TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

Which is the Greatest city for you ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Random Thoughts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sparkles_n15

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:09 am    Post subject:

Eri,

I have been to the Chinatown in London. It's actually a lot smaller than I thought. I had a good time there, I spoke Cantonese to the waiters and they were pretty nice to me. I've also been to the Chinatown in Yokohama. For some reason I was expecting more people to speak Chinese? There was only one lady who spoke Mandarin at one of the shops. When she realized I was Chinese, she gave me some roasted chestnuts for free. Heehee.

Yuka,

Private jet eh? Let me know when you've met that rich boyfriend and introduce me to his friends. Hehehe.
I do find that Tokyo has more tastier food than other cities I've been to. Any of the restaurants in the big department stores have way better food than the average restaurants in Toronto. I can't compare with the higher end stuff, but I can get a relatively good meal at a decent price. I can't even find a good bakery around my house that sells better strawberry shortcake than the shops found at the depachika! Ahh...cake. Very Happy
Yuka

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:44 am    Post subject:

Oh, Jenny , Of course!!!! We’ll have a party on the private jet. Wink

You know the word depachika? I think shopping for food at the Depachika is one of the most fun things to do in Japan, too !
(FYI:In Japan, there’re a lots of food grocery shops at the basement floor of big department stores.
That’s why we call it depa(department)chika(basement floor)
I think Japanese sweets(i.e.western cakes)use less sugar than cakes in other countries. I like Japanese strawberries, too.
It's almost midnight here but I'm getting hungry... Smile
Safran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject:

Hello girls -

Here: 5 30 h in the evening - I try to cancel Dinner again, but reading your messages Jenny and Yuka, I will not resist !

In rememberance to culinaric "delicious" Tokyo - I totally aggree with you!
The best presented, healthiest and freshesed food - especially fish (and I learned to love the great variety of Tofu )

Where is the next Isakaya ??????- I could eat 10 different dishes now.........ooooooh - Do you hear my belly rumble already?

Greetings
Helga
Eri

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject:

Hello Jenny,

Yes, the China Town in London is very small and it is one of the tourist attraction in a way, but it is also very traditional Chinese community.
I sometimes went there to get some Veg. and dried food which is not available in super markets.
I also like one "noodles and congee shop" there very much.

There is Chinese New Year events every year (it is 14 Feb. this year) but when I was there in 90's, MC was already in Mandarin and English (not in Cantonese).

About the China town in Yokohama, I think most of people there running the shops are the 3rd or 4th generation and they are certainly more fluent in Japanese than Chinese.
Yuka

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:25 am    Post subject:

Hi Helga,

Last time when I was on a business trip to Berlin, I didn’t have any free time
but managed to stop by at KaDeWe (Food selection is quite good)
It was a food paradise for me and fun just cruising through.
I thought I could live there Wink

BTW, Junko and I’ll be seeing your dearest daughter later this month !! Very Happy
I’m sure she’s having a wonderful time here, once again.
Safran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:49 am    Post subject:

Hello Yuka -

I am very glad to hear - but at the same time I hope you will not feel bothered.

T. is very "economical" with her contact home, but I am convinced she enjoys her beloved Tokyo with friends again - apart from her UNI - affairs.......Hope she can manage everything she has planed.

Berlin I only know from time before "the fall of the wall" - "West-Berlin" was not soooo interesting then - but this might have changed totally (Culture, Architecture.....) and it is a very open, dynamic city nowadays .

Dearest Greetings !
Yuka

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:20 am    Post subject:

Hi Helga,
I’m not bothered at all. I’m glad she contacted me! Very Happy

I’ve been to Berlin before and after the fall of the wall.
Yes. I was astonished by the rapid change of Berlin!
Safran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject:

Hello Yuka - again

Just got a mail from my "little Japanese" (telepathy ?) She is also looking forward to meet you and Junko ! She moved to her second accomodation now (an appartement from a friend) in "no man´s land" this time - but she is fine - haha !
See you - friendly Greetings to Junko too !
Helga
Safran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:20 am    Post subject:

Dear Canadian friends, Jenny, Suellen.......... and fellow fans !

"Good Luck" for successful Winter-Games !

We could borrow you some snow- haha(my hometown looks like a "Winter-Fairy"at the moment - everything under a 50 cm white pillow !!!)

Attention: There are some very medal-promising Austian sportswomen and-men for alpine-sport present, haha -
Seriously - I think all who attend, are winners already !

BTW
I´ve watched some documentaries of Vancouver in TV - An amazing beautiful place ! (Did not know before: Every third inhabitant is with Asian roots !)

Austrian Greetings and "Schi Heil " ! (as we greet skier, to return well and without fractures )

Helga

Last edited by Safran on Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:05 am; edited 1 time in total
sparkles_n15

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:44 am    Post subject:

Thanks Helga!
Canadians are going to sweep the medals for sure! Heehee. Yes, I'm sure BC needs to borrow some snow.

Anyone watching the opening games? My favourite newscaster is finally coming to Canada and I'm stuck at the other end. Crying or Very sad
(Err...not that I'm a stalker or anything, heehee)

GO CANADA GO!
Safran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:00 am    Post subject:

Hello again sparkles_n15 !

Opening Ceremony after midnight - I guess - much to late !

Probably I´ll watch some contests with our "heroes"

- GO AUSTRIA GO - HOP HOP HOP !

Sportive Greetings
Helga
katwoman64

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject:

Dear Jenny and Canadian friends,
Best Wishes for your Winter Olimpics.

Dear Helga,
it was amazing, today morning, to wake up and discover that all at once I was austrian too. It snowed!!!!!!!!!
I said to hub: "It snows". And then I repeated: "It snows" like I do when there are important newst, like births, deaths, weddings and the like.

I was totally charmed by the floating flakes. Pushed the plants on the inner side of the terrace, out of harm's way. Went walking to the grocery shop and then did a long walk around my neighbourhood. It was magic!!! People shoot photographs with their mobiles because it is a once in twenty years event. The traffic jam spiked to epic proportions, the city a total chaos. On the floor there were about two cm of snow Rolling Eyes .

Anyway, the magic lasted only two hours, because all at once started raining and melted all, and at three in the afternoon the sky was blue, a bright sun was out in all its springtime glory.
It was a dream, nice till it lasted Very Happy .

Bye, a Kiss Giving a kiss
Mimma

Sadako Sasaki
Safran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject:

Hi Kat -

In two days 50 cm here - within some hours in the afternoon it melted down
to 30 cm. I can imagine how funny snowfall must be in Roma - especially for children !
(but 2 cm are to less to built a "snowman".....or toboggan down the hills....haha).
Thank you for your last beautiful Island dreams too !!!

Have to watch restored "Metropolis" now - direct broadcasted from BERLINALE

Heartly Hug
Helga
Yuka

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject:

Hi Jenny and everyone,

sparkles_n15 wrote:

My favourite newscaster is finally coming to Canada

I didin't know...sorry that you can't be there ,but you must be happy Wink
I hope there'll be enough snow in Vancouver!
I'm looking forward to watching figure skating and mogul, too Smile
suellen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject:

I'll be watching the speed skating which luckily does not require snow!

Wish i could be there too!! (I'm very angry that Arnold Schwartznegger was carrying the torch in BC at some point during its long run through the country. It really bugs me that my fellow Canadians don't seem to know where the US ends and where Canada begins - there should only be Canadians carrying the torch for the Canadian olympics - the US will have their turn soon enough! Sorry - but it really needed to be said.)

All the snow is in Washington DC apparently.

Jenny - I don't know which newscaster you are talking about??
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Random Thoughts All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: