TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

MoMo´s VIENNALE Diary
Goto page Previous  1, 2

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Random Thoughts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Safran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject:

Dear friends

I fear I am changing from Vampire to Zombie - lost the feeling for date and time already and hurry from cinema to cinema (4 different cinemas and DVD in the "Viennale-press-center" in Hilton Hotel) like hypnotized !
And though I enjoy and still can´t get enough from this phantastic "Movie-Universe" - What will I do - back home in my "Village" again ?

Have a nice weekend guys !
Your red-eyed and tired - but satisfied
MoMo
Eri

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject:

Dear Helga,

It must be very hard to watch movies continuously without losing concentration. You are really great to do your best at hard condition. Very Happy

I am sure you have a responsibility but also pleasure of expressing your opinions and ideas to others.

Let us know more when you go back to your familiar environment. Wink
Safran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:53 am    Post subject:

Hello dear friends and fellow fans !

It was a very hard majority-decision who will become the winner of our Jury and who will get a special praising (?mentioning)

- I only say : the winner was not one of my hotest favourits- not really my prefered kind of film and did not touch me like others. Nevertheless it is - no doubt - a very well done movie - so I can live with this decision! - It is really a pity that you have to "eliminate" wonderful films who deserve a chance of getting the honour and financial help for findig a "Verleih"(do not know the word in engl.) !
I am not allowed to tell you already,sorry. but the winner is "top secret" till tomorrow evening ! We are 3 different Jurys (A prominent Artists Jury for Austrian Movies - The Experts Jury and our "The Standard-Readers-Jury" as audience Jury)

I am watching now for the last days my "privat" interest-movies and get tickets for free - for every movie I want to watch. At home again, I will never get such an opportunity and my movie-heart will suffer again.
Nevertheless I have to reduce my daily rate now - not to become a movie addict or Junkie ! hahaha (only 2-3 movies - most Asian ones)

First snow-rain in Vienna - very cold and uncomfortable outside, but no problem cause I am still most time in cinemas - and I still enjoy !!

"Servus" liebe Freunde -

See you soon
Helga
Safran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject:

Dear friends

It´s 03 00 h in the morning and I just came back from the last VIENNALE Party. (Winners and photos see on Viennale hp)
The winners, the 3 Juries and about 700 people were celebrating in "Volksgarten"- I am drunk a bit and sad - could have last much longer ! Everybody was so nice and I felt like in a movie - in a dream - the second unbelievable dream this year - in my life - after Sakura in Japan.
Good night my friends
>MoMo - now "only"Helga again
mary

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:17 am    Post subject:

Hi Helga

The adventure is now over, but good memories remain to muse over at anytime. It's inevitable you will feel a little sad but all good things (like bad) come to an end. And as for MoMo part of her will always remain, her spirit lives on.

Hope no hangover this morning and you've caught up on some sleep.
Glad you had a great time, through your posts we were all there with you.

To you Helga and MoMo....best wishes...mary.
Safran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Dear friends
Thank you Mary !

Back home again - well and full of beautiful pictures in my head - but very tired too. (the nights were too short !)
The winners of the three Prizes, you can see on Viennale site -

Greetings
Helga
Eri

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject:

Dear Helga,

You might be still busy at home with all your house work etc ?
I hope you can have some relaxed days after sleepless nights in Vienna.

Safran wrote:

- I only say : the winner was not one of my hotest favourits- not really my prefered kind of film and did not touch me like others. Nevertheless it is - no doubt - a very well done movie - so I can live with this decision! - It is really a pity that you have to "eliminate" wonderful films who deserve a chance of getting the honour and financial help for findig a "Verleih"(do not know the word in engl.) !

When you have some free time, could you let us know which one was your favorite ? I am just interested in your choice. Wink
Safran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:37 am    Post subject:

Dear Eri, dear interested friends !

I have still some problems with reality now, in my little, provincal county-town after this very intensive, eventful time in Vienna, meeting real nice and interesting people.

Our Jury- decision was very hard, because there were a number of very good movies and documentaries among our 22 "candidates" ( films without austrian Distributors - winner to get one !) -
After all, I had to accept the jury-majority for "Darbareye Elly" (About Elly) from Iran, D:Asghar Farhadi.
It was not one of my favorits first, but later became one of them.
I probably would have prefered the excellent and exiting Docu "Prodigal Sons" (USA)D:Kimberly Reed, or the movie "Fish Tank" from GB, D:Andrea Arnold - too.
A kind of "new", interesting "young" movies were: "Castro" from Argentine, D: Alejo Moguillansky and "Beeswax" USA , D: Andrew Bujalsky.
I liked the exciting, Southkorean "Ddongpari"(Breathless) D:Yang Ik-june very much, or the fine humor of "Politist, Adjectiv"(Police, Adjective) from Romania , D:Corneliu Porumboiu too.
Disappointing: "White Material" France, by Claire Denis - with Isabelle Huppert. One of our favourits, "Un Prophete" has already got a Distributor, so we had to cancel.
The supervision and careing of our "VIENNALE" and "Der Standard" staff and coaches.......were always very kind and helpful -though the stress they had. They looked after us and treated us like important people - we felt honoured .
I watched 20 more "privat" movies and dokus too - and liked some very much- like: "Visitors Jeonju Digital Project 2009" (A Trilogy of Shortfilms) from ROK, Japan and the Philipines about emigration-return- and estrangement , or the criticak/political Doku. from USA/Israel "City of Borders" or the very familiar ROK Docu: "Wyo-nang so-ri"(Old Partner)about an very old couple of poor rice-farmers and the relationship to their working-Ox - till its death.
I especially enjoyed 5 pretty damaged but though wonderful old movies (70ies) of " A Tribute to Lino Brocka" Series - His B-movies and his very good social-critic-political ones.

The winner of the "International film-critics Jury" became the Docu: "Xiao Li Zi" (Survival Song) VRC, D: Yu Guangyi - about he hard life of some "independent"( forbitten) hunters and farmers people in the north-west of China - the director, who told us of his strong relationship and friendship to this "outlaws"(temporary lived with them) was present - He was very surprised and happy and celebrated it on the big Viennale-Final-Party............which did last very long - for me too!

One favourite of my privat watched movies was "Zha Lai Nuo Er"(Jalainur) VRC by Zhao Ye - with very strong, impressive pictures of a friendship between a young and an old pitman in a coal-mine - and -
"She, a Chinese" by Guo Xiaolu ("Special Program" of this 1973 in a litttle fishervillage in South-China born and now in London living, very gifted young woman - she is a writer too!)
The last movie - out of competition - was "A Serious Man" by the american "bad boys" the Coen-Bros. - A very funny and "black-humored" film again - (on borders of good taste and respect ) very impodent, bold!

BTW:
In a former letter I told you wrong dates/numbers and have to corrigate: There were 336 projections of about 200 different movies in 5 cinemas , on Viennle (I watched totally 40 films - 22 as Jury- Member - the rest "privat"-for free) - As you may believe, many scenes and pictures are still in my head - no wonder! haha) There will never be such an opportunity again - so I had to lay in a stock !

Something strange:
I watched "Okuribito" for the second time, because I loved it in Udine. This time with german subtitles. In Udine I watched "Departures" with engl.subt.
Now, the german title : "Nokan- Die Kunst des Ausklangs" which means "Nokan - the Art of Finale" (of a music piece-?????) The travel-agency joke ( ambiguity / equivokality ) has got lost totally !!! AND - I could not believe first - but the very nice scenes of "preparing" and covering the transsexual boy - and the discussions in the family - is cutted away !
There is only the make-up scene (son as a girl)....and then the thanks of the former-boy´s father, who was content at the end ! I cannot describe better, but the funny situation is not funny any more - the surprise and joke has got lost - unbelievable !

Nevertheless I enjoyed this film again - and the audience in the full cinema was laughing and crying though - like me.

Enough information I hope - Household is a mess and I am still on many different movie-planets - but fortunately my husband and mother are understanding !

Please tell me something about TIFF and RIFF !

Friendly Greetings to all of you !
Safran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:35 am    Post subject:

I forgot:

- The End -
Yuka

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:06 am    Post subject:

Hi Helga,

Glad to hear you enjoyed the festival.
I hope you can join as a jury again next year !!! Very Happy

At TIFF , new prime minister showed up once again at the green carpet .
I guess they'll do it every year. (ha-ha )
Grand Prix went to Bulgarian movie, "Eastern Plays" by Director Kamen Kalev.
I'd like to watch it when it's released in Japan ( and the movies you mentioned , too ) Wink

Yuka
Safran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject:

Dear Yuka

Hello and Thanks for your information of Tiff-winner.
Seem in Europe the Asian movies freshen up the "usual" festival circus and in Asia the "new" east-Europeans are interesting at the moment .

No, this sounds tooo arrogant and easy! A good movie is a good movie wherever it comes from !

At the moment I am in movie-withdrawal treatment !
Unfortunately the "Standard" chooses a new "Readers-Jury" every year - so I will not have a chance any more - snüff snüff - though I had the impression, they liked us 5 pretty much! I am simply very glad about this experience ! (BTW: on Viennale Opening and Finale there was only one Minister (culture) present - no chance for politicians ! - hahaha)

Hope you are fine and week begins as pleasant as possible.

Your movie-addict friend
Helga
sparkles_n15

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject:

Hi Helga,

I'm glad you had such a great time! Thank you for your recommendations and the detailed accounts of your experience. Hope you have some well deserved rest now. Very Happy

Jenny
Safran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject:

Thank you Jenny !

"Well deserved rest" ? - I am already missing this intensive, exciting "movie-world"!!!! - haha

Greetings

Helga
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Random Thoughts All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: