TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

Need help with a college project on Tony...

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Miscellaneous
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony Obsessed

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:06 am    Post subject: Need help with a college project on Tony...

Yes, that's right I'm writing a profile of Mr. Leung for college and would like the help of as many of you as possible. I will leave some questions here which I would like those who wouldn't mind being quoted in the piece by their forum username to answer.

1. Do you think people's comparisions of Tony's suave image (in In The Mood For Love/2046) to Clark Gable are ridiculous or well observed?

2. What to you makes Tony such a fantastic and gifted actor?

3. In which film do rate Tony's acting the best and why?

4. What else appeals to you about Tony other than his acting?

5. What sets Tony apart from all the other actors in Asian cinema today and why do you feel he is an icon or role model?
Tony Obsessed

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 1:18 am    Post subject:

I really need urgent answers for this piece! Is there anyone here who can help me out?
Safran

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject:

Hello TO -
IŽll try, but the questions are impossible to answer with one sentence.

ad 1
Except being successful and popular in their profession, and superficialities like dark hair and moustache: NOTHING in common - I do not understand the comparisons.

ad 2
In my opinion:
--his talent and charisma
--his curiosity and open mind for different cultural, social and human backgrounds and destinies
--his sensibility and professional seriosity in preparation
--his versatility and his going "his own way"
simply: the love and ambition for his "work"

ad 3
Impossible to choose one !
I love him almost ever - but most in DramaŽs ( Wong Kar Wai, Ang Lee,Tran Anh Hung, Hou Hsiao Hsien)
But no doubt: Tony is a very cute and funny Comedian too !

ad 4
Apart from his unique talent and strong personality, I like TLCW for his :
- modesty without vanity
- shy charm - with discreet sexappeal
- balance and calmness (whether he is at the moment or not )
- honesty and truth to himself and others ( as best as he can)
- absolute love and loyality - privat and in his profession
- humanity

ad 5
All answered points above !

Not many exceptional artists are able to life "down to earth" - hard enough with his popularity over 3 centuries !

Hope I could help you with my (very) private sight and answers
and wish you a successful work on your project!
Friendly Greetings
Safran

Last edited by Safran on Sun May 24, 2009 9:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
francisc4

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject:

Dear Tony Obsessed,

This is my answer :
1. I think people said that just because of Tony's hair style and moustache. I don't think Tony looked like Clark Gable.
2. He's a natural born actor. He can act in any kind of movies. From drama, comedy, kungfu and also action. And he's a great actor.
3. I would say Lust Caution, because his role in the movies is challenging. And the role is full of complexity. It looks very different than his previous role.
4. I like his personality, especially because he is full of responsibility to his families.
5. He's living like common people. And he's very down to earth.

Cisca
mary

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:41 am    Post subject: answers for tony obsessed

Hi Tony Obsessed
Here are my answers to your questions hope they are useful. I saw Tonys answers-interesting-nice of him to reply. Good luck with your project...best wishes mary.

question 1
I don't feel we can compare Tony to any actor. His acting skills are uniquely his, giving what a director wants but on his own terms. His character in these 2 films are his own making he doesn't borrow from other actors. Maybe the slicked back hair and moustache could remind you of Clarke Gable. A slight resemblance is as far as any comparison can go Gables moustache was a trademark for him as an actor. Tony Leung has no trademark he lets his talent shine through in every role he plays.

question 2
His versatility able and willing to play any role in any film category,immersing himself completely into character. His love and dedication for his craft researching and preparing for the part months before filming starts. Always wanting to challenge himself, and surprise his audience by ambitiously trying to find roles that stretch his creative talent further than before.

question 3
Cyclo- The Poet a character of few words acting done through eyes all emotions clearly expressed. Anger bewilderment sadness torment shown by facial and body movements no words necessary. Destruction pain and tragedy are all palpable from Tonys mesmerising performance.

Lust Caution- A challenging role appearing nude in explicit scenes showing himself vulnerable for the sake of his art. Expressing raw emotions Mr Yee is a complex character, Tony slowly peels away the layers during the movie. He plays an older man not by use of makeup but by the way he holds his body and by movement the way he walks. Again his eyes act alot they watch everyone and everything and have a knowledge of life and death. Another great performance.

question 4
His love of life as well as his work. He has an interest in many subjects other than the film industry he comes across as an intelligent well read articulate guy. He likes to make time for his family and friends showing them loyalty. He's been in a long and loving relationship dedicated to his wife. He is always kind considerate and appreciative to his fans. Overall he seems to be a nice person who is down to earth and thankful for what he has gained in life.

question 5
What sets Tony apart from others while acting is his ability to make himself and the audience forget he is Tony Leung, he totally becomes the character he is portraying. Other actors can't let go of their egos ending up playing variations of themselves so their performances are not as realistic as Tonys. He is not egotistical so lets go of his persona as he wants the character to come alive trying to add something new to each role so as his acting is believable and fresh for the audience.
Tony is a role model because of the way he now conducts his life. He's an honest person who admits making mistakes when younger but has turned his life around and lives in a responsible manner remaining loyal and loving to family and friends. He shuns a showbiz lifestyle preferring to stay out of the spotlight except when promoting films etc which is part of the job. He is always modest about his talent never showing signs of a big ego or vanity thanking evryone he works with and showing appreciation towards his fans.
He is an icon a great ambassador for the film industry and his country.
Tony Obsessed

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject:

Thank you for the responses everyone. I don't need anymore now.
mary

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject:

Hi Tony Obsessed
Just curious, how would you answer the questions you put to us?...best wishes...mary.
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Miscellaneous All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: