career, but also the broader fight against the stereotyping of Asian actors.

“I’m very blessed. I started my career in Hong Kong and I come from Malaysia where I grew up seeing my face being the superhero or the romantic lead or part of real stories on the silver screen, on TV and everything. But once I got to America, I was like, I’m really a minority here and I have no representation,” she said.

“I think the turning point really came when I did the James Bond movie… It was a proud moment because here is a Chinese woman who is standing side-to-side, toe-to-toe with the greatest spy in the world, James Bond. It made such a huge difference in the way we Asians were looked at.”

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, directed by Destin Daniel Cretton, is set to be released on May 7, 2021.

This article is part of #TIME100Talks: Finding Hope, a special series featuring leaders across different fields encouraging action toward a better world. Want more? Sign up for access to more virtual events, including live conversations with influential newsmakers.

There is a video of Michelle Yeoh for the TIME 100 Talks, which contains more content and can be viewed via the link above.
yitian

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the video on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E1VKzNoGvY

According to Michelle, she is tested for COVID-19 3 times a week. It's good to know that everyone on the movie set is safe Pray .

Although not yet officially confirmed, I look forward to seeing Michelle work with Tony again Very Happy .
Safran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Yitian flower for the friendly support and properly posting thumbleft ( I did not manage this Embarassed ) Btw: I share your view ! Very Happy
yitian

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are Marvel's Ten Rings? Comic Origins and Powers Explained
https://screenrant.com/marvel-ten-rings-mandarin-origin-powers-explained/
Ahead of Marvel Cinematic Universe's Shang-Chi movie, learn more about the Ten Rings and their immense powers from the comics.
By Joseph Salvatore Knipper 5 days ago

If you've only seen the MCU movies, you may assume the Ten Rings are a vaguely defined terrorist group co-opted by a biotech tycoon, but you'd be mistaken. In Marvel Comics, the Ten Rings are literally Ten Rings, worn by the villain Mandarin (the real Mandarin). But what are their comic book origins, and how they may feature in the MCU's Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings?

The Marvel Origins of the Ten Rings

The Ten Rings first appeared in Takes of Suspense #50, and their origin was expounded upon in Tales of Suspense #62. During the Communist revolution in China, a descendant of Genghis Khan stumbled across a crashed alien spaceship in China. Upon investigating the ruins, he discovers an injured white dragon from the alien race known as the Makluans (the same species as the villain Fin Fang Foom). The star-ship was powered by ten hollow cylinders, which the investigating human steals, becoming The Mandarin.

Over time, the Mandarin discovers how to use each of the Makluan cylinders as weapons, wearing them as ten seemingly-magical rings. This, combined with his genus-level intellect and unparalleled martial arts training, allows him to become Iron Man's greatest foe in his quest for world domination.

While the rings have had other bearers over the course of Marvel history, the Mandarin is most closely tied with the Rings. The Mandarin alone (presumably because of his long understanding of the rings and familiarity with Makluan technology) can summon the rings to him even if they are worn by others. The rings have also absorbed an intense hatred for Tony Stark from the Mandarin. After the Mandarin is seemingly killed in Iron Man #26, the rings seek out bearers most likely to be worthy enemies of Tony Stark.

How the Power of the Ten Rings Works

Later issues revealed more about how the Ten Rings work, and there have been several retcons. In current Marvel continuity, the Rings are each powered by the spirit of a dead alien warrior with a limited AI. The rings cal also warp the mind of all but the strongest willed-bearer, making it the bearer's goal to resurrect the ten spirits. Once, a Rigellian Recorder updated the Ring's AI to grant them sentience.

Each of the 10 Rings gives its bearer a different power. (Writer Keiron Gillen also renamed the rings' in the 2010s; they were a bit 60s sounding before. These new names are in quotes below.) The Ten Rings are as follows:

Ice Blast/"Zero": Think Mr. Freeze from DC or Cone of Cold in D&D. This ring can shoot ice blasts and lower temperatures to nearly absolute zero.

Mento-Intensifier/"The Liar": This ring can control the mind of one person at a time, and create mental illusions.

Electro-Blast/"Lightning": The name says it all. This Ring can shoot lighting.

Flame Blast/"Incandescence": This ring basically turns it's bearer into another Human Torch, granting fire powers and flight.

White Light/"Daimonic": This ring's powers are poorly defined. It has been shown to do everything from blind opponents with flashes of light to control gravity and magnetism. Officially it controls “electromagnetic” energy, but gravity is not electromagnetic energy (while ironically the infrared energy controlled by "Incandescence" and the Lightening controlled by "Lightning" is). This ring can also create holographic illusions (as opposed to Liar who created mental illusions).

Matter Rearranger/"Remaker": This is another ring with poorly defined powers; it has been shown to do everything from creating poison gas to turning air into cement. Officially, it appears to give its bearer powers similar to Molecule Man, allowing them to reshape the bonds of matter according to their will, though on a much smaller scale.

Impact Beam/"Influence": This ring emits beams of force, somewhat like Cyclopes's eye-beams. It also can generate sonic waves as well. There is some evidence it might be able to produce tractor beams.

Vortex Beam/"Spin": This ring creates controllable mini-tornadoes to be used in combat or to fly.

Disintegration Beam/"Spectral": This ring has a disintegration ray with a 20 minute recharge time.

Black Light/"Nightbringer": This ring creates impenetrable darkness.

How the Ten Rings Became Terrorists in the MCU

It is hard to imagine now, but at one point cinematic universes were an untested model in Hollywood (unless you count Universal's classic monster movies). Magical rings from alien dragons controlled by a super-genius descendant of Genghis Khan was a bit much for audiences to swallow in 2008. Yet the Mandarin is considered Iron Man's most iconic villain. So in the first Iron Man, director Jonathan Favreau hinted at the villain he eventually wanted to build towards instead.

Thus, in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, the Ten Rings are introduced as the terrorist organization that Obadiah Stone hires to kill Tony Stark. They operate with uncertain motives and villainous methods. Each cell works independently of the other, so the one wiped out in Iron Man was only the tip of the iceberg.

Changing the Ten Rings from artifacts to a terrorist organization was a stroke of genius of Favraeu's part because it combined Iron Man's captivity origin with his classic archenemy. However, trying to make the Ten Rings more down-to-earth did lead to problems later. In Iron Man 3, it was revealed that the Mandarin was a persona created by Adrian Lillian (and played by fictional actor Trevor Slattery who was played by very real actor Ben Kingsley) to distract from glitches in the Extremis project. This was such a disappointing twist that Marvel retconned it in the short film All Hail the King. In this film, the imprisoned Slattery learns the real Mandarin still exists and is seeking revenge on those who stole his name. The real Mandarin also apparently controls the (still very active) terrorist group The Ten Rings.

The Future of the Ten Rings in Shang-Chi

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings will be released in May of 2021 as part of Marvel's Phase 4. This title suggests a quest (a la Raiders of the Lost Ark), so it is possible the Ten Rings will appear in their original comic book form. If that weren't tantalizing enough, The Mandarin (played by Tony Leung Chi-wai) will appear at the main antagonist to the master of kung-fu, Shang-Chi (played by Simu Liu). With Marvel comics currently relaunching Shang-Chi's origin in preparation for the movie, the MCU will see the Ten Rings centered around Shang-Chi rather than Iron Man. That's all fine and dandy. As Avengers: Endgame demonstrated, magical alien artifacts don't exactly agree with the MCU's Tony Stark's constitution.

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021)
Release date: May 07, 2021
yitian

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today, Variety reported that Disney has again delayed the release of Black Widow, the next scheduled Marvel film, from November 6, 2020, to May 7, 2021.
Shang-Chi was first scheduled for February 12, then moved to May 7; it will now premiere on July 9, 2021.
Paul

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Shang-Chi has been pushed back again from a May 7th, 2021 release to July 9th, 2021. Which isn't too bad actually. Just 2 months later.

'Eternals' which had finished filming is moving from February to November which is quite a long delay and it leap frogs the others. It's interesting that Shang Chi is still filming yet hasn't been pushed back further.
yitian

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

‘Shang-Chi and The Legend of The Ten Rings’ Reveals Additional Cast
The Marvel Studios film opens July 9, 2021.
by Rachel Paige Published December 10, 2020
https://www.marvel.com/articles/movies/shang-chi-legend-ten-rings-cast

Opening Summer 2021, Simu Liu stars as Shang-Chi in Marvel Studios’ Shang-Chi and The Legend of The Ten Rings. Shang-Chi must confront the past he thought he left behind when he is drawn into the web of the mysterious Ten Rings organization.

The film’s cast also includes Tony Leung as Wenwu, Awkwafina as Shang-Chi’s friend Katy, and Michelle Yeoh as Jiang Nan. Additionally, Fala Chen, Meng’er Zhang, Florian Munteanu and Ronny Chieng appear in the upcoming movie, which is directed by Destin Daniel Cretton.

With production now wrapped, find the full cast below revealed during The Walt Disney Company’s 2020 Investor Day presentation by Kevin Feige, president, Marvel Studios, and chief creative officer, Marvel!

Paul

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EvI4Oq6XIAE46fG?format=jpg&name=900x900

First look at Shang Chi and Tony's character.
Tony is at the bottom right of the picture above the name "Wenwu"

Looking pretty awesome thumbright
yitian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lego for 3+ Laughing . The all black suit for the villain Wenwu, looks cool thumbright .

Picture re-posted from Paul's article link

Safran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MANY THANKS for posting these nice news, Paul and Yitian thumbleft
LEGO ...Looooong ago one of the favorite toys of my childhood ! Very Happy ( 3+ already ?! So times are changing....Laughing )
I like Wenwu Very Happy
Paul

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Lego for 3+

That's a suggestion. They have to put that on there.

Actually, the photo looks cropped. Possibly it's 33+

I'm getting it. Who doesn't want to own Lego Tony?
yitian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul wrote:
Possibly it's 33+

Laughing Laughing Laughing This will disqualify lots of fans owning a set...
Take the middle way, it maybe 8+, 13+ or 18+ Wink
Hopefully there will be a lot of movie related goodies.
Safran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll buy a "Lego Tony" asap ...in any case ! Laughing
yitian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw on Twitter
https://mobile.twitter.com/ShangChiBR/status/1368795990556372995/photo/1

Who’s the guy in black Think ? I could not find anything in better resolution... Sad
Paul

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The movie is getting a new release date. Now it has been moved to September 3rd 2021.

'Black Widow' is getting released in July in Cinemas and Disney+ premiere access. I guess it's a possibility that 'Shang-Chi' will be released in a similar way depending on how things go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> The Latest Tony News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: