TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

Dear Japanese friends
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Get to know each other
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eri

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:32 am    Post subject:

Thank you everyone for your concern.

I know some of the media are too sensationalistic as nancix mentioned, however it is also true that Japanese media like TV are not taking this situation seriously enough as foreign media. In a way, Japanese media including the government toned down the Nuclear plant accident too much and not giving enough information about seriousness of the disaster and how to protect ourselves.

They said it was level 5 at first, then 6, and now it is 7 which is the highest level.

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20110412x1.html

We shouldn't panic but it is very important to get correct information earlier for making decision about evacuation and safety especially for small children. The people in Fukushima should have been given more caution to be on the safe side.
So I personally think the best thing we can do is not rely on TV and get enough information from different sources then find out which is the true and useful information. In that sense, I was helped by foreign media quite a lot.
Safran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:56 am    Post subject:

Dear Eri - and all of you

I think to inform yourself from various serious sources, is the best you can do, to see behind the curtain.

Crisis management might be very difficult in the first days after the immense shock, loss of thousands, emergency aid, first responder and supporting measures ....for the most concerned victims - and help will be
necessary for a long time probably.
BUT now it is high time for polititians to show more professional competence. This terrible catastrophy is too serious and painful, to apologize politicians and medias..... for harmonizing, trivializing, minimizing......further on.
Though I know this is not "Japanese style" and menthality at all, but for a sustainable change you´ll have to organize yourself, solidarise, demonstate and protest peacefully - even on the streets.
When- if not now ?! Who - if not you ?!
(According to medias a few people already tried, but this will not be strong enough for a lasting change)

Please apologize my "western frankness and spirit" - Not on any terms I wanted to hurt anybody of you with my lines - I am simply concerned about you dear Japanese friends, your future and your unique island I love !
Helga
Yuka

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:32 am    Post subject:

Hi everyone,

As Eri and nancix wrote, I’m surprised to find some foreign media’s news and articles sensational, too,
using wrong data and totally irrelevant or misleading footages.
Some of them even can’t describe correctly where Fukushima is……
I’m not saying national media are all neutral or objective.
But it’s important to know where those media stand and what’s stance they (including a country) have toward energy policy etc.

Part of my job now is monitoring (and actually communicating with them) what 3rd party organizations (ex.research ,academic,legal ,
environmental and medical institutions etc.) in and out of Japan .( mainly in industrial point of view at the moment ).
I found some of them very objective, but the standard level or units used in comparison are very different in each country …
Japan has very high /strict regulation standard among many countries ...
so it’s very important not to believe instantly from what you can easily have access to like TV, newspapers, blog and twitter etc etc..
It’s like writing a guidebook on a country where you’ve never been before by only collecting information from internet, not by travelling by yourself. It’s important to have different measures or sources to analyze and judge what really is the truth (or something almost close to the truth. )
But I also understand not so many people can have access to all the information which they should.

Hi cisca,
I’ve been in and out of Tokyo on business trips for a while. On Thursday, I was on my way home on subway when quake struck.
Train stopped automatically . It was almost around midnight. I thought OMG I’m going to spend a night here in underground..
but I had a suite case with me , so I thought I could live here for a while. Ha ha.
Fortunately , train started to run in a minute.…
Here in Tokyo, we have several quakes a day which make me jump and hide under the desk…
I’m so accustomed to this situation, so I can react so quickly now… haha …

Hi Helga,
Why do you have to apologize? Your presence saves my soul.

Cherry blossom is now in full bloom here in Tokyo. I enjoyed hanami and sushi in Ginza tonight.
I know it’s still Tuesday… I need to treat myself .. !

Have a nice Tuesday or Wednesday everyone !
Safran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject:

Dear Eri and Yuko !

Reading your prudent and balanced opinions, I am very optimistic and feel reassured - for a positive course : )
(Hope the majority of your fellow-citizens is as well-informed and critical as you )
BTW: Nevertheless I would be wary eating tomatoes or strawberries from Ikawi at the moment - even so they look very appetizing ; )

Have a nice week - hopefully without more frightening earthquakes or other bad news.

There is but one hanami a year - so enjoy dear friends !
Helga, this time more calmly ; )
Eri

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject:

Thanks again Helga,

We still have to be careful about the situation for at least a few month, but also our life have to be continued as usual as possible in not directly affected areas. I traveled to a tourist destination in my area last weekend and found out massive reduction in number of foreign tourists. When I visited one Japanese Restaurant which was always very popular among foreign tourists, the owner said "We usually have about 100 foreign visitors every day in this season, but this year hardly had anyone outside Japan since 3.11, but it is understandable. I wouldn't have traveled to Japan if I were a tourist from abroad. We all have to pay the price. I just hope they stop the radiation leak as soon as possible and make sure the food sold in Japan are absolutely safe".

Dear Yuka,
It must be very hard to do your job at the moment, specially if it is mainly in industrial point of view when most of us outside the main industries see things in humanity's. (Economy comes second, not the first priority)
I personally think "Japan had very high /strict regulation standard among many countries" as you mentioned in the past, but now this had been loosened in emergency and this was the biggest mistake for Japan. Once we throw away the reputation, it is very hard to regain. The government should have sticked to the strict regulation just to keep Japanese reputation for safety even after the accident.
Unfortunately, Japanese safety dogma already collapsed by showing no one can control the Nuclear plant which supposed to be safe at any circumstances and also by not giving correct information when we most needed.
I am sure majority of Japanese wants to change energy policy in the future which has been promoted by major industries as soon as possible.
Safran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject:

PS - I forgot to mention
Despite everything:
Given the chance, I wouldn´t hesitate to travel to Japan - better sooner than later :)
Helga
Eri

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:52 am    Post subject:

Dear Helga,

Thanks for your support. I am sure we are going to see you in Japan again when things are settled down. Wink
Yuka

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject:

Hi Helga,
Hope to see you soooooon again !! Very Happy
In The Mood For Leung

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject:

Japan is the Land of the Rising Sun.
Japan will rise again!

Continued prayers and well wishes for the Japanese people...
specially for our Japanese friends in this forum.

Keep the faith.
Eri

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject:

Thank you Joe and Everyone here for kind concern again.

Recently, I've read this article, and hoping this improve the situation in Fukushima. Although people there still have to be working on repairing cooling system, another problem of contaminated water might be solved with this.
It is a good news. Very Happy

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20110420a2.html
Safran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject:

Hi Eri !

This could be a brilliant invention - for simillar problems allover the world also ! - A nominee for "Nobel Prize" !
(Even though - quote : "The substances used in the tests were not radioactive" - is a bit confusing )
I really hope for you it works - for a sustainable solution of this immense problem. (In such a case/crisis every serious try is welcome and has its legitimation - in my opinion)
To success !
You are often on my mind, dear Japanese friends - wishing you and your beautiful country all the best !
Smile Helga
Safran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject:

Dear Easter Greetings from Austria - to all of you !

Hope you Japanese friends are fine and the process of normalization makes good progress.

Best wishes
Helga
Kiki

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:26 am    Post subject: Thank you for your kindness

Dear Safran and the fellow Tony's fan

Let me share this video with you to express our gratitude.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dv3915MOrg

(If you cannot access, search Spaceship "The Earth" in youtube.)

Although we are annoyed with the government's action Mad , it seems that a whole Japan is heading for the future.... Very Happy
Safran

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject:

.........and already 2 month since 3/11

In thoughts still with you dear Japanese friends - profoundly convinced you manage the difficulties well ! thumbleft

From Austria with Love Waving
Helga
Safran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:11 am    Post subject:

Hope you dear Japanese friends and fellow fans are well and fine. Smile
Please handle the situation (radiation) carefully further on.

I guess you´ll have a lot of other things on your mind in these times - nevertheless I/we really miss you here Sad

Best Regards - and take care ! Waving
Helga
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Get to know each other All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: