TONYLEUNG.INFO
Discuss Tony Leung with fellow fans!

Welcome to the Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
  Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages   
Click here to go to Archival Tony Board (2003-2012)

Eri's HK Travel Diary
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Get to know each other
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Safran

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it regrettable to see all those beautiful old/traditional buildings
in such a bad state of repair ? Crying or Very sad Guess it is too expensive and many poor regions of China have better things to invest. Nevertheless it is sad, when this special period
gets lost forever. Crying or Very sad Do you know whether Chikan has the status of "World Cultural Heritage"....or not ?
Tin-Yau

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yitian wrote:
AND, I forgot to mention Embarassed , Eri, your picture taking skill is really good salute flower .

I second that!!! thumbright

I said it before and I say it again, each time I see pics of that city I start to drool. Drool Thank you Eri!

Safran wrote:
in such a bad state of repair ? Crying or Very sad Guess it is too expensive and many poor regions of China have better things to invest. Nevertheless it is sad, when this special period
gets lost forever. Crying or Very sad

Helga, so so true!
jing

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I? Wink

Eri

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yitian wrote:

It looks to me that people actually live there, in Chikan Village. I wonder where did they go when WKW rented the entire street for 3 years in order to shoot his film Think ?:

I think WKW rented the movie studio for 3 years, and probably used one alley of Chikan Village to take old HK street scenes. I am not sure but people might have lived in these houses even when they were shooting.

Safran wrote:
gets lost forever. Crying or Very sad Do you know whether Chikan has the status of "World Cultural Heritage"....or not ?

Helga,
Most of these buildings need repair certainly, but not so easy. I think younger people lives in the city centre and mainly old people live in these old buildings.

I think Chikan is also part of "World Caltural Heritage" and perhaps this status makes even more difficult to repair because these buildings has to be remain as original as possible. As we all know, repairing more than 100 years old buildings cost much more than building new ones.

www.kptour.com:8080/Attractions/chikan.html

Tin-Yau wrote:
yitian wrote:
AND, I forgot to mention Embarassed , Eri, your picture taking skill is really good salute flower .

I second that!!! thumbright

I said it before and I say it again, each time I see pics of that city I start to drool. Drool Thank you Eri!

Safran wrote:
gets lost forever. Crying or Very sad

Helga, so so true!

Thanks for your compliments, yitian and Heike,

It is not my skill, these places are just impressive.

I also hope these buildings are repaired before it becomes too late.

Thanks jing for comparing the photos.

I think Chikan Alley's Old HK street was already gone by the time we went.

The stairs of Yip Man's house seems to have more decorative wood carvings before, but the last scene of Yip Man (International and US version) was probably taken additionally, after the decoration was ripped off.
Safran

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks, jing flower
Jamaica

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eri, thank you so much for sharing your travel diary! I've never traveled outside of America, so it's wonderful to hear and see pictures of places I've never been! So many wonderful sites and tasty-looking food! I always enjoy people sharing their trips to HK, here. I think such a trip would be too stressful for me, but at least I can experience a little of it through you guys, all while sitting in the comfort of my own home. (At the moment, my Cantonese isn't nearly strong enough to attempt conversation. Need to work on that some more, before I try to vacation in HK!)

And bless Tony, for being such a good sport, and visiting with you all, in spite of feeling under-the-weather. What a sweetie!
Eri

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamaica wrote:
I think such a trip would be too stressful for me, but at least I can experience a little of it through you guys, all while sitting in the comfort of my own home. (At the moment, my Cantonese isn't nearly strong enough to attempt conversation. Need to work on that some more, before I try to vacation in HK!)

Jamaica, thank you for your comments.

I cannot say the trip to China (or even HK) is Not Stressful for me, however I try to enjoy unexpected things. I am perhaps adventurous. Laughing

Also wherever I visit, people think I am a local resident. This makes traveling sometimes easier but sometimes harder. Rolling Eyes
astrid

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eri wrote:
Jamaica wrote:
I think such a trip would be too stressful for me, but at least I can experience a little of it through you guys, all while sitting in the comfort of my own home. (At the moment, my Cantonese isn't nearly strong enough to attempt conversation. Need to work on that some more, before I try to vacation in HK!)

Jamaica, thank you for your comments.

I cannot say the trip to China (or even HK) is Not Stressful for me, however I try to enjoy unexpected things. I am perhaps adventurous. Laughing

Also wherever I visit, people think I am a local resident. This makes traveling sometimes easier but sometimes harder. Rolling Eyes

I grew up a Hongkonger. But people often mistake me for a tourist there. LOL.

I do agree that one should try not to sweat the stressful things (which are bound to happen) but to focus on the good things when traveling. Very Happy
Eri

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

astrid wrote:

I do agree that one should try not to sweat the stressful things (which are bound to happen) but to focus on the good things when traveling. Very Happy

Dear astrid,

Did you speak Cantonese when you were in HK ?

One of the reasons for me to learn Cantonese is that people expect me to speak Cantonese and when I say "I don't understand Cantonese." in English, they used to show the expression like "You must be joking, why ?" and more recently, they start talking in Chinese as I experienced a lot this time.

If I can speak Cantonese, I don't have to say " I am a Japanese tourist and I don't understand Cantonese, could you speak English" everytime and everywhere in HK.
On the other hand, "fake brand watch dealers" never ask me on the street.

Wink
Tin-Yau

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamaica wrote:
(At the moment, my Cantonese isn't nearly strong enough to attempt conversation. Need to work on that some more, before I try to vacation in HK!)

Jamaica, you don`t really need to be able to speak canto in HK. Decent English is enough.
Tin-Yau

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eri wrote:

What a blessing, Eri. These "tailor" guys are so annoying, sometimes really make me angry.
astrid

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eri wrote:
astrid wrote:

Dear astrid,

Did you speak Cantonese when you were in HK ?

One of the reasons for me to learn Cantonese is that people expect me to speak Cantonese and when I say "I don't understand Cantonese." in English, they used to show the expression like "You must be joking, why ?" and more recently, they start talking in Chinese as I experienced a lot this time.

If I can speak Cantonese, I don't have to say " I am a Japanese tourist and I don't understand Cantonese, could you speak English" everytime and everywhere in HK.

Wink

I guess learning the foreign language always make your trip easier.

I might pick up a new language too. (Perhaps Japanese? Wink)
Eri

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin-Yau wrote:
Eri wrote:

What a blessing, Eri. These "tailor" guys are so annoying, sometimes really make me angry.

I guess there are always good side and bad side to be seen as a local. Laughing
Now, I am enjoying all of it.

I must have Southern Asian facial features because I have been asked the way in Cantonese even in Japan. Very Happy
Eri

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

astrid wrote:

I guess learning the foreign language always make your trip easier.

I might pick up a new language too. (Perhaps Japanese? Wink)

Hi astrid,

Japanese is not so useful outside Japan, but it is quite easy language to speak, no tones and no difficult sounds to pronounce. Wink
astrid

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eri wrote:
Tin-Yau wrote:
Eri wrote:

I guess there are always good side and bad side to be seen as a local. Laughing
Now, I am enjoying all of it.

I must have Southern Asian facial features because I have been asked the way in Cantonese even in Japan. Very Happy

Like higher cheekbones? Though very few of the first generation in Hong Kong were locals and most of us are offsprings of these migrants from China in the East Asia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Get to know each other All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: