TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

Article on Tony & Andy

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Articles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sparkles_n15

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Article on Tony & Andy

An interesting article posted on cqnews.net, more focused on Andy, but quite relevant to Tony as well.

The article is quite long, so I will try to translate it bit by bit.

Andy Lau and Tony Leung's Rivalry*

*Rivalry is used for lack of a better word. The actual words used in the title describes a relationship that encompasses the good and the bad; the gratitude and animosity; love and hate; almost like a dual existence. In a way it is almost like rivalry because they are often compared against each other.

"Wai Jai is more artistically driven, whereas I will find opportunities to work with directors that I respect. If Tony hadn't worked with Zhang Yimou, then I would have approached him 12 years ago. At the end I waited 12 years before 'House of Flying Daggers'. He appreciates reasoning and thinking, while I appreciate getting things in motion.

The 40th Golden Horse Film Awards was held in Taiwan in 2003. Andy Lau was the favourite going into the ceremony but suffered a defeat.

That year was the first time that Andy was nominated. Naturally, he was in the center of attention. Not only from China and Taiwan, but fans from Hong Kong went to Taiwan's Hualian to cheer him on. Even Japan's 'Andy Fans' went as well.

That night the ceremony was focused on Andy. The MCs kept singing praises of Andy throughout the night, leading him to believe in his chances of winning. Who would have guessed it was all for nothing?

When the ceremony ended, everyone left to go eat. Andy didn't say a single word and sat there. The loss that time hit him hard. He also lost his cool and complained to the judges. People criticized him for not being able to accept defeat graciously. Even Chow Yun Fat advised him to learn to accept defeat.

After listening to his respected elder, Andy was able to reflect on his actions. He changed his attitude and learned how to stay calm and collected.

In 2004, a refreshed Andy reappeared at the 41st Taiwan Golden Horse Award ceremony.

Before the ceremony, the MC asked him: "Do you have any confidence in winning today?"

"No."

"Why not?"

"He's here."

Who was the person that made Andy lose his confidence?

"He" is named Tony Leung. At the previous Golden Horse Film Awards, it was Tony who beat Andy at the last moment.
katwoman64

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:10 am    Post subject:

Gosh, Jenny,
what a funny thing!

I am still laughing!

Bye
K

P.S.: I am still looking for the italian magazine with Tony on, going daily to the news-stand, but found none. Who has info please, can give me?

Sadako Sasaki
sparkles_n15

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject:

Amidst all the strong contestants at the last Golden Horse Film Awards, it was Tony who took Best Actor.

At this moment as Andy is answering the reporter's questions, Tony also happens to be sitting beside him.

Everyone has been warmly addressing Chow Yun Fat as 'Fat Jai', Andy as 'Wah Jai' and Tony as 'Wai Jai' for many years now.

Prior to the start of the 41st Golden Horse Film Awards, we have compared the three 'Jai's prospects of taking home the Best Actor award.

Tony: 9 times
31st Golden Horse Film Awards
14th Hong Kong Film Awards
17th Hong Kong Film Awards
3rd Golden Bauhinia Awards
53rd Cannes Festival
20th Hong Kong Film Awards
8th Golden Bauhinia Awards
22nd Hong Kong Film Awards
40th Golden Horse Film Awards

Chow Yun Fat: 6 times
30th Asian Pacific Screen Awards
22nd Golden Horse Film Awards
6th Hong Kong Film Awards
24th Golden Horse Film Awards
7th Hong Kong Film Awards
9th Hong Kong Film Awards

Andy Lau: 4 times
19th Hong Kong Film Awards
6th Golden Bauhinia Awards
10th Hong Kong Film Critics Society Awards
23rd Hong Kong Film Awards

Of the three of them, Chow Yun Fat is the most carefree; Tony is more slow-paced and passionate; Andy displays a variety of talents and has a warm personality.

When Chow Yun Fat went to America, Andy and Tony took the helms as the top actors in Hong Kong.

This is why Tony is no stranger to people.

While based on the number of films, Tony has certainly not filmed as many as Andy, but based on the amount of awards won, Tony is definitely ranked higher.

Andy entered the industry earlier than Tony, but the two rose to stardom around the same time. Years ago when they were both at TVB, they were part of the 'Five Tigers'.

Actually, it would be more correct to say they've been colleagues for the past twenty years.

While in the 'Five Tigers', Andy was placed in the number one position. Felix Wong, Kent Tong, Michael Miu and Tony were ranked in that order after. Tony was the youngest in the group, and not as popular as the others, so naturally he was placed last.

The 'Five Tigers' were immensely popular with the audience until contractual disputes with TVB caused the group to disband. Four of them left TVB one after the other, but because Tony still had to support his family, he agreed to renew his contract for another five years. Filming one series after another was tiring, but it gave Tony the opportunity to gather more experience in acting. He built a strong foundation that became beneficial for his acting work in the future.

Now if you mention the 'Five Tigers', the only name that resonates as highly with Andy would be Tony.

No matter if it was a comedy or a serious drama, whatever role Tony acts in, he fully becomes the character. All his roles have left deep impressions on the audience:

'Day of Being Wild', 'Chungking Express', 'Happy Together', 'In the Mood for Love', '2046'....

If the Hong Kong film industry didn't have Tony, wouldn't we feel lonely?

In the same manner, if Andy Lau didn't have Tony to compete against him in the film industry, it would also be quite lonely.

+++

Isn't it a funny article Kat? I finally read through it in its entirety and I still don't understand the point it was making. Hehehe. Perhaps I will just finish translating some of Tony's comments.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: Awards and nominations of Tony

Awards and nominations

* Asian Film Awards
o 2008 Won Best Actor (Lust, Caution)
* Cannes Film Festival
o 2000 Best Actor (In the Mood for Love)
* Golden Horse Film Festival
o 2007 Best Actor (Lust, Caution)
o 2003 Best Actor (Infernal Affairs)
o 2000 Nominated Best Actor (In the Mood for Love)
o 1994 Best Actor (Chungking Express)
* Hong Kong Film Awards
o 2009 Nominated Best Actor (Red Cliff)
o 2007 Nominated Best Actor (Confession of Pain)
o 2005 Won Best Actor (2046)
o 2003 Won Best Actor (Infernal Affairs)
o 2001 Won Best Actor (In the Mood for Love)
o 1999 Nominated Best Actor (Longest Nite)
o 1998 Won Best Actor (Happy Together)
o 1995 Won Best Actor (Chungking Express)
o 1993 Nominated Best Supporting Actor (Hard-Boiled)
o 1990 Won Best Supporting Actor (My Heart Is That Eternal Rose)
o 1988 Won Best Supporting Actor (People's Hero)
o 1987 Nominated Best Actor (Love Unto Waste)
(9 Best Actor Nominations, 3 Best Supporting Actor Nominations)
* Golden Bauhinia Awards
o 2005 Won Best Actor (2046)
o 2003 Won Best Actor (Infernal Affairs)
o 1998 Won Best Actor (Happy Together)
* Hong Kong Film Critics Society Awards
o 2005 Best Actor (2046)
mary

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject:

Hi sparkles_n15

Thanks for sharing this article with us.
It's both amusing and interesting.
Thanks for your hard work in translating.
Best wishes...mary.
katwoman64

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:17 am    Post subject:

Look, Jenny,

The article ends up being unfair to both Tony and Andy. They are a great pride and joy not only for asian cinema, but for cinema, worldwide.

Probably the author had direction to write a certain number of words, as it often happens, so after a good start he went on rambling aimlessly.

Two evenings ago I watched "Love on a Diet". Lau gave a wonderful performance, but he had a very talented partner too, Sammy Cheng. Both wore a heavy makeup and are "themselves" just in the last scenes. Now, if you remove all the phisical attributes what is left is talent and the eyes. I swear, it was an amazing performance and it ranged from comedy to drama.

Tony seems to make right also a young partner or a so so script, I can't know if Andy has the same ability, don't have the chance to see many of his movies.

I prefer Tony because he is so... soul catching. I suspect that Tony involves himself totally in the various characters, where Andy saves something of himself.

He himself declared, in comparision with Tony (you can find it on the forum somewhere), "that he can't forget that he is Andy Lau".

Plus, they managed their careers in different ways. I suspect that Tony selects very carefully the films he involves himself into, Lau is a legendary workaholic that, between the tight rythms and several commitments, can't humanly go in as deep as Tony.

But Andy Lau is a great actor too. As usual, RESPECT!

Beauty, talent, they have a language of their own, nobody can be left indifferent.

Thank you for your commitment to the forum. Your help is invaluable.
I am still looking for Tony's italian article.

Kissy Kiss

Mimma the Sweated Kat

Sadako Sasaki
In The Mood For Leung

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject:

I've heard about the "rivalry", so I've always wondered if TL and Andy Lau are good friends.
Acting style-wise, they couldn't be more different. TL is understated whereas AL is "grandiose". Interestingly, their acting styles seem to betray their personalities.
I consider TL an actor ( a la Johnny Depp) and Mr. Lau a movie star (a la Tom Cruise).

Thanks for the article and transaltion.
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Articles All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: