TONYLEUNG.INFO
Discuss Tony Leung with fellow fans!

Welcome to the Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
  Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages   
Click here to go to Archival Tony Board (2003-2012)

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yitian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject: Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings Reply with quote

After a long wait, the first official teaser Trailer was released today
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giWIr7U1deA
yitian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An informative article

Simu Liu suits up in first look at Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
By Devan Coggan Updated April 19, 2021 at 09:54 AM EDT
https://ew.com/movies/shang-chi-and-the-legend-of-the-ten-rings-simu-liu-first-look/

Destin Daniel Cretton never wanted to make a Marvel movie. The 42-year-old director built his career on quiet, introspective dramas like Short Term 12, The Glass Castle, and Just Mercy — not exactly your typical superhero spectacle. He remembers telling friends that he had no desire to join the world of capes and comic book heroes — until he read a 2018 news report that Marvel was developing Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, its first film with an Asian protagonist.

"When that announcement came out, I just went instantly back to my childhood," Cretton explains. "[Growing up] all I had was Spider-Man. Because he had the mask on, I could dress up like Spider-Man for Halloween. I had a handful of other characters that looked like me on screen, but there were maybe two or three that I could choose from, and superheroes were not a part of that."

Cretton — who was born in Hawaii and is of Japanese descent — kept thinking about how his younger self would've reacted to a superhero movie with a predominantly Asian cast. So, he set a meeting with Marvel. "That's usually not the way director meetings start, by saying, 'You know, I was never interested in doing one of these,'" Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige says with a laugh. That Marvel meeting turned into another, then another, until before long, Cretton was standing in front of thousands of fans at 2019's San Diego Comic-Con, introducing the world to the kind of hero his childhood self had only dreamed of.

The result is Shang-Chi (in theaters Sept. 3), a sweeping superhero epic that combines emotional family drama with gravity-defying martial arts action. Chinese-Canadian actor Simu Liu stars as the young hero, who spent the first part of his life training to become an assassin under his father's strict tutelage. He's since walked away and tried to build a somewhat normal life in America, only to find himself sucked back into his father's sinister domain.

"The most exciting thing about stepping into this character was that his backstory has never been told before," Liu says. "We know so many different versions of Batman's origin story, how his parents were murdered when he was very young. We know Peter Parker, who was bitten by a radioactive spider, and he loses his uncle. Shang-Chi's story is very much unknown to most of the world, so we had a lot of freedom and creative liberty to make it the way that we wanted to."

He may not be a household name yet like his fellow heroes Iron Man or Captain America, but the idea of making a Shang-Chi movie is older than the Marvel Cinematic Universe itself. Created by Steve Englehart and Jim Starlin, the kung fu master made his comics debut in 1973 as a way for Marvel to capitalize on martial arts stories' popularity with American audiences. Stan Lee reportedly tried to develop a Shang-Chi film starring Brandon Lee as early as the 1980s, but the project never materialized. In the early 2000s, the then-nascent Marvel Studios started to assemble a notebook of comic characters who could potentially headline their own films — a notebook that included Shang-Chi.

Now, after a history of false starts, the martial arts master is finally getting his turn in the spotlight.

"The core of Shang-Chi's arc in the comics is really a family drama," says producer Jonathan Schwartz. "That was something that Destin keyed into really early on in our conversations, the idea of taking this broken family and this really dark, even abusive family background and seeing what that does to a child over time."

Bringing Shang-Chi into the MCU also meant updating some of his dated origins. The character's comic backstory has shifted through the years, and Cretton and writer Dave Callaham were eager to dispense with some of the early issues' racially insensitive cliches.

"When you look at the character of Shang-Chi through the comic books going back to the '70s and '80s, the fact that he existed and the fact that he was an Asian character was amazing," Liu says. "But at the same time, there are aspects of that portrayal of him that maybe could feel a little stereotypical. So when we first started to map out who this character was and what his journey was going to be over the course of this film, we were all very sensitive to not have it go into stereotypical territory."

Cretton says he wanted to tell a story about Asian identity that felt as lived-in and authentic as possible — part of which involved making sure Shang-Chi had Asian voices both in front of and behind the camera.

"Remember, the Asian culture is so diverse," he says. "I grew up in Hawaii, [and] Hawaiian food is like Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Hawaiian, Filipino, all mixed together. That is kind of what our crew was: It's like this big mix of Asian cultures coming together and responding to the script and [saying things] like, 'Oh, that doesn't feel quite right.' All of that helped contribute to what I think is a really beautiful update to what started in the comics a few decades ago."

"It was a level of Asian representation that I haven't seen, and I thought it was cool as an Asian American to watch," adds Crazy Rich Asians star Awkwafina, who plays Shang-Chi's close friend Katy. "It definitely explores different levels of identity."

When it came time to cast the charming hero, Marvel launched a global search for an actor of Chinese descent. They found him in the 31-year-old Liu, best known for his role as Jung Kim on the beloved Canadian sitcom Kim's Convenience. The actor had long dreamed of suiting up as a superhero — to the point where he was tweeting at Marvel as early as 2014, hoping to see an Asian-American hero join the franchise. When Shang-Chi was actually announced, he followed up with another tweet: "OK Marvel, are we gonna talk or what?"

"What was definitely not going through my head was, 'Hey, I'm going to tweet Marvel and they're going to get back to me, and I'm going to get this role,'" he says now, laughing. To his surprise, he actually received an invite to audition — and after officially landing the role in July 2019, he was on a plane just a few days later, headed to San Diego to join Cretton at Comic-Con.

When the film starts, Shang-Chi (pronounced like "song," not "sang") is living in San Francisco as a seemingly ordinary twentysomething. He's a bit directionless, and he spends most of his time hanging out with friends, like Awkwafina's Katy. She's one of his closest confidants, but she doesn't know much about his history or why he's no longer in touch with his parents. And she's definitely unfamiliar with the action-packed world of assassins and kung fu masters.

"She doesn't do a lot of the heavy lifting," Awkwafina says. "But at the end of the day, she has a real heart, and she has a loyalty and dedication to her friendship with Shang-Chi. She's super brave."

Shang-Chi's current life may seem average, but his past is anything but: His father Wenwu is a powerful, ancient figure who trained his son to follow in his criminal footsteps. It's been about 10 years since Shang-Chi learned of his dad's misdeeds and walked away. "This is not a 'Luke, I am your father' twist," Feige adds. "He knows who his father is, and he's decided to leave that world behind before he's pulled back into it."

To play the master villain, the filmmakers tapped legendary Hong Kong actor Tony Leung, known for films like Wong Kar-wai's In the Mood for Love and Chungking Express. "A character like Wenwu could have easily been a one-dimensional villain with no heart," Cretton says. "Tony opened this character up [so] this is an antagonist who has a deep ability to love." Wenwu and Shang-Chi's onscreen relationship is complicated, but off camera, Leung and Liu became fast friends, bonding over snowboarding. "He's a huge adrenaline junkie," Liu says of his cinematic dad.

Wenwu is a new character, created entirely for the Marvel Cinematic Universe. He has ties to the Ten Rings, the mysterious terrorist organization first name-dropped in 2008's Iron Man. As Schwartz and Feige put it, Wenwu has "gone by many names" throughout the decades — and one of those titles is "the Mandarin," one of Marvel Comics' most infamous villains. That name previously popped up in 2013's Iron Man 3, only for that version of the character (played by Ben Kingsley) to be revealed as a fraud, an out-of-work actor named Trevor Slattery. Leung's Wenwu is something new — and far more dangerous.

"I think people hear 'the Mandarin' and expect a very specific kind of thing, and that may not be the thing they're getting," Schwartz teases. "They're hopefully getting a more complex and layered take on the character than that name would lead you to."

Of course, you can't make a movie about the most skilled fighter in the world without choreographing some pretty elaborate fights. "I think this is the best action [Marvel has] ever done," Schwartz says. "Every punch is meaningful, every fighting style is meaningful, and the story is told visually in such a great way." Because Shang-Chi is a master at several different types of martial arts, Cretton drew inspiration from various sources, from the elegant, almost ethereal wushu style of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon to the more kinetic choreography of Jackie Chan's action-comedies. Supervising stunt coordinator Brad Allan was tapped to help unify Shang-Chi's various styles and schools of expertise.

For Liu, that meant throwing himself into training: The actor jokes that unlike some of his Marvel cohorts, Shang-Chi's face is never obscured by a mask, so he had to learn to do as many of his own stunts as possible. Almost as soon as he walked off the stage at Comic-Con in 2019, he began practicing different forms of martial arts and trying to bulk up without losing Shang-Chi's flexibility and agility. "I want to sit here and tell you that I was pretty good at martial arts before," Liu admits. "I had maybe worked a few days as a stuntman in Toronto. But really, my martial arts experience was like backflipping in my backyard when I was a teenager and doing parkour with my friends."

But even with all the high-flying kung fu action, Cretton always wanted to keep Shang-Chi grounded — and make a superhero movie his younger self would've loved.

"We wanted to make sure that Shang-Chi was just like any of us," Cretton explains. "I want to watch this movie and say, 'Yes, that's how I feel. I feel out of place sometimes, and I cover it up with humor.' He's a kid who is out of his element and a fish out of water here in the U.S., and he's covering it up with this charisma that I find very relatable."
yitian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings Reply with quote

yitian wrote:
After a long wait, the first official teaser Trailer was released today
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giWIr7U1deA

Very cool trailer. Tony looks and sounds great in this.
Safran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fully agree with Paul thumbright

Many thanks for posting quickly the good news, Yitian flower
yitian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul is right!! I "only" watched the trailer like 10 times so far Laughing .
yitian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone put the trailer under a "microscope" and went frame by frame, I wonder how much they got them right Laughing

Shang-Chi & The Legend Of The Ten Rings Trailer Breakdown: 27 Story Reveals & Secrets
The first trailer for Shang-Chi & The Legend Of The Ten Rings introduces an unexplored area of the MCU. Here are the biggest revelations and reveals.
By Matt Morrison Published 2 days ago
https://screenrant.com/shang-chi-movie-trailer-breakdown-story-character-reveals/

The first trailer for Shang-Chi & The Legend Of The Ten Rings has been released, offering audiences their first glimpse at a new world within the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The Shang-Chi trailer promises action and adventure, along with a redefinition of some of Marvel Comics' most interesting characters.

Shang-Chi was created in the early 1970's to capitalize upon the growing popularity of Asian self-defense techniques in the United States, after Marvel Comics failed to secure the rights to publish a comic book based on the television show Kung Fu. First appearing in Special Marvel Edition #15 in December 1973, Shang-Chi's adventures were an immediate hit and he soon became the first Asian hero at Marvel Comics to headline his own solo-series, The Hands of Shang-Chi: Master of Kung Fu. The series ran for 130 issues, including 125 monthly comics, one annual and four giant-size specials.

While it has been some time since Shang-Chi dominated the sales charts and his background has been reconfigured considerably over the years, he has remained an active part of the Marvel Comics universe and is widely regarded as the world's greatest unarmed combatant. It is only naturally then that Marvel Studios would seek to bring this legendary hero to life on the silver screen in a way that honors the history of the character while avoiding some of the more problematic elements born of the age that birthed him, such as his father originally having been Fu Man Chu. Here are the biggest reveals from the trailer for Shang-Chi & The Legend Of The Ten Rings.

27. Shang-Chi Can Break Wood With His Fists

One of the most common tests of skill for unarmed combatants in Kung Fu movies is for them to break several wooden boards with a single strike. This proves not only their strength but their ability to focus that strength to a single devastating end. The opening scene, in which viewers see Shang-Chi in what appears to be a small dojo, shows him inspecting a wooden support beam and a dent the size of his fist, which he then strikes with a half-hearted punch. This implies that he created the impressive dent over the course of his training.

26. Shang-Chi Has Been Living On His Own For Ten Years In San Francisco

The opening narration in the trailer establishes that Shang-Chi has been living on his own for 10 years. This was apparently a gift from his father and is suggested to be quite unusual for someone in Shang-Chi's position. Despite his father apparently being a man of means, Shang-Chi is shown to live quite humbly, working a job as a valet at the Fairmont Hotel while living in a one-room apartment. Furthermore, it differentiates the character from the comics, who entered society as essentially a "man out of time," since he lived a sheltered life beforehand.

25. Kung Fu Hustle

A quick scene set in Shang-Chi's modest apartment gives a nod to the film Kung Fu Hustle. Released in 2004, Kung Fu Hustle is widely considered to be one of the new wave of modern martial arts movies. Shang-Chi is apparently a fan, as he has a small poster for the movie on the wall by his bed.

24. Shang-Chi and Katy

The opening scenes establish the friendship between Shang-Chi and Katy; a co-worker whom it is said is still figuring herself out and is about to be thrust into a completely alien world because of her connection to Shang-Chi. Katy is played by acclaimed actress Awkwafina, who most recently played the role of Sisu in Raya and the Last Dragon.

23. A Whole New World

The fact that Katy's life is about to change seems to be foreshadowed by the scene where she and Shang-Chi go to a karaoke bar. While the Shang-Chi trailer doesn't include an audio track of their singing, it is clear from the screen that they are singing "A Whole New World" from Disney's Aladdin. This seems oddly appropriate, as the song was sung by a young couple discovering a world that is much bigger than they ever imagine along with young love.

22. The Real Mandarin

The Shang-Chi trailer offers the first glimpse of Tony Leung as Wenwu; a warlord described as being the real Mandarin and leader of a syndicate known as the Ten Rings. This is a change from the modern Shang-Chi comics, where Shang-Chi's father is an immortal sorcerer named Zheng Zu who leads a group known as the Five Weapons Society. Whatever the name, Wenwu is a man of great power who saw his son trained as an assassin in the hopes of forging a worthy heir to his empire.

21. The Masked Villain (Death Dealer)

The Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings trailer also offers the first glimpse of a mysterious masked warrior, who was one of Shang-Chi's more vicious instructors as a boy. Known only as Death Dealer, they are a member of the Ten Rings and will be a major enemy of Shang-Chi over the course of the film. Presumably they either see themselves as a more worthy heir to the Mandarin's legacy or are willing to avenge the slighted honor of their master when Shang-Chi refuses to join them.

20. A Young Shang-Chi

A montage in the trailer speaks to starts with Shang-Chi as a young boy, punching the same wooden pillar from earlier in the trailer repeatedly. This shows that his father began training him to follow in his footsteps at a young age.

19. Shang-Chi's Training

The next part of the montage speaks to Shang-Chi's upbringing, with the Mandarin noting that he was trained "so the most dangerous people in the world couldn't kill you." This montage shows a teenage Shang-Chi fighting multiple ninjas and winning.

18. A Blue Flash

In the flashback montage, the Mandarin leads a young Shang-Chi into a restaurant, before suddenly attacking a man in the middle of it. As he does so, blue light flashes around his fists. It is unclear if this is a manifestation of chi or some kind of magic, but it proves effective, whatever it is.

17. Shang Chi's Necklace

The flashback also reveals that Shang-Chi has a distinctive necklace. This is believed to be a keepsake of his beloved mother.

16. Shang-Chi's Mortal Kombat-Style Fighting Tournament

The trailer also hints at a fighting tournament, similar to the one in Mortal Kombat. At one point a crowd can be seen swarming around a steel cage arena. Death Dealer and another dangerous looking man are among those waiting to enter, as Shang-Chi himself enters the cage.

15. The Ten Rings

The Shang-Chi trailer also offers a glimpse at the Ten Rings: the organization controlled by the Mandarin. They appear to be the standard private army every world-conquering James Bond villain maintains, but there is ample reason to believe they are far more than that. If nothing else, their leader employs a variety of elite assassins more dangerous than common soldiers with guns.

14. Shang-Chi's Bracelets

At one point, Shang-Chi can be seen to be wearing a strange pair of gauntlets made up of rings that glow with a faint blue light. Could these gauntlets be a symbol of the Ten Rings? Or are they a magical artifact known as the Ten Rings?

13. A Shrine To Shang-Chi's Mother

One revealing detail emerges in the temple scene in which water gushes out to envelope Shang-Chi. A quick glance to the left side of the shot reveals a small shrine. This seems to be a memorial to Shang-Chi's mother.
yitian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Continue...

12. Shang-Chi's Powers

Shang-Chi is more than just a master martial artist. He also has the ability to harness his life-force (or chi) to further enhance his mind and body. There's some hint of this in the trailer, as he is able to react to the rush of water approaching him as if it were frozen in place.

11. Shang-Chi Refuses To Join His Father

While Shang-Chi's background in the comics has changed several times, along with the identity of his father, one point has remained constant: he is defined by his refusal to follow the dark path dictated by his father. The trailer marks this with a quick scene, shortly after Wenwu asks Shang-Chi to take his rightful place at his side, where Shang-Chi simply says, "That's not going to happen."

10. Death Dealer Vs. Shang-Chi

One of the most impressive parts of the trailer is a brief glimpse of a battle between Shang-Chi and Death Dealer. The fight scene also include a chase, which features Death Dealer jumping out of a helicopter in his pursuit of Shang-Chi.

9. The Forest Fight Sequence

Another breath-taking fight in the trailer takes place in a forest. The sequence seems to be a tribute to the 2004 wuxia romance House Of Flying Daggers.

8. A Familiar Necklace

At one point Shang-Chi does battle with a woman who is able to knock him down in a cage fight. She appears to be waring a necklace that is twin to his own or may be wearing his necklace, having taken it from him. In either case, this would appear to be Xialing, Shang-Chi's estranged sister.

7. An Impressive Sword

In one quick shot, Shang-Chi is seen fighting one of his tournament opponents in close-quarters on a moving bus. The bearded opponent is armed with a sword that appears to be mounted on the end of his arm in place of a lost hand and glows with red energy. It is unclear if this effect is magical, technological, or based around chi.

6. The Battle Inside The Temple

Another quick cut shows Shang-Chi fighting another man inside of a Buddhist temple. Shang-Chi can be seen wearing his full costume in this scene (highlighted in the movie's first official poster as well), unlike in most of the other fights shown in the trailer.

5. The Battle Outside The Temple

One of the more interesting clips in the Shang-Chi trailer depicts a mass battle outside an ancient Chinese temple, with soldiers on horseback riding in to attack. This, coupled with the Mandarin's narration, suggests that he has been around for hundreds of years and that his plans for conquest have been waged on a grand scale for quite some time.

4. A Fight Scene On A Bus

The Shang-Chi trailer ends with a dramatic fight that pits Shang-Chi against multiple opponents on a moving San Francisco bus. The fight is notable for how it displays Shang-Chi's acrobatic prowess in a compressed space.

3. Foo Dogs

Large four-legged creatures pop up at several points during the trailer, fighting alongside the monks defending one temple. While they look giant lions, they are actually Foo Dogs; a creature from Buddhist mythology said to protect sacred sites from defilement.

2. MCU Spider-Man Character Cameo

Quick-eyed viewers can spot a familiar looking figure sitting on the bus watching Shang-Chi's fighting. It is actor/comedian Zach Cherry, who played the street vendor who commanded Spider-Man to do a flip for him in Spider-Man: Homecoming.

1. Shang-Chi's Hand Gesture

The Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings trailer ends with Shang-Chi striking a dramatic pose before the astonished commuters. Fans of the comics will recognize this as Shang-Chi's trademark stance.
yitian

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pre Tony’s Birthday Celebration: Marvel Studios’ Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - Official Trailer #2
love
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YjFbMbfXaQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVLCV9-PI3Y (With Chinese subtitle)
Safran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

salute Many thanks for posting the links, Yitian ! flower
yitian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trailer #3 Very Happy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COGg-Vjauwo
Safran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many THANKS for posting the new trailer, Yitian flower

Btw: Enjoyed reading the recent Tony-articles you posted, just right now thumbleft

Stay healthy and safe ...and have a beautiful weekend everyone Waving Smile
Paul

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E7i9K9NUYAoXE_X?format=jpg&name=large

New Poster with Tony looming in the background. Very cool.

Also a featurette video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlYYWLOTqIM
Safran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Tony looks great ! love
( and the "dark" poster is psychologically interesting arranged )
yitian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One month to go... Does anyone fancy a calendar Very Happy Question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Movies All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: