TONYLEUNG.INFO
Discuss Tony Leung with fellow fans!

Welcome to the Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
  Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages   
Click here to go to Archival Tony Board (2003-2012)

Tony joins the Marvel Cinematic Universe
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> The Latest Tony News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:54 am    Post subject: Tony joins the Marvel Cinematic Universe Reply with quote

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/07/21/shang-chi-mandarin-tony-leung-mcu/
The film is due to be released in February 2021.

Quote:
The *real* MCU Mandarin will be played by none other than actor Tony Leung!

No Way! Shocked

Congrats to Tony. Can't wait to see the movie. Best news I've read all year. Such a big villain to play.
yitian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul. Although I haven't seen more than 90% of the Marvel films, I very much look forward to watching this one Laughing .

Below is the copy from your link. Sometimes a link changes or disappears, everything goes with it Sad .

Marvel Reveals Tony Leung Is Playing the Mandarin in Shang-Chi
By Kofi Outlaw - July 20, 2019 10:05 pm EDT
https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/07/21/shang-chi-mandarin-tony-leung-mcu/

One of the biggest unsolved mysteries of the Marvel Cinematic Universe has finally been revealed! During the Marvel Studios panel at San Diego Comic-Con, fans got to learn about what's coming in the Shang-Chi movie - and as it turns out, it has a lot to do with The Madarin.

In fact, Shang-Chi's official title is Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, so naturally, The Mandarin is going to be playing a big role in the story. Now that we know The Mandarin is stepping out of the shadows, Marvel has cast an actor to play him!

The *real* MCU Mandarin will be played by none other than actor Tony Leung!

This casting is a big deal, as it not only revisits the lingering issue of the Mandarin in the MCU, put may indicate that a big fan theory about Shang-Chi could turn out to be true: The Mandarin may replace Marvel Comics villain Fu-Manchu as Shang-Chi's crimelord father!

Here's the theory we've previously broken down about why the switch would work:

"In the case of The Mandarin, it's important to remember that the villain and his Ten Rings terrorist group first made their presence felt in Iron Man, working with Obadiah Stane to force Tony Stark to give them the leading edge in the modern tech arms race. Having failed in that task, and having their name and image abused by Aldrich Killian and AIM during Iron Man 3, Ten Rings has had all the time and reason in the world to prepare for a world without Iron Man - and to use Tony Stark's absence to establish themselves as the most powerful evil organization now operating in the MCU (RIP Hydra). By the time of the next big MCU crossover event, The Mandarin and Ten Rings could be pulling the strings at the center of the conflict, finally stepping out of the shadows to take on the new crop of MCU heroes.

Of course these aren't mutually exclusive ideas: Shang-Chi could introduce the "real" version of Mandarin and provide some foundation, while the larger Phase 4 storyline would pepper in teases of how the mastermind villain is manipulating events related to the Phase 4 films, building toward some big new crossover."

Shang-Chi creator Jim Starlin wants the change to happen, as Fu Manchu has no place in the MCU:

"Easier to say what I would not like to say out of Shang-Chi and that's Fu Manchu," Starlin told Popcorn Talk. "I'm hoping and I'm pretty sure they're gonna cut him out of the whole thing...I had never read a Fu Manchu book before we did Shang-Chi."
yitian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check this video out Very Happy

"SHANG-CHI & THE LEGEND OF THE 10 RINGS" | 2019 Marvel Comic Con
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fN04CYvxL0
Safran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many Thanks for posting the good news, Paul and Yitian.
I still do not know this Marvel story yet....but Tony in a main role as a villain makes me veeery curious about Very Happy

PS: Found this article today
https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/entertainment/article/3019592/five-reasons-why-tony-leungs-casting-marvel-villain?fbclid=IwAR2XsT8MHOvRExvuGVjIyYXBEliWW_-mUP_ArS8-77P1fcMCp6fHOlBXj-0
yitian

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Helga Exclamation . This is a very informative article thumbright . For the same reason above, I will paste your link below Very Happy .

Marvel’s Shang-Chi: five reasons Tony Leung’s casting is huge – Hong Kong actor to play villain The Mandarin
- Leung will be the first Hong Kong actor to star in a Marvel film, and his casting reflects the decision to make a film with China the main target market
- Chinese-Canadian actor Simu Liu and Asian-American actress Awkwafina have also been cast, and the film won’t feature controversial racist character Fu Manchu

Edmund Lee Published: 4:37pm, 22 Jul, 2019
https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/entertainment/article/3019592/five-reasons-why-tony-leungs-casting-marvel-villain

Tony Leung Chiu-wai’s casting in Marvel’s Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings makes him the first Hong Kong actor to take a lead role in a Marvel film.

The announcement of Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings at Comic-Con in San Diego, California, over the weekend makes screen legend Tony Leung Chiu-wai the first Hong Kong actor to star in a Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) film. Most eyes were on the casting of the first Asian superhero in producer Kevin Feige’s lucrative film series, but the confirmation of Leung’s role as the villain, The Mandarin, is far more intriguing. It sheds light on the narrative trajectory of the MCU’s upcoming Phase 4 and marks a major departure by Marvel: a film predominantly made with China in mind. Leung is joined by Chinese-Canadian actor Simu Liu and Asian-American rapper-turned-actress Awkwafina in the main cast. The film will be directed by Destin Daniel Cretton, known for the critically acclaimed film Short Term 12 (2013).

Here are five reasons why Leung’s role matters both on and off-screen.

Ben Kingsley played the fake Mandarin in Iron Man 3. Photo: Zade Rosenthal/Marvel

1. The Mandarin could succeed Loki and Thanos as the MCU’s next major villain

While he has so far only been mentioned in connection with Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, it is unlikely that Leung’s character will be a one-off presence in the upcoming Marvel films. The Mandarin was introduced to the MCU with 2013’s Iron Man 3, in which Ben Kingsley controversially played an actor posing as the legendary terrorist.

In the 2014 short film All Hail the King, again produced by Marvel and starring Kingsley as the fraudulent Mandarin, it was revealed that the real Mandarin, unseen in the film, is the mastermind behind The Ten Rings, a once dormant terrorist group, and that the character is “a warrior king [who] inspired generations of men through the Middle Ages, perhaps even further back in time”.

As the first MCU super villain to have his affiliates included in a film title, Leung’s character is clearly of vital importance to the story line – and possibly beyond the confines of the announced Shang-Chi film.

Leung (seen in MonsterHunt 2) is almost never cast as a baddy, but he could become Marvel’s next super villain.

2. It also means that we won’t have a Fu Manchu as the villain, thankfully

When news of Marvel’s plans to turn Shang-Chi into a live-action film broke last year, it was met with apprehension that the studio would also bring back the racist caricature of Fu Manchu, created at the time of the “yellow peril” phenomenon, born of fear of Chinese migration, in America in the early 20th century. Fu Manchu was Shang-Chi’s father in the original Marvel comics. Shang-Chi was half-Chinese, half-American in the comics.

Now that The Mandarin will be the antagonist in the Shang-Chi film, however, we can safely assume that Marvel has listened to Chinese critics and greatly reduced the role of Fu Manchu in the story, if not eliminated himr. For a progressive-minded producer who is known to champion meaningful representation in films, Feige has certainly made the right call here.

3. Leung, a Hollywood debutant, is a legitimate representative of Asian cinema
The Marvel films have long had Asian faces in notable roles – Wong (played by Benedict Wong) in Doctor Strange, Mantis (Pom Klementieff) in Guardians of the Galaxy, Minn-Erva (Gemma Chan) in Captain Marvel. With the Phase 4 films, though, we are seeing something new even to the MCU: the casting of Asian actors based in Asia. Leung is easily the highest-profile star from Chinese-language cinema to take a leading role in a superhero movie, dwarfing Fan Bingbing’s supporting turn as Blink in 2014’s X-Men: Days of Future Past. Meanwhile South Korean actor Ma Dong-seok ( Train to Busan, The Outlaws), also known as Don Lee, will play a key part in The Eternals alongside the likes of Angelina Jolie and Richard Madden.

Leung is already an icon in China and a mainstay in international art-house cinema (courtesy of all those Wong Kar-wai heartbreakers), but his American debut will finally see him join the ranks of Jackie Chan and Chow Yun-fat as Hong Kong stars who have taken on bona fide leading roles in mainstream Hollywood blockbusters.

4. Marvel plans to crash the 2021 Chinese New Year box office

There is no doubt as to why Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings has been given a release date of February 12, 2021 – it is the first day of that year’s Lunar New Year, and the start of the hugely lucrative “Spring Festival” period in China’s film release calendar. With Liu (best known for the Canadian sitcom Kim’s Convenience, but virtually unknown in China) cast as the titular “master of kung fu” and Awkwafina (star of Crazy Rich Asians, which flopped in China) in an unnamed role, it is left to Leung – by far the biggest attraction in the cast for Chinese viewers – to carry Shang-Chi in the world’s second-largest film market. After all, Leung’s 2018 Lunar New Year release, Monster Hunt 2, did break box office records in the first few days of its release in China.

Leung (centre) showed his fighting skills in The Grandmaster.

5. The role of The Mandarin will present a new challenge to Leung

It’s a thankless task for filmmakers to extract a touch of nuance and ambiguity from the villains of superhero movies, and Feige has done well to cast the most decorated actor in Hong Kong Film Awards history to help make his job easier.

Having won the best actor prize a record five times (for films including such classics as In the Mood for Love and Infernal Affairs), Leung should relish the prospect of portraying the mysterious bad guy – especially since he has seldom been given such an opportunity back home.

Thanks to his dapper appearance and benevolent demeanour, the actor has almost always been offered the part of the hero. The closest you might get to an anti-hero portrayed by Leung in recent years is his part as a collaborationist in Japanese-occupied China during World War II in Ang Lee’s Lust, Caution (2007), where he is still arguably the romantic lead!

Leung’s dedication to training for his roles also bodes well for fans of action cinema. While he didn’t start out as a martial artist (unlike Donnie Yen or Jet Li, for instance), Leung has more than proven his credentials as wing chun master Ip Man in Wong Kar-wai’s The Grandmaster (2013), a perfect showcase for the actor’s aptitude in combining the physical with the dramatic.

Last edited by yitian on Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
yitian

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to guess the 5th reason is also the main reason why Tony accepted role Wink .

Below is the YouTube link for the Marvel short "All Hail The King - Marvel One Shot Official Clip" mentioned in the article above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUU8OBEXhw8
Safran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

salute Giving a kiss Waving
Paul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yitian wrote:

Below is the YouTube link for the Marvel short "All Hail The King - Marvel One Shot Official Clip" mentioned in the article above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUU8OBEXhw8

Won't spoil the ending of 'All Hail the King' for those who haven't watched it, but I hope we get to see Ben Kingsley act opposite Tony.
yitian

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul wrote:
...... but I hope we get to see Ben Kingsley act opposite Tony.

This would be nice and amusing to see Very Happy
yitian

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iron Man 3 Writer Says Mandarin’s Return in Shang-Chi Wasn’t Part of a Grand Plan
By Cameron Bonomolo - August 2, 2019 08:15 pm EDT
https://comicbook.com/2019/08/02/iron-man-3-writer-mandarin-return-shang-chi-not-part-grand-plan/

Iron Man 3 co-writer Drew Pearce doesn’t believe there was a plan in place for the real Mandarin to later surface in Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, where the string-pulling villain will be introduced as played by Hong Kong icon Tony Leung Chiu-wai.

“I’d be lying if I said I knew there was a grand plan, and I would be surprised if there had been a plan,” Pearce told Inverse when promoting Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw.

2013’s Iron Man 3 revealed the supposed Mandarin to be actor Trevor Slattery (Ben Kingsley), backed by mastermind Aldrich Killian (Guy Pearce), who was trading on the name of the real Mandarin — a threatening presence alluded to in Pearce’s Marvel One-Shot: All Hail the King.

“I couldn’t be more excited,” Pearce added. “I was always super clear with [Marvel Studios President] Kevin [Feige] that Killian co-ops an ancient mantle and exploits it. All Hail the King backed that up, and it also was an excuse to hang with Trevor a bit longer.”

The decision to pit Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) against the Extremis-fueled Killian over an accurate depiction of his comic book archfoe was made out of a desire on Marvel’s part to avoid a character who was representative of “yellow peril” stereotypes.

“My approach to the Mandarin was inspired by the reason why I couldn’t use the original,” Pearce said.

“It’s very much a yellow peril stereotype with a particularly unsavory edge of propaganda used in this era. But that inspired the idea of what kind of propaganda is used [now]? The concept of demonization of the other, capital ‘O,’ we really flipped that concept.”

Because the sequel had “the context of a movie with a powerful white lead,” it was considered out of date to present a Chinese Mandarin.

“It felt deeply organic that the Ten Rings and the Mandarin mantle have been legitimately taken up,” he added. “There are versions of the Mandarin in the comics that are incredibly interesting and doable — the multinational technocrat Mandarin is a really attractive one.”

Pearce is next looking forward to seeing an authentic Mandarin in the context of Shang-Chi, where he’ll menace Marvel’s first Asian leading hero (Chinese-Canadian actor Simu Liu).

“I think it’s more exciting to me when you cast one of the most exciting names I’ve ever seen in a Marvel movie as the Mandarin,” Pearce said.

“When it’s a movie that has such an authentically Asian context, and an Asian lead and Asian filmmakers behind it, frankly, I couldn’t be more excited to see where the Mandarin goes next.”

Marvel Studios releases Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings February 12, 2021.
yitian

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched this one on YouTube - Marvel's All Hail The King One Shot. Very Happy
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mceyJxMuYFE
yitian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://observer.com/2019/09/marvel-shang-chi-details-destin-daniel-cretton-tiff-interview/

Exclusive: Destin Daniel Cretton on Breaking Stereotypes in Marvel’s ‘Shang-Chi’ By Brandon Katz • 09/10/19 9:15am

Disney’s Marvel Cinematic Universe is checking off a lot of firsts recently. Ryan Coogler’s Black Panther (which grossed $1.3 billion worldwide) was the MCU’s first blockbuster led by a predominantly African American cast and Captain Marvel ($1.1 billion), directed by Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck, was the continuity’s first solo film headlined by a female hero. The MCU is clearly making a concentrated effort to better reflect the diverse reality of today and they are making a mint while doing it.

Next up in the expansion effort is 2021’s Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, which stars Simu Liu as the mystical master of Kung-Fu, Tony Chiu-Wai Leung as The Mandarin and Awkwafina in an undisclosed role.

“It’s really exciting to me to be able to fill a movie like that with a bunch of Asian faces and be able to see of sides of these character than what we have seen before,” director Destin Daniel Cretton, whose latest film Just Mercy recently premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival, told Observer. “Growing up, I didn’t have a super hero that looked like me and it’s really exciting to give a new generation something I did not have. I couldn’t be more excited.”

Leung is a popular staple in Eastern cinema, but will be making his Hollywood debut in Shang-Chi. His villainous character, The Mandarin, first appeared in a 1964 comic as a megalomaniac conqueror with supreme intellect and fighting capability. However, Marvel’s original comic depiction was insensitive at best and the MCU attempted to reinvent the character in Iron Man 3 (played by Ben Kingsley) as a fictitious figure created by the movie’s antagonist Aldrich Killian (Guy Pearce) as a red herring. Cretton seems to be looking forward to humanizing the role and putting the character’s troubled origins in the past.

“I think [Leung] brings a humanity that we need for that character,” the director explained. “We are not looking to contribute anymore to the Asian stereotypes that we have seen both in cinema and pop culture. We’re hoping to just show some different sides to both Asian-Americans and Chinese-Americans and Mainland Chinese characters. Tommy is such an incredible actor and I’m excited to have him help us break some of those stereotypes because that villain could easily become a punchline.”

As is customary with all things Marvel, Shang-Chi is cloaked in impenetrable secrecy. When asked what genres and storylines he might be drawing on for the film, Cretton simply smiled and said, “Well, I can tell you it’s going to be a really good film.” We’ll take you’re word for it.

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings will hit theaters on February 12, 2021.
yitian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOMMY Shocked Laughing
Paul

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the film has been pushed back to a May 7th 2021 release date.

That's pretty good. It's only a short 3 month delay and May is a big month for movies opening in America. 'Doctor Strange 2' won't be out until November 2021 so 'Shang-Chi' is going to own the summer.
Safran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.facebook.com/108722189686/posts/10158447790809687/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> The Latest Tony News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: