TONYLEUNG.INFO
Discuss Tony Leung with fellow fans!

Welcome to the Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
  Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages   
Click here to go to Archival Tony Board (2003-2012)

Anita Mui: Remembering a Cantopop Star

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> The Latest Tony News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tin-Yau

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:31 am    Post subject: Anita Mui: Remembering a Cantopop Star Reply with quote

News or old news?

http://blogs.wsj.com/scene/2013/12/27/hong-kong-remembers-anita-mui/

Cool

December 27, 2013, 8:03 AM
Anita Mui: Remembering a Cantopop Star
By Joyu Wang

When Cantopop star Anita Mui Yim-fong died from cancer a decade ago, her obituary dominated headlines in Hong Kong. Now, a series of events are commemorating the singer, who sold millions of records and performed tirelessly until her death at the age of 40.

Embodying her home city’s philosophy of working hard to build a career from scratch, Ms. Mui first shot to fame in 1982 after winning a singing award for new talent in Hong Kong. She went on to make more than 30 albums and give a total of 292 live concerts in her career – still a record for a Chinese female singer.

In addition to her singing career, Ms. Mui starred in more than 40 movies, including the 1988 film “Rouge.” Co-starring fellow Cantopop star and actor Leslie Cheung Kwok-wing, the movie won her best-actress prizes at some of Asia’s most influential film festivals, including Taiwan’s Golden Horse Awards, the Hong Kong Film Awards and the Asia-Pacific Film Festival.

This year marks the 10th anniversary of the deaths of both Ms. Mui and Mr. Cheung, who committed suicide by jumping from Hong Kong’s Mandarin Oriental Hotel on April 1, 2003, at the height of the city’s SARS crisis. Ms. Mui died from cervical cancer that December.

According to filmmaker and TV host Eric Tsang Chi-wai, who is organizing a memorial concert for Ms. Mui on Dec. 30 along with singer Jacky Cheung Hok-yau, it was a tribute event to Mr. Cheung in early April that inspired them to commemorate Ms. Mui with a show.

“Anita has always been the daughter of Hong Kong,” Mr. Tsang told the Journal. “We have never forgotten her and her spirit in the past 10 years.”

The concert will take place at Hong Kong’s harborside convention center, but organizers declined to disclose a list of performers and attendees. Mr. Tsang did say, however, that they would give “priority to Anita’s good friends who’ve spent time with her in the past.”

One performer who may be on the lineup is Tony Leung Chiu-wai, who indicated this month at a press conference that he would be up for performing if invited. “I knew [Anita Mui] for a long time. I miss everything about her,” he said. “It’s really up to Jacky [Cheung, the concert organizer]—I’d need to pick up singing again if he asks me to sing a song.”

Mr. Leung collaborated with Ms. Mui while she was alive, performing a duet with the singer at a Hong Kong charity show in 1995.

Other memorial events for Ms. Mui are already taking place in the city. At the Hong Kong Heritage Museum, for instance, pioneering local fashion designer Eddie Lau is the subject of a retrospective of his work that includes more than 70 of his designs. Among them, some 20 are costumes that were worn by Ms. Mui on stage.

Mr. Lau, who has worked in Hong Kong’s fashion industry for more than 50 years, is the man behind some of Ms. Mui’s best-known looks, designing them to be performed with particular songs. The pair collaborated closely for more than two decades, and their bond moved him to push back his museum exhibition by a year, to coincide with 10 years after Ms. Mui’s death.

“We were like brother and sister,” said Mr. Lau. “She really trusted me.”

Both had difficult childhoods, a factor that brought two closer together.

“I was abandoned by my family and forced to be an apprentice since 11,” Mr. Lau said. “Anita also had to work very hard in order to earn a living when she was very young. Both of us didn’t have a childhood or adolescence at all, which meant we had to be perfect at our jobs.”

Mr. Lau remembers Ms. Mui at her final concert, a month before her death, in which she sang the melancholic “Song of Sunset” while wearing a wedding gown she had asked him to design for her.

“She wanted to be married to the stage,” he said. “It’s such a sad thing to see a woman with her wedding gown all by herself. She was so perfect—but without having a true love.”

ANITA MUI MEMORIAL EVENTS IN HONG KONG:

Anita Mui Memorial Concert, Hong Kong Exhibition and Convention Center, 1 Expo Drive, Wan Chai. Starts 8:15 p.m on Dec. 30, black dress code required. Tickets available at the time of publishing cost $HK680. The concert will be also be live-streamed on cable TV, radio and at an outdoor screen at Harbor City, 3 – 27 Canton Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon.

“Fashion.Image.Eddie Lau,“ Hong Kong Heritage Museum, 1 Man Lam Rd., Sha Tin. The exhibition runs through Jan. 13, 2014. Tickets are HK$10.

“Stand By Me”: Anita Mui 10th Anniversary Exhibition, at Dragon Center, 37 K, Yen Chow St., Sham Shui Po, Kowloon. The exhibition runs through Jan. 2, 2014. Free admission.

Anita Mui 10th Anniversary Encore Charity Band Show, Music Zone @ Kowloon Bay International Trade & Exhibition Center, 1 Trademart Drive, Kowloon Bay, Kowloon. Starts at 8 p.m. on Dec. 27. Tickets are $HK380.

“Legend of Mui,” Fringe Club Underground Theater, 2 Lower Albert Rd., Central. Three performances: 7:30 p.m. on Dec. 27; 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. on Dec. 28. Tickets are $HK120.
yitian

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the news Very Happy - it is new. The concert is tomorrow, Tony will attend (I heard ) Singing . Let's hope.
Safran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the good news , Heike and Yitian Very Happy
I'm looking forward to seeing / listening dear Tony Singing Applause
Tin-Yau

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately ... I have to work, late shift. Sad
All of you who can, enjoy!
nancix**

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I came back Japan for my father, Because This year's October,Father went to hospital in an ambulance for high heat,and lost weight in hospital's life of 3 months. He moved to A rehabilitation facility at this month.
From 29th to 2nd Jan. 2014, I need to stay in Japan, and Helping my father.
But Tonight, I could to watch live video at Hong Kong's Radio station.
I love Anita's many songs, and I enjoyed to "Song God" Jacky Cheung and other singer's songs and Tony's Performance! Razz
I Really love Tony's singing voice!!!!!
Thanks Tony, Thanks Jacky and many stuff!! I need not weep now.
I remember to Anita Mui, I met to her at after UFO party to HongKong film awards 1997, (After release "Who's the Woman, Who's the Man"!). There was something big‐sisterly about Anita...I never forget Anita helped for Tony and Carina always...
nancix**

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://youtu.be/Lj1_sxUWnxo
Please watch this movie file hastily. This file may be turned off quickly...

Last edited by nancix** on Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tony Grrl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony has still got it. I wish he would sing much more. Had to believe Anita has been gone 10 years. Sad

TLCW Fan UK
Safran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for speedy posting the Tony - you
Tube link Singing thumbleft
Tin-Yau

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nancix** wrote:

Thanks a lot Nancy! This brightens my after work mood! Dancing

Grrreat job Tony! thumbright
yitian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nancix** wrote:
Please watch this movie file hastily. This file may be turned off.[/url]

Thanks for the video link.
Tony is Grrrrrreat, so touching love Singing .

Some pics from the concert

MORE

yitian

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EVEN MORE

Safran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pics !...Thank you for sharing, yitian. flower Applause
EmmaPatrasü

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saw the vids and pics,.
so touching indeed.
thank you all for sharing!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> The Latest Tony News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: