TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

New WKW - First Generation Master

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:55 am    Post subject: New WKW - First Generation Master

Hopes are raised for Bridgette Lin comeback; leads Tony Leong and Jay Chou to act in 'First Generation Master'

Source: Sohu http://yule.sohu.com/20090121/n261874344.shtml

Date: Wednesday January 21, 2009

Translated by Initial E @ http://asianfanatics.net/forum/Hopes-are-raised-for-Bridgette-Lin-comeback-leads-Tony-Leong-and-Jay-Chou-to-act-in-First-Generation-Master--talk619741.html

Bridgette Lin (林青霞), whom has been retired from the entertainment industry, has finally reappeared in the spotlight again. Wong Kar Wai (王家卫) is going to be directing a new movie, 'First Generation Master 一代宗师', and is planning for three big shots to be in it: Bridgette Lin, Tony Leung (梁朝伟), and Jay Chou (周杰伦). If this pairing is successful, it will definitely be this year's most anticipated Chinese movie.

According to Taiwan's 'United Daily News', Bridgette Lin's come back is definitely not just a dream for her many fans. There are rumours that for Wong Kar Wai's new movie, 'First Generation Master', he had invited her to be the main female lead. The type of character is kept a secret, but it will be fresh and interesting, having to do with a woman masquerading as a man. That, added to the script and cast, really tempted Bridgette Lin.

'First Generation Master' is a movie that Wong Kar Wai announced that he would film four years ago. At the start, it was planned that Tony Leong would act as a martial arts master, 'Ye Wen 叶问'. Because this is a true story, and needed to be thought through very carefully, Tony Leung first accepted John Woo's (吴宇森) offer to star in 'Red Cliff 赤壁'. Later on, he started to concentrate on preparing for the role, even hiring a martial arts expert to teach him, and he would practice every Friday.

Wong Kar Wai has never filmed a martial arts movie before, and in order to make the martial arts moves look more steady, he went to Beijing last year and consulted 'Beggar So 苏乞儿's director Yuan He Ping (袁和平). He invited him to be the martial arts director for the movie, and even met Jay Chou, and now he hopes that Jay would be able to act in 'First Generation Master'.

Wu Si Yuan (吴思远), who has directed other films such as 'Song Dynasty 宋家皇朝' and 'New Dragon Inn 新龙门客栈' in Mainland China, has been invited to be in the production team for 'First Generation Master'. Last year when he attended Taiwan's Golden Horse Awards, he revealed that he knew long ago that Wong Kar Wai was looking to invite Jay Chou to act as Ye Wen's disciple, Bruce Lee (李小龙).

Jay's company, JVR Records, expressed that the producers of 'First Generation Master' had indeed invited Jay to star in it, but in the next half of the year, Jay will be busy filming the movie 'Ci Ling 刺陵'. Next year, he will be working on his next album, and there is a possibility that he would start another concert tour. Right now, it looks like time is preventing Jay from starring in the film.

After filming '2046' in 2004, Wong Kar Wai hasn't filmed a mandarin movie till now. 'First Generation Master' will be a new milestone in his career. This is his first time filming a martial arts film, and it will be taken from a true story. If he is successful in getting Bridgette Lin to end her retirement to film her 101st movie, and pairing her together with Jay Chou, whom she admires, with Tony Leung as well, 'First Generation Master' will truly become a legend.
Safran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject:

Wow, sounds very interesting - Thank you for the good news summertime and let us hope !
summertime

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject:

You're welcome Safran Smile
Tony Obsessed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:57 am    Post subject:

This isn't the film where Tony will play Ip Man is it? I love Jay as well as Tony and would be excited to see them both on screen together. I heard recently that Jay has been offered the role of Bruce Lee in the Donnie Yen Ip Man sequel. If this is anything to go by it sounds like he might be too busy with his music career to accept the part. Does that mean he's been approched by Kar-Wai as well? My Mum has always said he would make a good Bruce Lee though.
Safran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:08 am    Post subject:

Dear Tony Obsessed - this is the WKW film about Ip Man !
Tony Obsessed

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:31 am    Post subject:

Thanks for clearing this up. I wasn't sure because I had heard from two different sources that Jay Chou was being considered to play Bruce Lee by Wong Kar-Wai and Wilson Yip. I've also heard Aaron Kwok is also a hot name in the running to play Lee (in the Yip film), but I personally think he's totally wrong for the part and Jay or an unknown actor would be a better choice.
summertime

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject:

Gong Li to be female lead in Wong Kar Wai's "The Grand Master"

Xin.sg - Thursday, February 12

Ip Chun, son of Wing Chun's grandmaster Ip Man, said, Wong Kar Wai's version of movie "Ip Man" will start its shooting in June this year and Gong Li may be the female lead of the movie instead of Brigitte Lin. However, Gong will not be acting as Ip Man's wife but a female master of another form of martial art from Foshan.

In Wong's version of the movie, titled "The Grand Master", Ip Man's wife will not be featured. If this is true, Lin, who was initially rumored to be taking on the role, will not be making appearance. However, Ip Chun was caution with his words during the interview and said that Wong has not finalized his script and Gong's role has yet to be confirmed.

Ip Chun expressed regret that Donnie Yen's version of "Ip Man" was not filmed in Foshan; he also said he will attempt to get Wong to film "The Grand Master" in Foshan so as to drive tourism to the area.

Ip thus invited Wong to Foshan to experience their rich martial arts culture and for research purposes.

Male lead of "The Grand Master" Tony Leung verified in an interview with Hong Kong media that the film will be shot in June. "My current task is to be practicing Wing Chun diligently," he said.

With respect to the comparison between Yen and himself, Leung was humble and said that his skills cannot be compared to Yen. "I believe that Wilson Yip and Wong Kar Wai's versions will be very different as they have different strengths and skills in moviemaking," Leung said.

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/xin/20090212/ten-608-gong-li-female-lead-wong-kar-wai-3c1b9bc.html
Safran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: The Grand Master

Thank you summertime for always being current !
Gong Li wouldn´t be a bad alternative if Brigitte Lin cancels - we´ll
see. Main thing is Tony as leading part !!!
We should trust Grand Master WKW´s experience, ability and taste - let´s surprise!
Bye
katwoman64

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:49 am    Post subject:

Well,
all directors choose their actors for what the can give. So I'm not worried about the sure comparision between Yen and Tony. It is impossible to reach the skill of someone that practises a sport from a very young age. Not useful to even try. But WKW is a soulsearcher, so surely Tony will have a role cut out for him.
Litterally custom-made.
I know that chinese people share this big cultural heritage about martial arts. But probably a WKW-Tony's film would be better for an international audience.
Kisses to everyone
K
summertime

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:38 am    Post subject:

You're welcome Safran Smile
Tony Obsessed

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject:

With regards to Jay Chou's possible presence in this project, I heard today on jaychoustudio.com that he denied being approached by Wilson Yip for the Yen film but said that he still considering the offer of playing Bruce Lee, so this is probably likely that said offer is from WKW! For those who don't know much about Jay, Bruce Lee is his childhood hero, so his schedule permitting, this would be a dream opportunately for him to undertake! Kung Fu Hustle and Shaolin Soccer star Chan Kwok Kwan http://www.lovehkfilm.com/people/chan_kwok_kwan.htm (Danny Chan in English) is playing Lee in The Legend of Bruce Lee TV series, he would be a great choice for the WKW film, but people would probably not want to see him play Bruce Lee more than once. My Mum said when I watched Kung Fu Hustle with her that the resemblance is uncanny!
summertime

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject:

Jay Chou rejects the role as Bruce Lee

Xin.sg - Thursday, February 19

Owing to tight schedule, Taiwanese pop idol Jay Chou had to decline offer to cast as his own idol, Bruce Lee, in Wong Kar Wai's movie "The Grand Master".

Besides Wong's proposal, Wilson Yip, director of "Ip Man 2" has also specifically named Chou to take on the role as Bruce Lee in his movie; Chou's company JVR Music however commented that they have yet to received Yip's invite.

Chou's heavy involvement as director and male lead actor in his own sci-fi drama production "Panda Heroes" formed part of the reason why he could not take on Wong's movie. On the drama's press conference held in Taipei on Tuesday, he announced that several young artistes from Greater China would be casting in the drama, including his rumored girlfriend Jessie Jiang. "The female lead from Taiwan was decided internally. For China, I think Zhou Xun most fit the bill but she is too popular. A new face with long hair and big eyes is more manageable," he said.

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/xin/20090219/ten-654-jay-chou-rejects-role-bruce-lee-3c1b9bc.html
katwoman64

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject:

Hi everybody,
Here's a Wong Kar Wai quote:

"...normally, in the normal process (or what film school told you) is: have a script first; and then you have the characters, you have the role; and try to find someone to play that role.

And I don’t like that. I prefer to custom-make my roles for the characters, for the actors, because I have that person in my mind. (...) Then I will make certain changes of these characters, based on my observations of these actresses and actors..."

So, whatever will come out of this film it would be cut exactly right for Tony.

Kisses everyone
Kat

Sadako Sasaki
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Movies All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: