TONYLEUNG.INFO
Discuss Tony Leung with fellow fans!

Welcome to the Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
  Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages   
Click here to go to Archival Tony Board (2003-2012)

Eri's HK Travel Diary
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Get to know each other
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Safran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess this Chinese adventure might have been a really new experience for you......Wink
Thanks for the great TG-location pics love ......and detailed report flower
sparkles_n15

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohhhh!! You went to China!! Very very brave. Wink
Thanks for sharing all the photos! Sorry to hear about all the difficulties you had trying to communicate with the locals. For what it's worth, I think your pronunciation is fine. Jia you!!
Eri

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day 6 (17 April)

We got up and had Chinese style breakfastat at the hotel. Hot soy milk was very nice. Noodles, congee, some Chinese bans etc.
I gave up speak in English here, so all the conversation was in Cantonese this day until we went back to HK.
We got ready for sight seeing this morning. After checked out the hotel, I asked at the counter if we can get a bus to the Lap Garden. The lady at the reception gave me a simple map and told me "you can get the bus just outside the hotel.", so we went to the bus stop and checked the destination. I found the bus stop called "Entrance to Lap Garden", so I thought this must be the nearest stop. (but probably we should have taken another bus going nearer)

We got on the bus and looking at the bus stop names. When I was not looking carefully, the bus stopped at Entrance to something, and I thought it must be our stop, and got off the bus, started walking on the direction of the map. We walked about 15 minutes and asked local lady, "Is this a way to Lap Garden ?" then the answer was "You have to go back to the main road and get on the bus". So we went back to the main road and went into the local shop to buy some water and asked again, a man at the shop also said that I had to get on the bus again.

http://e.ccnpic.com/tourism_article.html?id=246

A little later another bus came so we got on and got off at Entrance to Lap Garden.
We walked about 30 minutes, and found the sign post for turning left to the side street, so we walked on the side road in the middle of farming land for about 15 minutes, and asked some farmers again "Is this the way to the Lap garden ?" then, they said "You better go back to the main road." We wondered but went back to the main road and walked further, then we found a restaurant so asked the people preparing some vegetable outdoor again "Is this the way to the Lap Garden ?", they said "Still straight ahead" so we walked more than 1 hour by then. Then there was cross road, so I asked a man sitting outside "Which is the way to Lap Garden", then he pointed the side street in front of him and said "This way. about 3km". We walked this street for about 20 minutes, then we finally saw the Lap Garden.
However it was the back entrance for employees. There was a guard there, and asked us "Do you have a ticket ?" We didn't. He first said "You have to go to the main entrance to buy tickets", so I asked him "How long does it take to go to the main entrance on foot ?", then his answer was "about 40 minutes". I said "Oh, no. We don't have so much time". Then he thought about it and asked us "You have to pay 100 yuan each to go in, if you really want to buy tickets, I will ask someone to bring the tickets here to sell you, so wait a little while here". I thanked him. He called someone in the office to bring 2 tickets for us. After a while a man on a moter bike got 2 tickets and we paid him the money. Now we can go in the garden. I asked the man "which way is the main entrance and if we can get taxi from there ? " They showed us the way.
We went thru the garden and just quickly going thru the places, because we were worried about going back to the bus terminal in time. Anyway this place was walled, so if you walk inside the garden, it doesn't take so long.

I think I have to give my sincere apology to my travel companion for walking such a long distance with me to reach this place on the day. (We actually should have taken a taxi and spent more time there.)

Lap Garden is Li Garden in Mandarin.
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/08/12/travel/china-watchtowers-kaiping-diaolou/

When we got to near the main entrance, I asked again "Where can I get a taxi ? I want to go to the bus terminal." The man at the entrance said "There is no taxi, but if you go to the main road, there is a public bus which goes to the bus terminal" I wanted to make sure this time, so I asked "Which number is the bus ?" then he said "The bus has no number but the green one".
So we walked to the main road and looking for a bus stop, but there was the only one on the other side of the road, so we were not sure and asked people passing by. After a while, a green bus was coming, so I stopped the bus and asked the driver, "Is this bus going to the bus terminal ?"He said "hai a hai a" (yes). That was the happiest moment of the day. I thought "Now we can go back to the bus terminal on time for the reserved bus back to Lo Wu".
When we got to the bus terminal, we still got some time to have lunch, so we had some local food at cafeteria and buy some drinks.
I felt at ease when we finally got on the bus to Lo Wu.
When we arrived there after about 3 hours, we went thru both immigrations, and got on the MTR to go back to the hotel.
It wasn't easy, but we survived. I thought when it is really necessary, I can communicate with people somehow. This day's experience perhaps improved my Cantonese communication skills a little.

In the evening, I met my other Cantonese teacher who I haven't seen for about 5 years. She took me to a very nice Mongolian/Silkroad restaurant. I enjoyed the food and conversation in Japanese this time after the hard day.

http://www.openrice.com/english/restaurant/sr2.htm?shopid=39160

to be continued to day 7

Last edited by Eri on Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Eri

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoi Ping village

Eri

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lap Garden ( Li Garden)

Eri

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meal at the bus terminal.

Eri

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silkroad Dinner

Stir Fried Camel's hump (very nice)

Ox Tangue

Sweet & Sour Lamb
Eri

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Helga, Jenny.

It was a very good experience after all.

I enjoyed talking to the local people. Wink

Actually the people in the country side were very kind. Very Happy
Safran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Journeys are full of incidents.... Shocked
Seems , somehow you two brave Japanese girls had to go through a kind of "Chinese Odyssey 2014" in the country....haha .
Thanks for sharing " the good, the bad and the weired" adventures with us Wink
Guess you was happy you could use... and improve your Cantonese....and later, back in familiar HK, report and praise your teacher Smile
I like the pics from Hoi Ping village..... looking very nice and pitoresque.
The "Silkroad Dinner" on the end of this exiting day, looks very delishes Smile
Tin-Yau

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wahh, so nice photos Eri! Thanks a lot for sharing.
Come to think of it, I should have come with you, such a nice place.

Btw, I read everything when I`m back home, not enough time here! Wink
Eri

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day 7 (18 April)

After another Branch Yam Cha, we went to a cinema near MTR Po Lam station at the end of Tseung Kwan O line. That was the only cinema which had enough tickets for the morning show of the movie we wanted to watch, "Kano".

http://blogs.wsj.com/scene/2014/03/18/qa-kano-director-umin-boya/

It was more then 3 hours, but I didn't feel that was so long. I really like all Wei Te Sheng movies, so I wanted to watch this one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wei_Te-Sheng

After watching the movie, we went to have a usual HK sweet, and did some shopping.
In the evening, I met a Japaneae friend who has been living in HK for more than 10 years, and had dinner at the Macau Restaurant. Enjoyed the time talking about a lot of things happened since we last met a few years ago.

http://forum.allabouthongkong.com/index.php?/blog/6/entry-972-macau-restaurant-¿Dªù¯ùÀ\ÆU-tsim-sha-tsui/

to be continued to day 8

Last edited by Eri on Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eri

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brunch

Eri

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet

Eri

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dinner

Eri

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once I. Started, I have to continue to the last, so another day.
Meeting with Heike for the first time. Very Happy

Day 8 (19 April)

We had another Yam Cha breakfast, but this time ordered fewer things at The Sweet Dynasty because we were planning to meet Heike and have lunch together.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g294217-d786130-Reviews-The_Sweet_Dynasty_Tsim_Sha_Tsui-Hong_Kong.html

We took the star ferry to go to Central and met Heike at the Lamma Ferry port.
It was first time to meet Heike. We introduced ourselves and walked to the bus terminal to get on the bus to Stanley. When we arrived at Stanley, we went to the Stanley Plaza first, and sitting outside with some coffee and talked about Tony, HK, the places we visited etc.
After walked around a little, we decided to have lunch at a restaurant Heike recommended.
I though we ordered too much at first, as the portions of each dishes were quite big, but it wasn't a problem, all the dishes were tasty and three of us finished all.

http://www.openrice.com/english/restaurant/sr2.htm?shopid=3759

After Stanley, we went to Repuls Bay and walked thru beach side hiking path. We enjoyed a good view of the beautiful beach and the buildings, I thought about afternoon tea at the Verandah but it was Saturday and probably not possible without booking in advance.
We spent some time looking st the sea and talking.

http://www.nextstophongkong.com/attractions/top-attractions/repulse-bay-stanley-market/

Then, we decided to go to the peak, as I haven't been there this time yet. (Heike has been there already but she said she doesn't mind)
Because it was during Easter Holiday, we thought the peak might be also crowded, so back to the bus terminal and looked at the bus stop to the peak. Not so many people waiting, so we got on the bus to the peak.

We walked the peak round course once, then it was getting a little dark, Heike was trying to get a shot of the Sun set. Then, I wanted to go to the place I haven't been, so we decided to go up to the Top of the Peak Park. (Heike has been there before of course)
It was quite steep up hill and Heike warned me in advance "If it is too hard, let me know", however I enjoyed this very much. It was getting cooler and I felt very good. After about 20 minutes walk we arrived at this park. After a short rest, Heike took me to the place with a very good view. Looking down HK skysclapers. That's the place I called "The Top of The World".

We stopped at a stall selling drinks near this park. When I bought a water using Cantonese (but not native speaker) and talking to Heike in English, one of them told me "You are Chinese and speaks good English", and tried to speak to me in Mandarin, so I had to tell them once again, "I don't understand Chinese and I am not Chinese. I am Japanse" in Cantonese. Then an old lady said "Arigato" (Thank you in Japanese) so I also said "Arigato" and smiled.

When we came down to the Galleria we had dinner at Mak's noodles and enjoyed the evening.

http://traveleatshop.wordpress.com/2013/10/08/maks-noodle/

When we got to the bus stop after a while, we saw a long line of people waiting to get the bus back to the ferry port, and we could get the third bus departed there finally. We said quick good bye when we got off the bus, and got on the ferries. Heike to Lamma me star ferry to Kowloon.

to be continued to the last day.

Last edited by Eri on Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Get to know each other All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: