TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

Shall we start a BEST MOVIES of 2009 List?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Get to know each other
View previous topic :: View next topic  
suellen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Shall we start a BEST MOVIES of 2009 List?

Hey everyone,

I found your movie reviews very helpful and informative. I think we should start a list amongst ourselves of the best movies of 2009 which would be helpful for those of us that didn't have a chance to see them in the theatre. We could then see them on DVD.

I think District 9 should be on the list because of the powerful message very maturely delivered. Also, Transformers and Avatar for special effects and pure entertainment value.

What do you want to add? Take your time...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:50 am    Post subject:

Hi suellen -

A very good idea !
Though there might be very different kinds of movie-taste (naturally !) - this experiment could be exciting !
What about :
No need of a judgement - short personal statement - subject catalogue ?
Where in Forum ?
Some more suggestions guys ?

Would be so wonderful if Tony could join.............haha !(I know it is not possible !)

BTW:
HAPPY NEW YEAR suellen and all cineastic fellows !

Helga
francisc4

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject:

Hi suellen,

this is my list for the best movies of 2009 =
Avatar, Sherlock Holmes, Inglourious Basterds, District 9, The International, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, The Taking of Pelham 123, Terminator Salvation, Angels & Demons, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Public Enemies, A Christmas Carol, The Hangover. Computer

For animation movies = Up, Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs, Monsters vs. Aliens, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, Astro Boy, Planet 51. thumbright

and the best 2009 HK movies =
Red Cliff II, I Corrupt All Cops, Bodyguards and Assassins, Assassins, Hua Mulan. Applause

Cheers,
Cisca
Jane

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject:

Hi
I’ve just watched “Moon” by first time director Duncan Jones (David Bowie’s son).
I really enjoyed it as the story took an unexpected turn 1/3 of the way into the movie.
Fantastic performance by Sam Rockwell. If you enjoyed District 9, then I think you would like Moon.

“Looking for Eric” (Ken Loach) is also really good.

I also enjoyed District 9, Star Trek and Up.

Jane
Safran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject:

Uuups - I have´nt watched any film of your lists - and never heard of some !!!!
I am tired of western "Blockbusters" or too old yet.......so I avoid - most. I really prefer some refreshing , Asian(socalled) "B-movies" to some Oscar-winning A-productions (with nothing new) !
(Seems I am tooo severe or am I "living behind the movie-moon" ?)

Nevertheless I send you my "favourite movies - list" 2009 (late release date in Austria!) I´ve watched all in Cinemas - most on Festivals, and only a few in my hometown (no chance)

(!) = are my special personal favourits.
Some of my dearest films are not mentioned, because they are "older" ones, I watched on DVD last year.

In chronological order:

"Ashes Of Time - Redux" (!) by WKW,
"Der Knochenmann"(!), by Wolfgang Murnberger
"Die Klasse" by Laurent Cantet
"The Way We Are"(!) by Ann Hui,
"Departures" (!) by Takita Yojiro,
"CÉst La Vie" by Remi Bezancon
"Der Vorleser" by Stephen Daldry,
"Universalove" by Thomas Woschitz,
"The Drummer" by Kenneth Bi,
"Das Weiße Band" (!) by Michael Haneke,
"Thirst"(!) by Park Chan-wook,
"The Good, The Bad and the Weird"(!) by Kim Ji-woon,
"The Chaser"(!) by Na Hong-jin,
"Ip Man" by Wilson Yip,
"Open City" by Lee Sang-gi, and
"Plastic City" by Yu Likwai

Some of my VIENNALE Favourits:
"Zha Lai Nuo Er"(!) by Zhao Ye,
"A Serious Man" (!)by Coen Bros.,
"Le Roi de L´Evasion"(!) by Alain Guiraudie,
"Politist, Adjectiv"(!) by Corneliu Porumboiu,
"Un Prophete"(!) by Jacques Audiard,
"Ddongpari "(!)(Breathless)by Yang Ik-june,
"Fish Tank"(!) by Andrea Arnold,
"Darbareye Elly"(!) (About Elly)by Asghar Farhadi,
"Castro" by Alejo Moguillansky,
"Au Voleur" (!) (Real Life)by Sarah Leonor,
"She, A Chinese" by Guo Xiaolu,
"La Pivellina" by Tizza Corvi & Rainer Frimmel
"White Material" by Claire Denis......

For some films it needs more time to realize the lasting effect - than for others, that touch you directly - but though they are often very strong ones. I love movies which bewilder, surprise and impress me, but have to crack first, like a nut, to understand!

Again much to learn and much to watch for the year 2010 - I hope !
I am looking forward to new movie-adventures from different countries
and different styles, stories, genres,.......exciting journeys for my soul and fantasy.

"Good Projections" for 2010 !

edited:
Too long and too instructive ! - Please forgive a passionate movie-fan !
mary

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject:

Hi Suellen

Happy New Year.

This is my list, a couple of movies may have been 2008 but only reached Ireland in 2009. I've enjoyed reading everyones lists so far, may even get round to viewing some of them as they sound interesting.

In no particular order

Red Cliff
Ashes Of Time Redux
Disrtict 9
Fish Tank
The Reader
Departures
Thirst
Milk
An Education
Little Ashes
Coco Before Chanel

Ashes Of Time Redux was on television twice this year. The British channel Film 4 showed it. It was part of their film schedule for New Years Eve, early hours of New Years Day. I watched it earlier in the year enjoyed it, have also seen the original but on the internet. I was at a New Years Eve get together in a friends house, when I came home there was Tony on tv, the perfect start to the new year. Unfortunately the film was well started by the time I got home, fortunately I hadn't over indulged so I was able to watch with a clear head.

Best wishes...mary.
Tony Obsessed

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject:

Some of my favourites of the last year that I have seen on the big screen are:

Slumdog Millionaire
Michael Jackson's This Is It
Coco Avant Chanel
suellen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject:

What a wonderful start and I believe you all got the idea because the suggestions are coming in fast and furious and each opinion as to what should go on the list is so unique!

Helga: Happy New Year to you too! I think it would be fantastic to get Tony's best movie picks for 2009 and for all time!! He would have such a different perspective than the rest of us!

Cisca: See, I didn't know anything about your best HK movies and now I know what to look for at the video store! I agree with you about the International. It was very relevant to this past year's economic issues. Terminator Salvation was quite a departure from the Terminator series. I must see Public Enemies on DVD.

Jane: I'll have to see "Moon" by Duncan Jones if you say that it's like District 9. Haven't seen 'Up" yet, but the trailer looks hilarious.

Mary and TonyObsessed: Thanks for reminding me that I wanted to see "Coco before Chanel" on DVD. That's one of those non-blockbuster movies that is well worth seeing. Of course "Slumdog" should be on the 10 best list but was that not 2008?

Mary and Helga: You both mentioned Ashes of Time (with Tony with it) which I had forgotten to see as well...Although that DVD will be expensive for me to buy here in Canada but I'm sure well worth it.

Thanks for the great suggestions....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:16 am    Post subject:

Dear suellen

BTW "Ashes of time Redux ":

One year ago I´ve bought a "Ashes of Time - Redux" DVD - by mistake with wrong countrycode (1= USA and Canada I guess)
(Language: Chinese/Cantonese and French - Engl. subtitles - 1 DVD - no Features)

If you are interested, tell me please in pm ( I´ve bought it for Euro 25,- in Italy and could not exchange any more )

Only an idea, if you want and the countycode is the right one for Canada.
If not - no problem !

Greetings
Helga

BTW - For all Fellow Fans !

I bought 3 more DVD with wrong Countrycode 3 (3 = HK-SAR, Macao- SAR) I need code 2 (like Japan)-

If somebody is interested to buy (or change?), please send me a PM.
I sell for the prize I bought in Italy (bill) plus mail costs - Not more-Not less.

I never could play and watch all 4 DVD´s - neither on TV nor on PC:

"I´m a Cyborg, But that´s OK" Trad. Chin. with Engl. Subtitles, 1 DVD
Euro 20,- plus mail-costs

"Confession of Pain" Audio in Cantonese or Mandarin, Subtitles in Trad.Chin., Simplyfied Chin. or English, 2 DVD´s (Movie and Special Features) Euro 20,- plus mail costs

"Perhaps Love" The "Special Edition" in a golden cardboard-box including cardboard booklet (FOTOS) Audio in Mandarin, Subtitles in Trad.Chin., Simplyfied Chin. or Englisch, 2 DVD´s (Movie and Special Features)
Euro 28,- plus mail costs

Helga
Tony Obsessed

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject:

suellen wrote:
Of course "Slumdog" should be on the 10 best list but was that not 2008?

In the UK (where I live) the film was released in early 2009. It was shown at several film festivals in 2008.
Jane

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject:

Hi Safran
The best solution to your problem is to buy a multi region DVD player. The cheaper the player, the easier it is to find one that can be set to play different regions!
The Phillips model I have (~£30 from Amazon.co.uk) just requires a 6 digit code to be entered to change the region. Alternatively, if you have multiple computers at home, you could set different ones to play different regions. Most pcs allow up to 5 changes of region code before they become locked to a specific region.
Jane
Safran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:54 pm    Post subject:

Hello Jane

Thank you for your kind tips - I am sorry, but I am a technical idiot and cannot change the country-codes on my notebook or DVD player ( and do not want to provoke new problems)
If nobody needs my offered DVD´s (was a spontanuous idea)- NO problem - I´ll find another solution!

Thank you again for your helpful try !
Helga
suellen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject:

I saw 'Sherlock Holmes' two sundays ago and I fell asleep right at the most important part!! Sorry...not that Guy Ritchie didn't do a good job and all...I just got to sleep before going instead of after the movies...

Saw 'Daybreakers' this Sunday, I stayed awake this time. Vampire movie full of blood and gore. Not recommended for those who eat before they go to the movies...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject:

Hi Suellen,

I saw 'Daybreakers' last week as well. It was a tense movie, it made me really jumpy in some parts Shocked

I thought 'Sherlock Holmes' was really entertaining, although 'Snatch' is still my favorite Guy Richie film. It was cool to see Robert Downing Jr. show off some Wing Chun moves in the fight scenes. I read he's been a practitioner since 2004. Him and Jude Law have good chemistry together. I think they left the ending open for a potential sequel.

We're going to see 'Up in the Air' on Wednesday...should be good.

Ciao....Mol
Safran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject:

Hi guys

"Looking For Eric"
- I recommend this typical, but more humorous and optimistic Ken Loach- film. The "Manchester accent" is heavy (I was glad to read english subtitles too) -
Have fun -
Helga
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Get to know each other All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: