TONYLEUNG.INFO
Discuss Tony Leung with fellow fans!

Welcome to the Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
  Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages   
Click here to go to Archival Tony Board (2003-2012)

Wong Kar-wai to Get Lifetime Honor at India's IFFI and MORE
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> The Latest Tony News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yitian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some entertaining pieces for our quiet forum Laughing

Watch: From governor of India to achche din, DD News anchor brings you IFFI live from Goa
http://www.firstpost.com/living/watch-dd-news-anchor-tells-iffi-goa-indicates-acche-din-agaye-1824397.html
by FP Staff Nov 27, 2014 15:10 IST

Who knew that International Film Festival in Goa actually meant PM Narendra Modi's magic has worked and 'achche din aa gaye'? Well, that's what a Doordarshan news anchor covering the IFFI tells you in a hilarious video. We would have believed her except for the fact that this was the 45th film festival.

Not just that, she also tells you because the festival shows 'the essence of films' that is why India will walk on the path of development. 'Isiliye to padhega bharat to badhega bharat,' she tells the viewers.

The video has gone viral on social media calling her the 'most stupid DD anchor.'

But, if you want to watch the IFFI coverage on TV, this may probably be the one video you should. It's so extensive that the anchor picks personalities walking into the festival to basically asks them, "Hello, how are you doing?"

The first delegate she picked, was well, Hong Kong actor Tony Leung. And, the anchor decided to ask him, "Do you like watching movies?"

But, at a point she decides to be really really honest. "I don't know much about films and 'stuffs' and if I can get to know, anybody can," she says. We didn't doubt that. Here, we are left to wonder does DD not hire film journalists? Or, actually, journalists?

Who would address the Goa Governor as the Governor of India? Clearly, she didn't even know who the Governor is, as she goes on to say, 'let's listen to HIS views', before Mridula Sinha walks before her and takes the microphone. We are not sure how Sinha may have felt about that.

This isn't the first time DD has made some major bloopers. In September, while anchoring the late night bulletin on DD News, a 'casual' anchor, pronounced Chinese President Xi Jinping's name as 'Eleven' Jinping, obviously confusing Xi with the Roman numerical for eleven. The anchor was then removed.

Watch the video. We promise you some entertainment.

YouTube link for the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ATco6nQoQ8
yitian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one is written in a really funny way Laughing Laughing Laughing

Dear Tony Leung, please don't think all Indian women are like that DD news anchor
http://www.firstpost.com/bollywood/dear-tony-leung-please-dont-think-indian-women-like-dd-news-anchor-1825047.html
by Deepanjana Pal Nov 27, 2014 19:53 IST

So this is what is supposed to happen when Tony Leung, who has successfully reduced women all over the world to a quivering mass of hormones, comes to India for the first time. He walks down an Indian street, turns — showing off the beautiful lines of his profile — bumps into me, is dazzled by my scintillating personality and sweeps me into his arms. Fade to black.

What isn't supposed to happen is this:
THE VIDEO LINK (see post above)

Lots of people are making fun of the young woman who, with all the wisdom in her bouffant-laden head, asked Leung, "Do you like watching movies?"

While this woman is clearly not the brightest spark, my problem with her isn't her choice of question. Frankly, if Leung appeared in front of me, in a tux, and looked deep into my eyes, I'd probably end up saying something like "Gong xi fa cai" (that's "happy new year" in Mandarin) or "Voulez vous couchez avec moi?" (which is an ABBA song and while I wax eloquent about my hormonal intentions, it is perhaps not the best opening question during a red-carpet interview).

The reason why this lady has shocked and appalled me is that she isn't ogling at Leung. Leung is 52. Let me repeat this for maximum effect. He is 52. In 20 years, since he caught the world's attention in Chungking Express, his hotness has not slid a notch in 20 years. Just for that the man deserves to be ogled at, but Our Lady of Perplexing Questions was entirely unmoved by the fact that the actor was within clutching distance. Her gaze doesn't even follow him when he walks away.

This complete lack of excitement in the Doordarshan anchor along with the question she posed to Leung makes it evident that this woman has never heard of the man. Evidently, this woman did nothing by way of research before showing up to do the red carpet show at the International Film Festival of India in Goa.

By research I don't mean looking up which films Leung has acted in. I'm not saying she should have watched Chungking Express, Happy Together, In the Mood for Love, Infernal Affairs, 2046, Hero and Lust, Caution. She doesn't need to know that he's been part of international film juries and received countless awards for his acting. I'm just saying she should have noticed that in the swarm of moustachioed and pot bellied men in the IFFI guest list, there was just one face that gleamed with elegant sex appeal: Leung's.

Which brings me to the conclusion that Bollywood has destroyed the average Indian women's aesthetics. Remember those famous scenes from The Clockwork Orange, in which Alex's eyes are forced open and he's bombarded with violent images to make him averse to violence? Bollywood has done something similar to us. We've had unnaturally buff men thrown at us relentlessly so that we become immune to men who don't look like blow-up dolls. We've had to sit in theatres and see torsos that look like they've been inflated with a bicycle pump, magnified to fill the expanse of a cinema screen. There has been no respite and now, here's the fallout. A woman stands next to Tony Leung and is unmoved.

Is it a coincidence that of late there's been a drop in population growth in the last decade in Mumbai, the Indian Mecca of Muscle and Movies? I think not. If all you see fetishised in the media around you are the buff, Bollywood bods, then obviously sexual activity will descend to catatonic levels. The men, pumped with the steroids necessary to get that puffed-up look, will have (ahem) plumbing issues, thanks to the chemicals in their blood stream. The women have been brainwashed into thinking that Bollywood male stereotype is sexy, thereby losing the ability to spot and respond to the genuinely sexy. Case in point: Ms Doordarshan, who did not attempt to rip the tuxedo off Tony Leung when he walked up to her. It does, however, say something about where we're at culturally that her molesting Leung would probably have been less embarrassing than her asking him if he likes watching movies.

The unpalatable truth is this dolt woman has gone and ruined it for all of us Indian women by making an exhibition of not just her foolishness but also her appalling lack of taste. Now Tony Leung is going to think we're all like her — unaffected by his loveliness, unaware of his life's work and uncaring of how well wears that tuxedo. Oh the shame...!

I'm going to go and watch Chungking Express and In the Mood for Love back to back to soothe the burning agony that Miss Doordarshan has caused in me. I'd advise the young woman in question to do the same.

Last edited by yitian on Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tin-Yau

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing, Yitian!
When I first saw this interview, I was shaking my head ... I haven`t stopped.
Brick wall
Stiff upper lip and let`s get it over with.
yitian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess Tony has seen countless similar incidents, when people don't take their job seriously. I admire Tony replied "of cause, of cause" in such a sincere way Very Happy .
Actually this kind of awkward situation happens everywhere, in every profession. Vast majority of these events go on undetected by people in general. However, it's another story when an event was recorded and made available on YouTube, for people in the whole world to see...... Shocked .
In The Mood For Leung

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks yitian and ham for the photos and articles Smile

They should have given a lifetime achievement award to TL as well. He and WKW pretty much started out together and their relationship is almost symbiotic. But more than that- for TL's own artistic merits.
Safran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks yitian, for posting that humorous statement/reply from an
Indian Tony fan, here Laughing (The performance of that female news anchor at the IFFI opening was doubtlessly embarrassing in my view Embarassed ) How Tony handles with gentle grandeur is admirable ! thumbright

Last edited by Safran on Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:40 am; edited 5 times in total
Safran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks yitian, for posting that humorous statement/reply from an
Indian Tony fan, here :lol: (The performance of that female IFFI- ancor was
doubtlessly embarrassing in my view :oops: )

Sorry.....I do not manage to remove !? :cry:
Jamaica

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff! Loved the photos and seeing Team Wong supporting Mr. Wong. Loved that article, too! Had the same thoughts recently over the reception of the younger generation to a Korean actor, who like Tony, is of a more natural attractiveness - genuinely sexy, and it was completely lost on them because of this idea of what sexy men are supposed to look like. Oh well, it's their loss!

Tony, being an actor as long as he has, is used to such dopey questions. Most entertainment journalism is anything but journalism. I've heard equally brainless questions asked on the Academy Awards red carpet every year. It's pathetic.
yitian

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wong Kar-wai dedicates Lifetime Achievement award to wife
Press Trust of India | Panaji
November 30, 2014 Last Updated at 19:20 IST
http://www.business-standard.com/article/pti-stories/wong-kar-wai-dedicates-lifetime-achievement-award-to-wife-114113000562_1.html

Celebrated Hong Kong filmmaker Wong Kar-wai, who was honoured with the prestigious Lifetime Achievement award at the concluding day of IFFI today, dedicated the award to his wife Chan Ye-cheng.

"I would like to share this honour with my wonderful wife who is with me tonight in Goa. You are my biggest achievement in life. Thank You," said Kar-wai, after receiving the award at the grand closing ceremony here as Ye-cheng looked on.

Kar-wai, 56, known for his films like 'In the Mood for Love', 'Ashes of Time' and 'Chungking Express', said he got his first knowledge of cinema from his mother, who introduced him to the new wave French cinema.

His latest film 'The Grandmaster' brought the curtains down on the eleven-day-long festival.

"I am really humbled. I am lucky that 'The Grandmaster' is the closing film of the festival. As far as the award tonight, this is as much as an honour as a surprise because it comes a little bit early. I hope this is not the sign for me to retire," he said on a light note.

The director thanked the festival organisers on behalf of other filmmakers in China, the focus country at IFFI this year.

"I would like to take this opportunity on behalf of my peers in China to thank the festival and the wonderful audience here for their hospitality and support towards Chinese cinema. It is great to be here in India to celebrate cinema with all of you," he added.
yitian

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin-Yau

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing yitian!
Well deserved! Applause
yitian

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YouTube link for the closing ceremony of the 45th IFFI 2014
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO1wMPaq2YI

WKW is honored from 35'35" to 45'45" of the video Very Happy .
Safran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulation to Master Wong Kar wai ! Applause Applause

Many thanks to our "Tony-news Scout" yitian, for speedy posting
actual reports, pics and video-links from IFFI Computer flower Waving
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> The Latest Tony News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: