TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

2012 - The Silent War
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yitian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject:

Haven't found these pix before, thanks Ham Very Happy . Particularly like his translucent eye in the last pic - heard something special Question Wink
Jamaica

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Review: All Static and No Message

http://twitchfilm.com/reviews/2012/08/review-the-silent-war-is-all-static-no-message.php

Shanghai, 1949. With the Japanese defeated, the Chinese civil war is heating up. The Chinese Communist Party has gained plenty of ground in rural parts of the country, but the Kuomintang stills cling to a number of urban strongholds. CPC Intelligence knows that the key to taking down the KMT is in tapping into their communication channels, but so far they have been unsuccessful. Special Agent Zhang Xue Ning aka "200" (Zhou Xun) is assigned with bringing in a renowned piano tuner to apply his fine ear to their radio frequencies, but she quickly discovers the real talent lies with his assistant, the blind He Bing (Tony Leung Chiu Wai), whose hearing is greatly heightened by his lack of sight. Bing is brought into the invisible 701 Unit and proves a resounding success, but his relationship with Xue Ning gets complicated and the strains of living in a country at war with itself begins to take its toll on all involved.

Writer-directors Alan Mak and Felix Chong have been enjoying a decent run of form, with Overheard, The Lost Bladesman and then Overheard 2 putting to rest initial doubts that the pair couldn't match the critical or commercial success of their Infernal Affairs trilogy. The Silent War marks their first foray into the enduringly popular sub-genre of the Mainland period political thriller, and reunites them with leading man Tony Leung. The film is adapted from the novel Plot Against by Chinese author Mai Xia, whose work also inspired Chen Kuo-Fu's 2009 film The Message, also starring Zhou Xun. However, while the Overheard films succeeded in turning surveillance into tense drama, and The Message made you care about characters who performed similar tasks for the CPC, The Silent War largely fails to recapture either of these essential elements.

It is easy to see why Tony Leung was attracted to the role of He Bing. Filmed during one of the many production breaks of Wong Kar Wai's still unfinished The Grandmasters, the role isn't at all physically demanding, and often demands little more of Leung than to sit at a desk twiddling radio knobs. His character never engages the enemy directly, nor does he have any dramatic scenes of emotional grandstanding. In truth, He Bing is not a particularly heroic or even likeable character. Raised in modest surroundings by his mother, he is plucked from obscurity to serve his country, which he does without too much persuasion. He has an odd sense of humour and a somewhat abrasive manner, which is often grating rather than charming, which appears to be the intended response. Performing for most of the film behind dark glasses or milky white contacts, Leung struggles to make Bing sympathetic, despite the actor's own inherently amiable personality.

As a result, the film's heroics fall to Zhou Xun, who acquits herself admirably in a sadly underwritten role. Xue Ning is above all else a Secret Service agent, proudly throwing herself in harm's way for love of her country, and on more than one occasion she must defend He Bing in hand-to-hand combat. Xue Ning must also work deep undercover when the mission demands, while juggling an are they/aren't they relationship with Intelligence director Guo aka "Devil" (Wang Xue Bing), and also her growing feelings for Bing. Zhou is easily the best thing in the film, and impresses in equal measure whether turning heads at a glamorous Shanghai function, or engaging in high-stakes mind games with the enemy round a mah jong table. It is a shame that the film isn't more focused on her exploits, by turn heroic and tragic, as Xue Ning makes a far more interesting subject than poor He Bing.

Mak and Chong clearly recognise that many of their film's most dramatic elements occur over the airwaves, with their hero sat on his own in a padded room, and ramp up the flashy editorial tics to give the audience some indication that exciting stuff is happening. They employ one particularly successful visual motif of flickering stenographers appearing and disappearing from the frame as Bing scours the airwaves for their transmission, but even when these devices work, there is no escaping the fact they are compensating for a lack of genuine onscreen tension. At the centre of The Silent War is a love quadrangle between Bing, Xue Ning, Director Guo and the unassuming Shen Jing (Mavis Fan), whose potentially fascinating backstory is quickly brushed aside and she is instead presented as a more down-to-earth love interest for Bing. Sadly, little drama is wrung from the romantic gridlock between these characters, as the film really seems committed to focussing on Bing's relationship with his radio.

The larger theme of the film is clearly that there is no greater love than for one's country, and the emotional yearnings and heartbreaks of the individual matter not at all when your homeland is on the brink of self-destruction. For much of The Silent War, I was thankful that the political ramifications of what was happening onscreen were largely left unspoken, in favour of telling (however poorly) a straightforward counter-espionage thriller, in which the heroes and villains could really have hailed from anywhere. That all goes out the window in the film's big finale, however, as the funeral of one of the film's major characters is intercut with an assassination attempt on the head of the PLA, during a speech of shameless rousing nationalism. As if they could hold it back no longer, the screen is suddenly awash with flags, starred uniforms and vast processions of precision grieving.

The Silent War must be considered a step back for Alan Mak and Felix Chong, regardless of how well it performs at the Mainland box office. Technically the film is a slick and accomplished, yet soulless, exercise that largely squanders its big name cast and potential for palm-sweating spy-based thrills in favour of good lighting and not much else. Hopefully this production was simply "one for them", after which Mak and Chong can return their focus to present day Hong Kong and continue making exciting dramas about our current socio-economic climate, or crime thrillers, or even tackle a comedy (as Chong proved capable of with Once A Gangster), because The Silent War is mostly just dead air - bland, uninspired and instantly forgettable.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject:

Jamaica

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the new images, Ham! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Review: All Static and No Message

[quote="Jamaica"]http://twitchfilm.com/reviews/2012/08/review-the-silent-war-is-all-static-no-message.php

"It is easy to see why Tony Leung was attracted to the role of He Bing. Filmed during one of the many production breaks of Wong Kar Wai's still unfinished The Grandmasters, the role isn't at all physically demanding, and often demands little more of Leung than to sit at a desk twiddling radio knobs."

It is easy to see why the author is a writer or a blogger and not an actor. Razz
TL himself has said that playing a blind role is technically/methodically challenging. Obviously, the reviewer is ignorant of the techniques an actor employs to compensate for the constraints of his role.
I think he is very naive to suggest that the weight of a movie role is based on its physical demands.

Thanks Jamaica and hamberger Smile
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject:

Smile to criticize is always more easy than to appreciate ~
Jamaica

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:09 am    Post subject:

To destroy is easier than to create.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject:

The Silent War Main Theme Music (MV edited by 荣蜜暖暖)
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDM4NTAyNzIw.html

Last edited by yitian on Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
nancix**

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject:

THX a lot, hamberger362!! Very Happy
I don't understand in why, I love the figure in which Tony wore classic style glasses so much. Japanese call "Lloyd glasses".
Harold Clayton Lloyd is a famous film comedian, but Tony isn't like the comedian, like an intellectual or a creative thinker Very Happy

And yitian, THAX a lot! I love this Main Theme Music.
That composer Comfort Chan("Infernal Affair"series, "Confession of Pain") challenge many category's music of every time. This time, he composed like Russian music, stirring military music, e.t.c. But I most love this pathetic ballad.
Many Chinese career soldier don't show his(her) feeling, But only Tony don't disguise his sorrow... Crying or Very sad Because he don't the super Hero, He is a civilian, and He is a flesh-and-blood character.
In general, Japanese don't like crying man, but I love this movie's crying Tony....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject:

Thank you dear fellow fans for posting the stills and the "article" of "The Silent War". No matter if it is said to be a "good movie" or not so succeeded....."Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"....and I´m convinced you´ll find (and hopefully post also) - the positive critics/reviews, regarding our idol´s performance.
Has anybody else of you Asian fellow fans already watched the movie ? what´s your opinion ?
I do not know if we westeners will ever get the chance to see this probably China focused film in our cinemas ?? (guess, we will have to wait for the release of a DVD with Engl. subt.)

Special thanks to you Tony, for your attentive taking part - here ....and I really hope this arrogant critic/article doesn´t harm you in any way. We fans always appreciate your work ! Wink Very Happy
yitian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject:

Pix @ Box Office Celebration Very Happy

francisc4

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject:

Hi Helga,

yesterday nite i've just finished watching "The Silent War" with HK fans at Langham Place. and i think its really interesting... i really like Tony's characters in the movies as a blind man who uses his extraordinary good hearing to his advantage and falling in love with Zhou Xun his mentor. And the most important things is... he really can make us laugh and cry in that movie. Very Happy

BTW I also love to see all the costumes of all the actors n actress, its really vintage and classic. And the posters are also very good. Two thumbs up !!! thumbleft

I hope I can watch the mandarin version in Shenzhen by tomorrow. Since I know that it won't be released in Indonesia.. Sad

Fyi today I attended The Silent War event in GZ with HK fans and GZ fans.. Feels so happy to see Tony again, although I don't have a chance to talk to him. love

I know that he's still very busy with the "never ending story". Hope it will be finished soon.. so he can have a good rest n holiday... Pray
yitian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject:

Nice to read your viewing report, thanks Cisca thumbright
Really envy your opportunities to be able to watch the movie (in both Cantonese and Mandarin) and attend GZ box office celebration event Drool Drool
Based on my readings of various websites from China, I know this is an unusual spy movie with interesting twists, and both Tony and Zhou Xun gave superb performances love
Waiting for DVD to be released.

PS, did you catch this moment Cisca? Laughing Laughing
Safran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject:

Hi Cisca, you lucky girl ! Very Happy
Thank you very much for your friendly reporting us .....I´m very glad for all of you ( and a little bit envious Wink ) cheers
Dearest greetings.....have a great time ....and: Enjoy !

Thank you for the pics , Yitian thumbleft
"Superb performances" - That sounds well ! Applause
yitian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject:

"Making Of" special - music
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDM5MTUwNDM2.html
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Movies All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: