TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

The Grandmasters
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yitian

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject:

Finally, I saw the trailer with English subtitles!!! Very Happy

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzMxNTI1MDQ4.html
yitian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Film Business Asia on Estimated "The Grandmasters'&

Jamaica wrote:
Yu confirmed that Wong Kar-wai's long awaited The Grandmasters, once scheduled to be part of this year's Christmas crush, is still some months away from being ready. "It will be released some time between next summer and Christmas 2012.

Another year?! Sad
I hope to see it entering the 2012 Cannes International Film Festival.
Jamaica

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject:

http://twitchfilm.com/news/2012/01/tony-leung-and-donnie-yen-talk-about-the-grandmasters.php

TONY LEUNG AND DONNIE YEN TALK ABOUT THE GRANDMASTERS

by Hugo Ozman, January 12, 2012 6:08 PM

ACTION, ASIA, DRAMA
Wong Kar Wai's take on the story of Wing Chun grandmaster Ip Man, THE GRANDMASTERS, has appeared in many film critics' lists of most anticipated films of 2012. But the question is: are we really going to get to see the film in 2012?

It has been a long time (or 'forever') in the making, but the latest reports from Hong Kong seem to suggest that the answer to the above question is probably 'yes'.

The film's main actor Tony Leung Chiu Wai confirmed during promotion of his new film THE GREAT MAGICIAN that THE GRANDMASTERS is now 'close to completion'. Presumably this is by normal standards and not WKW's, which means it may be a matter of months, and not years, before the film is completed.

Another report stated that Wong Kar Wai has asked Tony Leung to reshoot some of the scenes, and that he intends to get the film ready for a film festival. The report did not specify which film festival, but my guess is that it will be Cannes Film Festival. Wong's films have traditionally done well at Cannes, having been nominated for the Palme d'Or on four occasions (HAPPY TOGETHER, IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE, 2046 and MY BLUEBERRY NIGHTS), and won best director for HAPPY TOGETHER in 1997. If this is the case, then Wong will be very motivated to get the film done over the next few months because it is now not that long till May.

By the way, Donnie Yen, who talked about the possibility of making IP MAN 3 recently, has said in another interview that he will not wait till THE GRANDMASTERS is released before he makes another Ip Man film, because he has been thinking about it and will start filming as soon as he has the time and opportunity.

Now, I am really interested to find out: THE GRANDMASTERS or IP MAN 3, which one do you want to see more?

3 COMMENTS

by Qinlong, January 12, 2012 6:43 PM
Ip Man 3, no contest. I'm intrigued by The Grandmasters, but I'm thrilled by Ip Man 3. And I've always found Wong Kar Wai so artsy as to border on fartsy.

by Daniel Anderson Craft, January 12, 2012 6:50 PM
Totally depends. Of course The Grandmaster just to finally see another WKW film. But as a martial arts fan, Ip Man 3 as I think that series is the best kung fu franchise since Once Upon a Time in China as far as complexity and quality of the fight work.

by DooK, January 12, 2012 7:56 PM
I hope Donnie's commitment to Ip Man 3 won't clash with his plans of returning to contemporary film-making. I'm all about Donnie making good films but I think it's time to change the game plan now.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject:

Interesting comments...

Same subject, two very different "takes"...
The titling of the two films itself gives away the difference between the two perspectives.
Of course, if one loves pure action and is a Donnie Yen fan they are not expected to drool in anticipation of WKW's "artsy" version.

I have seen the first Ip Man - reminds me of early Jackie Chan movies.

Thanks Jamaica for the post. Smile
Jamaica

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Tony Leung to take a break from working with Wong Kar-wai

Tony Leung to take a break from working with Wong Kar-wai

January 14th, 2012 § 0 comments

From DBW: (wongkarwai.net)

At a press conference for THE GREAT MAGICIAN (DAI MOR SHOOK SI), actor Tony Leung revealed that he was taking a break from working with director Wong Kar-wai. Leung has been working on Wong Kar-wai’s THE GRANDMASTERS (YUT DOI JUNG SI) for over two years. For the role he has given a lot and was even injured on the production. He admitted that he would not work with Wong Kar-wai again for awhile.
THE GREAT MAGICIAN director Derek Yee Tung Sing revealed that Tony Leung once said that he would make five more movies then retire, but Leung denied that.
“I hope that my entire life is in acting, to have work at every stage.” Leung said that he would like more chances to make comedies. As soon as he said that people in attendance assumed this meant that he did not want to work with Wong Kar-wai who rarely made comedy films.
He said, “I just finished Wong Kar-wai’s movie, both of us are very tired and need a long time to recover. Maybe it will be a long, long while before we work together again. No one should be too concerned about me working with him, for now we wouldn’t.”
THE GRANDMASTERS is scheduled to be released in theaters in Summer/Autumn 2012 in China.

http://entertainment.dbw.cn/system/2012/01/09/053628545.shtml

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject:

It's great if 'The Grandmaster' will be released this year. I'm terribly excited to see it.

I like action movies and there are some really well made Martial Arts action movies. But I think Wong Kar Wai's movies are an event. They are in a league of their own and while I can see lots of similar action movies there is nothing that will be similar to what Wong Kar Wai makes.
Jamaica

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Russian version of The Grandmaster's trailer

http://twitchfilm.com/news/2012/02/second-teaser-for-wong-kar-wais-the-grandmasters-touches-down-in-russia.php

Not much different than what we already have seen, and fans sound pessimistic, but a moment of footage from a single scene in the film (which for all we know, won't even make it to the final film) isn't much from which to make a judgement on the overall film.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject:

My sense is WKW is painstakingly making this film more than an action film- adding new elements as he goes along.
I think the finished product will be worth the wait. Perhaps we'll be seeing an action film that is so avant-garde it is not an action film.

Thanks Jamaica.
Safran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:23 am    Post subject:

That´s my expectation/hope too.......I would imagine historical/biographical facts....and martial arts will not be the main factor Wink
Maybe simillar to "Ashes of Time", in which WKW also managed to create something beautiful new/alternative/different... exceeded...... beyond the traditional genre and role models ?
Jamaica

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Ziyi Zhang to Finish filming Grandmasters Later this month

Ziyi Zhang to Finish filming Grandmasters Later this month

http://zz-infos.com/archives/category/films/the-grandmasters

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject:

Applause ........The same is true for Tony probably ? Hopefully !
Jamaica

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:21 am    Post subject: Grandmasters Release to be Announced End of April

Same article as posted in "News.". Have no idea as to accuracy, just sharing what's available, but it sounds like she's talking to the right people.

http://www.jaynestars.com/news/tony-leungs-the-grandmasters-to-complete-filming-in-may-2012/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Jamaica for these news articles - seems we have some better hope again. Very Happy
In The Mood For Leung

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Jamaica.

WKW is a/the master of his craft. I actually welcome these delays. This means WKW does not compromise the quality of his work and the integrity of his vision just to meet the deadline of some film festival.

Rush production is what a commercial director would do.
yitian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:02 am    Post subject:

The Grandmasters is set to release on Dec. 18th 2012. Very Happy
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Movies All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 3 of 13

Jump to: