TONYLEUNG.INFO
Discuss Tony Leung with fellow fans!

Welcome to the Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
  Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages   
Click here to go to Archival Tony Board (2003-2012)

A Century of Chinese Cinema
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Random Thoughts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sparkles_n15

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: A Century of Chinese Cinema Reply with quote

This was just announced today by the Toronto International Film Festival:

兩岸三地 百年電影光華 - A Century of Chinese Cinema
Mainland/Hong Kong/Taiwan
Runs June 5 to August 11
80 FILMS. MAJOR EXHIBITIONS. SPECIAL GUESTS.
An unprecendented celebration of Chinese Cinema

Guests in attendance include... Chen Kaige, Jackie Chan, Nansun Shi, Johnnie To and more!
Gallery guests: Yang Fudong, Christopher Doyle

The list of films can be seen through the TIFF.net site
Tin-Yau

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That`s great, Jenny!
So many movies I`d love to see on the big screen.
Go for it!
Smile

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Jenny ! Envy you a bit Wink ...guess you will not miss to visit some screenings - especially some Tony-films on the big screen ? Laughing ENJOY !

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guess who ! Embarassed
yitian

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
guess who ! Embarassed
Helga as always Question Exclamation Very Happy

Lucky Jenny, this program looks great. Hope The Grandmaster will be added to it later. Enjoy Razz .
Safran

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Wink
sparkles_n15

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was lucky to attend a screening of Chungking Express yesterday at TIFF's Century of Chinese Cinema. Chris Doyle was invited to introduce the film and also gave a Q&A session at the end. If anyone has ever met him, you would know he's kind of eccentric to put it mildly. It was a very lively talk - partly because I couldn't tell if he was drunk or not. Wink

When he was asked to describe what filmmaking meant to him, he says that "if you have something to say, then say it". (His words -> 有話好好說) He says that films are meant to question things and there's never a real answer. Films are a way to share the questions. He says to share what you know, and when it's the truth, it's universal.

When he was asked what he thought was his best film, he answered "my next one". Your best film always has to be your next project.

Talking about Chungking Express, he says that the place defines the film. It embodies the essence of Hong Kong. It's not about the individual shots, but affirming where the film comes from.

Someone in the audience asked him what he thought of WKW's The Grandmaster, since he's collaborated with him on multiple occasions. His first response "a piece of shit". LOL. Then he went on a spiel about the years he's worked with WKW and how he never got paid enough, etc. (I left out a few expletives, but you get the point.) Anyway, he said that when he picks his projects, it's never about the script or the pay, it's about the relationships with the people he works with.

The last thing he mentioned was that "films are a balance of an arranged marriage and a chance encounter in a bar". I thought that sounded poetic.

Chris got pretty annoyed when all the questions asked by the audience were coming from men. It was a pretty hilarious Q&A session. I was happy to get a photo with him after the session ended. His staff were trying to usher him out, but when I asked for a photo he happily obliged. (Perhaps because I'm female? Hehe.) He also came with producer of Bends, Ken Hui, who he refers to as SuperKen. I hope they can bring the movie to screen in Toronto later this year.

Chris also has a gallery exhibit at the TIFF Lightbox called Away With Words. I didn't have time yesterday to see it, but I'll post more once I go.

Yuka

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jenny for your report!
Quite interesting. Mr. Doyle is funny Wink
Safran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Jenny, for reporting Very Happy !

Somehow he is a genius.....nevertheless it might be very hard to work with him in a team shaking .....I guess.
Jamaica

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenny, thanks for your fantastic report! I was online a few days ago, reading TIFF's page on their Chinese Cinema, and wishing, with sadness, that I didn't live so far away. I've never seen a Tony film on the big screen, so to miss A City of Sadness, Chungking Express, In the Mood for Love, Infernal Affairs and Hero (maybe one or two others - can't remember!), is quite frustrating. ( Not to mention so many other, wonderful non-Tony Chinese films. With TIFF's list though, I was able to snag a few titles to my Netflix list.) I'm really glad you're such a good reporter, we can live vicariously through you! Have fun!
yitian

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jenny for your interesting report on Chungking Express screening. Too bad that I am always too busy, and Toronto is so far away Crying or Very sad . It seems to me that Chris always appears to be half drunken Laughing - must be amusing to be at the Q&A (PS, did he speaking in Chinese Question ).

Good luck and enjoy many more movies + exhibitions Very Happy .
sparkles_n15

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad everyone enjoyed the report. Very Happy

Chris spoke in English during the entire session. There were only a couple times when he was thinking of ways to express his thoughts, that he said a few words in Chinese because he couldn't think of the English translation. He actually encouraged the audience to ask him questions in Chinese because it was easier for him.

Then again, I'm not sure if his profanity rolls out the same way in Chinese as it does in English?? Wink

The exhibit is on until August. If anyone is able to make their way to Toronto, I'd love to meet up. Already bought my tickets to watch Infernal Affairs!
Safran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks to Toronto, lucky Jenny Very Happy ( BTW: interesting question...regarding CD´s manner of expression - and if it rolls out similar in Engl. and Chinese ( doesn´t he speak Cantonese ? ) .... So simple Wink ....or really coarse Mad ? haha

Enjoy "Infernal Affairs" on the big screen ( 2 or 3 parts ? )....and the exhibition !
Jamaica

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris speaks both Cantonese and Mandarin. (I envy him!)
Safran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohhhh....impressive ! Surprised Thanks, Jamaica Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Random Thoughts All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: