TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

AN EDUCATION
Goto page Previous  1, 2

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Get to know each other
View previous topic :: View next topic  
katwoman64

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject:

Dear Paul...

MACARONI WITH SEA-SCALLOPS, PISTACHIO AND SUN-MAID NATURAL RAISINS Ingredients:
1 onion finely chopped
1 zucchini finely chopped
35 g sun-maid natural raisins
50 g pistachio
1/2 glass Grand Marnier
500 g fresh sea-scallops
1 clove garlic
salt and pepper to taste
parsley
orange rind (1/2 orange)
extravirgin olive oil
Heat the extravirgin olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic, zucchini and onion and saute until golden. Add fresh sea-scallops and saute until tender. Pour in the Grand Marnier and stir. When evaporated add the sun-maid natural raisins, pistachio, salt and pepper. Stir once, reduce heat to low and complete with parsley and grated orange rind. Serve immediately
...Enjoy!
Mimma

Sadako Sasaki
katwoman64

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject:

Dear Paul...

ROAST BEEF IN A SALT CRUST WITH MUSHROOMS SAUCE
Ingredients:
900 g roast beef
fresh thyme
fresh rosemary
extravirgin olive oil
1 k salt
6 fresh Porcini mushrooms
butter
2 clove garlic pressed
1/2 c Brandy
1 cup of vegetable broth
fresh ground pepper to taste
We really like to roast meat encased in a salt crust. The salt protects the meat from the harsh heat of the oven so it retains most of its moisture.
Put a layer of coarse salt into a large pirex bowl. Lay your roast beef and place fresh thyme and rosemary on the surface of the meat. Add a little bit of extravirgin olive oil and cover completely with salt. Place the roast in the microwave oven. Cook for 20 minutes at full power. If 1 kg is too much for your micro, no problem, about 700 gr cook in about 15 minutes ...

Let cool and slice thin.
The inside remains pink.

or ... at 170 C in a traditional oven and cook for about 40 minutes. Let meat rest in the crust for 30 minutes, then crack the crust and discard it. Cut the roast beef into slices.
And now we prepare the mushrooms sauce.
Heat extravirgin olive oil in skillet, add rosemary, garlic and Porcini mushrooms and saute until golden brown. Add Brandy and increase heat, stir until reduced to half. Complete with fresh ground pepper and add a cup of vegetable broth. Cook for a few minutes, then add 1 tbs butter and stir quickly into mixture.
Add the roast beef slices, cooking until sauce is thickened. Serve hot

CHUNKS OF POTATOES COOKED IN THE MICROWAVE PERFUMED WITH ROSEMARY. They are ideal as an accompaniment to a second dish (the first being usually pasta) of roast or baked meat.
Categories Contours
Time
Preparation: 5 Min
Cooking: 16 Min
Ready In: 21 min
Difficulty: Easy
Dose: 4 people
Potatoes, 800g
Olive oil, 50g
Salt
Pepper
Rosemary, 1 sprig
1. Peel the potatoes, wash and dry with paper towels and let them in pieces.
2. Heat the oil in a pan to oven for one minute at full power.
3. And add the potatoes, flavored with rosemary, cook for 15 minutes at grill+medium power. Half cooked potatoes turned upside down with a wooden spoon or spatula so that become golden evenly.
4. When cooked, season them with salt and pepper and leave to rest for a few minutes.

Enjoy!
Mimma

Sadako Sasaki
katwoman64

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject:

Hi Paul,
all these recipes are tried and tested.
The pancakes are a great way to free yourself from leftover. You just have to do the patterns between a vegetable and a cheese or meat or salame/ham.

I added a lasagna, a simple pasta to do on the burner and a roestbeef with potatoes, in case you are a "steak and potatoes" kind of guy.

1- Mind you, all the recipes have to be tried on your own equipment (pots, pans, oven, mixer and so on), but the ingredients are quite basic.

2 - My advice is, do as my sisters do: on sunday they prepare things (they have more time) in double portions, one for the oven and another for the freezer (this food can stay there safely for three months). This way they always have a ready dinner for the hardest evenings, when they come home from work truly tired. I usually have very late dinners, so I prepare during the morning and heat at the last moment. I too prepare more and freeze a part for the difficult evenings or for impromptu guests.

3 - The lasagna can be cut in four: three smaller containers in the freezer and one to try at once.

4 - The same can be said for sauces, prepare more and save a part of it in the fridge or freezer.

5 - Cooking needs our precious time, save a bit working this way. Next time, few cakes recipe.

Kiss
Mimma

Sadako Sasaki
katwoman64

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:26 am    Post subject:

Dear Paul,

Yesterday I prepared dinner in 30 min. Lets see if you can do the same:
I had Spaghetti aglio olio e peperoncino (garlic and chili pepper) for first. While I waited that the water for the pasta reached boiling point (10 min) I prepared the fish, put in the oven, and seasoned the salad. While the pasta was cooking (10 min) put the tablecloth cutlery and crockety on the table. The remaining ten minutes went for the last touches.
While the spaghetti were ending their cooking time, in a pan I poured few spoonful of extravergine olive oil, let it heat, then added one peeled and crushed garlic clove and a couple of chilli peppers roughly chopped. The clove, mind you, has to become pale golden, don’t you ever burn it, because it stinks and would make your pasta stink too. I drained the pasta and poured it into the pan, sautéed few seconds, added a bit of pasta water to the lot (to make it slippery), then into the dishes, decorating the top with few parsley leaves.

Then followed

Gilthead Sea Bream or SeaBass in Sea Salt Crust Recipe
Total time: 30 to 40 minutes
Preparation time: less than 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes in traditional oven or 12 min in Microwave
Difficulty: Easy
This cooking method not only offers a visual spectacle but also unrivalled cooking quality: these are the benefits of cooking à l'étouffée (the same principle as cooking en papillote, or in a parchment or foil package) but in a natural material, in this case coarse sea salt which is rich in trace elements. The salt crust seals and protects the foods like a shell, concentrating the flavors and cooking them in their own steam.
Ingredients
- 1 sea bream or sea bass (about 500 gr)
- 1 kg (2 1/4 lb.) coarse sea salt
- thyme
- parsley
- 1 lemon
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- black pepper
- extravergine olive oil
Method
Gut but do not scale the fish.
1. Mix the salt with thyme. Spread an even layer of coarse salt in a baking dish,
2. place one peeled and crushed clove of garlic, a sprig of parsley, a pinch of pepper and two thin slices of lemon into the (washed and dried ) fish tummy, then put the fish on top of the salt, pour a spoonful of oil on top of it and then cover with an equal thickness of coarse sea salt+thyme. Sprinkle with a bit of water
3. Place in a 200° C (400° F) oven and cook for about 30 minutes or in Microwave, max power, for 12 minutes+ let it stay for three additional minutes when the oven is off.
4. Meanwhile, for the sauce, in a cup pour oil, the juice of half lemon, one clove of garlic finely chopped, a pinch of salt, one of black pepper and few leaves of parsley. Mix it all.
5. To serve, break the salt crust, take off the skin and remove the fillets of fish, then remove the backbone and remove the second set of fillets. Put in the dishes and spoon the sauce over the fish fillets. In alternative, simple olive oil and lemon can do.

I sided it with a salad with salt, oil and lemon seasoning. A nice dry chilled white wine would be appropriate.

Enjoy!
Mimma

Sadako Sasaki
katwoman64

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject:

Dear Paul,
as promised, here's a cake's recipe, and a classic british one. Hope you'll like it:

Donut of carrots in the microwave

Preparation time: 32 minutes

INGREDIENTS
20 minutes preparation + 12 cooking

Ingredients: 150g of flour - 100 g cornflour (cornstarch) - 185 gr sugar - 3 eggs - 1 small vial of scent - 1 bag of chopped almonds - 1 pot of yogurt (white) - 150 g butter, room temperature - 1 packet of yeast for microwave - 250 grams of carrots.

PREPARATION
Work the butter with the sugar, add flour, cornstarch, flavor, almonds, yogurt, and then one egg at a time.
At the end add the sachet of yeast and lastly the finely grated carrots.
Put in the microwave for 12 minutes at 650 kW with microwave + grill function.
If the oven does not reach 650 to put it at 600 for 14 minutes with grill function and always leave the oven closed for another 2 minutes after cooking.
It's really good ...

Bye
Mimma

Sadako Sasaki
katwoman64

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject:

Dear Paul,
this has nothing to do with Microwave, but I know that a lot of people loves Ragù Bolognese.
This is
my mother's recipe of RAGU' BOLOGNESE.
Time: 1 hour and 30 min

Ingredients
5 tablespoons or less of extra-virgin olive oil
1 carrot, finely diced
1 medium onion, finely diced
1 rib celery, finely diced
2 pounds minced veal/beef, without fat
1 bottle of tomato sauce (750 cl)
1 tin of boiled peas (400 gr)
salt and freshly ground black pepper
Parmigiano Reggiano, for grating
Directions
In a 6 to 8 quart heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions, celery, and carrot and sweat over medium heat until the vegetables are translucent and soft but not browned, about 10 to 15 minutes. Add the veal and beef and stir into the vegetables, with
pinch of salt and pepper. Add the meat over high heat, stirring to keep the meat from sticking together until browned. Add the tomato and simmer over medium-low heat for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, - control every once in a while and add water if it's too dry. Twenty minutes before ending the cooking add the peas. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and remove from the heat.

When ready to use, the cooked pasta (fettuccine, rigatoni) should be added to a saucepan with the appropriate amount of hot ragu Bolognese, and tossed so that the pasta is evenly coated by the ragu.

NOTES:
Remember, at the butcher, to choose carefully the minced meat that you want to buy. It has to be as without fat as you can find.

Apart this, if you prepare ragù without peas, you can take some leftover bread, toast it and put some warm ragù on. It's a great alternative to pasta.

Another alteration is, you can add some innards of chicken - liver and heart minced together - to the minced meat. They add flavor to the ragù.

If you don't have celery and carrots, it doesn't matter: go with onion only.

The secret to have a fantastic ragù is in the prolonged cooking, let it simmer the time I told you. If it is too dry, add some water and let it go. You can smell the scent in the whole apartment when it's ready.

Do you remember the recipe to prepare lasagna?
Do it using this ragù, bechamel sauce, parmesan and mozzarella cheese. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...................!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy!
Bye
M

Sadako Sasaki
mary

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:14 am    Post subject:

Hi Kat

This isn't a recipe but it did make me think about you.
I saw cans of soups, actually Baxters soups a popular brand here.
I don't particularly like canned soups haven't bought them in years, prefer homemade soup not that mines the best but it's better than canned.
I was shopping for a friend who loves tomato soup if I was a good friend I'd have made tomato soup but obviously I'm a great friend so didn't inflict this upon them.
Anyway searching for a good brand tomato soup came across this Baxters label saying Italian Wedding Soup, sounded interesting nearly bought it but then thought I would at some point send a posting to my Italian friend on the web.
Find out if it's a con is there any such thing as Italian Wedding Soup just the same way here don't be shocked now.... that we don't have leprechauns.
It was some time ago I did look at the ingredients but it's taken me so long to ask I forget now what they maintain is in the soup.
So Kat can you educate on the subject.

Best wishes...mary.
katwoman64

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject:

Hi Mary,
welcome back, we all missed you.
I know the "Wedding Soup"!

It's from Naples, and the name is "Wedded soup".

We prepare it the day after New Year's Eve, you Boxing Day I think, because traditionally it was made with all the leftover of the day before.
Today, we prepare three separate broths, chicken, beef and a small piece of pork meat, all very concentrated.
Apart we boil in salty water several different green vegetables. You can't miss some cabbage. We usually do it during the week before New Year's Eve and freeze it all. There is no tomato in it.
Then the prescribed day you mix all together, meat and veggies with their different broths and let them simmer till you have a quite dense soup, and serve with some toasted bread.

I swear, it's tasty and great during the winter months, seriously heavy during summer monts.

Look at the ingredients and keep an eye on the preservatives into the tin.

If you feel it is safe, try it once. Otherwise I will send you the proper recipe.

A Big Kiss
Mimma

Sadako Sasaki
mary

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject:

Hi Kat

Thank you for your kind words at beginning of your reply much appreciated.

I hope your new job is going well. I truly admire you for your courage, it's a challenge trying a new career. We all know your a fighter who doesn't let setbacks knock the love of life out of her personality for long.

Thanks for info on the soup. I tried the can version, not too bad. I'm sure it's not as good as homemade, so if and when you get the time could you please post the recipe. As the autumn approaches soon leading into winter it would be nice to brighten mine and my familys days with some Italian food. (Well maybe family if it's too good I could become greedy and not share, if this happens one solution.... make twice as much).

Best wishes to you and your family, hope all are well....mary
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Get to know each other All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: