TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

Football World Cup in South Africa
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Get to know each other
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Safran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:33 am    Post subject: Football World Cup in South Africa

Dear Japanese friends !

I am not a real Football-Fan at all, but was curious about this Match

JAPAN : KAMERUN !!!

I am watching at the moment - Sounds rough and tough - but is more confused and boring - till now.

Hold my fingers crossed for Japan - haha Wink
(Austria does not take part - too bad football players)

Greetings
Helga

ended 1 : 0 (without glory )
Yuka

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject:

Hi Helga,

I didn’t expect Japan to win so it was a surprise. I’m not a patriot who suddenly starts wearing same soccer uniform and waving a flag
…so I didn’t even turn TV on ..haha
Next match is against Holland , so very little chance. But I hope players are enjoying this biggest stage and keep fair play!!

BTW, I watched Matthew Bourne’s "Swan Lake" (very famous for the final scene in “Billy Elliot “ known in Japan as ”Little Dancer “
with Adam Cooper playing the Swan himself). I saw their stage in N.Y. about 10 years ago Shocked ,
although the casts are changed, it’s still very entertaining!! Very Happy
Safran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:25 am    Post subject:

Dear Yuka !

The only time I watch football/soccer on TV, is World-Championship - and only Teams I am interested - or - Favorits against Outsiders.... (like yesterday for example- Brasil:North Korea - 2:1 !!!!)
So I probably will watch the matches of Japan and Southafrica.....further on - guess why ? - hahaha.

I like to listen Tschaikowsky very much, but have never seen the Ballett "Schwanensee" on stage. Yes, some scenes in TV (Nurejew, Bolschoi Ballett.....) some and when - and Billy Elliot.... but as Austrian I have to say "Shame on me" !
Matthew Bourn´s "Swan Lake" I would like to see somewhen - prefered with an Ballett-Connaisseur like you !

Helga
Yuka

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:48 am    Post subject:

Hi Helga,

It’s really funny to see everybody around me (not only in media) turning into soccer critics so suddenly. Laughing
No doubt this is the top football tournament in the world and also a big money business as Olympics…. in reality.

I like classical Swan Lake, too. (Helga, you’re from the home of German –Austria based great musicians,
so it’s me who need to learn from you !!)It’s interesting to see how M. Bourne interprets famous tunes into his original version.
They ‘ll be back in UK after Tokyo for a national tour. Ticket costs about 140 US Dollars in Japan .

BTW, I saw a Japanese movie called ”Kokuhaku”(Confession) by Tetsuya Nakashima several weeks ago.
Quite dark but structure is unique based on the best seller novel with the same title.
I’m not sure if it’s been sold to European market, but if you have chance to see it in film festivals etc.,
I’d love to hear your review. Very Happy
Safran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject:

Hello Yuka !

Unfortunately so it is Yuka - Nowadays everything is "business" - thats why I like the idea/ philisophy of former Austrian Economist, Political Scientist ......Leopold Kohr : "Small is beautiful" !smurf
Wink
Would like to see M.Bourne´s interpretation of "Swan Lake" - and I really think in matters of Dance and Classical Music, you are obviously better informed and more familiar than me !Embarassed
Living here, does not make me to an music-expert or Viennese-Waltz-Dancer automatically - haha!
(BTW: Even it is wonderful, the price for the ticket is definitly too high - who can afford ? - no culture-support ? )Rolling Eyes

I hope to watch "Confession"-Kokuhaku here somewhen - on a Festival probably. I´ll keep my eyes open and will tell you!

See you
Helga
Safran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:07 am    Post subject:

Hello again Yuka & all interested -

Just watched the Trailer of "Confession" - visually stunning !

http://blog.affenheimtheater.de/en/2010/03/13/confession-kokuhaku-trailer-tetsuya-nakashima/
Eri

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject:

Hello Yuka and Helga,

It is not about the football, it is about the movie.

I also like the movie [Kokuhaku]¡]Confession) very much.
I'd already read the book before the film, and very interested in how the unique director like Mr. Nakashima made this story into the movie.

The Director didn't make me disappointed even though my expectation was quite high. It is a great movie to show today's problems (at school, at home, prejudice, crime without guilty feeling, love and forgiveness) with great entertainment.
Of course it is also scaring to think about there are some children with no sympathy or feeling toward others (there are some incident to believe this recently), so we have to regret about our society for creating them.

I've read that this was already sold to Hong Kong, Taiwan, Ireland and the UK, and Germany, France and the US were interested in buying.

Some re-make right offers were made, and the director said (he said it was a joke later) "I want Nicole Kidman to do the main teacher's role", but I think this is very Japanese story and not so suitable to re-make in another culture.

Helga, I hope you have a chance to watch this at somewhere.

Trailer with English
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__-SsA0sHz8

and the Radiohead's rare song was used.
Safran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:10 am    Post subject:

Hello Eri!

Thank you for the Engish Trailer !
Isn´t it a simillar theme ( from another point of view) like Lee Chang-dong´s- "Poetry" -Best Screenply in CANNES- too ?

Uffffffff - Nicole Kidman again !(even it was a joke, she seem to impress many Asian Filmmakers - hahaha) Wink

Growing youth-problems(criminality) :
I think it is quite simillar in most "business-and consumption-oriented " countries ( havent we already discussed - somewhen?)
Lost or wrong values in a fast-moving, superficial society........ more and more overburdened parents, unable to cope ,.... busy with raising of money, breathless and tired...........Always too little time for talking and laughing together, watching changes, asking for interests and listening to the needs of all family members, ..............

Desperate Times - a problem for the future !
We need not wonder the "results" !

See you -
Pessimistic Helga Crying or Very sad
Yuka

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:20 am    Post subject:

Hello Helga, Eri and everyone,

It’s not the characters (actors and actresses) that stand out in this movie,Kokuhaku, but
the storyline that won’t make you bored but make you think.

I haven’t watched Lee Chang Dong’s Poetry, yet.
I think his films make audiences to suffer with heavy theme but I like his Oasis, so far…

I had an impression "Kokuhaku"is something like Gus Van Sant movie with more commercial and entertainment elements.
But as Eri mentioned, this film is unique and successful in demonstrating a part of Japanese society.

Eri wrote:
and the Radiohead's rare song was used.

I already have Radiohead’s album “In Rainbows” but “Last Flower” is available on" In Rainbows Disk 2 “ !!! Crying or Very sad
a very good song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxYemY8CQaw
Safran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject:

Hello Yuka and Eri!

Have unfortunately seeen neither-nor .
I meant the topic/thema is simillar - but from different angles-( So far I understood - from engl. reviews, interviews, articles and trailers......)

Would like to watch both and talk about with you - then - if ever ?

Thanks for the RH song !

Kind regards
Helga
Eri

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:13 am    Post subject:

Hello Helga,

I don't know much about "Poetry", so I can only inform you about "Kokuhaku".

This movie portrayed very dark side of apparently very good (study hard and earnest) teenagers.
Soon after I watched this movie, I watched the news about a girl suddenly stubbed another girl next to her in the classroom with a knife, just because "she was noisy and saying something bad about her friend".

She was also a good student with no apparent problem except she asked her teacher to change her seat in the classroom to not so close to this noisy girl.

This girl didn't show any sympathy to her classmate (even if she doesn't like her, is it a reason for such an extreme act ?) or couldn't imagine another girl's pain at all. I guess everyone at this school (teachers, students) and their parents were really shocked.

I thought it was just like this movie. (although the story of the movie is not so simple)
Safran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:03 am    Post subject:

Thank you Eri - hello girls !

Yes, it is frightening how violent and brutal young people are sometimes to each other - especially nowadays ??? I am not sure.

Thanks for information -

Already written the message for Tony - and sent to Info - girls ?

Have a nice evening~
Helga
Eri

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Safran wrote:

Yes, it is frightening how violent and brutal young people are sometimes to each other - especially nowadays ??? I am not sure.

Helga, I agree that there has been always some violent people in anywhere in the past and present, however the thing made me frightened the most was that the girl in this news didn't show much emotion, not even anger.

She had stolen the knife she used from a near by shop on the previous day (so this was planned) but stubbed the girl even without standing up just like borrowing a pen or something during the class. Shocked
Probably, she didn't even feel guilty.

I don't know if the act like this is common in any "business-and consumption-oriented " countries, or recent Japanese society brought them up. Sad

BTW, I've already sent the message to info.
Safran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:37 am    Post subject:

I did understand what frightened you most - Eri

My view:

-- I think this is not an exclusive Japanese problem - but perhaps the traditional Japanese society-system and mores are a "fertile soil " ?

-- Not to show emotions does not mean not to have emotions

-- There will always exist people that are sick, or cross borders.....are like animals....

-- Media reports are not always objective, as we know........people are sensationalists and press and media "feeds the hungry beast "!

Confused Helga -

P.S:

I´ve already sent my BD-Congratulation for Tony - to Info also !

Best news:
Since one hour, I am a "fresh" and proud mother of a Graduate Engineer ("with honors") Very Happy
Yuka

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:22 am    Post subject:

Hello everyone,

Juvenile law is one of the issue in Kokuhaku(Confession), so it’s shocking to know this kind of accident happens not on TV or movie but in a real life.

Safran wrote:
-- Media reports are not always objective, as we know........people are sensationalists and press and media "feeds the hungry beast "!

It's very frightening that some people believe media reports and hearsay information etc. etc. so blindly and easily.

Talking about school life, I watched”Entre Les Murs (The Class) “by Laurent Cantet. It’s 2008 Palm d’Or , so may be many of you may have already watched it. A fiction but shot in documentary style . I enjoyed it very much. Sorry to know this movie is played in only one theater in Tokyo.

My uncle, who is Swedish ,was visiting Tokyo and recommended me to watch a Swedish film,” Let the Right One in.” It has won many prizes, but I didn’t think I have a chance to watch it here. But I found out it’s coming to Japan next month Very Happy . The trailer is visually quite shocking Shocked Shocked , too…..haha.

PS
Helga, you mean little T made it ??
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Get to know each other All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: