TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

The films of Ang Lee (NY/ end next Tuesday)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Random Thoughts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
twilight

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: The films of Ang Lee (NY/ end next Tuesday)

Link about the activity
http://www.indiewire.com/article/ang_lee_heading_to_lincoln_center/

It's from Aug 1st to 11th. I just saw Lust Caution tonight!

Ang Lee is going to have a meeting on Monday and Tuesday, in theater and bookstore.
Safran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject:

Thank you Twilight

- Ang Lee´s movies are one of my favourits - he is so versatile too (from "Hulg" to "Lust,Caution" !)
I have watched nearly all of them in Cinema or Television and did like most !
- Shortly in our cinemas is probably his "Taking Woodstock" - I am looking forward !

Will you attend the meeting ?

Greetings
katwoman64

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:46 am    Post subject:

Hi Twilight,

Hope you can go: it has to be a very intersting meeting!

I like Ang Lee: he is a great director and (I watched a presentaion of his of Wong Kar Wai) a very humorous person.

This humour of his is kept, I think, in his chosen films. He often present old people that disembark an airplane not to go in an other country, but literally on another planet, where they don't know the language and where they know that their values are not valid anymore. But he is very good and subtle in proposing the difficult relation between old and new generations with a light hand, keeping a very ironic eye on things.

He showed a healthy sense of humour when put in a whole different light what is an american epic: the myth of cowboys as Men's men, alpha dogs and the like. Sort of... Well, they can be gay, what do you know?

I think he even made fun of the american puritanism with "Ice Storm". Ang Lee doesn't claim, he suggests and, doing so, puts in audience's head the seed of doubt.

So, enjoy if you can!

Kiss
Mimma the Lazy Kat

Sadako Sasaki
mary

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject:

Hi twilight

I agree with Kat...hope you can go.
Ang Lee is an interesting director.
He's made many great movies, and what a
mixed bag they are so many different cultures.

Lust Caution, The Ice Storm and Brokeback Mountain
are my favourites of his movies. He's not afraid to disect
his characters and let them show their flaws for all the world to see.
He gets to the underbelly of different people and their culture.

He also knows his actors always picking the best challenging them to
go further than before, helping to make his movies truly great.
Best wishes...mary
twilight

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject:

I will go definately, although tickets were sold out. I hope there is a chance to get into theater and talk to Ang Lee.

Actually, I think Ang Lee's best work is Sense and Sensibility. I have a complicated feeling about Lust Caution. I love the brilliant performance from Tony, delicate art, multi-layer storyline, subtle details and touching scenes.

However, I strongly disagree with Ang Lee's idea about historical background in this movie. As a Chinese whose relatives died during that war, I can't accept the way that Ang Lee portrayed those patriotic students.

The author Eileen Chang wrote the story based on her imagination of a female spy's experience instead of the real history. Maybe Ang Lee didn't mean it, but LC did make audiences look down on those naive young students. They were hypercritical. They were cowards. They abandoned this young woman and made her life miserable. The point is what REALLY happened in history. Eileen Chang's story is merely a FAKE story. It upsets me that Ang Lee chosed this novel and tried to make it like real history.

I hope I express myself clearly. Sorry for my poor English.

Last edited by twilight on Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Safran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject:

Dear Twilight and fellow fans !

Thank you for your personal comment to Ang Lee and "Lust Caution".

I only loved this movie - without having exactly knowledge and grasp of Chinese history - and without being involved in any way or being loaded.

As European I am/was only informed of Chinese development by TV reports and literature. As we all can imagine, the representation of history always depends on the one who presents - depends on his own interests, experiences and sight - so it will never/seldom be objective - hard to accept !
However the political situation in China at that time "really" was - I watched this movie mainly as "work of art" and the performance - especially from Tony - was really fantastic and extraordinary !
I think the only "political statement" - whenever Ang Lee wanted to express a special one - is in my opinion: How destroying and cruel the influence of repressing systems generally are for the single individual.

Political madness, misleading and fanatism is unfortunately current all over the world, happens in all cultures on and on and on .......will mankind ever learn from history ?

Nevertheless -
In this days of anniversary, remembering the victims of Hiroshima and Nagasaki : Let´s hope for more reason of mankind and peace on our world - we only have this one !

Hope nobody feels attacked or offended or does misunderstand my statement -

PS: Hope you get the theatre-tickets to attend the discussion with Ang Lee!

Salve - Peace

Helga
katwoman64

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject:

Hi Twilight,

I didn't know this interpretation of Ang Lee's Lust...

I understand that feelings of you shangainese people can still be raw. I understand and empathize.

As I saw it, I think Lee was not unrespectful. He portrayed those students as young, passionate, with more bravery than brain. Young and desperately helpless against the enemy they fought. In a word, young.

When you see that Mr Yee had cold blooded killed his own schoolfriend, a man as old as him, you just think: "What do you think you guys can accomplish with this kind of beast?".

And even so they tried their best to do their part.

And, more than anything I thought that they were a representation of innocence. Mr Yee has lost it, and loves whatshername because she IS still innocent.

The same happens for the whole group of students. They are so green around the ears, they don't know better than to put themselves in a game bigger than them. And we can't feel anger toward them if they are not as good as their friend. They are really human in this painting.

It's Wang Chiah Chi that is more corageous. That finds her feelings involved too. And that in the end pays the higher price. With her innocent, too innocent, young friends.

This is what I felt. I hope it can reconcile you with the film.

Wish you can go, and, if you are so lucky, to have the chance to ask questions on the subject directly to Lee.

Enjoy Life!

Mimma the Sweated Kat

Sadako Sasaki
mary

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject:

Hi twilight

There is no need for you to apologise for your English, I think your language skills are great. You expressed yourself well it was interesting to read your views on the films of Ang Lee.

As a European I am not knowledgeable about this particular war, I only know some basic facts. What I do understand about any war is the destruction afterwards both physical and emotional. There are always victims on both sides repercussions lasting for many generations. Fortunately I have never lost family to war but for people who have it must be harrowing and difficult to comprehend loved ones dying because someone somewhere decided to start fighting. Mankind did, is and will continue to fight eachother over power, land or money etc etc. As Safran says will mankind ever learn from history.

I enjoyed Lust Caution because of the directors perception of all the characters emotions, which are literally stripped bare. I loved Tonys brilliant performance, he was mesmerising. It was interesting to get a feel of how China looked in those days, how peolple dressed etc.

I don't think the film made audiences look down on the students. I could understand they were passionate and courageous in wanting to fight for their country. Yes, they were young and innocent niave about the enemy.

Even though the film is based on a war that happened, I think most people
( I know I can't speak for everyone ) knew it wasn't based on a true story.
All war films have interpretations that will stir emotions in people especially when like yourself there is a connection to that war.

Once again I would like to say thanks for the photos and info about Tony and his films you have posted in other threads.
Best wishes...mary.
twilight

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject:

Thanks for all the replies. Personally, I still can't fully agree with Ang Lee, but it's fun to read your thoughts about LC. I appreciate your opinions in a lot of aspects.

I went to two discussion meetings in theatre and bookstore. It's a pitty that I know little about the two movies that Ang Lee talked about - Ride with Devil and Taking Woodstock.

It's very interesting to see Ang Lee face to face and listen to him. He is very polite, gentle and humble. I asked him a question about LC. He didn't have time to give me a full answer because many people were waiting in line to ask his signature on book. He was surrounded by people who wanted to introduce themselves or new actors/actresses/playwriters (etc..etc... ) to him.

I will upload some photos this evening.
Safran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject:

Wow, you are a tuff girl twilight - I am looking forward to your photos !

Helga
katwoman64

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject:

Happy for you.

I had the same impressions watching him on youtube.

This is why I can't believe he was voluntarily unrespectful toward your people.

What did he say?

Kiss
K

Sadako Sasaki
twilight

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject:

I am not good at taking photos. Sorry!

August 8th

poster of Ang Lee film exhibition

“梁朝伟” - Tony's name
I took this picture when the movie was almost over.

outside of the theatre

August 11th

I was outside. Ang Lee was in the exhibition hall, and reporters were taking photos.

Compere, James, Ang Lee, actor and author

August 12th

Ang Lee and James

twilight

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject:

the book of Ang Lee Film Exhibition

Poster

Postercard (I found it in the theatre. In the Mood for Love!)

francisc4

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject:

Hi Twilight,

Thanks a lot for posting all the the photos and poster of this event. Very Happy

Cheers,
Cisca
cutiepie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject:

Thanks twilight! I just visited Forest and saw your post there too. TAKING WOODSTOCK will be in the cinema soon and we will go and see it.

Ang Lee always reminds me more of a Confucianist scholar, with mild disposition, and placid eyes, humble and even a little shy. Nowadays this type of artist is rare to see in mainland China, but I don't know why I am more inclined to be fond of people like Ang, reserved but with facile imagination and creativeness in his works . Although he does not look like one of those artists with gushing talents , his talent goes about little by little, seems long lasting and hard to run short.

TGIF, finally will get out work in three hours for this week. Still have to take license exams for two more secitons, before I can be burden free. Reading posts on TONY websites is truly a joyous time for relax, thanks to the work from people like you twilight. Take care and have a good weekend!
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Random Thoughts All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: