TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

World Autism Awareness Day 2010 - Apr 2, 2010
Goto page 1, 2  Next

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Get to know each other
View previous topic :: View next topic  
suellen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: World Autism Awareness Day 2010 - Apr 2, 2010

Hello all,

As World Autism Awareness day approaches, preparations are being made by a group of mothers and myself to challenge the Ontario provincial government's appalling record in its treatment of individuals (in our case - children) with autism in this province. Autism Resolution Ontario is the organization I belong to which will be trying to get media attention before and on April 2nd. They have made a documentary about the plight of 4 families who are dealing with the devastating consequences of the prov. govern.'s policies of denying vital funding for life enhancing treatment and education for autistics. My family is one of the four. I haven't seen it finished yet but it will be posted by April 2. Also I will be attending 2 news conferences on the same subject on Tuesday and on April 1 at the provincial legislature.

It's sad that families in Canada have to go to such extremes to get special needs services and education for their family members who have autism. There is a large discrepancy between our Canadian values of universality and our autism reality. I hope that you all look at how the situation is, in your region, regarding the quality of life for those who have autism and get to know this neurological disability first hand.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject:

Dear suellen

I want to tell you my sympathy and admiration

- for having the strength and power as "vanguard-fighter"
- though you and your family might be loaded to maximum capacity sometimes, with an autistic child.

Much attention and Good Luck for your Demonstration and Conference - Wish you best results - for all concerned!
" Special problems need special solutions " Wink

And : Take care !

Helga
suellen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject:

Thank you Helga for your sympathy and understanding. I actually have 2 children with autism.

News conference on Tuesday received some local attention - 4 news articles (written) not bad. There were 2 TV cameras and I got interviewed by one crew but never made to air. It was great to actually go to the Provincial Legislature to participate in and support the cause - I've never actually been to the building not even as a tourist. Made new friends of families with autism.

Next news conference April 1...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:29 pm    Post subject:

Dear STRONG suellen,

I guess finding new, understanding friends is probably the most important result for you, personally - beside the undoubtedly important outreach work.

Good Luck - further on !
Helga
sparkles_n15

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:15 am    Post subject:

Good luck with everything Suellen. It's very admirable.

Can you let me know where the articles are? I will keep my eyes open on the news.

Jenny
Yuka

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:33 am    Post subject:

Dear Suellen,

You're brave to speak out.
Good luck to you and members of 4 families. Smile
katwoman64

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:46 am    Post subject:

Suellen, dear,

As all the others I wish you can have the help and support you need.

In Italy there are lots of things made with children with disabilities, help at home, individual help in the classrooms, and voluntary groups that support the parents, looking after their children few hours per week.

Even so it is very hard to go on.

I had a disabled cousin. It was a different disability, he was paralized from the neck down and didn't speak, and my large family (five children, little money) adopted the whole family, father, mother and child.

It simply was too much, and they needed our hands too.

My cousin died at twenty, and I suffered like hell, because he was a brother to me.

I wish you all the best
Keep being so brave
A Hug & Kiss
Mimma

Sadako Sasaki
suellen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject:

Mimma - Sorry about your cousin...it simply is 'too much' is what everyone in the severely disabled community have in common I think...

Helga - Strong is Paul Ceretti who was the centre of the news conference last Tuesday - he is extremely nervous in front of the camera but he still tells his story...

Jenny and Yuka - thanks for the support - you can search under Autism-News or Andrea Horwath (NDP) or Autism coalition ontario for updates.

Finally! Canada has signed the United Nations Bill of Rights for the Disabled (it only took forever) - the bill is not strong enough in my opinion...

On April 2, 2010 for WAAD 2010 many people will be wearing blue to support Autism (this is a US initiative) so I'm going to search my closet for some blue clothes...

Thanks all.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:07 am    Post subject:

Dear suellen ,

To declare my solidarity with your requirements for Autists- (and their Families)- problems, I ´ll wear BLUE too on WAAD on 2nd of April 2010, - and will inform all my friends about........to do so.

Much success !

Austrian Springgreetings
Helga
katwoman64

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:57 am    Post subject:

Dear Suellen,

When we talked about HK meeting you said that you needed good babysitting, and I thought, well, we all have had children, there's nothing to worry.

Then you opened yourself about your family situation, and I still think: there's nothing to worry, because, if there is a thing that I learned is this: many hands can do a tough job.

I just can say that, for the families involved, is really really hard, because from how much they can teach their children depends their future and their independence - as adults - from family.

And also both parents never relax when they go out, because they think the whole time to all the problems that can arise and that a substitute doesn't know how to solve.

So, most of all, these parents are overstressed and need some help, to be relieved of their charges every once in a while plus a good program of exercises to make their children as independent as is possible (the better the program - and the trainer - the most they can learn).

So yes my dear, keep attracting all the interest you can, because gaining a good exercise and support program can make all the difference for your children future.

Be brave
A hug & kiss
Mimma
P.S.: I will wear blue too

Sadako Sasaki
Safran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject:

Dear Suellen !

For Tomorrow, WAAD 2010:

GOOD LUCK and SUCCESS for all of your actions !

In (blue) sympathy
Helga
suellen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject:

Hello all,

Just to let you know that the April 1,2010 news conference was a success even though to me it looked like there were only 2 reporters and 1 video crew, but apparently that's all it takes.

Good article in Toronto Star on Apr2 and good editorial in same paper on Apr4 -with picture of the Autism Resolution Ontario founder. Inside cover of Toronto Sun on April 2 had picture of my boys' school - just the hallway but its still the inside cover of a major newspaper. Also news coverage on April1 about 9PM on TV channel 11, CHCH. This is better than I expected...

Best of all the April 1 news conference was at Queens Park, the provincial legislator. After the news conference, Sharon and the rest of us tried to go directly to the premiers office to ask - what are you doing about the autism crisis but we were stopped by security of course. Then I was called away because one of my boys was sick ( turned out to be spring allergies) but the others went into the gallery for question period and simply held up pictures of their autistic kids. They were promptly thrown out - but how empowering because it did stop the question period for 15 seconds!! I wish i could have been there for that!

The documentary was not ready yet...we are all volunteers here having to fit this protest activity in between our real jobs...but I know its being finalized. The whole month is autism awareness month so there's plenty of time...

Hope you had a good Easter with lots of chocolate! My apple trees and the crabapple trees are nowwhere near blooming despite the summer like weather...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject:

Congratulations Suellen - well done ! Applause

Go on "moving mountains" - loving mothers manage to do thumbright

Best wishes
Helga
suellen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Hello all,

The AutismResolutionOntario.com documentary called "Shut-out:Failing Kids with Autism in Ontario" is now posted on Youtube! It's very short in length, my family is the second family being interviewed, there are only 2 families's stories that made it to the final version, a lot was edited out but I think the message got across...

If I were more tech savvy I would insert a link to it just about now....http://www.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dft88zJE78QU&h=8c9dd4d88848537422aae0e3ca278742

Not sure if that works....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:20 am    Post subject:

Dear Suellen !

Watching the video, I spontaneously want to send you my deepest respect and best wishes for your family and your awareness campaign - further on !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ft88zJE78QU
(think, this one works)

Helga
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Get to know each other All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: