TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

Hello dear guys, Wake up !
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Get to know each other
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mary

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:56 am    Post subject:

Hi Mimma

Yes, we have Epiphany (we spell it differently).
We don't have any big celebrations but it's still a religious holiday.
It's the last day of the traditional Twelve Days of Christmas, Little Christmas.

I stick to tradition and this is the day I take down my Christmas decorations. If supersticious it's believed to be unlucky to leave the decorations up after this date.

In earlier times decorations were only put up on Christmas Eve and taken down on the 6th January. In recent times Christmas starts earlier here some people put up their trees etc in early November (in my mind far too early) so as soon as Christmas Day is over they remove them. I usually put mine up round 2nd week of December this year it was earlier because I had visitors from England and wanted to make their visit a little more special.

I like the Italian custom on Epiphany the children must love it sounds wonderful.

Best wishes...mary.
mary

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:27 am    Post subject:

Hi Mimma

Me again, meant to ask has your daughter gone back to university yet? Hope she has safe journey as England is suffering bad weather at the moment not as cold as Tony in China but there's been snow. England isn't used to alot of snow so transport is a bit chaotic.

Alot of countries seem to have been affected by this cold front. Here it's been colder than usual -4 being the coldest. The whole country affected by heavy frost and icy conditions some snow but not much where I live. The frost looks like snow turns to ice and hasn't cleared away for a week now obviously care has to be taken on the roads.

Shouldn't complain as other countries have it alot worse.
Best wishes...mary
katwoman64

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject:

Hi Mary,
I knew about the bad weather, read it on internet. Marghe will leave tomorrow, so I am totally absorbed in spending as much time with her as I can.

Moreover, my siblings want to spend some time with her, and there is a string of dinners together. Yesterday my little sis came from Sicily and today evening I will go at mom's for dinner. I swear that when Marghe will go away I will diet to detox all these cakes and sweets and lasagne and cannellloni and whatever I have eaten these last few days.

By the way, my daughter came home bellowing for a dish of pasta. Any type. She said that english food is not all that bad, but that in England nobody seems to know what pasta "al dente" means.

I think I have to resume my writing down my recipes.

About the Christmas decoration, traditionally we take them out on december 8, celebration of the Immacolata Concezione (Siring without sin?) and removed on the January 6, the Epiphany, the day the Three Kings came to celebrate the Holy Birth. Yes, it's a big thing for children, but for adults too. Yesterday here we had a very nice weather. The center of Rome was packed full of people out walking with their children, many shops were opened, not to mention the traditional Piazza Navona's Christmas market and a lot of people was having lunch outside. Marghe, a friend of mine and me had a great time together.

Oh, about crazy historical decorations: yesterday two chinese tourists asked us where was the Cemetery of Cappuccini. This is a crazy place: straight in the middle of Rome, at the bottom of the famous Via Veneto, it's the cemetery of an order of priests called Cappuccini. The name "cappuccino" comes from the color of their gowns, not grey, not brown. Well, in this cemetery, that is a church, the bones are used as decorations, and they cover all: walls, ceilings, alcoves, even the floor. Artistically. Even a princess donated her own skeleton to be put on the walls. Ha Ha Ha!!! I think I shocked you!

Well, that's all for now.

Kiss Bye Bye
Mimma

Sadako Sasaki
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Get to know each other All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: