TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

Toronto International Film Festival
Goto page 1, 2  Next

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Random Thoughts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sparkles_n15

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:33 am    Post subject: Toronto International Film Festival

In anticipation of the 35th Toronto International Film Festival happening September 9th to 19th, there was an article in the paper today speculating the 10 big "gets" that may show up in the line up.

+++

Howell: Ten big "gets" that could show up at TIFF
Published On Mon Jul 26 2010

Will Brad and Sean walk TIFF’s red carpet?

Will the Coens be ready and Clint willing?

And will Mel’s big mouth kill his puppet trick?

These and other questions swirl as the Toronto International Film Festival prepares for Tuesday’s announcement of a big portion of its programming lineup for its annual bash, Sept. 9-19.

It’s an uncommonly busy festival year, especially for Toronto, as many titles that weren’t ready or available for Cannes in May now jockey for a slot here and/or at rival fest Venice.

TIFF 2010 also marks the opening of the new Bell Lightbox facility, another big incentive for filmmakers and productions looking to make a pre-Oscars publicity splash.

Toronto typically programs close to 300 films each year (although indications are it will be more like 250 this year).

This leaves room for plenty of picks, including North American premieres of Darren Aronofsky’s Black Swan and Julie Taymor’s The Tempest, already confirmed for Venice and very likely to show up here.

Here are 10 big “gets” — none of them yet confirmed or announced — that might well show up at Toronto’s film feast:

1. The Tree of Life: The big no-show at this year’s Cannes festival was this fifth feature by mercurial auteur Terrence Malick (Days of Heaven), who always keep everyone guessing — and thinking. It now looks to take root in T.O.

Starring Brad Pitt and Sean Penn, and set in the Midwest in the 1950s, it’s been described as a saga about “a lost soul in the modern world.” Expect enthralling visuals, a meditative pace and big thoughts, as well as mucho hoopla if Pitt and Penn come to town and walk the red carpet together.

2. Hereafter: One-take maestro Clint Eastwood can handle any genre and get it done in record time and on budget. He’s back with his annual Oscar contender, starring Matt Damon and Bryce Dallas Howard, and written by Peter Morgan (The Queen). It’s described by the IMDb.com as “a supernatural thriller centred on three people — a blue-collar American, a French journalist and a London schoolboy — who are touched by death in different ways.” The film is reportedly finished, but is Clint willing to do Toronto?

3. True Grit: Lately it feels as if it’s not TIFF without a visit by Joel and Ethan Coen, and this would be a major “get” for the fest. It’s their take on True Grit, the 1969 oater that won John Wayne his sole Best Actor Oscar. The Coens have said they want to remain truer to the source novel than the Wayne film did. This one stars Jeff Bridges, Josh Brolin and Matt Damon, and it’s a natural for Toronto. Only grit in the ointment is that filming commenced in March; it will be a push to get it ready for September.

4. The Beaver: Is TIFF brave enough to handle Mel Gibson’s mouth? This offbeat comedy directed by Jodie Foster and starring her and Gibson was a no-brainer choice until Mel’s racist rants about his ex-girlfriend hit the Internet earlier this month. Now it’s guaranteed to attract trouble like a G20 riot, which the fest may decide it doesn’t need.

The story is way out there: Gibson plays a cuckoo toy company CEO who begins talking to everyone via a beaver hand puppet. Hopefully it comes with an optional muzzle.

5. Brighton Rock: The directorial debut by screenwriter Rowan Joffe (28 Weeks Later) is a crime drama based on Graham Greene’s classic 1938 novel. It stars two of Blighty’s best actors, Helen Mirren and John Hurt. There is added festival firepower in that Joffe penned The American, the George Clooney-starring thriller originally tipped for TIFF but which will now open a week earlier (after likely premiering at Venice).

6. The Grand Master: After the pie-in-face flop of My Blueberry Nights, his 2007 English-language debut, Chinese auteur Wong Kar-wai (In the Mood for Love) returns to his language and his roots with a story about Bruce Lee’s martial arts master Ip Man, played by Tony Leung. The film is shrouded in secrecy, as always, but it has reportedly reached the editing stage, signalling a possible Toronto arrival.

7. High Rise: A leading Canadian contender for TIFF, along with the announced opener Score: A Hockey Musical and the expected Barney’s Version, is this dystopian thriller by Toronto’s Vincenzo Natali (Splice, Cube). Based on a 1975 J.G. Ballard novel about a man who finds himself trapped in the world’s tallest and most lavish building, it could do wonders for sales of bungalows.

8. Restless: Gus Van Sant is a Toronto regular, and he’s made a ghost story that fits with his surreal sensibilities. The film stars rising talent Mia Wasikowska (Alice in Wonderland) as a terminally ill teen who likes to attend funerals. Meanwhile, the ghost of a Japanese kamikaze pilot likes to visit her. Mia’s co-stars include Henry Hopper, son of the recently departed Dennis Hopper, and Schuyler Fisk, daughter of Sissy Spacek.

9. Never Let Me Go: Dystopian Brit sci-fi, directed by Mark Romanek (One Hour Photo) and based on an acclaimed novel by Japanese-born author Kazuo Ishiguro, that stars a Who’s Who of top young talent. Cast includes Carey Mulligan (An Education), Keira Knightley, Sally Hawkins (Happy-Go-Lucky) and Andrew Garfield, the latter the relative unknown chosen to wear the webbed leotards in a rebooted Spider-Man franchise.

10. The Rum Diary: Any time you can get Johnny Depp to come to town, you want that to happen, and this long-gestating project is a labour of love for him. Directed by the MIA Bruce Robinson (Withnail & I), it’s based on the first novel by Hunter S. Thompson, Depp’s close pal and fellow rebel. Will Depp be able to take a break from filming Pirates of the Caribbean 4 to walk TIFF’s red plank?

+++

What do you think? Is there hope? Razz
I don't think I'll be holding my breath on this one. Hehe.

How about the others on the list?
Safran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject:

Hello sparkles_n15 1

Thanks for the information !

I hold fingers crossed for you Wink
Hope you will have a chance to watch "The Grand Master" first of all -on TIFF! "Never Let Me Go" (I liked the Ishiguro novel very much )-
Good Luck !

Last edited by Safran on Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yuka

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject:

Hi Jenny,
What an attractive selections (i.e. speculations )!!
If The Grand Master is coming to TIFF, it means world premiere, right ?
I read Never Let Me Go original novel in Japanese. I liked the story.
Can’t imagine how it turns out in a movie.
I’d like to watch The Coens , Vincenzo Natali and Darren Aronofsky’s latest works, too. Wink
BTW, A. Jolie and 4 children are now in town for promotion, without Brad.

Hope all speculations come true !
Safran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:52 am    Post subject:

BTW:

To make SPECULATIONS:scratch

...........IF WKW manages editing in time (haha) - probably Tony will attend with the Team on TIFF-World-Premiere ???

To make more MORE SPECULATIONS: Wink

............Fan-Gathering planned in Toronto ???

If, if, if, if, if.........GOSSIP ??? Confused

Will Silenced now and better drink some tea .....!

Helga
sparkles_n15

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:40 am    Post subject:

YATTA!!!~~

Oh...sorry, my excitement isn't about TGM. Heehee. Razz

Norwegian Wood will be playing at TIFF!! It's listed on the TIFF website now!
http://tiff.net/filmsandschedules/tiff/2010/norwegianwood
Safran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:03 am    Post subject:

WOW - Congratulations lucky Canadian cinephiles !!!Very Happy
Yuka

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:43 am    Post subject:

Yokattane, Jenny!!! Very Happy

You guys are lucky ! Great selections!!
I'd like to watch Julian Schnabel's latest film, too.

If Norwegian Wood is Japan -North America Premiere,
Venice IFF is world premiere? It seems many of the lineups
can also be found in both movie festivals. Anyway, we have to
wait official announcement for Venice, too.

I hope you can get tickets for TIFF !
Ganbatte ! (Good Luck!) Wink
Safran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject:

Hello again

Here the first news from 67th Venice International Film Festival, Sept. 1-11 2010 - more on 29 th of July.

Opening films are "Black Swan" by Darren Aronowsky and "Chen Zhen" by Andrew Lau.

http://www.labiennale.org/en/cinema/index.html

Where will WKW`s "The Grand Master" -surprise-effect happen - if anything this year ??Wink

See you
katwoman64

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject:

Wow!
Thanks Jenny for the info.

Would WKW remove all us from misery getting on time to this appointment?
Lets pray together!

Kiss
Mimma

Sadako Sasaki
Safran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject:

Here you can watch now the "line up " of VIFF - and the films in the different sections :

http://www.labiennale.org/en/cinema/festival/lineup/

World premiere of "Norwegian Wood"-in competition: "Venezia 67"

(Also Carina with Tony Leung Ka-Fai in a Tsui Hark film...... a new Miike........)

Salve !
Helga

PS: Please forget all my former "speculations " Wink
Yuka

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject:

Hi, Helga,

Thank you for updating Venizia 67 line up Very Happy

Kat,
Hope you can have chance to visit Venezia 67!
One hour flight, right ? I've been there several times , but
many many years ago.... ha ha.
Btw, didn't you go to Venice when Tony was there for Lust, Caution?

Oh, I have to go now..

See you Waving
katwoman64

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:25 am    Post subject:

Hi Helga,
Thanks for the update.

Hi Yuko,
no, never visited Venice.
When Lust, Caution was presented I was, remember, in and out of hospital with hub in and out of surgery.
Now I have the chance, but I am starting a new job next monday.
So this would have to wait. Again.
Ok, life is not always a cup of tea.

Big Kiss Giving a kiss
When do you start your well deserved holiday? Waving

Bye
Mimma the WorkingKat

Sadako Sasaki
Yuka

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject:

Hi Kat、
Congratulations! I’m so happy for you !Hope you’ll have chance to visit many
places from now on. Very Happy I hope I can take holidays,soon , at least by the end of this year…...
Have a good weekend !Waving
sparkles_n15

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject:

Just came back from watching Confessions! It was visually (and musically) stunning, with lots of twists and turns in the story line. I really enjoyed it a lot. There was also a good response from the audience. My only complaint was that they didn't have enough screen time for Okada Masaki. Heehee.

(Just kidding)

I meant to post an update on TIFF, but this year I failed to get tickets to the earlier screenings, so my first film was at Day 9 of the festival (earlier tonight). I'll be up bright and early tomorrow for Norwegian Wood, so let's hope I can make it out of bed. Smile
Eri

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:45 pm    Post subject:

Hello Jenny,

I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed Kokuhaku (Confessions).
This is one of my favorite Japanese movies in this year, and it was very enjoyable even though the topic itself can be very serious and controversial.
I didn't know the English title has "S" at the end (because there is no difference in Japanese language), but I think it is better English title because the original story was made with various people's confessions.

I don't really know Norwegian Wood was up to people's expectations.
Since I've heard that in Venice, there were some laughters at their love scene, I am wondering what was so funny. Laughing
Was Rinko really convincing as Naoko ? I also read Rinko was trying to make her role sensitive and fragile, but unfortunately only becoming nervous and edgy.

Please let us know what do you think later.
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Random Thoughts All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: