TONYLEUNG.INFO
Discuss Tony Leung with fellow fans!

Welcome to the Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
  Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages   
Click here to go to Archival Tony Board (2003-2012)

Hema Hema: Sing Me a Song While I Wait
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> The Latest Tony News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Info

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Direct link to Tony's message:

https://www.facebook.com/hemahemafilm/videos/2144575322435075/
yitian

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to 追夢人 Tony Fan Club and
http://k4778.blogspot.com/2016/10/blog-post_209.html
"HEMA HEMA: Sing me a song while i wait" was quickly sold out at the upcoming Taiwan Golden Horse Film Festival. It will be released in Taiwan on December 2nd 2016. Although Tony's role was brief, he gave a performance as surprise and shine as the one in "Days of Being Wild".
「嘿瑪嘿瑪:等待成一首歌(HEMA HEMA: Sing me a song while i wait)」金馬影展預售票瞬間秒殺,影片也將於12月2日正式在台灣上映。「嘿瑪嘿瑪:等待成一首歌」中,梁朝偉飾演參加神秘集會的成員,雖然戲分不多,但充滿驚喜的程度直逼「阿飛正傳」片尾驚鴻一瞥的亮相,尤其影片演員因劇情設定幾乎全程戴著面具,梁朝偉無論摘下或戴上面具的瞬間,都展現國際級影帝的迷人風采、更切合影片的象徵意旨。
Tin-Yau

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish Hema Hema will be screened at Berlinale! Pray
Safran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Info and yitian : MANY THANKS for your effort salute salute flower flower
To Tin-Yau : May your dream come true ! thumbleft ( I guess a realistic chance 😉)
ham

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ham

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yitian

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hema Hema: A Review By Sonam Wangmo Dukpa-Jhalani
Entertainment December 16th, 2016
http://yeewongmagazine.com/hema-hema-a-review/

The title “Hema Hema: Sing Me a Song While I Wait” evokes a story that belongs to the past and also to the present. This is the unusual space the movie occupies; it is of this world and of another at the same time.

Hema Hema is conceptualized, written, and directed by Dzongsar Jamyang Khyentse Rinpoche. Khyentse Rinpoche is an experienced filmmaker who has made movies such as The Cup, Travellers and Magicians, and Vara: A Blessing. He has also authored several books including the latest The Guru Drinks Bourbon?

Like Rinpoche’s unique sensibility distinct in his books and in his previous movies, Hema Hema has an unusual plot. Every twelve years a group of men and women gather in the deep, untouched forests of Eastern Bhutan for fifteen days to find out who they really are. They have the freedom of anonymity to do as they please, but they must follow the rules of not revealing themselves or finding out who the other members are. In this isolated setting of false liberation where one must keep a mask on at all times, things fall apart swiftly and insidiously, and a sinister, karmic price is paid at the end.

The essence of the movie came to Rinpoche from his observation of the social media world where people’s identities are obfuscated by the computer screen and sometimes plain hidden; where people can misinterpret what’s posted, and find a false sense of freedom to spew the most hateful comments without a thought for the other person, and without considering the consequences.

We are immersed in the director’s social criticism of how when masked we unmask our anarchical, beastly tendencies. We, the viewers, also knowingly or unknowingly receive teachings of bardo—the state of limbo between death and rebirth, a state most of us hardly consider.

The lead actor of Hema Hema, Tshering Dorji, a charismatic and natural actor (and an excellent yodeler who takes you to wind and the high Himalayan mountains with his voice), has the hefty task of conveying his feelings with a mask on. It is not the easiest thing to do, but he does so successfully – we feel his desire, we sense his fear, we experience his aggression and remorse. The lovely Sadon Lhamo enacts the role of his love/lust interest, ‘Wrath’. What is remarkable is that Khyentse Rinpoche has roped in two talented and hugely popular Chinese/Hong Kong stars, the ethereal Zhou Xun and deeply, expressive Tony Leung for cameo roles, which they are gushingly, enthusiastic about. Special mention also needs to be made of the elderly Agay (Thinley Dorji), and the perceptive camera work of Jigme Tenzing who captures the rustic beauty of rural Bhutan.

Like an Akira Kurosawa or Satyajit Ray movie, two masters of 20th century cinema, and whom Rinpoche has great admiration for, Hema Hema is slow but dramatic, subtle but powerful. Some of the scenes in the movie are rendered like visual poetry, and some like a mystic, operatic performance. The sensation you will feel at the end is of a circuitous, groundless, timeless one, with shocking consequences. However, “Hema Hema” is not treated with a high, moral hand, instead it has the touch of an artist with a subtle and deep sensibility. Each frame is a beautiful, symbolic, meaning-infused painting with colors that light up the screen.
yitian

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to "Black Hat Entertainment", this the mask Tony wore in "Hema Hema: Song Me a Song While I Wait"
yitian

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From "HEMA HEMA: Sing me a song while i wait Facebook"
https://www.facebook.com/hemahemafilm/photos/a.1916372121922064.1073741829.1899799563579320/2210230429202897/?type=3&theater
22 hours ago
Crying or Very sad

#freehemahema

Hema Hema: Sing Me a Song While I Wait has been officially banned in it's own country of origin. The Department of Culture and the Bhutan InfoComm and Media Authority (BICMA) have decided not to certify the film since they claim it is 'not keeping with our culture and tradition'.

The film which was made by a mostly all Bhutanese team, has been screened in some of the world's most prestigious and storied film festivals. On the international level, the film has been one of Bhutan's best cultural and artistic ambassadors of the year. On the domestic level, it has reached out and connected young Bhutanese artists... daring them to dream and create. It has given them hope that something that they create, can also be screened on the platforms like the Festival del film Locarno and the Elgin & Winter Garden theatre of the Toronto Film Festival. It has showed them that with hard work and dedication, their amateur creations can also win recognition amongst the established professionals of the world.

This narrowed minded decision is not just a ban against the film but a decision against the freedom of expression and creativity in Bhutan. It has sent out a loud and clear message to all aspiring Bhutanese artists that in Bhutan there are boundaries to one's dreams and to one's creativity.

As our Director said on the last day of our shoot... 'Hema Hema will live on... it will live on way after we are all gone'. Ban or no ban, Hema Hema will live on... not for what it is, but for what it stood for.

The editor of the Business Bhutan has written this well thought out editorial on the decision to ban Hema Hema. I share this here.

Pawo Choyning Dorji
Producer
Hema Hema: Sing Me a Song While I Wait

"‘Hema Hema: Sing me a Song While I Wait’, Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche’s latest feature film that had its international screenings at prestigious film festivals like Locarno, Busan and Toronto, will not be screened in Bhutan. Bhutan InfoComm and Media Authority (BICMA) refused to certify the film, which means it cannot be screened anywhere in Bhutan. BICMA’s reason for banning the film is that it has extensively used religious symbols namely Lhatshog masks.

Now, this is ridiculous at best, and dangerous at worst. This is perhaps one extreme example of intolerance and cultural policing especially in the creative industries. Such decisions are either borne out of sheer ignorance and myopic view or overzealous and often misplaced commitment to cultural preservation.

BICMA’s film review board and the Department of Culture must understand that the film in no way distorts or demeans the cultural and religious symbols, its meaning and significance. These masks are used as a visual metaphor to support the narrative. Just that!

BICMA’s decision sends out a wrong message. And it’s not just about Hema Hema or Rinpoche. The implications of barring the screening of the film can be far-reaching, and at many levels. Let’s not even talk about the international mileage that film has garnered for the country.

This decision undermines artistic expression and creative freedom. It reflects the inability of decision makers and media regulator to see the bigger picture. While regulation is a necessary evil to avoid misinformation, deliberate manipulation of facts, and insensitive distortion of cultural values, among others, it should not be arbitrarily imposed to stifle and subdue the budding creative industry.

BICMA has defended its decision saying that a film review board and relevant stakeholders from competent agencies reviewed Hema Hema but we are not sure that these so called reviewers have the creative credibility to dictate how an artistic product should look like or censor a work of art that is critically acclaimed in international circles.

Further, BICMA is tight-lipped about the composition of this team of reviewers so we don’t even have a basis for questioning their logic for shooting down the film. “Extensive use of Lhatshog masks” is a very subjective reason and we need to ask ourselves if we are stifling or even killing artistic freedom in the name of cultural preservation.

The question is does Hema Hema really desecrate religious symbols and its values and meaning? How does one violate a cultural or religious symbol when you are using it purely for the purpose and sake of art? And especially because from an artistic perspective, the use of masks could have been the only way to carry forward the narrative. No masks would mean no Hema Hema.
And the real danger is if we accept and condone such decisions now, it might set a precedent that could be harmful to the growth of the creative industry. We will kill art. We will kill creativity. We will kill freedom of expression. We will kill the very culture we are fighting so desperately to preserve, because there will be no stories or platforms to tell them.

Independent films in Bhutan is slowly picking up, pushing new boundaries. And just when it seems to have made a beginning, culture vultures are threatening to snatch away this opportunity and the right to create and celebrate art. Given that art is invaluable for its intrinsic value, and the impact it has on a thinking society, this is a cause for concern, and a cause everybody, especially artists should fight for.
Tin-Yau

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get it. This is art. Does art have to go along with 'culture and tradition'?
Safran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not ours to judge, probably....nevertheless I wonder:
No artistic freedom Question Crying or Very sad What's about freedom of thought ?
The Kingdom of Buthan is said to be
"The HAPPIEST country of the world " Exclamation
yitian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Question Silenced Dizzy Sad
yitian

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screen captures by Tony fans

yitian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony's message regarding "Hema Hema" at the Shanghai International Film Festival:
http://weibo.com/tv/v/F9lRfdzsz?fid=1034:9a5ca1a653e1f98ae15cdbb6f4777a49
yitian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Hema Hema" director and producer talk about the movie in Shanghai (?).
Note, the video contains both English dialect as well as Chinese (translated by the host) for Chinese audiences ~.
http://www.kankanews.com/a/2017-06-24/0018043701.shtml
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> The Latest Tony News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: