TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

Which is the Greatest city for you ?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Random Thoughts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eri

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Which is the Greatest city for you ?

This article is quite interesting.
It is by CNN Asia, so talking about the greatest city in Asia. (Don't take this as an insult if your country is not in Asia.)

http://www.cnngo.com/tags/worlds-greatest-city

I've been to all these cities, and personally I like Tokyo (as I grew up in this place) and Hong Kong, also Shanghai.

Singapore and Bangkok are also interesting, but I think Munbai is a little difficult for not so experienced tourist. Very Happy
Safran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject:

Dear Eri

From the list I "only" know Tokyo and Bangkok and was totally impressed by both metropoles.
For me they are too different from each other to compare or vote, but both of them have in common the exotic and fascinating neighbourhood of modernity and tradition(in the eyes of an European).

I only know: I love both Cities and I wish I could be back in one of both -
In Tokyo because of my daughter and you my dear TT friends - and in Bangkok for the current climate, scents and colours.

Longing Greetings
Helga
ben

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:36 am    Post subject:

Even though my family is from Western Asia/Middle East and settled in Australia, I have never been overseas.

I would like to visit Hong Kong first of course. It been interesting for me since I grew up watching the Hong Kong action films on video and TV, and as I grew up, becoming interested in the culture, in the martial arts that became popular from there, and so on.

Also, I hope I could visit Japan, Tokyo is very popular, but I'd like to go out and visit other cities and go to the countryside, I think it would be much more interesting. I watched Ken Takakura's film "Poppoya: Railroad Man" and I thought the scenery of countryside Japan was very nice.
Safran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:44 am    Post subject:

hi ben

Welcome back again after a long time -
I only can confirm :Japan is very beautiful on countryside too !

My further personal sightseeing "wish-list" -in prefered order- would be:

Hongkong (Movies and Tony´s hometown too - haha) - Shanghai (from movies and history) - Mumbai (with a lot of respect) and Singapore (a bit strict for my taste) - But no doubt, I would like to visit all - and more !

You former told, you are a Wing Chun student - What do you think about Donnie Yen´s performance as "Ip man" ?

Greetings to sunny Australia!
Eri

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:53 am    Post subject:

Hello Helga,

I am sure it is not so difficult for you to stay in Munbai. Wink
You are very flexible person and have an ability to enjoy the different culture and customs.

BTW, shouldn't we include one more reason to prefer Hong Kong ?
"The Birth place of our favorite actor, Tony Leung" or "The city where Tony lives in" Very Happy

Hello ben,

You should combine Hong Kong and Japan (Tokyo and the country) travel.
There are some flights to Australia via Hong Kong from Japan, so I am sure these are available from Australia as well.

Tony's fans from any place are always welcome, so let us know when you plan the trip to Asia. Very Happy
Yuka

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:46 am    Post subject:

Hi everyone,

Thank you Eri for mentioning an interesting article.
May be impression is slightly different if you are a permanent resident ( or at least living
there for several years)or just visiting there for leisure or business.
I’ve been to most of cities except Munbai. Although Tokyo may have 50 reasons for being No.1 ,I feel the cost of living is too high.
As I was reading the article on Tokyo(No.42), I found the Japanese sake bar in Ginza(Kuri) is located in a building called Tony Building … Wink
May be we could meet there when you guys are visiting Japan ?? Wink

Hello Ben,
My cousin used to live in Sydney (now they’re in U.S.)So I’ve been to Australia for several times. I like Perth and Cairns, too.
I think you're right in saying there are more interesting areas outside Tokyo.
Tokyo is my birth place so I love without question, but sometimes I feel life goes too hasty here.

Have a nice weekend Very Happy
Safran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:04 am    Post subject:

Hello girls and fellow fans -

The "hit-list" from Europe - or worldwide would be interesting too.

Like Yuko said, it is a great difference to visit for a short time or to live in a City. In worldwide rankings Tokyo is always the "most expensive" City to live. (In Europe Paris in front now - former London)
But apart, "quality of life" depends on many other criterions too - fortunately !

In Europe - which Metropoles and Cities do you know already, are you most interested in or would you like to visit ?
Paris - London - Rome - Vienna - Berlin - Madrid - Budapest .........or others?

Two of my European favourits are Venice and Amsterdam - because they are really unique - followed by Lisboa, Hamburg and Istambul(situated in the west, north and east "borders" of Europe - thoug very different cultures, languages, history...."same same but different")

I confess, I love Metropoles on the Sea - worldwide ! (and where do I live ? hahaha)

Have a nice weekend - see you
Helga
Eri

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject:

Hello Yuka,

>As I was reading the article on Tokyo(No.42), I found the Japanese sake bar in Ginza(Kuri) is located in a building called Tony Building

I also spotted this, and wondered who is this TONY ? The owner of this building ? Laughing

Hello again Helga,

All the big cities are changing rapidly, so I don't know if it is still the same.

Among European cities I stayed, I think the best is Barcelona in total. The reasons ?

Good food. (Very important)
Lots of interesting buildings including some which are still used by ordinary people. (not only historical importance, but actual style is very unique and interesting)
People are fashionable,relaxed and friendly.
Very nice white sandy beaches near by.

What else do you need as a tourist ?

Other cities in Europe ?

Anywhere with good food is worth visiting. Wink
So Paris is the one for good restaurants (but there are some bad ones near the popular tourists' sites) and delis, however I don't know if it is the greatest city.

Also all the Mediterranean cities are good for food, even though you cannot say the greatest city just because of tasty food. Smile

London has a bad reputation for food and no special reason to be the greatest city, but almost like a second home to me, so I still like London.

I would like to visit Istanbul in the future. (although I don't expect this place to be the greatest city. Rolling Eyes )
Safran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:00 am    Post subject:

Hello Eri

You mentioned Barcelona - and I only can say: YES ! (do not know why I forgot it in my European favourits-list !!!!)- We were there and it really is a fascinating city in arvhitecture and culinaric ! (defenitly the third city of my outstanding favourits - beside Venice and Amsterdam (although Netherlands is also not the centre of culinaric !)
BTW: Lissabon/Portogese cuisine is not so various and good, but I loved this city with some "african touch" though. The recipies - of fish too ....are very solid and earthy.
In London I have enjoyed most best Asian - Indian food (all good restaurants were very (too) expensive for a family-trip)
Most restaurants in Paris (and Tourists "are humans too" !!!!!)were disappointing - Though we are able to speak in French - more or less - and have much experiences in all regions of France, we found the better restaurants in the country and on the coast. (BTW: in my opinion the "famous French cuisine" has its importance in history and cooking tradition for Europe (like "Nouvelle Cuisine") - no doubt ! But meanwhile it is overrated too - in my opinion it did not develop - as others !)

Sorry, I speak like an expert, but we are only simple "Gourmets" and - as you may have seen - "Gourmands" at the same time too - hahaha

Last words to Istambul : It has about 12-14 millions inhabitants !!! very large - with daily traffic chaos in rush hours (commuters)........is growing and growing and is one of the most expensive Cities in Europe - to live ! Very beautiful historical quaters and buildings- you would like the food too. People are living directly in and nearby the ancient rests of their history (similar to beautiful Rome) and the near distance to Orient/Asia is to feel everywhere.

My Tip:
Try Vienna ! Bring all your friends with, and let us meet there - I know some very nice places to eat excellent and cosy and not too expensive !

Greetings Helga
sparkles_n15

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject:

Very interesting article Eri! I haven't been to many cities listed in the article, but you should know I'd pick Tokyo over HK any day! Very Happy

However, HK does have its merits (I was born there afterall!). I do love milk tea, that's the only thing I can't seem to find in Toronto. And of course Tony. Smile

As for European cities, I finally step foot in London and Paris last year. A little to expensive for me, but I could spend the entire afternoon out in the gardens at Versailles or at the British Museum. (Both free!) I can't give an accurate summary of the food though. Chinese takeout was the cheapest in London. Hehehe.
Eri

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject:

Helga,

You are wise to eat Indian Food in London. Laughing
And I also think "famous French cuisine" are over-rated, but I am sure it is much better than most of western food in London, so it was worth visiting Paris just to eat reasonable Western Cuisine. Confused
When I found out some of the rich people working at the City had sandwiches for lunch everyday, I was horrified. Shocked
Also some people said "I don't want to cook anything except boiled, because my beautiful kitchen gets dirty. Some people are not interested in what to eat at all. Mad

Visiting Vienna ? I would love to.

Hello Jenny,

I understand you really like Japan. Very Happy

For eating in London, you are actually right to have Chinese takeout.
You shouldn't pay lots of money for only so so western food.
When I was in London, I went for Indian, Chinese or Turkish food at restaurants. I personally think English, French or Italian places in London are all too expensive for what they can offer (boring tastes if I say honesty). Rolling Eyes

Have you been to the China town in London ? It used to be more like HK(Cantonese world), but now it looks like people from Mainland are the majority.
katwoman64

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:01 am    Post subject:

Hi friends,

I can't really partecipate to this thread (never been to Asia Embarassed ), but I read it with interest.

It seems that food is very important. Drool

I am not one of those italians that want spaghetti everywhere. When in Rome... Wink

Bye
Mimma

Sadako Sasaki
Yuka

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:05 am    Post subject:

Hello everyone,

I’ve been to all the European cities Helga mentioned. It is difficult to say which one is better because they are so different.
I’d like to add Brussels , Southern France (cote d’Azure)and Como(Italy)
When I went to Cannes I thought it would be fun living there if I were rich.(May be much quicker to find a super- rich boyfriend so that I can fly over anywhere with my(his) own private jet. Ha-ha-ha. Laughing Laughing Laughing )Sorry, it’s still Monday and my brain is still out of order.

I’ve been to Vienna twice. People were really nice to me. As many Japanese tourists do, I visited Hotel Sacher Wien and ate sachertorte. Salzburg is a beautiful town, too. Very rich in music culture .You can enjoy many music concerts in the park for free. We don’t have so much chance here in Tokyo. When I go to London, if I can't find anyplace to eat, I always go to China town or Indian restaurants, too…..
Foreign residents living in Tokyo say restaurants in Tokyo offer much higher level of dishes compared to their country. May be true for some restaurants here, but they are so expensive !!!

Hi Jenny,
If you and your sister are coming to Japan again, please let us know ! Very Happy
marsha

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject:

Hi everyone! I wish I could go to all the places mentioned in the forum Cool I haven't been to many places outside my country, I've only been to Hong Kong ( for a very short time only ) and Taipei ( I lived there for a year ). But I must say I love HK very, very much. The transportation is really good. The buildings are nice, I guess almost everything is lovely ( is it because HK is Tony's place he..he..he... ). I would love to go there again and hopefully, stay for about a week unlike my previous visit. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject:

Hello dear friends and fellow fans -

See my suggestion in "Get to know each other" !

Helga
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Random Thoughts All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: