TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

Tony pulls no punches

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> The Latest Tony News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Tony pulls no punches

Tony pulls no punches

The Star Online > eCentral > Movies

Sunday November 16, 2008

By CLARA CHOW

Tony Leung is all fight these days as he gets ready for his role as Bruce Lee’s teacher.

HONG Kong actor Tony Leung Chiu Wai may have just gotten married, but instead of basking in newly-wedded bliss, his recent preoccupation has been with fighting.

At a press conference with some 300 Chinese and Asia-Pacific media members to launch Montblanc’s latest luxury chronograph watch on Nov 7, the multi-award-winning actor said he has been pulling eight-hour days working out for his role as Bruce Lee’s martial arts teacher.

Grandmaster Yip Man popularised the Wing Chun style of gongfu, and his biopic by director Wong Kar Wai will begin filming next autumn.

Leung, 46, added in Mandarin: “Making an action film requires you to have a certain physique, so I have to at least convince myself that I am a very good fighter.”

Asked why pre-production for the film has dragged on for about six years, the actor, who is Wong’s favourite leading man and firm friend, said: “Each time we wanted to start doing it, I was committed to another role. But now, I’ve stopped taking on new films, turning down some 10 projects. I want to concentrate on this.”Looking dapper in a black leather jacket-and-tie ensemble, he answered previously screened questions posed by an emcee onstage with his usual quiet serenity.

But Hong Kong’s tabloid writers perked up when the actor stated innocuously that he was planning to go on a ski holiday with friends later this year.

Scribes later interpreted this as a sign that his actress wife Carina Lau was not pregnant as previously rumoured.

The self-confessed perfectionist modestly said he does not feel he has made any masterpieces in his career.

However, he does not mind being a producer of or endorsing works by young, emerging talent.

But there is a caveat.

“Being an actor takes a lifetime. You can’t do everything at once,” he said.

Also present at the event was South Korean pop idol Rain, who was dressed in a grey suit and T-shirt, and sporting a sleek red hairdo.

In a separate chat through an interpreter, the lanky singer-actor, 26, told the emcee that he would buy a watch like Montblanc’s latest model to reward himself for working so hard, adding that he spent most of his time attending meetings.

When pressed, he admitted he would also get it for his fiancee – if he has one.

His ideal woman? “I like girls who are kawaii-style (cute in Japanese), innocent and pure.” – The Straits Times, Singapore / Asia News Network

http://www.star-ecentral.com/services/sprinterfriendly.asp?file=/2008/11/16/movies/2510689&sec=movies
Tony Obsessed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject:

This is an interesting article thanks for posting it. Tony has told me though that the film will be made in the Spring, not Autumn. I'd rather believe what comes out of the horse's mouth. Training 8 hours a day! No wonder he hasn't been seen round these parts lately. Also was he speaking Mandarin instead of Cantonese here because he was in Beijing, not Hong Kong?
Tony Grrl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject:

Well well, Tony must be quite fit to take on such a role. I'm looking forward to this film. However, I do wish he would do another comedy. But I guess we should be thankful he is still interested in making films at all Laughing

TLCW Fan UK
Tony Obsessed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:57 am    Post subject:

Tony Grrl wrote:
However, I do wish he would do another comedy.

I think it would be great to see Tony do another Chinese Odyssey style comedy in the future, but I feel that these days he probably regards himself as a more mature and serious sort of actor. The last comedy I have heard of him appearing in was My Lucky Star (which I've yet to see, from 5 years ago) or maybe he just hasn't been offered the right script yet. You should ask him about this when he comes on the board next, Tony Grrl.
Info

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Tony likes to do comedy too, it's just too difficult to find the right script.
summertime

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject:

Tony Obsessed wrote:
This is an interesting article thanks for posting it. Tony has told me though that the film will be made in the Spring, not Autumn. I'd rather believe what comes out of the horse's mouth. Training 8 hours a day! No wonder he hasn't been seen round these parts lately. Also was he speaking Mandarin instead of Cantonese here because he was in Beijing, not Hong Kong?

You're welcome - yes, he would speak Mandarin in Beijing. He would also respond in the same language that the question was asked - ie. Cantonese, if there were Hong Kong reporters present; English, for reporters from other Asian countries etc..
Tony Obsessed

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject:

I don't think this article has been posted already, but it's on the same topic. http://batgwa.com/story.php?id=1356

Tony Leung Learns Wing Chun

26 November 2008
Emma Lam

New film Miao Miao held a celebrity screening today, attended by some big names in the movie world, including Tony Leung, Chilam Cheung, Eric Kot, Chui Tien-You and Loretta Chow.

The film is a bittersweet romantic comedy from Taiwan that depicts teenage challenges through the eyes of an 18-year old student.

Tony has put on some weight recently and he smiled that he has gained a few pounds during his recent hiatus, during which he has taken time out for relaxation. Asked when he will be starting work on his next martial arts project Yip Man, Tony replied that this should start filming in about six months. Asked about reports that the film's director Wong Kar Wai has instructed him to get a six-pack in order to play the Wing Chun grandmaster, Tony said that this takes time and he has been practising the martial art and working out already, but is still in the early stages.

Asked if he has less time to start a family now that he is preparing for the film, Tony said that he will go with nature's will and will never put his filming off for this reason because he is not the one who has to bear the child.
Lavinia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject:

edit

Last edited by Lavinia on Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:37 am; edited 1 time in total
katwoman64

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject:

Hi,
I don't know you, but it makes me sad that everytime Tony so much as breathes everyone feels he or she has the right to ask embarassing questions. Someone steals photos when he goes out with friends, some other questions his fitness, another draws conclusions about his family very private businesses. And no one thinks that is trumping over the borders of respect for his private and personal.
Is really this part of being appreciated and loved?
I don't think so. Tony is a great actor. I don't think that the sale of his soul was in his job description. Is it possible that his privacy (family, friends, weight gains or losses) can be left well alone?
Or am I wrong?
Doubtful Kat
P.S.: I doubt that the inches around his waist change anything. I always thought that acting is a brain matter. Now, nobody's seen fat around Tony's brain...
Safran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject:

Dear kat

You are so right , once more you spoke out what I am thinking too !

We, who admire him - his fans - sometimes make his life so hard and often don´t respect the borders to his privacy - like paparazzis of gossip press!
Very sad, but I am quite shore, professional as he is, he has learned to handle this. He himself answered once (in other connection) in this forum: "No pain no gain!".
He has no other chance:Trying other characters, changing roles, ...acting is his way to survive life - Nevertheless the prize is high and we should
be grateful and respectful.
Thanks
katwoman64

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:43 am    Post subject:

Hi,
Back to Tony's state of fitness,
the man is in his mid-forties. He should be showing signs of wear and tear by now. A trace of flab.
There isn't the slightest sign of flab about him. He looks... How do the young women call it... ripped?
Buffed, in the old parlance.
Sexy in anyone's vernacular.
Bye
Kat
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> The Latest Tony News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: