TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

Clark Gable Comparisons
Goto page 1, 2  Next

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Miscellaneous
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony Obsessed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:36 am    Post subject: Clark Gable Comparisons

From Tony's IMDB Biography Page - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0504897/bio

Quote:
Has been called the Asian Clark Gable.

I've often heard Tony referred to as "The Chinese Clark Gable" and wanted to see what some of the fans think about this. Why do people make this comparision? Is it just because of the suave demeanour, slicked back hair and moustache? (In 2046). I would like your views on whether you think this comparison is a valid observation or a ridiculous one. Tony, if you're reading this what do make of it? Are you flattered or unhappy about being likened to an American actor? I personally think this comparision is strange, because I feel that Tony is far more talented and better looking than Gable ever was!

Last edited by Tony Obsessed on Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:31 pm; edited 3 times in total
Pungyo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject:

I'm rather confused by this comparison as well... I think Chow Yun Fat is more the Clark Gable type... Tony reminds me more of Tyrone Power... he was a real heart throb in his day, very suave, great actor! My mother had a crush on him when she was a teen. Cool

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000061/

-K

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject:

I think your Tyrone Power comparison is more fitting for Tony, but he's not entirely similar. BTW, my Mum used to fancy him as well, when she was a kid!

Last edited by Tony Obsessed on Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
D-love

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject:

Tony like Clark Gable? No way! Macho was Mr. Gables first, middle, and lat name. He had a persana that radiated on and off the set. Just like John Wayne. He would perform his own stunts and would only work with certain directors who would promote the image of a tough talking, hard loving, can handle his drink man. Look at "Gone With The Wind" and "The Misfits", these two movies show the man he wanted to play. Now let's look at Tony, He has played everything from comedy to suspence. To keep things interesting he reaches for roles that are emotionaly challenging. And not the leading guy all the time or the savior. Sometimes he dies, he gets dumped, he's cruel, funny, cries. And that's what sets Tony apart from many actors even today, he takes risks. I respect Tony's desicion to stay in Asia doing the films he loves to do, and not get type cast. I bet Mr. Gable would have loved to play some of the roles Tony has done, but because of the studio's control of it's actors back then and to protect his image, He probably was'nt even given the chance.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:22 am    Post subject:

Thank you for your brilliant response, D-love. I agree wholeheartedly with every word you say! Very Happy
Paul

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject:

I think this is because of Tony's look in 2046, his gelled back hair and mustache were reminiscent of Clark Gable. However as an actor I find the two to be completely different. I don't think I could compare him to any actor because he stands alone so brilliantly as himself and has defined himself as Tony Leung.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject:

Paul wrote:
I don't think I could compare him to any actor because he stands alone so brilliantly as himself and has defined himself as Tony Leung.

Applause *Applauds Paul* I couldn't have put it better myself!
Tony Obsessed

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:54 am    Post subject:

I read on this forum yesterday that Robert De Niro (an admirer of Tony's work according to Wikipedia) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Leung_Chiu_Wai was quoted as making the Clark Gable comparison. Is that where everyone else got that from and started making the same analogy?
katwoman64

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject:

If you want to find an analogy to Tony in the past, you have to find someone with a deep sense of irony, very smooth, with a great sensitivity to the character he is playing at the moment, with a wonderful acting rithm. And also human, realistic, the devil may care, metaphisic, subtle, surreal. Say you who. Not Gable, that's for sure, nor Power, who was handsome, but as an actor.............., well, light as the air, so so, nothing special. That sums the actor...
Find a name who fits the bill...
K
Tony Obsessed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:09 am    Post subject:

I really can't find anyone else who you could liken to Tony, katwoman64. The way I see it, he's completely in a class of his own and you can't compare any other actor to him.
katwoman64

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject:

Well,
the truth is that it was not me who suggested Gable and Power.
I thought more to Marcello Mastroianni or Gary Cooper. They are both dead now, so I don't know if you are familiar with them, but maybe you've seen "La dolce vita" of Fellini or the history of Lou Gehrig (The pride of Yankees) or "For Whom The Bell Tolls". These are all dramas, but they where as good as comedic actors (see "Pret 'a Porter" of Altman ). They where "non stars" as Tony. What I don't find in other actors nowadays is Tony's smoothness and irony. The inner rithm. There are many Al Pacino's fans here, but I remember the incredible actor from whom Pacino took the role for "Scent of a Woman" (the original version), Vittorio Gassman. He did such remarkable performances too, he was very very "macho", but I've seen him in comedies and also dressed as a woman (he was 1,80 m. tall), with a little black dress and pearls arond his throat and he was absolutely feminine (he too worked with Altman in "The Wedding"). So, these are the actors, all top-notches, to whom I compare Tony.
What do you think?
K
Oh my gosh, I was forgetting: do you know if Tony will come in Rome for the next "Festa of Cinema" opening the twentysecond of October? If so, the airplane ticket from London costs about 30 euros...
Info

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject:

I don't think Tony has any plan to come to Rome this month. He will go to Tokyo to attend Tokyo International Film Festival later this month.
katwoman64

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:08 am    Post subject:

Thanks, Info for your ready reply.
Tony too answered me. Thank Tony for me, would you? I hoped so because last year Ang Lee was honour guest at the Festa to promote his "Lust, Caution". Afterwards the Palazzo delle Esposizioni (Exhibitions Building) of Rome showed the biggest collection ever of the independent chinese films, and the project had great success. So it is a fair bet that, if Tony would come, he would meet an epic welcome. Epic? Well, being in Rome and in the wake of Red Cliff... I strongly suspect that there are a lot of Tony Obsessed fans in Europe, so you can well imagine...
And now I have the chance to express my appreciation for the perfect management of this forum. You are always unobtrusive, but ready to support us fans with fresh news.
Thanks,
Kat
Info

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject:

Dear Kat,

Thanks for your kind words.

As you may know, Tony was in Venice last Sept and in Cannes this May. It's a pity that you didn't have the chance to meet him then. But I am sure Tony will visit Europe again in the not long future.

Take care,

Info
Tony Obsessed

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject:

To liken another actor to Gable, does anyone else think that Chang Chen's new hairdo and moustache make him look similar?
This is a recent picture from the Red Cliff 2 promotional event in Guangzhou, posted on the schedule section of the board.
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Miscellaneous All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: