TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

Tony's Interview in Harper's Bazaar
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Articles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eri

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:30 am    Post subject:

Thanks Jenny ! Very Happy

Great ! thumbleft
Yuka

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:03 am    Post subject:

Dear Jenny,

Thank you sooooo much for your translation! Very Happy

Yuka
Safran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:21 am    Post subject:

Dear sparkles

I told you before already but have to thank again - only with your help it was possible to enjoy this interview with Tony !
Sunny Greetings
H
katwoman64

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject:

Dear Sparkles,
I love you dearly but,
do you know that one is always better than zero?
So there are no mistakes!!!!
Thank you
Kat

Sadako Sasaki
katwoman64

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject:

Hi Jenny,
it seems that on a lot of values Tony has similar views to mine. One of the things that I tried very hard to teach to my daughter, when she was little and started school, so she started seeing differences with other wealthier children, was to never live thinking of those differences. I told her, "Imagine that you live a whole life trying to have more than your neighbour, more things, more money, a bigger car, a bigger house. Then, out of the blue, the richest italian man becomes your neighbour. In that moment all the cards castle you've built comes crashing on your head. And don't forget that there will always someone richer, smarter or tougher than you. So just live for yourself, to be happy. Do your best and be happy".
Thank you again
K

Sadako Sasaki
Info

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject:

Well done! Jenny. Million thanks!
hamberger362

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject:

Thank you so much for the translations,Jenny Smile
sparkles_n15

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject:

You're very welcome! I'm glad everyone was able to enjoy the article. Very Happy

Kat, I agree with your thoughts. These are valuable lessons in life that you have to experience for yourself in order to gain an understanding. Perhaps my own maturity has long ways to go, but I'm glad I've gotten more insight. Wink

Kudos to you for teaching your daughter at an early age!
katwoman64

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject:

Ah Jenny,

you did a great job, and I am a bad mother.

This I know: life is difficult. If you don't take it just being yourself, your ability to succeed are simply... hindered? Reduced by half?- (don't remember the english term).
Success is being happy to be good at your job. Happy to love and to be loved in turn. What has it got to do with money?

Kisses and Thank you
K

Sadako Sasaki
Lavinia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:04 am    Post subject:

Dear Jenny,
thank you so much, what a great job you did for us! Thanks a lot!

And Tony looks so young, it is unbelievable. But I must say that those pictures with eggplant colour behind him look too sad. It is a bad idea - the eggplant colour, isn't it?

Kat, I always like to read your comments! Your daughter is a happy girl. Unfortunately there are too many parents forcing their kids to join that stupid hunt for success at all costs.
katwoman64

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject:

Hi Jenny and Lavinia,

don't get me wrong: ambition IS a good thing (said from a catholic gives the chills) because it is what pushes men onward, from the wooden rafts to the beautiful fiberglass yachts. But it is a wasted effort if you do it because you are in an impossible competition with... I don't know... the magazine starlette, or your neighbour, or Barak Obama.

On the photos, I have to say that I like them, eggplant color included.

Tony portraits the ultimate Tall, Dark & Dangerous... yum yum (don't get me wrong, I'm married, not blind!)

Kisses
K

Sadako Sasaki
katwoman64

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject:

Hi everybody
I needed few days (I'm not the sharpest blade in the drawer) but I think that I know what Tony meant with this

"... I know there is still someone in front of me. I don't want to be first, I only wish to come in second."

I think he meant that, when you reach the peak in your profession, at the same time you've reached the bottom line. And what comes after is only repetition, boredom, boredom and utter boredom.

Also if the task is menial, we look at our colleague to see if he has a better way, or a more creative outcome. Then, one day, you go and discover that there is no one around to show you anything. It is you that have to do all the showing. The day after you don't want to go anymore.

I think that Tony espressed his need - intellectual need - to feel curiosity when taking on a new project.
After all these years he still needs a work that is challenging to be appealing.
This attitude of his is what makes him a great man and a great professional.

Only notation: do you think that we have to tell Tony that there is a thing called "Libido Docendi"? Nah, if he wants to have children he will soon know by himself!

Bye
K

Sadako Sasaki
Eri

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject:

Dear Kat and everyone,

Interpretation of Tony's "... I know there is still someone in front of me. I don't want to be first, I only wish to come in second."

In my opinion, it is very much like Tony. As he always says, he is not competing with anyone, just try to improve himself for his satisfaction, achievement and enjoying that process, so being the first is not his goal.
Also he is a very modest person, he doesn't feel comfortable to be seen as No 1.

Whatever people say, if Tony wish to come in second, that's probably better for him. Just like a Marathon runner following behind the top runner to avoid strong wind and run comfortably, it probably is the way with wisdom. Wink
katwoman64

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, that's about the pressure.

But I still think that there's more.

The intellectual need to have someting or someone to look up to...

Kiss
K

Sadako Sasaki
Eri

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject:

Dear Kat,

Um~m, sorry to be persistent.
I just want to say, maybe Tony is looking for opportunity to improve himself as an actor and as a person, but I don't think he is looking up to someone, (I think being the second doesn't have to mean looking up to the first.) because he knows everyone's style and way of thinking are different, and no point in looking up someone else.
I still think Tony is a person who simply feel comfortable being the second (because he is too modest).

I also don't look up anyone and I am always being myself. As you said before, no point in comparing yourself with other people. "Just try your best and be happy." That's also Tony's way.
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Articles All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: