TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

How is Valentine's Day Celebrated in Japan?

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Random Thoughts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
suellen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: How is Valentine's Day Celebrated in Japan?

To our Japanese fan friends:

I was interested in how Japanese men celebrate Valentine's day in Japan if at all...

My husband is Japanese Canadian (3rd generation) and doesn't even speak Japanese any more...I was just curious since Valentine's Day is coming up soon....

Thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:06 am    Post subject:

Hello suellen,

You'll be shocked by this. Shocked ha ha ha.

In Japan, girls and wives give Chocolate or some presents to boys or husbands. Unlike other countries, women are only giving and not receiving anything on Valentine's day.
All the department stores and shopping malls are full of Chocolate (ready made and kits for hand made chocolate etc) near the time.

It used to be a very important day for girls to confess that she loves him with a carefully chosen chocolate, but now it became more commercialized and some of the male co-workers or bosses are expecting the female workers to give them some chocolate.
(they are called "Giri Choco". Giri means obligation, so just giving chocolate as a compliment and not with any feeling. Rolling Eyes )

Why don't you give a bar of chocolate with a card to your husband, following Japanese style ? He might be pleased. Very Happy
Yuka

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:57 am    Post subject:

Most of you will be surprised if you see Valentine chocolates craze here..
Many pâtissier from Europe visit Tokyo around this time for promotion. They know Japan is a big market.
(It’s fun to see many chocolates from all over the world but fattening if you try tasting them all.)
I have to buy giri-choco , too. Laughing May be it’s a good opportunity for communicating with colleagues.
But nowadays, girls buy chocolates for treating themselves. Wink
I feel sorry for guys because they are expected to give presents at least twice the price
of the presents given on what we call White Day Shocked (March14) I think this is very commercial, too.
mary

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject:

Hi Yuka and Eri

Thanks for telling us about valentines day in Japan, really interesting. Do I sound selfish when I say can't believe the women have to woo the men by gift giving. Also didn't know chocolate has a major role, I like that idea.

Here valentines day like most big days has become commercial obviously money to be made. Years ago people just sent cards to their loved ones.
The cards were usually sent anonymously with romantic verses and clues to your identity.

Now as well as cards alot of men and women buy eachother gifts so the day can be as expensive or inexpensive as you want. Flowers, chocolates and champagne are the more traditional gifts. Some people may also go out for a meal or treat their loved one to a small break away in a nice hotel.

Obviously love isn't measured by gifts that are bought it's shown in the way you respect and treasure your beloved. It's nice to have a special day for love we all deserve a little or hopefully alot of romance in our lives so valentines day is appreciated...best wishes...mary.
suellen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Yuka and Eri that information was really interesting and it's sad that the chocolate giving turned into a formality.

You have to tell me more about White day March 14...

I gave my husband a card from me and from the kids. He gave me chocolates then again he's always feeding my chocolate addiction. I'm kinda glad he's not really Japanese anymore...

Thanks everyone for the info.
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Random Thoughts All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: