TONYLEUNG.INFO
Discuss Tony Leung with fellow fans!

Welcome to the Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
  Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages   
Click here to go to Archival Tony Board (2003-2012)

Kar Wai's latest
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jamaica

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject: Kar Wai's latest Reply with quote

http://www.avclub.com/article/wong-kar-wai-working-new-and-presumably-very-styli-206083

Hey, who’s In The Mood for a new Wong Kar-Wai movie? That’s a little cinephile humor for you. But seriously, folks, Hong Kong’s visionary director of Chungking Express, In The Mood For Love, and 2046 is reportedly hard at work on his next feature film, according to Indiewire. This is great news for fans of the director, who have waited six years in between his Hollywood crossover attempt, My Blueberry Nights, and his most recent film, the martial arts saga The Grandmaster. Mei Ah Entertainment describes the as-yet-untitled project as a “romance,” which is well-worn territory for Wong. Better yet, all the ladies in the house get excited, because Mei Ah chief executive Patrick Tong Hing-chi says that the lead actor is someone “all women are crazy about.” Who could it be? Ryan Gosling? Michael Fassbender? Benedict Cumberbatch? Honestly, it’s probably Tony Leung, but a girl can still dream.
yitian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think all WKW movies are about “romance” (relationship), one kind or the other Very Happy .
In terms of the lead actor who is someone “all women are crazy about”, I just have one and only name love Laughing .
Well, how do we find out who is going to be the lead actor Wink ?
Jamaica

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol! I was thinking the same thing! All of WKW's films are about romantic relationships, or the longing for one. I read a couple of other pieces online about the new project, and just shook my head that they were throwing around the names of Western actors for the lead! This is a perfect example of the invisibility of Asians in the American conscious! WKW only did ONE movie, his weakest, BTW, with Caucasian actors, all of his masterpieces were Chinese language, and yet these people assume the lead, that all women are crazy about is a white guy! Sheesh!
yitian

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamaica wrote:
Lol! ...... all of his masterpieces were Chinese language, and yet these people assume the lead, that all women are crazy about is a white guy! Sheesh!

Lol!
The latest news report WKW's new film is going to be an adaptation from a short story "摆渡人" by author 张嘉佳 (sorry I don't have the English equivalent for this Embarassed ). If this one is the same film referred above, I don't expect to see any white face in it Laughing .
And I hope the male lead "all women are crazy about" is going to be Exclamation Dancing Wink ..... and it won't take WKW another 10 years to finish Think .
Info

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wong Kar-Wai Next Adapting Zhang Jiajia's Story as 'Ferryman' Film

by Alex Billington
June 23, 2014
Source: Film Biz Asia

Another interesting project on the slate in 2015. The next project from filmmaker Wong Kar-Wai has been confirmed and kinda/sorta announced, with some actual specific information about what it is. The Chinese filmmaker last brought us the beautiful martial arts epic The Grandmaster, but he hasn't made much else since My Blueberry Nights in 2007. Now he's getting ready to direct another romance, to follow up many in his career (like 2046, In the Mood for Love, Chungking Express). This one is an adaptation of Zhang Jiajia's short story Ferryman, as this will be titled, from the collection I Belonged to You sold in China. Read on.

Last week news was reported that we would see Wong Kar-Wai's next movie in 2015, a romance. After many more years of waiting, I'm glad to finally hear he's at it again. But it was finally Film Business Asia (via The Film Stage) that landed confirmation, from Zhang Jiajia, that Wong Kar-Wai would be adapting the short story Ferryman into his next feature. The book is only out in Chinese now, so they explain what it's about:

Originally published on the internet as "bedtime stories", the book is divided into 38 chapters. It is described as a "cluttered" collection of love stories written in the style of a "friend narrating his tales to you in the middle of the night." Wong is adapting the chapter called 擺渡人 (literally Ferryman), about an affair between a girl and a married artist in Changchun. Rights for individual chapters of the book have reportedly been sold to other film companies, but Wong's adaptation is the first that has been officially announced by Zhang himself.

Sounds good to me. Not sure how it will turn out, but a new romance from Wong Kar-Wai is, I think, exactly what we need/should see from him. Last week, it was reported via The Standard in Hong Kong that his new film, shooting in 2015 in China, "[would] be a romantic movie and the main actor is someone 'all women are crazy about.'" Like our friends at SlashFilm joked, it could be 2018 until we even see this new film, if it's just beginning shooting in 2015, but you never know. Maybe it's hopeful to see it at Cannes 2016, two summers away. But that won't be too long of a wait if we're lucky, especially for another Wong Kar-Wai film. Stay tuned for additional updates from here on out, and check out The Grandmaster if you haven't seen it yet.

Source: http://www.firstshowing.net/2014/wong-kar-wai-next-adapting-zhang-jiajias-story-as-ferryman-film/

王家衛拍《擺渡人》攻內地

王家衛繼《一代宗師》之後,昨日內地有報道指他8月將開拍都市文藝愛情新片《擺渡人》,該片是改編自內地作家張嘉佳的暢銷小說《從你的全世界路過》其中一個章節《擺渡人》,小說在內地賣了200萬本,日前在北京慶功,王家衛的澤東電影公司高層彭綺華也有到賀,並公佈與張嘉佳簽定合作電影方案。

張嘉佳在慶功宴上,指王家衛是自己的偶像,回憶這半年寫劇本的經過:「我和王家衛導演喝了兩個通宵。」與偶像接觸心情緊張。他又謝謝王家衛喜歡這本書、喜歡這個劇本。至於卡士會有三王兩后,有記者問到梁朝偉會演出嗎?張嘉佳說一切待定,影片將在南京取景。
Safran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very helpful article....Thank you, Info flower
Tin-Yau

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Info wrote:
Wong Kar-Wai Next Adapting Zhang Jiajia's Story as 'Ferryman' Film

Very interesting. Thanks Info!
yitian

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the entire text of "Ferryman", discovered by Eri Very Happy
http://big5.51job.com/gate/big5/bbs.51job.com/topic.php?tid=305949

擺渡人
文/張嘉佳

小玉文靜秀氣,卻是東北姑娘,來自長春,在南京讀大學,畢業後留在這座城市。她是我朋友中為數不多正常工作的人,不説髒話不發神經,靦腆平靜地活著。
相聚總要喝酒,但小玉偶爾舉杯也被別人攔下來,因為我們都惦記看要有一個人是清醒的,好依次送大家回去。這個人選必須靠譜,小玉當之無愧。
有次在管春的酒吧,從頭到尾默不作聲的小玉偷偷喝了一杯,然後眼睛發亮,微笑愈加迷人。她驀然指著隔壁桌的客人捧腹大笑:快看他,臉這麼長最後還帶個拐彎,像個完整的斜彎鉤,再加一撇那就是個匕。
就是個匕!匕!這個讀音很曖味好嗎?!
全場大汗。從此我們更加堅定了不讓她喝酒的決心。
2008年秋天,大家喝挂了,小玉開著她那輛標致307—個個送回家。我衝個澡,手機猛震,小玉的短信:“出事啦,吃宵夜啊。”我立刻非常好竒,連滾帶爬去找她。
小玉説:“馬力睡我那了。”馬力是個畫家,2006年結婚,老婆名叫江潔。
我一驚:“他是有婦之夫,你不要亂搞。”説到不要亂搞這四個字,我突然興奮起來。
小玉説:“今晚我最後一個送他,結果聽他嘟嚷半天,原來江潔給他戴綠帽子了呢。”
小玉告訴我,馬力機緣巧合發現老婆偷人,憋住沒掲穿。最近覺察老婆對他熱情萬分,還有意無意提起,把房産證名字換成她。馬力畫了半輩子抽象畫,用他淩亂的思維推斷,這女人估計籌備離婚,所以演戲想爭取資産。
我嚴肅地放下小龍蝦,問,那他怎麼打算?
小玉嚴肅地放下香辣蟹,答,他睡看前吼了一嗓子,別以為就你會演戲,明天開始我讓你知道什麼叫做實力派演技。
十月的夜風已經有涼意,我忍不住打個哆嗦。
小玉説,他不肯回家,我只好扶到自己家了。
我説,那你怎麼又跑出來?
小玉沉默一會説:“我躺在客廳沙發,突然聽到臥室撕心裂肺的哭聲,過去一看,馬力裏著被子在哭,哭得蜷成一團。我喊他,他也沒反應,就瘋狂地哭,估計還在夢裏。我聽得心驚肉跳,呆不下去,找你吃宵夜。”
我假裝隨口一句:“你是不是喜歡他?”
小玉扭頭不看我,緩緩點頭。
月亮升起,挂在小玉身後的夜空,像一輪巨大的備胎。
我和小玉絕口不提,但馬力的事情依舊傳播開,人人都知道他在跟老婆鬥智鬥勇。馬力喝醉了就住在小玉家,我陪著送過去,發現不喝酒的小玉在櫥櫃擺了護肝的藥。馬力顛三倒四説著自己亂七八糟的計劃,小玉在一邊頻頻點頭。
由於臥室被馬力霸佔,小玉已經把客廳沙發搞得跟床一樣。我説,這樣也不是個辦法,我給他開個房間吧。
小玉看向馬力,他翻個身,咂咂嘴巴睡著了。
我説,好吧。
臨走前我猶豫著説,小玉……
小玉點點頭,低聲説:我不是備胎。我想了想,我是個擺渡人。他在岸這邊落水了,我要把他送到河那岸去。河那岸有別人在等他,不是我,我是擺渡人。
我嘆口氣離開。
過了半個多月,馬力在方山辦畫展,據説這幾年的作品都在裏面。我們一群人去捧場,面對一堆抽象畫大眼瞪小眼。馬力指著一副花花綠綠的説:這副,我畫了我們所有人,叫做朋友。
我們仔細瞧瞧,大圏套小圈,斜插八百根線條,五顏六色。
我震驚地説,線索紊亂,很難看出誰是誰呀。
大家面面相覷,一哄而散。馬力憤怒地説,呸。
只有小玉站在畫前,興奮地説,我在哪?
馬力説,你猜。
小玉掏出手機,百度著“當代藝術鑒賞”、“抽象畫的解析”,站那研究了一個下午。
又過半個多月,馬力顫抖看找我們,説,“大家幫幫忙,中午去我家吃飯吧。我丈母娘來了,我估計是場硬仗。”
果然是場硬仗,幾個女生在廚房忙著,丈母娘漫不經心地跟馬力説,聽説你的畫全賣了,有三十幾萬?馬力點點頭。丈母娘説,你自由職業看不住錢,要不存我賬上,最近我在買基金,我替你們小倆口打理吧。
滿屋子鴉雀無聲,只聽到廚房切菜的聲音,無助的馬力張口結舌。
管春緩緩站起來,説,阿姨,這樣的,我酒吧生意不鍺,馬力那筆錢他用來入股了。
丈母娘皺起眉頭,説,也不打招呼,吃完我們再談怎麼把錢抽回來。
這頓飯十分煎熬,我艱難地找話題,但仍然氣氛緊張。吃到尾聲,馬力默默走進書房,出來的時候拿著一個盒子,放在桌上,説:“銀行卡的密碼是我們結婚日期,三十萬全在裏面。明天我去把房子過戶給你。”
他頓了頓,説:“太累,離婚吧,你跟他好好過。”
就這樣馬力離婚了,凈身出戶。我問他,明明是前妻出軌,你為什麼反而都給她?馬力説,男人賺錢總比她容易點,有套房子有點存款,就算那個男人對她不好,至少她以後沒那麼辛苦。
他擦擦眼淚,説,我們談了四年,結婚一年多,哪怕現在離婚,我不能無視那五年的美好。
我點點頭,説,也對。
小玉幫馬力租套公寓,每天下班準點去送飯給他。一直到初冬,朋友們永遠記著那天。
江潔和現任老公到管春酒吧,和馬力迎面撞到。他結結巴巴説,“你們好。”那個男人説,“聽説你是個偉人?難得碰到偉人,咱們喝兩杯。”
馬力和江潔夫妻在七號桌玩骰子!整個酒吧的人都一邊聊天,一邊豎起耳朵斜著眼睛觀察七號桌。沒幾圈,馬力輸得吹好幾瓶,臉紅脖子粗。
江潔説:“玩這麼小,偉人也不行了。”
大家覺得不是辦法,我打算找茬趕走那對狗男女。
小玉過去坐下來,微笑著對江潔説:“那玩大點,我跟你們夫妻來,打酒吧高爾夫,九洞的。”
酒吧高爾夫是個激烈的遊戲。去一家酒吧,比賽的雙方直接喝一瓶啤酒,加一杯純的洋酒,叫一桿一球,喝完代表打完一個洞,然後迅速趕往下一家。九洞的意思,就是要喝掉九家,誰先完成,回到起始酒吧,就算嬴了。
江潔盯看她,説:“好啊,就從這裡開始。”接看她點了根煙,報了另外八個酒吧的名字。
全場譁然,我還沒來及阻攔,小玉已經喝完,啪地酒杯敲桌。接著她的眼睛亮起來,如同迷離的燈光裏最亮的兩盞。
小玉和江潔夫妻一起走出酒吧。所有人轟然跟看出門,我盡力湊到小玉邊上,她衝我偷偷一笑,説:“你們都忘記我是東北姑娘。”
這天成為南京酒吧史上無比華麗的一頁。
小玉坐看管春的二手派力奧,抵達1912街區,從亂世佳人喝到瑪索,從瑪索喝到當時還存在的傳奇酒吧。每次都是直接進去,經理已經在桌子上擺好酒,一瓶加一杯,啪地酒杯敲桌,喝完立刻走,自然有人買單。
接著走出街區,其他五家酒吧老闆聞訊趕來,幾輛車一字排開。看熱鬧的人們紛紛打車,一路跟隨。大呼小叫的車隊到上海路,到鼓樓,到新街口,再回新街口。
文靜秀氣的小玉,周身包裏燦爛的霓虹,蹬著高跟鞋穿梭南京城,光芒萬丈。
喝完一個酒吧,小玉的眼睛就會亮一點。她每次都站在出口,掏出一面小鏡子,認真補下口紅,一步都不歪斜,筆直走向目的地。
管春默不作聲開車,我從副駕看後視鏡,小玉不知道想著什麼,呆呆地把頭貼著車窗,臉紅通通的。
回起點的路中,小玉突然開口,説:“陳末,你這一輩子有沒有為別人拼命過?”
我一愣,不知道怎麼回答。
小玉看窗外的夜色,説:“我説的拼命,不是拼命工作,不是拼命吃飯,不是拼命解釋的拼命,那只是個形容詞。我説的拼命,是真的今天就算死了,我也願意。”
她揺揺頭,又説:“其實我肯定不會真的死,所以也不算拼命。你看,我喜歡馬力,可哪怕他離婚了,我也沒法跟他在一起。我喜歡他,願意為他做很多事情,如果我們真的在一起,我一定會要求他也這樣對我。但是不可能啊,他又不喜歡我。所以,我只想做個擺渡人,這樣我很開心。”
我沉默一會,説,真開心,開心得想**大爺。
到了管春酒吧,人頭擠擠,小玉目不斜視,毫無醉態,輕快地坐回原位。人們瘋狂鼓掌,吹口哨,大聲叫好。馬力前妻不見人影,大家喊著贏了贏了。
朋友衝進來興奮地喊:“馬力前妻挂了,最後一家喝完就挂了。”
眾人激動地喝彩,説,他媽的,打敗姦夫淫婦,原來這麼解氣。小玉牛逼!東北姑娘牛逼!文靜妹子大發飆,浪奔浪流浪滔滔!歡迎小玉擊斃全世界的**!
我問,馬力呢?
朋友遲疑地看了眼小玉,説,喝到第三家,姦夫勸江潔放棄,江潔不肯,姦夫一個人跑了。喝到第八家,江潔挂了,坐在路邊哭。馬力過去抱著她哭。然後,然後他送她回家了。
酒吧登時一片安靜。
小玉面不改色,又喝一杯,輕輕把頭擱在桌面,説,操,累了。
如果你真的開心,那為什麼會累呢。
春節小玉和我聊天,説在南京工作五六年,事業沒進展,存不下錢,打算調到公司深圳總部。我説,很好。
我們給小玉送別。大家喝得搖搖晃晃,小玉自己依舊沒沾酒。先把馬力攙扶到樓下,管春上樓繼續背其他人。
馬力坐在廣場的長椅,腦袋耷拉著。我看見小玉站長椅側後方,路燈把兩個人影子拉長。小玉慢慢抬起手,地面上她的影子也抬起手。她微笑著,讓自己的影子抱住了馬力的影子。
可是她離馬力還有一步的距離。
她要走了,只能抱抱他的影子。可能這是他們唯一一次隆重的擁抱。白天你的影子都在自己身旁,晚上你的影子就變成夜,包惠我的睡眠。
世事如書,我偏爰你這一句,願做個逗號,呆在你腳邊。但你有自己的朗讀者,而我只是個擺渡人。
小玉走了。
後來,馬力沒有復婚,去藝術學院當老師,大受女學生追捧。但他潔身自好,堅持單身主義,只探討藝術不探討人生。
後來,小玉深夜打電話給我,説,聽到海浪的聲音沒有?
我説,聽到啦,富婆又度假。
小玉説,以前我特別後悔小時候沒學點樂器。一個人坐在海邊,如果你會彈吉他,或者會吹口琴,那就能獨自坐一天。因為可以在最美的地方,創造一個完全屬於自己的世界。
她停頓一下,説,不過我發現雖然自己什麼都不會,也能在海邊,聽看浪潮,看著篝火,創造一個完全屬於自己的世界。因為啊,我有回憶。
我有回憶。這四個字像一柄重錘,擊中我胸口,幾乎喘不過氣來。
小玉説,剛到深圳的時候,我每晚睡不著,想跟過去的自己談談,想跟自己説,擺渡人不知道乘客究竟要去哪,或者他寧肯停留原地。想跟自己説,那些河流,你就別進去了,因為根本沒有彼岸,擺渡人只能飄在河中心,坐在空蕩蕩的小船,呆呆看看無數激流,安靜等待淹沒。你真傻。
她説,即使這樣,哪怕重來一遍,我也不會改變自己的選擇。這些年我發現,無論我錯過了,後悔了,迷路了,悲傷了,困惑了,痛苦了,其實一切問題都不必糾纏在答案上。我們喜歡計算,又算不清楚,那就不要算了,而有條路一定是對的,那就是努力變好,好好工作,好好生活,好好做自己,然後面對整座海洋的時候,你就可以創造一個完全屬於自己的世界。
2012年春節,我去香港做活動,路經深圳,去小玉家吃飯。小玉依舊文靜秀氣,説話輕聲,買了很多菜,跟保姆在廚房忙活。
我坐在客廳沙發,抬頭看見一幅畫,叫做朋友。
我説,小玉,你怎麼挂著這幅畫?
小玉端看菜走進來,説,三十萬買的呢,我不挂起來太虧啦。
我説,你在裏面找到自己了嗎?
小玉笑嘻嘻地説,別人的畫,怎麼可能找到自己。
我笑著説,你過得很好。
小玉笑著説,是的。
我們都會上岸,陽光萬里,去哪都是鮮花開放。
sparkles_n15

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the translated synopsis of WKW's new film, Ferryman.
Thanks so much to yitian for her help with the edits. Very Happy

+++

(Note: the original story is written from the narrator's point of view)

Xiaoyu is a friend of the narrator. She's a quiet and elegant lady originally from Changchun, but graduated from university in Nanjing. Out of their group of friends, she's the one who's the most level-headed. Whenever they go out for drinks together, she's always the designated driver as she's the most reliable one in the group.

Once, while drinking at their friend's Guan Chun's bar, Xiaoyu secretly drinks a glass. With her eyes lit up from the alcohol, she makes a joke about someone sitting at the table next to them. After narrowly avoiding a confrontation, her friends vowed to never let her drink again.

In the fall of 2008, with everyone drunk after a night out, Xiaoyu drives them home. Later that night, the narrator receives a text from Xiaoyu saying that something has happened and they should go out for a late night snack together. Curious, he goes over to meet her. Xiaoyu then explains that Ma Li is sleeping at her place.

Ma Li is an artist who married a woman name Jiang Jie in 2006. The narrator is initially concerned for Xiaoyu, afraid of how people might label her. Xiaoyu explains that after sending everyone back, Ma Li was the last one. However, Ma Li refused to go home, so Xiaoyu was forced to take him back to her place. After hearing him muttering while drunk, she finds out that his wife has been cheating on him. While Ma Li knows about the affair by chance, he never exposed them. Lately his wife has been hinting about transferring their property to her name, seemingly preparing to divorce him. Xiaoyu said she heard Ma Li crying in her room, but realized that he was still asleep. That's why she decided to call him. The narrator asks if Xiaoyu likes Ma Li. She turns away from him but nods her head.

While they never spoke about Ma Li's situation again, it wasn't long before everyone picked up on his marital problems. Ma Li would often stay over at Xiaoyu's place after a night of drinking, to the point where Xiaoyu's sofa was becoming her bed. The narrator points out that it won't work in the long run and suggests he takes Ma Li to stay at a hotel. Just before they leave, the narrator hesitates for a moment and calls out to Xiaoyu. Xiaoyu acknowledges him and assures him she's fine. "I'm not a replacement, I'm just a ferryman. He fell into the water so I have to send him to shore. I know there's already someone there waiting for him and that person isn't me."

Half a month later, Ma Li holds an art exhibit displaying the pieces he had created over the years. Their group of friends attend to show their support. Everyone takes interest in one of the paintings, which Ma Li has titled Friends. Ma Li says that he included all of them in the painting, but because of the abstract strokes, no one could tell who was who and gave up trying. Xiaoyu was the only who maintained interest and eagerly tried to understanding the painting.

Another half a month later, Ma Li invites everyone to his house for lunch. He says that his mother-in-law is visiting and needs their moral support. During the meal, Ma Li's mother-in-law brings up about how his paintings have sold for $300,000. She openly suggests he gives her his earnings so she can help him invest his money. Everyone goes silent. Guan Chun slowly stands up and tells Ma Li's mother-in-law that Ma Li has already invested into his bar business. Obviously displeased, she says she'll have to find a way for him to get his money back.

With a tense atmosphere hanging over them during the entire meal, Ma Li quietly leaves and returns with a box. He places it down on the table. "The bank pin is the date we got married. The $300,000 is all in the account. Tomorrow I will change the house title to your name. I'm too tired to play games with you, so let's just get a divorce. I hope you will be happy with him."

With that, the two of them filed for divorce. While it was entirely Jiang Jie's fault, everyone asked Ma Li why he decided to leave her everything? Ma Li says that it's easier for men than women to make money. Now that she has a house and money, if the other guy treats her badly then she still has something to fall back on. After dating for four years and being married for one, Ma Li says there are still fond memories of their time together.

After the divorce, Xiaoyu helped Ma Li rent an apartment and brought him dinner every night. Not long after, the beginning of winter approached, but everyone would continue to remember that fateful day.

One day, Jiang Jie and her new husband visit Guan Chun's bar. Ma Li reluctantly goes to greet them. Jiang Jie's new husband says he's heard about Ma Li being a 'good man' and wishes to drink with him. All three of them take a seat at table #7 and starts to play dice. While the chatter inside the bar continues on as normal, everyone can’t help but steal glances towards their table.

Before long, Ma Li's face is completely red from the alcohol. Jiang Jie chides him for his low tolerance, saying they weren't even betting that high. At that point, the narrator says he was ready to go kick the adulterers out of the bar. However, Xiaoyu beats him to their table first. She suggests she takes Ma Li's place in the drinking game, but raises the stakes by playing a game of 9-hole golf. Each of them would have to go to nine different bars and drink one bottle of beer followed by a glass of liquor. Each time they complete a birdie and par, they move onto the next bar. Whoever finishes all nine holes and returns to the original bar first wins.

Jiang Jie sizes her up and agrees to the challenge as the bar erupts in a frenzy. Before the narrator can even stop Xiaoyu, she's already downed her first drink. As all three of them leave the bar, with many spectators tagging along with them, the narrator finally catches up with her. She smiles at him and tells him not to forget she's a 'Northeastern girl’. That night was probably the most spectacular night in the history of Nanjing bars.

With Guan Chun driving Xiaoyu, they quickly move from one bar to the next. Each time all the drinks are already laid out for them. Xiaoyu would walk in, drink, and then leave. Naturally someone would pick up the tab for her. Many people lined up outside to witness the spectacle, some even flagged taxis to follow in on the excitement. After leaving each bar, Xiaoyu's eyes seemed to light up a little more. As she stepped back onto the street, she would take out her compact mirror and re-apply her lipstick. Without even a hint of unsteadiness in her steps, she would make her way towards the next destination.

With Guan Chun driving them back, the narrator glances at Xiaoyu from the rearview mirror. Xiaoyu seems to be lost in thought, with her head resting against the window and her face completely pink. Suddenly, Xiaoyu speaks up, "Chen Mo, in your entire lifetime, have you ever fought for someone else?"

Caught off guard, the narrator couldn’t think of a response. Xiaoyu continues. "When I say fighting, I don't mean over work or food. It's not fighting in the sense of fighting. It's the feeling where, even if you were to die, you would feel like the fight was worth it." Xiaoyu shakes her head. "Obviously I'm not going to die, so I guess that doesn't count then. See, I like Ma Li. Even though he's already divorced, I still cannot be with him. I like him and I'm willing to do anything for him. If we ever end up together, I would also request him to do the same for me. But that's impossible, because he doesn't like me. So I guess the most I can be is a ferryman. That way I will be happy."

After returning to Guan Chun's bar, Xiaoyu casually sits back in her original seat without a hint of drunkenness. The bar erupts in applause and whistles, with everyone congratulating Xiaoyu. With Jiang Jie and her husband nowhere in sight, everyone proclaims Xiaoyu to be the winner.

A friend runs in and excitedly tells the crowd that Jiang Jie gave up at the last bar. Everyone cheers for Xiaoyu and ridicules Jiang Jie and her husband for their defeat. The narrator suddenly realizes that Ma Li is nowhere to be seen.

After stealing a concerned glance at Xiaoyu, the friend says that by the third bar, Jiang Jie's husband had tried to persuade her to give up. When she refused, he took off by himself. After she reached the eighth bar, she could no longer drink and sat on the streets crying. Ma Li gently went over to console her, then finally took her home.

The bar goes completely silent. Xiaoyu face remains unchanged and drinks another glass. Afterwards, she rests her head on the table and says she's very tired.

If you were really that happy, how could you be that tired.

In the new year, Xiaoyu informs the narrator that she plans on relocating to Shenzhen for better work opportunities. Their friends decide to throw her a farewell party at the bar. As usual, Xiaoyu doesn't drink an ounce of alcohol. After helping a drunken Ma Li down the steps, Guan Chun goes to retrieve the rest of their friends. The narrator sees Xiaoyu standing behind Ma Li, who's sleeping on the bench. As the streetlight shines upon them, their shadows are cast onto the ground. Xiaoyu slowly raises her arms and her shadow gently embraces Ma Li’s shadow.

Life is like a book. I love you, so I'm willing to become a comma, always resting by your footsteps. However, you will always have your readers and I will always be the ferryman.

After she left, Ma Li never remarried. He became a teacher at an arts school and had a legion of admirers from his students. However, Ma Li continued to remain single and devoted himself to his art.

A while later, Xiaoyu calls up the narrator in the middle of the night and asks if he can hear the sound of the waves. He says yes, and speculates that she's on another trip by the ocean. Xiaoyu regrets never learning to play a musical instrument. If she could play a guitar or the harmonica, she would be able to sit in front of the ocean by herself for the entire day. With such beautiful surroundings, she could create a world solely for herself.

However, Xiaoyu stops and says that regardless of her inabilities, she's still able to sit by the ocean, hear the waves and stare at the bonfire. She can still create her own world because she has her memories.

Xiaoyu says that when she first moved to Shenzhen she wasn't able to sleep at night because she wanted to talk to her former self. She wanted to tell herself that the ferryman has no idea where the passengers need to go. Perhaps the passengers want to remain at the starting point. She wants to tell herself not to let the rush of the water pull her in, because there's no shore. The ferryman can only float in the river inside his empty boat, as he quietly waits for it to submerge.

Xiaoyu says that even knowing this outcome, she would probably not change a thing if given a second chance. No matter how many missed opportunities or regrets, how off course life becomes, how much sadness, confusion or pain, the important thing is to not dwell on the answer. Everyone likes to plan, but no one can plan accurately. The only path that's correct lies with working diligently, living life to its fullest and becoming a better person. Then, when you face the entire ocean, you will be able to create a world that's entirely your own.

During the new years holiday in 2012, the narrator visits Xiaoyu at her home in Shenzhen. With Xiaoyu busy in the kitchen, the narrator takes a seat on her sofa and sees the painting Friends hanging above him. He asks her why she has the painting in her home. Xiaoyu says that it cost her $300,000, so of course she had to get her money's worth by displaying it. The narrator asks if she manage to find herself in the painting? Xiaoyu laughs and says that she couldn't possibly find herself in someone else's artwork.

The narrator asks her if she's doing well. She laughs and says yes.

Both of them have finally reached the shore. The sun is shining and everywhere you look, flowers are blossoming all around.
yitian

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My editing is nothing compare to your effort Embarassed . Great job Applause love .
Enjoyed reading your translated Ferryman (more like Ferrywoman Wink ).
Thanks Giving a kiss .
Eri

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much, Jenny and yitian,

It must be time consuming to do all the translation. Computer

Really appreciated.

When I read the story for the first time, I immediately imaged Tony as Ma Li. Wink
Safran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great job you did, Jenny Applause....with Eri's ...and yitians helpful support flower flower flower
Many thanks for this enormous effort.....for all of us. Applause
Looking forward to watching another bitter-sweet WKW/ Tony movie love Crying love
Tin-Yau

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG Shocked thank you so so much Jenny and Yitian!
Applause sunny
Yuka

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Jenny,
Thank you so much for your translation !!!!!! Very Happy
astrid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kudos to Jenny and Yitian!

Good to hear another WKW's work is coming
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Movies All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: