TONYLEUNG.INFO
Discuss Tony Leung with fellow fans!

Welcome to the Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
  Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages   
Click here to go to Archival Tony Board (2003-2012)

The Grandmaster
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 26, 27, 28  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Safran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for attentively posting the link, Eri Smile
Unfortunately I could not watch Sad
Like Heike, I hope we´ll find a recorded version ....later.
yitian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics of Tony discussing The Grandmaster at University of Hong Kong

yitian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More pics at HKU

yitian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony met with audiences at a UA theater

Frances Chan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamaica wrote:
Yes, I've been seeing that AP report in various newspapers the last couple of days. I'm annoyed that it's the only international news going out, about the movie. It tries to make Tony look petty, which is ridiculous. If there is ANYONE, who understands how Wong works, who understands no scene is guaranteed to make the final cut, and understands that an actor is there to serve the vision of the director, it's Tony. Twenty years, and seven movies would've shown him multiple times how Wong works. I wonder if that reporter even knows that Tony's played smaller roles in Wong's film's? She seems to think he was the lead actor in all seven of those films, instead of one of an ensemble, and once with nothing more than a cameo.

As a fan of Tony, I am disappointed to hear that Ip Man really isn't the heart of this film. As a fan, I am angry that it took so long to make a film which won't be a landmark character in his canon of work (and I will say otherwise, if the film convinces me I'm wrong, when I finally get to see it). As a fan, my frustrations are that Tony's not getting any younger, and there are less roles available to him. There is so much more he can do, if someone will write character-oriented scripts for him, someone of WKW's calibre, but WKW simply takes too long. The Japanese film looked like a great opportunity, but the political situation keeps getting worse, so that's probably a lost opportunity. Who's going to give this man the work he deserves?

I am thankful, however, that for Tony, the real joy of being an actor is in the process of making the film, not the film itself, so though I am frustrated as a fan, I do know that Tony has experienced a whole life each film he makes, and has therefore, LIVED, which is the whole point of doing what you love for a living. It's really too bad that Heather Tan didn't take that into consideration - only judged Tony's experience through the eyes of an audience member, rather than trust Tony's words that he is content with whatever choices WKW makes with the film. Instead, she has to imply that Tony is some ego-maniac, and this one report is showing up in papers all over the US. It makes me feel bad for Tony, and everyone, who worked on the movie.

Btw, did Carina say those things on her blog? I'm curious, because she's always been as big a fan of Tony's acting, as the rest of us, and if it's true, then she sounds as frustrated as I feel, but at least she's seen the movie. I can at least say that when I see pictures of Tony, in character as Ip Man, he doesn't "look" like Tony, exactly, so there is that.

- Jamaica

Hi everyone ^^...I've been following The Grandmaster's news on weibo and here. There are so many articles and pieces of news but most of them in Chinese (you know I can't understand much Sad) and I feel like getting lost in the maze Very Happy .

Thanks a lot for posting gorgeous pics and interesting news, my pals Giving a kiss.

The masterpiece will be released in Vietnamese theatres in the next 8 days (exactly on Lunar New Year's Eve). At that time I have to be back to my mom's countryside to visit my aunt, so I am afraid that I can't enjoy it until a week later from the release date. I wil go with my friend who is also a big big fan of our dear Tony. I could imagine that it would be wonderful moments for us to see Tony on the panoramic screen. love

Dear Jamaica and fellow fans who haven't watched "The Grandmaster" Wink. I can't wait to see this movie anymore. Last night, I did watch it on website. The film was secrectly filmed in the theatre by someone, I guess. Although I couldn't see the movie clearly due to poor image quality, "The Grandmaster" is soooooooooooo enchanting that I have to watch it again and again this morning. Laughing Tony is more than WONDERFUL, more than CAPTIVATING. Laughing. He wins the halo and attraction in 2-hour movie, no doubt king. Zhang Zi Yi's performance is very OK, too Very Happy. We can see quite a lot of Tony's brave and strong action scenes which were directed charmingly, magically that you've never seen in any other action movies before Very Happy . Tony did bring not only the elegant and refined manner into Ip Man character but also bewitching kind of non-verbal expression. In Love . So Jamaica, you don't need to be frustrated any more Very Happy. I think that this Ip Man character will definitely come into the list of successful role of Tony rendeer ...

Tony proves himself to be the most professional and dedicated actor when he has attended all the promotions. No one can ruin Tony's image 'cause the visible truth always defeats rumours. Very Happy Tony's always a great actor, dedicator and ...a dear brother of mine Embarassed Dancing

Let's wait and enjoy the movie yourself, Jamaica... Very Happy. I assure it will gain your satisfaction because Tony is the core of this attractive movie sunny

Regards,
Frances
Eri

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you can watch here

Event Details

Supported by the HKU Culture and Humanities Fund, a dialogue on the film
"The Grandmaster" ¡m¤@¥N©v®v¡n was held at HKU.

http://www.daao.hku.hk/thegrandmaster/webcast/
Safran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Yitian:
Cordial thanks for the pack of good pics flower

To Frances:
Many thanks for sharing your first delighted TG-impressions flower
(I also can´t await to watch....haha) Wish you good luck for watching it on the big screen as soon as possible !

To Eri:
Thank you soooo much for posting the recorded dialoge with Tony on HKU ...soooo quick ! It works well ! flower
Eri

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the video, HK Univ.'s special tartan was presented to Tony.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.404387156297495.92124.113263185409895&type=1

http://www.tartanregister.gov.uk/tartanDetails.aspx?ref=10713
ham

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Yitian ,Eri Very Happy

ham

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yitian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Eri and ham Very Happy
Eri's video is now on Youtube too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9vRKCiXxAv0
yitian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony promoting The Grandmaster in Paris

Jamaica

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope we get to see the photo session shots! Smile Tony is too cool! Wink
Jamaica

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://m.zimbio.com/Kar-Wai+Wong/articles/rddBJL6QWsS/Tony+Leung+Chiu+Wai+gets+more+screen+time

Tony Leung Chiu Wai gets more screen time in The Grandmasters International Version
>>AsianArtists
By newswinoke - Feb-7-13 7:56am

TVB News World - Asian Entertainment News Daily

Tony Leung Chiu Wai gets more screen time in The Grandmasters International Version
Feb 7th 2013, 12:55

The 63rd Berlin Film Festival opens tonight, the Wong Kar Wai directed THE GRANDMASTERS (YUT DOI JUNG SI) will open the event. The film's leads Tony Leung Chiu Wai and Zhang Ziyi yesterday morning already flew from Paris for Berlin in preparation for the film festival opening.

The film's international version has 8 less minutes than the China and Hong Kong version of 130 minutes, but Wai Jai's role only increased. Two major scenes like Wai Jai's fight with Cung Le and Bruce Lee's childhood meeting with Ip Man would appear in the international version! Wai Jai said, "I never thought that my role was less in the Mainland version, so I don't feel anything too special about the added scenes. Instead I feel some adjustments to the story make it more intense!"

As for the fight scene wing Cung Le, Wai Jai remembered it like it was yesterday as he joked that he was already scared off before the shoot. "I already had pressure from working on a fight scene with him. Every time I saw him he would ask if I brought any protective gear, which added to my pressure. As the shoot went on, his martial arts truly were very high quality. He was able to control them at will. Our collaboration was very pleasant."

Because the international version was shorter, director Wong Kar Wai was in depth consideration finally removed some of Zhao Benshan's scenes. Because his role discussed kung fu with metaphors, foreigners might not understand. Thus he could only removed this part.
Jamaica

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:18 am    Post subject: Hollywood Reporter Reply with quote

http://m.hollywoodreporter.com/news/berlin-2013-wong-kar-wai-418839

Berlin 2013: Wong Kar-wai on 'The Grandmaster,' Hong Kong Cinema and 'Passing the Torch' (Q&A)
1:35 PM PST 2/6/2013 by Clarence Tsui

"My cinema is something that belongs to the Chinese people as a whole, and it shouldn’t be limited to just a certain geographical territory in a certain historical era," said the the veteran auteur.

Seated in a hotel suite off Place Vendome in Paris, Wong Kar-wai is in fine spirits. You would never know he has just flown in overnight from Bangkok, where he was working around the clock to finish the international cut of his latest release, the martial arts epic The Grandmaster. The new version that opens the Berlinale is about 13 minutes shorter and also went through a small change in structure.

Grandmaster has already been released in China to positive reviews and generated nearly $45 million at the box office, giving Wong his first bona fide blockbuster. As the film makes its international premiere Thursday night at the Berlinale Palast, audiences will be treated to a mix of stunning action choreography (by Yuen Woo-ping) and Wong’s trademark melancholy. The film is an account of how legendary martial arts masters Ip Man (Tony Leung Chiu-wai), Gong Er (Zhang Ziyi), her father Gang Baotian (Wang Qingxiang), The Razor (Chang Chen) and Ma San (Zhang Jin) navigate their lives in politically unstable times in 20th-century China.

Wong, who also presides over the festival competition jury, talked with The Hollywood Reporter about the last-minute fine-tuning of a project he conceived nearly 17 years ago and what the film says about contemporary China.

The Hollywood Reporter: Why did you decide to make an international version of the film?

Wong Kar-wai: The version [released in Asia] has elements which Chinese audiences will be familiar with but which will not be that familiar to foreign audiences. There’s so much information that people could easily become confused. For example, during Ip Man’s opening voice-over about his own background, he talks about his family having a business on Bonham Strand West [a traditional hub of import-export trade in downtown Hong Kong]. Hong Kong audiences will know what that means, but to foreigners it doesn’t mean anything. So we just changed it to how he was running a family business which exports goods to Hong Kong. We made adjustments like this so that international audiences know what it is about.

THR: The film has gone through quite a long period of gestation and production. How different is the final product from the original idea?

Wong: I started out wanting simply to look at Ip Man the person. Later on, however, I discovered what I really wanted to examine is the whole martial arts landscape. I think the biggest question for me was, “What made Ip Man so remarkable?” Some would say it’s because he had a disciple called Bruce Lee, but that would be ignoring something that is crucial: the circumstances which shaped Ip Man’s life. His life is a microcosm of contemporary Chinese history. He lived through the Qing dynasty, the early republican years, the northern conquest [by the government against warlords], the fight against the Japanese [during WWII] and finally the exodus to Hong Kong [during and after the Chinese civil war between 1945 and 1949]. If you don’t give a proper account of this background, you won’t be able to understand the difficulties he goes through. Among the Chinese, and especially among martial arts practitioners or artists, there is this very important notion of passing the torch. It’s about realizing how one doesn’t own what one’s learned. Receiving inherited wisdom from the generation of forefathers means there’s also a responsibility to pass it on. This is the burden a grandmaster has to bear.

THR: Is this something you can identify with as a veteran in your field?

Wong: I wouldn’t really say I’m a grandmaster, so there’s nothing autobiographical about the film. But I think just like what Ip Man did for martial arts, Hong Kong cinema needs a new way of thinking. The other day, while working in Bangkok, a friend gave me this 1990s book about Hong Kong films. The author was saying then how we’ve been making too many films for international markets and we were losing our own unique qualities. But we have to understand that Hong Kong films have been dependent on overseas markets from the very beginning; we’ve never been dependent on our own domestic market. And now you have all this talk about “going north” to tap the mainland Chinese market. But if Hong Kong films are really good, the sky’s the limit. You don’t have to rely merely on the mainland Chinese market. You shouldn’t really constrain yourself.

THR: So how does it feel now to be a Hong Kong filmmaker working on the mainland?

Wong: My cinema is something that belongs to the Chinese people as a whole, and it shouldn’t be limited to just a certain geographical territory in a certain historical era. It’s not like I have to make a film with mainland audiences in mind when we have mainland money in it — and in fact, there’s quite a bit of money from elsewhere as well.

THR: Can The Grandmaster also be seen as a chronicle of how Hong Kong became what it is, given that it ends with all the martial arts experts settling in the city and becoming part of its urban fabric?
Wong: That’s right. This is what I hope the film could be interpreted as. I’m happy now because I never expected the film could whip up so much debate and discussion about the city and what the martial arts masters’ roles were in its history. A lot of people were looking up information about the things we mentioned in the film, whether it’s the martial arts schools, which were set up there after the war, or other things we touched on in the story. This allows [Hong Kong] audiences to acknowledge, yet again, that we came from this very special place, and where the city’s vibrancy and core spirit stem from — that it’s a place that we should be really proud of.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Movies All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 8 of 28

Jump to: