TONYLEUNG.INFO
Discuss Tony Leung with fellow fans!

Welcome to the Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
  Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages   
Click here to go to Archival Tony Board (2003-2012)

Goldfinch Restaurant downs shutters after 53-year run

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Random Thoughts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yitian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject: Goldfinch Restaurant downs shutters after 53-year run Reply with quote

Goldfinch Restaurant downs shutters after glorious 53-year run
Sep 21, 2015 2:08pm

Wong Kar-wai’s movie “In the Mood of Love” starring Maggie Cheung and Tony Leung (inset) featured some scenes shot at Goldfinch Restaurant.

Goldfinch Restaurant in Causeway Bay downed its shutters on Sunday after serving food lovers in Hong Kong for 53 years.

Considered one of the first “Western Style” restaurants in Hong Kong, Goldfinch was considered to be a local icon with its dimly lit interiors, smoked mirrors and characteristic leather booths, Apple Daily noted.

The restaurant, which first opened its doors in 1962, also won some international fame, thanks to its appearances in director Wong Kar-wai’s movies “2046″ and “In the Mood of Love”.

Capitalizing on the exposure in the movies, the restaurant offered two eponymous set meals for lovers, and has since become a hotspot for tourists and local fans.

A manager who has been with the restaurant for four decades said the outlet was closing down for good. However, a cashier suggested that the restaurant was only halting operation for renovation, Apple Daily said.

The restaurant is now owned by four shareholders and it is believed that they decided to end the operation after having some disputes.

Chu Ying-leung, father of one of the shareholders Chu Yiu-tung, said they were in the frozen meat business and decided to join the restaurant as a shareholder in 2003, when another shareholder quit.

Commenting on rumors that shareholders could open a new Goldfinch restaurant, Chu said it would be a very difficult feat because of the high rents in Hong Kong.

Many Korean and mainland tourists patronized the restaurant on Sunday before it shut its operations. Many diners kept Goldfinch paper napkins as memorabilia.

Goldfinch was located on Lan Fong Road, where there are at least four vacated shops now.

EL/AC/RC
Tin-Yau

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sad. I wanted to go there on my next visit to HK. Crying or Very sad
yitian

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin-Yau wrote:
So sad. I wanted to go there on my next visit to HK. Crying or Very sad

Although I've never been in HK, I feel very sorry to hear this too Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad .
Tin-Yau

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already had plans ... ah well ... impermanence ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Random Thoughts All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: