TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

Film-Festival-Calender - to add
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Random Thoughts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sparkles_n15

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject:

Dear Kat,
Don't despair! I think you're doing a marvellous job with your busy schedule and taking care of your family. Plus you're usually our breath of fresh air here! sunny

Hi Helga,
I've been incredibly sleep-deprived all week, but it was well worth it. Can't wait for November! I will enjoy Tokyo even if Tony isn't there. Wink

Eri,
I guess I got lucky this time. Usually I'm the one waiting for movies to come out in North America! Smile
I think some of the lines in the movie were so blatantly obvious that it would have been rude not to laugh. I will chat with you more when you see it.

Yuka,
It was just a fluke that I watched those two Japanese films. Hehe, so I'm definitely no expert! I haven't heard of Norwegian Wood. Kenichi Matsuyama usually takes on a lot of unconventional roles. However, I liked him a lot in Kamui. It also helps that he's cute and the same age as me. Smile
Safran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:05 am    Post subject:

Hello fellows

My husband found "by chance" a new international Asia-Film Festival in Graz/Austria ( 2nd time after 2007 - I did not know !)!
Seem not so professional as Udine FAFF but also only 2 hours away - program sounds quite interesting - and a beginning for Austria ! - I will try to go there !

http://www.filmasia.at/en/index.htm

Happy Greetings
Safran
Yuka

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:58 am    Post subject:

Hello Helga,

Happy to know that you’ll have chance to watch Asian movies with subtitles. Very Happy
I saw some of the movies mentioned in the line-up including” Shinjuku Incident.”
“Thirst” will be also shown in the movie festival in Tokyo called Tokyo Filmex which
will be held in November. Tokyo Filmex is not commercial-oriented than
Tokyo International Film Festival and their selections are more moviegoer –oriented.
I hope you’ll have time to attend the festival. Please enjoy Wink

Have a nice weekend !
Yuka
mary

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:07 am    Post subject: Hi Safran, sparkles_n15 and Yuka

Hi Safran, sparkles_n15 and Yuka

Thanks for all your posts on the different film festivals all over the world even if some of us can't be there in person thanks to all your info we are there in spirit.

Jenny
you've seen alot of movies what a busy schedule. In my country we also have the saying 'in the same boat'.

Helga
Hope you get to the festival, enjoy some of those great movies. When you get the chance post your reviews.

Yuka
Like Helga and Jenny you are a mindful of information on all movie types even ones I wouldn't have thought you've seen.

Thirst comes to a cinema near me October 31st, I'm really looking forward to seeing it. No sign of I Come With The Rain...maybe someday.

Best wishes...to all movie fans...mary.
Yuka

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:33 am    Post subject:

Hello everyone,
I went to see Air Doll by Koreeda Hirokazu (Korean actress Bae Doona is very good in this role.)
and found out director of photography is Lee Pin Bing.
His works include; In the Mood for Love(WKW) ,A la Vertical de L'ete (Anh Hung Tran) Flowers of Shanghai,
The Puppetmaster( Hou Hsiao Hsien) etc.

Lee Pin Bing will be also working with Director Tran again in ” Norwegian Wood.”
I saw some of the scenes of Norwegian Wood In the movie magazine and visuals are very beautiful.
According to main cast’s interview, shooting is already finished and just waiting for post-recording.
For those interested (i.e.in Japan) please check CUT, the latest edition.

Hello Mary,
I heard Thirst is controversial film,but I like Park chan Wook works so far.
I know it’s going to be difficult to get a ticket but I’ll try.
I Come with the Rain will be in Pusan IFF. I hope it will get more wider distribution.
Air Doll, which I mentioned above(R15 in Japan), will be distributed to 15 countries.
It’s a mixture of reality and allegory, beautifully written and touching ( at least to me).
Hope you’ll get to see this film in your theater, too. Very Happy
Safran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject:

Dear Yuka and Mary

I was absent for some days and without possibility to answer your kind
greetings and wishes - I thank you heartly now !

Believe it or not: I DID IT !
My family is confused, but I already have booked a single room in a central cheap hotel in Graz from 8 th to 13 th of October and I have the chance to get the ticket for the Premier Gala too ! Wish someone of you could follow and join me, but I have no problem too, to be all for myself - solo ! The kind Organisator told me on phone his program is not complete yet, but perhaps he can get "Red Cliff" 1 and 2 too !!!
I will tell you when I know more -

Yuka I bewonder your movie-wisdom - you are always up to date and well
informed. I am curious about "Air Doll"

My last movies in theatre:
"The Drummer" Jackie Chans son (you really can see )- has still to learn and mature to become "an actor", but the Hongkong scenes (more 1st part) I did like - second part - in the zen drummers camp... - became a bit too pathetic - I think it is an unbalanced mixture of action and (miracle- fast) spiritual enlightment... very moralizing.... but quite nice to watch because: good photographed and a good "bad guy" performing Leung Kar-Fai !
Second movie was an Austrian production " Universalove" differend kinds of love on different places on earth - in episodes (with music from a band of my hometown called " Naked Lunch" ) - Irrelevant for international moviescene - in my eyes - still - but it is a beginning and who knows.....?

Next movie: Cannes winning "White Ribbon" from Michael Haneke - a wellknown Austrian director (most working in France) he is a studied Psychologist and very analysing......I did not like his former, exaggerating, strange german dubbed (!), depressing and undercooled movies, but I am curious about this new "dark" one in black and white and in german languagge -
He wants to show us (on the historical and "extreme realistic" example of the northern Germany´s strict protestantic society rules in the beginning of the last century) - how a violent system, too strict education, authority and fundamental religion (which ever) build the basis for (World War 2) ....and terrorism and violence principally ........ I will tell you more after I have watched !
Friendly greetings to all of you !
Yuka

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject:

Hello Helga,

Not international version(edited version) but Red Cliff Part 1 and 2 ?
I really hope they are included in the program !!!!!!! Very Happy
I like Michael Haneke's The Pianist (same title but not Roman Polanski’s)
I thought Isabelle Huppert was very good.
Please enjoy the festival Very Happy
Safran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject:

Hi Yuka

Yes, "RC" both parts (they told me) - Still seem a bit late and chaotic the organization and internet site........no fixed schedule yet !!!! Which film on which day or the kind of ticket-sale..........uuuups- let´s hope !

I have not seen Haneke´s "Pianist" yet - neither did read this novel from Elfriede Jelinek ( Nobelpreis for Literature 2004)- on which this movie is basing. I did read much round-about.
Elfriede Jelinek is hard (bulky and rough) to read and I cannot imagine the translations ?!? (I am sure Isabelle Hubbert is the perfect protagonist for the leading role too !)

Ms Jelinek is very famous for her stage plays too - she polarizes : beloved and/or behatred - a shy, intelligent woman with strong personality !
She most describes very strange characters and in her stage plays she criticizes very aktual society problems and political scandals - often very merciless. <Always good for a "Theatre Scandal in Vienna" !

If someone is predestined to make a movie - basing on her novels - so Mr. Haneke might be one of the best - probably (in my personal opinion).

Dear Greetings
Helga
Safran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:14 am    Post subject:

Hello Yuka and all movie-maniacs

If you are interested: the programm of 2nd."filmASIA" in Graz is almost complete now.
See Homepage above >programme>Screening guide>films alphabetically or schedule
Bad news: No "Red Cliff" or "Ashes of Time Redux" or "Come with the Rain"....
Some movies are presented parallel in 3-4 different theatres in different districts - so I have to choose - gggrrrrr !

My Musts: "Thirst", "Sparrow", "Open City", "Ichi the blind Swordwoman", "Dream", "The Chaser" " CJ7 (?)and some of Miike´s I do not know already.
If you have some "hot" tips and "musts" for me - please tell me !

Good News: I have already got a reserved ticket for the Premiere with "Shinjuku Incident" (jipiiiii) - try to get one for the Final with Award and presentation of the winner-movie too .

This will be some exciting days - I am very curious !
Cineastic Greetings
Helga
mary

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject:

Hi Helga

Sounds fantastic, looks as though you'll be real busy.
A great schedule for a true movie fan.
Enjoy and then enjoy some more.
Look forward to seeing your reviews.

Best wishes...mary.
Safran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject:

Thank you Mary -
I hope to manage well ! (As far as I know, there are cheap flights between Dublin (or London) and Graz ! - and still time to think over - the hotel is pretty cheap too !)

Greetings
Helga
Yuka

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:15 am    Post subject:

Hello Helga,

Tooooooo many Takeshi Miike’s movies … Surprised
Many of his old movies are action-violence or gangstars movie.
Now he’s starting to film more commercial movies with young movie stars ….
I’m not a great fan of his movie but may be you’ll like it .
I’ve watched only 2-3 of his works.

From the line-ups , I’ve watched; The Chaser, Dream, The Good the Bad and the Weird,
Genius Party, Die Kunst der Erpressung ,Sakuran, Shinjuku Incident and Warlords.
Among the mentioned above, I thought worth watching were
"The Chaser" ( Can’t believe this is director’s 1st debut film. Bloody and violent but 2 actors are great)
and " The Good, the Bad and the Weird" (a good entertainment movie )

Sorry to know RC1&2 are not included in the program !!! Crying or Very sad
But I’m looking forward to hear your reviews, too.
You don’t have to feel obliged to watch the movies that I mentioned.
I know the time is limited, and I hope you’ll discover some interesting movies!!!

Have a nice weekend ! Very Happy
katwoman64

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject:

Hi Helga,
I wish you a very nice trip!

Go figure that my daughter is becoming great friend with a Canadian Born Chinese that studies law in Bristol. And she sends me advices about films!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The last she adviced was "Yip Mun", I asked if it perhaps was "Yip Man" but she insisted on "Mun" and stressed that it's a very very beautiful film. Anybody can enlighten me please?

Thanks
Mimma

Sadako Sasaki
Safran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject:

Hello Yuka and Kat and interested fellow fans

Dear Yuka:
I forgot to mention "Warlords" and "Ip Man" as some of my personal "musts" - next week in Graz.
Thank you for telling me your personal opinion and your tips !
Have you already read the bio of the Jury-members ? - much connection to Japan !

Takashi Miike´s "Blues Harp" and "Audition" I know already and did like both. "Gozu" I have recorded on VHS - but not watched yet (so I need not watch on festival) - I think for japanese fans the selection is probably not very interesting - but we have so few opportunities to watch asian films and especially japanese ones ! (Bollywood movies are not my favourits - same with Anime - although there might exist very good ones too )

The old bloody,violent and strange Miike´s I do not know already - only have read and heard from.
From focal point "Women´s Lib" - I only know "Abe Sada" - will see what I can manage. For me, the role/characters of women in Japanese movies are often harder to understand than that of men´s !

Dear Kat
I guess your CBC friend meant "Ip Man" - sometimes the pronunciation or spelling differs. I want to watch "Ip Man" to see the different kind of work and point of view .... in comparison with WKW´s and Tony´s version - I am curious about !

Have a nice weekend dear friends !
Helga
katwoman64

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject:

Hi!
Yesterday started the trailers of Red Cliff on italian television, all the channels! It's great publicity.
I think it will be a real hit here, because it's action & historical, it would be appreciated by a very large audience.
It will be released first time on the last day of the Rome Film Festival.
Have to say, I'm so excited!!!

Can't wait to see it!

And I waited for so long!

Bye
Be Happy
Mimma
P.S.: AAYEAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sadako Sasaki
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Random Thoughts All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: