TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> The Latest Tony News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tin-Yau

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject:

sparkles_n15 wrote:
You think they'll make him take a two month crash course in Cantonese? ...

A two month crash course in canto? With great result?! Put me in for two courses. Laughing
Now serious, I`m fighting since ... ahem ... omg it`s almost 3 years already - with slooow progress. I think it`s not possible to get it within such short time. Confused
Jamaica

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject:

He's probably going to learn the lines phonetically. Not that it isn't difficult, it is, but it's not the same thing as learning the language. The press always goes overboard about when an actor has to learn something for a role - a musical instrument, a language, or whatever. Like Jenny said, it's still just faking, ultimately. Shota might learn to speak his lines in passable Cantonese, but that doesn't mean he could be dropped off in Hong Kong, and be able to use the language. Lol! The press always makes it sound like the actors are going to be fluent or something.

I can blow a cornet, honk my way through a tune, but I can't integrate with a jazz band, and improvise. That's a whole other ballgame. Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject:

Jamaica wrote:
He's probably going to learn the lines phonetically. Not that it isn't difficult, it is, but it's not the same thing as learning the language. l:

Yes, I think that is the only way. 2months is too short to learn any language up to native speaker level. Crying or Very sad
Just copying the sound of native speaker is the only way.

To do this, I think Cantonese is easier for Japanese speakers, because some sounds in Mandarin is never used in Japanese language, and very difficult to pronounce. (probably need special mouth movement training even to copy the sounds)

Dear Tin-Yau, 3 Years ? Never mind. I've been trying for more than 10 years, and very very slow progress. Crying or Very sad I can never think of becoming fluent in Cantonese. I only hope to understand and communicate reasonably. Embarassed
Jamaica

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject:

Dear Tin-Yau, 3 Years ? Never mind. I've been trying for more than 10 years, and very very slow progress. I can never think of becoming fluent in Cantonese. I only hope to understand and communicate reasonably.

It's commendable that you'd even try, even if you never become fluent. Most people don't make the effort, if they actually have the time to do so. Even learning a little is more than learning nothing. I've been picking up what I can of Cantonese, Mandarin, and Korean. I doubt I'll ever learn any one of them enough to be of any real help, but it's not an unhealthy way of keeping one's mind busy. Just keep at it, and maybe one day you'll be pleasantly surprised by how much you've learned. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject:

My deep respect...and compliments Applause to all of you, who try ! thumbleft
Eri

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject:

Thank you, Jamaica.

I will keep on trying. Wink

Wherever I travel, I can use some travel phrase book and say simple words to express what are my requirements. Even if my pronunciation is not perfect, usually people understand what I mean in most languages. BUT not in Cantonese, if you don't say words in correct tones, people don't understand you because of the complicated tone system. Crying or Very sad

That's why it takes very long time to learn Cantonese. I have to remember both sounds and correct combination of tones for each words. Even the phonetic sound is perfect, if the tone is not correct, it might mean something completely different or doesn't mean anything to Cantonese speakers. Sad

It is an interesting language anyway. Very Happy

Sorry it is not the topic about Tony's movie. Rolling Eyes
Jamaica

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject:

Yes, I know what you mean about Cantonese - if the pronunciation doesn't mess you up, the tone certainly will! I've been using the Pimsleur language system, which just teaches you the language through sound, only - no written material to distract you from what you're hearing on the cds. They start you off with three tones, within the first five lessons, and then beyond that, they bring in phrases that require learning more tones. It seems to be the most common sense approach - learning language by sound, the way we all do from childhood. Just wish I'd started learning Cantonese in childhood! Forty is too old to start a new language, with any expectation of being able to use it to any real extent, but it's better time spent than spying on the neighbors. Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: More "1905"

http://thefilmstage.com/news/from-2046-to-‘1905’-–-tony-leung-making-japanese-debut-with-crime-period-piece/

Nothing much new, but there's a pic of Tony from one of Cartier things in the last couple of years/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:22 am    Post subject:

Eri wrote:
Dear Tin-Yau, 3 Years ? Never mind. I've been trying for more than 10 years, and very very slow progress. Crying or Very sad I can never think of becoming fluent in Cantonese. I only hope to understand and communicate reasonably. Embarassed

Me becoming fluent in Cantonese? scratch Maybe in my next life. Embarassed
Tin-Yau

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:25 am    Post subject:

Eri wrote:
It is an interesting language anyway. Very Happy

Sorry it is not the topic about Tony's movie. Rolling Eyes

Yes it is a very interesting language, maybe we should start a "Struggling with Cantonese" topic? Smile
sparkles_n15

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject:

Tin-Yau wrote:
Yes it is a very interesting language, maybe we should start a "Struggling with Cantonese" topic? Smile

Hehe, I will offer my help if anyone needs it. Practicing with native speakers is the best way to learn. Very Happy
Tin-Yau

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:39 am    Post subject:

Oh, help is needed and welcome!
study
sparkles_n15

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject:

Now if only I could get some help with my Japanese
*cough cough* Wink

But yes, just let me know how I can help!
Eri

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject:

sparkles_n15 wrote:
Tin-Yau wrote:

Hehe, I will offer my help if anyone needs it. Practicing with native speakers is the best way to learn. Very Happy

Thank you Jenny,

I will ask you if I have any question.

My problem is "not enough opportunity to speak Cantonese" in Japan.
I wish I could visit HK more often. Also I should speak more Cantonese and less English when I visit there.

If you need any help with Japanese, I am happy to help you. Wink
In The Mood For Leung

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject:

Thanks all for the updates Smile

The storyline sounds interesting and intriguing.
Chances are we'll see this film before we see The Grandmasters. Razz
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> The Latest Tony News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: