TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

To Japanese Fans
Goto page Previous  1, 2

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Get to know each other
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eri

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject:

Dear Yuka and Paul.

I wish I could watch these films in Tokyo.

At the moment I haven't had a chance to watch "Thirst" or "Spring Fever" and I really looking forward to watch them even in format of DVD, (because it might not be shown in Japan except at film fes.) though your impression of the "Thirst" was probably not up to your expectations.
Eri

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject:

Dear Helga,

I guess you liked "Thirst" more than others because you could understand the director's "Dilemma" better. I've read Park Chan wook's interview before. He said "he was brought up as a Catholic and wanted to be a priest (BTW, just like John Woo), so although he wanted to make this movie, it should be a very difficult theme for him. I guessed he was trapped between the emotional desire for a director to make such a movie and the fear of the sin and the respect for what he believes, if the plot was defocused as Yuka said.
I think that's why this film is difficult to understand for both people who believe the religion and the people who don't have much faith in religion (like most of us in Japan we know good and bad but we don't feel or understand the sin as much as others in the world).
Maybe I am wrong, but I think you have a very clear view and understand these.

http://www.landmarktheatres.com/letters/thirst.htm
Eri

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject:

Dear Kat,

Nice to see you again here.
When Tony is reading your comment, he would be dreaming of "Red Wine".

As he said before, he doesn't drink at all while he is working on the film and he probably has to wait until next year. Wink

Drink a little for Tony ! Very Happy
Yuka

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:33 am    Post subject:

Hello everyone!

Safran wrote:

For me "Thirst" is a kind of "Persiflage"(you understand ?)

I think you’re right .( I had to look up the dictionary for this word. Now I’m getting one-word wiser ! Thanks, Helga.)
Director Park Chan wook was a renowned film critic before becoming a film director, so he knows very well how to test and trick the audiences.
After shooting so-called 3 revenge trilogy, his works were shifting to adopt more comedy scenes in his movie.
I think he’s good at balancing tragedy and comedy, fiction and reality by including several funny(i.e. black humor) scenes in “Thirst”
At first, I thought, like “Cyborg”, “Thirst” setting can be adapted to other locations , but after reading Eri’s comment,
I was reminded South Korea has many Christian population in South East Asian region.
Story is simple and Song Kang-ho is very good at expressing his dilemmas(sins, atonement, agony etc.)
Some scenes reminded me of " I COME WITH THE RAIN"
“Thirst” will be in theater in Feb. so Eri ,you’ll understand what I’m saying (i.e. some scenes in the movie)if you watch this film Wink .

Hello Kat,
Actually there’s a scene where the main character drinks red wine frequently because of his profession…
Whether they're novella or old/matured vinos, I guess I have to drink a lot to decide what is good for me Drunken

Hi Helga,
I don’t think I’ll be scared of Thirst(y) vampires if they appear in my dream.
Their acrobatic movements are so funny. I’ll be laughing while I’m dreaming. Very Happy
FYI, The Chaser is already sold to Hollywood for a remake with L. DiCaprio

Quote:
Drink a little for Tony !

Kat and Eri, I don’t think you 2 are drinker. So if you don’t drink, I’ll drink for you 2 and Tony.
You don’t mind do you ? I’m afraid I’ll be an alcoholic by Christmas. ha-ha Shocked Shocked Shocked Wink Wink Wink

Yuka
Safran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject:

Hello Yuka !

I cannot see you drinking alone - this job is too hard for one - I´ll help you - for Tony only !
Cheers

Hello Eri !

I am looking forward to your review/critic of "Thirst"

Greetings
Helga
Yuka

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject:

Hi Helga ,
Please join me!!!! Very Happy Drunken Very Happy Drunken Very Happy Drunken

Yuka cheers
sparkles_n15

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject:

Sorry for taking so long to update, but I am back home in Toronto now. I had an amazing time in Japan and HK! Thanks for being so accomodating. I enjoyed meeting everyone. Smile

I had an insane amount of work and exams to get though this week, but I hope I can start posting some photos on the weekend. I took over 1,000 photos this time! I'm only halfway through sorting them. I realize I can't actually remember the names of the places we went to in Kamakura. scratch Yuka, help? LOL!

Sorry I can't join in this movie discussion. I only managed to see The Cove and Ashes of Time Redux on the flight to Tokyo. However, Red Cliff opened in Canada today, so maybe I'll have some comments in the next little while. Smile
Yuka

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject:

Welcome back, Jenny !! Very Happy

Relieved to hear you’re surviving through enormous amount of work.
Sorry for dragging you around. I was afraid you might be very tired when you got home.
Even I don’t remember all the names…ha-ha, but I’ll try.
And if you need any help for your future plan, I’m ready to help you. Wink

Yuka
Safran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:15 am    Post subject:

Dear sparkles_n15

Remembering my own "Family-Sakura"in March/April - I only can confirm and underline: Hospitality of Japanese fellow fans is great !

Keep your memories like a treasure - Best wishes for your further studies in Toronto!
Helga
mary

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject:

Hi Yuka, Jenny and Junko

Glad to hear you all enjoyed your time together in Japan, it must have been amazing. Hopefully some time in the future you can repeat the experience.

I enjoyed reading everyones reviews on Thirst. I saw the film at the beginning of November it had been on during the Halloween holidays. Not on national release, the theatre were I go to see some of Tonys films was showing it. As I've explained before this theatre although small supports world cinema.

Thank you Eri and Yuka for giving backgound info on the director what you both said was really interesting. I enjoyed this movie, maybe not as deep as his other movies but still interesting. I could see the conflict in the priest fighting to remain true to his values. Religion seemed to have a big impact on the people in the movie it must be very important in real Korean lives (obviously maybe not for everyone). Me and the rest of the Irish audience enjoyed the black humour and some of the special effects were well done. Definately a different type of movie from the director, well worth watching. He's still not afraid to tackle taboo subjects even if vampires are a bit far fetched. I thought the actor who played the priest was very good, he did well in the role.

PS...Seeing as Tony doesn't drink while working I too will indulge in an alcoholic beveridge on his behalf over the holidays. We should all raise a glass in his honour....best wishes...mary.
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Get to know each other All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: