TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

RED CLIFF - THE DISASTER

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Communicate with Tony
View previous topic :: View next topic  
katwoman64

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: RED CLIFF - THE DISASTER

My Dear Tony,
After a looong wait I got to see Red Cliff (that in Italy had the title "The battle of the Three Kingdoms") with hub, on the silver screen.

It was awful. It was cut so much and so badly that it was almost impossible to follow.

I saw Red Cliff 1 on youtube, one year ago. It was epic material treated with love and respect from someone the knew history well and deep. Like "The Gladiator" filmed by Sergio Leone.

The characters were presented as heroes that find the strength to work together against a dictator. The reasons of the king portrayed by Chang Chen, the realationship between him and his tomboy sister.
And then the character you yourself portrayed, a warrior that is a man of peace, cultured, loving, and the deep understanding between him and his beautiful wife.

The battles were a great representation of the art of war, as I studied them: the tortoiseshell, the techniques of cavalry battles and fantry battles.

Waited so long, and it was so difficult for me to go to the cinema. I was so happy to finally get to share this, that was born a masterpiece, with hub and other fellas italians. To see what was meant to be seen on a big screen.

What I had was, as said by anothe viewer, "the ugliest John Woo film ever seen".

The suicide of the wife of the king? Cut. The reasons of Chang Chen? Cut. The enrolling of pirates by the wannabe dictator, and their exposition of the problems of winning people that knew well the river and its moody weather? Cut. Almost all the scenes with the Tomboy king sister, cut. Nobody can recognize her in her shot at the beginning of the battle, then, nobody knows who she is, she is spying the enemy.
Half the beautyful tortoiseshell battle, gone.

The result is stupid, confused and simply ugly. Yes, not even your screen presence can save it.

We had Matrix 1-2 and 3. Kill Bill 1 and 2. Rambo 1 till 6. All films that we can keep living without. But they were uncut and well presented. And sold.

WHY RED CLIFF HAD TO BE CUT, AND CUT SO BAD?

It's unrespectful for the gazillion people who made it. It's unrespectful towards the heap of money spent. I feel so let down Crying , and wanted that you knew.

Bye,
From Italy With Love Kat

Sadako Sasaki
Safran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject:

Dear Mimma - Dear Tony

Booooom -- ssssssmash ----------- What a nuisance ! A really merciless review. Makes me sad to read your report from the bad cutted western version of "Red Cliff" -
Sad and unfair for all who worked so hard for the two parts of the movie - from the director John Woo to all the extras - and for us too - the expectantly waiting audience and fans. Stupid destroying a movie -for marketing reasons only- is really irresponsible and contemptible !

Has someone else already watched this "short-cutted" version ? Mimma was it subtitled or dubbed ?

Dear Tony
I am especially sorry for you - and hope you are not too annoyed and disappointed about - after the big success in Asian countries !

Try to take it easy please- Gifted like you are, this cannot harm you at all !

"Chin up" dearest friend, we always will support you !

Helga
sparkles_n15

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject:

Oh no!! I'm saddened to hear that! I'm sorry your experience was horrible Kat. I have no idea when it's released in Canada, but I was looking forward to watching it and comparing how different it is from the original two movies. Sad

However, this should not reflect badly on all the hard work and good acting that was put into the movie! You had an amazing role in it Tony!

Jenny
mary

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:05 am    Post subject:

Hi

I only watched the trailers for Red Cliff on the internet to get a feel for the movie. I wanted to see it on the big screen, share the experience with others. Not all of Tonys movies are shown at cinemas in Ireland so I wanted to support this one (same with Lust Caution) showing there is a demand for this wonderful actor. I was not the only one as the cinema was full.

I saw Red Cliff in June and at the time enjoyed it, Tonys acting as always was great and the movie was a visual spectacular. I knew it was cut as the original was in 2 parts but didn't understand just how much I missed until now.

Kat... Thanks for your review. I feel the same as you, it's a shame for everyone involved and all their hard work. The movie shouldn't have been so badly cut they deserve better and so do western audiences who truly appreciate Tony and Asian cinema. I now intend to see the movie on the internet, hopefully it's still available if not I know somebody who can help.

Best wishes...mary.
katwoman64

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:29 am    Post subject:

Ladies and Gentlemen,
now you know what to do: buy the cd's and go see maybe at a friend's home that has the larger available screen.

Tony was good as usual, but this cut his marriage relationship seemed sort of out of a B-movie romance.

The whole seemed the spoof version of the former film.

Yes, I saw it dubbed, but this means nothing: having seen the original I know that the translation was accurate. It's the bits and pieces that didn't glue together!

You can't imagine the pain for the cut battles: if there is something that attracts men, old and young, is action, and this film had it in spades. Now I had just an indefinite blur. Too painful for words. Crying Crying Crying

And market people it's better they rethink this Red Cliff business, because they did a monumental error in judgement.

Bye,
from Italy with Love Kat

Sadako Sasaki
katwoman64

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject:

Dear Jenny,
If you know the original version, please, go see the western one. I pray all the other audience that knows the original to do the same.

I hate to be hard in my judgement, and would love to compare notes with other fellow fans.

Thanks
Mimma

Sadako Sasaki
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Communicate with Tony All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: