TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

Tony and Maggie to star in Singapore historical film
Goto page Previous  1, 2

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> The Latest Tony News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jamaica

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:41 am    Post subject:

Actually, I've been thinking of just such things - the Chinese in American history (for my neck of the woods, of course. Smile )

They were instrumental in building the transcontinental railroad, were miners in the West, as well as business owners. There was a film made around 1993 called "The Ballad of Little Jo," based on true stories that came out the American western frontier. In this particular film, Jo, a 19th century Boston society girl gets involved with an artist, and gets pregnant. She is made by her family, to give up the baby to her married sister to raise, and Jo is disowned (or at least leaves home of her own accord and heads west.)

Over time she learns, for her own survival, to dress and act as a man, and so she settles near a mining town, does odd jobs, eventually gets a steady job, and is able to buy an isolated ranch where she lives out her life. By chance, she's put in the position of having to save the life of a Chinese man who had the misfortune of wandering into that mining town, where he was about to be hanged by the racist citizens. Jo intervenes, but in order to save the man's life, she must hire him to do work on her ranch. She resists, because, of course, she can't let it be known she's a woman, and having someone else living at her ranch would make keeping her identity a lot more difficult, but she brings him home, anyway. Eventually he does figure out her secret and they become quite a pair - a secret pair, and their bond is even stronger than normal, because they are both outcasts.

An interesting, and kind of unexpected place to find a Chinese character, and yet, really, probably far more likely to have occurred, than traditional American history ever taught those of us who live here. So yeah, I'm keeping my eyes open and ears out for any stories we could toss Tony's way!

And yeah! I'd love to see Tony doing some films by European film makers. That would be great! Right now, with the bad economy, Hollywood's taking no risks, whatsoever. I'd rather Tony do an American indie film, anyway, if he made a film, here....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:42 am    Post subject:

Dear fellow fans -

I always thought so too - and wished myself much more cooperations...movies and appearances.....more recognition of our idol here in the west.
On the other hand: These are our wishes only.

I guess he is happy as it is ! He has a millions-audience in China and all Asia - in his own culture.......and has fans allover the world.
As very famous actor he probably enjoys his "freedom by success" -to decide which script he is interested in -or not.........
And: No more need to "sell" himself anywhere-anymore ( in "overseas" he unfortunately would have to !)
He works "for passion and not for critics or money" (his very own words).
In my opinion - Tony would loose too much - personally and as artist.
(hope I could transport, what I wanted to express)

Curious about your comment Wink
Helga
Jamaica

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:36 am    Post subject:

It's not so much recognition, in the form of fame, that I'm talking about, but respect that will get filmmakers interested in casting Tony in roles, whether they are Asian-specific or not. I'm not the least bit interested in seeing him become more famous, and doing a "Transporters" movie. Laughing I am interested in seeing that he gets to work with some of the best in American cinema, Scorsese, for instance, for whom Tony has expressed interest in a collaboration. (And that pretty much means, only about 15 people will even see the film, anyway. Laughing Scorsese might be famous, but his films are not seen like Spielberg's are). Working with the best, can only be satisfying to him as an actor, and to us as people who appreciate a great actor. Also, working in new places, that are culturally different, might give him a character he'd never see in Asian cinema. What's the point of being an actor, if you're going to play the same thing over and over? This isn't about fame, at all, it's about finding fuel for Tony's creativity. Just because a movie is made in America doesn't mean it's going to bad, cheap, or automatically a blockbuster. God knows Scorsese's work doesn't fit into any of those categories.... If Tony wasn't interested, though, I wouldn't care about this as much.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:25 am    Post subject:

Dear Helga,

Of course our idol is happy as he is! I'm not at all overestimating our "influence". But a fan can always fantasise and be creative...like a lot of members in the My Dream topic do, of did in the long history of this forum...

Our idol is still developing in his personality, will go on doing this, and wishes to meet new challenges. A very wise and mature person does so to stay satified in whatever job one has. In his wish to become a producer he is anticipating on times less interesting leads will be offered to him, no doubt. I'm sure this point will be decades away in the case of a great actor like Tony. He can be picky...

Making plans for the future is often a dissatisfying exercise, because circumstances alter all the time...
In the end it all depends on what comes in your path....one can influence this path by being (self)creative. I strongly belief in that...
"Being happy as he is" is therefor a very relative remark now I come to think of it.

With love,

Zeefje
Safran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:46 am    Post subject:

Hey Jamaica and José -

Thanks for your answers/points of view !

I guess Tony himself knows best what to do..... Wink ......which new challenges to meet - or not. Noting to worry about - Take it easy guys Smile
(BTW: I did not say "Being happy as he is ")

Helga
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> The Latest Tony News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: