TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

Ashes of Time Redux - no review

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Movie Reviews by the fans / fanfics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Safran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:23 am    Post subject: Ashes of Time Redux - no review

Dear fellow fans
Last week I was on Vienna Filmfestival "Viennale 2008" to see Ashes of Time Redux .
Some competent young filmstudents and WKW fans found the new version
as bit overloaded and bombastic (music, colour) and prefer the "original".
I liked it although - but maybe I am not objective because WKW movies
flow direct into my heart (my head follows much later) and Tony is Tony is Tony...is great and unique as- almost- ever!
I try to get a DVD with an original version to compare once more.
As most WKW movies you will have to watch this movie more than two times to discover the development, to disentangle the narration. (Asian filmfans are more familiar with his sight, the symbols and the old legends...)

Send you some adresses - hope they are helpful - bye:

http://www.brns.com/pages/wkwai3.html
http://www.sonyclassics.com/ashesoftimeredux/
Http://www.lovehkfilm.com/
Zeefje

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject:

I just stumbled upon Safran's commend on Ashes of time Redux in the archives. As all Tony's films were new to me (except 2046) only two months ago, I have to catch up and learn........in the meanwhile i share the experience that a WKW film has to be seen several times to fully understand how the stories and feelings of characters are interwoven. Last week I saw Ashes for the first time....I was absolutely stunned by the beauty of nature and all the personages passing or visiting the inn close to the desert seemed to be connected in there lives stories. The innkeeper, there to help solving their problems, gradually becomes aware of his own...no happy endings for WKW films, or almost none. But I start to get the feeling how to savour his work. Feel with your eyes, then let it flow straight into your heart. Try to avoid the left brain hemisphere to reason for you...forget cultural differences (if there are any and preferably don't think at all) or you will be lost and have to watch the film all over again. ITMFL, 2046 and Ashes will be very difficult for me to watch again on short term because I still can feel the characters' agony, restraint etc. etc. right now, just by recalling....

I guess that's why the actors don't get any lines or to study before acting.....

Bye for now,

Zeefje
redfox

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject:

Dear Zeefje, I love your thoughts about WKW films.
WKW films always bring unique experience to me. Every time after watching a masterpiece of him, I fall into strange state of mood. I like to call it "In the mood for WKW" Very Happy. His films just touch the deepest part of my heart.
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Movie Reviews by the fans / fanfics All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: