TONYLEUNG.INFO
Discuss Tony Leung with fellow fans!

Welcome to the Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
  Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages   
Click here to go to Archival Tony Board (2003-2012)

Eri's HK Travel Diary
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Get to know each other
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eri

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Yat-sen Museum

Eri

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dinner and Sweets

Eri

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comment, Helga.

Yes, I can up load my photos now. Very Happy

Heike,

Wong Tai Shin is always very crowded with Tourists, I think.
Probably the most popular one in HK ?
When we visited, the priests or monks were marching from the main building to somewhere else. I wasn't sure exactly what they were doing.
Tin-Yau

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh everything looks veeery delish, Eri!

I`ve been to Wong Tai Sin before many many times. Yes right, it`s mostly a little crowded and very popular.
Did you visit Diamond Hill as well, the nunnery at the next MTR station? Next to it is a beautiful chinese garden. See pics from it in my last years report. Always worth a visit. Wink
Eri

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heike,

I wanted to visit the garden after I saw your picture last year, but I just didn't have time. Maybe next time.
Safran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You was very busy indeed Eri Wink ....visited a lot of
interesting places......and enjoyed delicious meals love
I'm looking forward to reading your Chinese adventures in Hoi Ping Smile
(hopefully meeting more kind and helpful people, than the ladies on the ticket-counter ) Smile
Eri

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day 5 (16 April)

We got up quite early this morning and left our suitcases at the porter of the hotel and got on MTR to Lo Wu. Went thru both HK and China immigrations and arrived at Shanzhen.
Previously, I checked 2 bus companies and decided to go to the newer bus company called Kiu Co.(means Overseas Chinese) because this one is cheaper and departs on time.

When we got to the ticket counter, it was about 9 o'clock, and there was a bus leaving at 9:15, so I was going to buy the tickets, but the lady at the counter asked me something, and I couldn't understand what she said, so I said "I don't understand", then she started speaking in Mandarin Chinese, so I had to say "I don't understand Chinese" again. There was a young girl speaks some English near by, so I asked her "What is the lady asking ?" but she said "I don't know how to explain it in English". Was it something so complicated ? It is still a mystery to me.
I just guessed that was probably "It is going to be a bit of rush if we take this bus, is it better to take the next bus ?" Or " Next bus is bigger and better seat, would you like to take the next one ?" In the end the lady at the counter decided for us to give us 10:30 bus tickets.
Now we got some time to have a breakfast and look around this border city. There are a lot of people from other part of China.
We went back to the bus terminal after buying some water and cheesecakes and egg tarts for this afternoon.
When we got on the bus, there was another small problem. One staff told us to get off after they checked our tickets, so we were worried if something wrong with our tickets. It turned out to be "we should have gone back to the gate and the tickets had to be scanned before we got on the bus". That's done and our bus departed for Hoi Ping. It took about 3 hours. My travel companion was asleep most of the time, but I cannot sleep while I am sitting down. Never mind.

When we arrived at the bus terminal, we bought some bottled water and got on the local bus to Chikan where the movie studio was used for the Grandmaster.
It was about 30 minutes bus ride from the bus terminal, and went on the country road with lots of Diao Lau ( the towers build by people who worked abroad made money and came back here).
As soon as we arrived there, we went to this movie studio and found a lot of posters and explanation of the Grandmaster. We took a lot of photos.
Then, we walked thru Chikan village. Very interesting buildings called "Kei Lau" with western influence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaiping
http://www.icm.gov.mo/exhibition/tc/kpintroE.asp

When we took the bus back to the bus terminal, and tried to take a taxi to the hotel, there were lots of people waiting for a taxi and there wasn't any queue like in any other country, so we might have to wait a very long time before we can get a taxi. Soon one tricycle driver approached us and asked " Where do you wanna go ?" so I replied the hotel name. He said "15 yuan, very cheap." I knew even a proper taxi only costs 10 yuan, however we didn't want to wait, so got on this.
It was very scary riding an old tricycle on the main road with a lot of cars. Thank god it was only about 5 minutes and one turning left to the hotel.

When we arrived the hotel and checked in, the hotel reception said that I can't use my credit card, because they only take Chinese card, and I have to pay in cash with some deposit. I was expecting to be able to pay by card at 4star hotel. I didn't have enough cash in Chinese money. They said "change money at a bank", but the bank is closed already, they don't take HKD or Japanese Yen. We both didn't know what to do, then I asked her "Is there any ATM which can be used with my card ?" She said "there is ATM just around the corner but not sure if you can use the card."
So we went out to look for ATM, I tried all my cards without success, but then I noticed that the machine said "it exceed the limit", so I tried with only 100 yuan withdrawal, then it worked. I got 100 yuan at a time and repeated it a few times to get enough money to pay the hotel bill.
So I paid the deposit of 400 yuan ( usually 500, but she said it is OK to pay 400.)

Because we wanted to make sure we use my card to have dinner that evening, we took a taxi to the only 5 star hotel in the town. They have Easter buffet at the restaurant and they take the card, so we had a big feast of a lot of different kind of food including grilled to order meat. The grilled chicken was very good.

After the dinner, we asked a bell boy to call a taxi. He was very kindly called a taxi and asked us to wait at the entrance. ( in English) At the time, a big group of people coming out from the hotel after a party. As soon as taxis arrived, they were taken by other party guests.
The bell boy cared about us and asked "Taxi not yet ? I call again". Then when another taxi approached the entrance, and other guests were trying to get on, he asked the taxi driver "Is that the taxi I called ?" Then immediately the other guests complained "I also called the taxi". Then the bell boy kindly explain that "They are foreign visitors and waiting for a taxi for a long time". Then they understood and let us take this taxi.

Even though I told taxi driver our hotel name and showed him the hotel card, so he understood,
when we were near the hotel, he seemed to ask me, "Are you going to the Hotel or the apartment ?" (In Chinese) I couldn't understand what he said, and only got the name of the hotel, so I said "Yes". Then he took us to the entrance of the apartment next to the hotel.
I couldn't see the meter and try to find out how much it was, then he said angrily in Chinese again, "Can you see ? It's 10 yuan" and he said something like "What a heck ! Dumb person you are ! cannot speak Cantonese or Chinese." in Cantonese. I wish these people to speak in Cantonese and not automatically switching to Mandarin Chinese when I couldn't understand.
It is very confusing.

I remembered the scene in the Grandmaster and wanted to say to the taxi driver that "You only see Chinese and Cantonese (North and South), I see the world. There are people outside Chinese world, and using different languages".
We just walked to our hotel entrance next door.
All in all it was interesting and enjoyed the adventure.

Next day was supposed to be an easy half day sight seeing and going back to HK, but it turned out to be a nightmare or a daydream. Ha ha ha

To be continued to day 6
Eri

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Movie Studio

Eri

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chikan

ham

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for sharing your adventure. Eri.
Sorry.I can't join you all to have dim sum.
I'm looking forward reading your next diary. Very Happy
Tin-Yau

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eri I so love the photos! This must have been a wonderful place, thank you very much for sharing!
yitian

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Eri, you managed posting so many stories and pics in such a short time frame - took me quite a while to read them. Must have consumed a lot of time for you to write up. Thank you so much for sharing your stories with us flower.

Your adventure to Kaiping (Hoi Ping) is particularly interesting to read. Sorry that you have to go through so much trouble to get there Sad. Did you see the stripped to bare bone “Golden Pavilion”? I heard all valuables were removed very shortly after shooting of The Grandmaster ended scratch .

Look forward to hearing more stories about your HK trip filled with The Grandmaster - our one and the only Grandmaster is such a nice and admirable person In Love . So moved to hear him meeting with this gang of his fans, despite the fact that he had been sick. Sincerely wish he is fully recovered sunny .
Eri

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yitian wrote:

Your adventure to Kaiping (Hoi Ping) is particularly interesting to read. Sorry that you have to go through so much trouble to get there Sad. Did you see the stripped to bare bone “Golden Pavilion�? I heard all valuables were removed very shortly after shooting of The Grandmaster ended scratch .

yitian, I saw a room probably used for the Golden Pavillion, but this room was used for a wedding ceremony scene of Chinese TV, so looked completely different. I really wanted to see the Golden Pavillion.

yitian

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't tell whether this room was the one or not. Too bad that "Golden Pavilion" is a thing of the past Crying or Very sad .
Eri

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at my photos again, perhaps The Golden Pavillion might have been in this bigger place which is now "Hetel Paris".

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Get to know each other All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: