TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

Everytime I come here...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Get to know each other
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lavinia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Everytime I come here...

Everytime I come here, I am completely alone here. Confused
I know that it is mainly because each of us is from a different part of the world. And it looks like there is a new registered member almost everyday and it's great. But still it seems like this is a quiet place. Is there a special time here when people come and meet and talk?
Tony Obsessed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject:

I do agree that this forum is quiet at times, but like you've already said it's because we're in different time zones. Whenever Tony posts there's always a frenzy here, but he hasn't been on for a while due to his training for his next role in Wong Kar-Wai's film on Ip Man (Bruce Lee's Kung Fu Master). I hope he comes on again soon though, whenever he has a spare minute.
D-love

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject:

I feel that way to most of the time. Maybe because I live on the east coast of the US, so many times when I log in I get news and other topics late. Plus I work the night shift at my job 9 pm to 9 am. That makes a difference as well.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject:

Hi Lavinia,
Merry Christmas!

There's a small mistery about your name: are you a Danielle?
Did you choose your nick because you love classic literature, i.e. Virgilo's Eneide?
Hope so, loved to translate, study and analyze that book (studied quite extensively).
A kiss and a hug
Mimma the Monkey Kat

P.S.: I choose my Nick after Tennessee Williams "The Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
Lavinia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Hi Kat,
my name is Daniela and yes, I chose my nick because of classic literature.
Merry Christmas!!!! Very Happy
katwoman64

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject:

Dear Lavinia,
I'm surprised of your love for the classics. I find it unusual.
I mean, in Italy we have high schools with fixed curricula. Mine had a part that is common more or less to all the high schools, and a lot of hours of classes of ancient greek and latin. We studied mostly the grammar of those dead languages for the first two years to be able in the following three years to translate and analyze the body of work of several writers and poets. My husband and daughter frequented the same kind of high school. We have these huge vocabularies. The thing is that we studied not only the classics, but also very intensely italian and foreign literatures. The school is dedicated to this and in the end you can't do without. That's the reason I read nonstop. Reading and re-reading some authors I can say that their fame was well earned.
So yes, I'm happily surprised that someone so far from my country knows and loves the same things that I love.
Kisses and Happy New Year
Mimma the Kat
Lavinia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject:

Quote:
We studied mostly the grammar of those dead languages for the first two years to be able in the following three years to translate and analyze the body of work of several writers and poets.

Wow, this is great, I truly envy you! I wanted to study history, but ended up studying something completely different. But history, literature, music, films, sport and scents are my main hobbies. These are the hobbies I need to enjoy almost everyday (just for few minutes).

Quote:
I'm surprised of your love for the classics. I find it unusual.

Oh, I am not too knowledgeable, just normal. Wink
katwoman64

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject:

Dear Lavinia,
LOL: I told my daughter that you envied us and she asked if you please would like to come here and translate some Teognides for her, to just, you know, feel the pleasure!
I have to say that I didn't feel very lucky at the time. So now I understand why you found Troy so wrong. Omero was a great source of happiness for me. So far today I sometimes think to that "dawn with rosy fingers" or to "the sea of the color of wine (when it is dark)" fondly. I know that reading I heard the sound of the sea under the moonlight and really felt the chill and the hope of a new day at dawn. For the same reason I analyze the language, style and rithm of a story, however it is told. In the end it became part of who I am, of the way I see the world. I find that many of Tony's films have a very solid narrative structure. He's good, but his directors are good too.
Kisses and Happy 2009
Kat
katwoman64

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject:

By the Way,
do you know what is Helga up to in these days?
I'm starting to think that we have to unite our forces and give her a laptop for a present, so she can write also when she has guests (that is quite often).........
If you hear from her, send my hugs and a Big Happy New Year!!!!
Kisses
Kat
P.S.: a small giambo by Archiloco that I love:
"To play with you, like to drink when thirsty -
- This I need"
Lavinia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:46 am    Post subject:

Thank you, Kat, for this little poem. I love poems. For example I like Catullus' - Carmen 13:
http://rudy.negenborn.net/catullus/text2/e13.htm
But I don't know how correct this translation is. As I wrote I love perfumes and this poem by Catullus is often used by reviewers of perfumes, when they write about Miss Dior.
And this is my favourite poem too, it is written by ancient Japanese poet and is used in one book about perfumes to descibe Mitsouko (Guerlain):

"One breath of her perfume and your city is lost.

Another and you forfeit a kingdom."

Happy year 2009
Daniela
P.S. I am sure, Helga is OK. Maybe she is busy to write, but I guess she reads our messages here.
Wink
Safran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:17 am    Post subject: Dear Mimma and Daniela

Wish you both a special HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!!!!

Just watche the New Years Concert 2009 with our fantanstic "Wiener Philharmoniker" conducted from Daniel Barenboim !
Let us take their energy and drive - but also the calm, cheerful sentiment
into year 2009 !
Good Luck for our beloved Tony!
Kisses and Hugs and a glass of Champagne
Helga
katwoman64

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:19 am    Post subject:

Hi to you both Helga and Daniela,
Happy 2009!
To Helga: the first thing that I do every 1 of January is to get on the tv to see the concert. Have you noticed the small purple thing on the lapels of many musicians? It's a protest sign because, thanks to the crisis, the government reduced the funding for the orchestra.
To Daniela: the carmen is well translated. The most important thing in a translation is to get the same wit and style of the original author, so they did well. I went to look at the text. When you read it you really want to feel the divine scent of Lesbia. Given that we can't, we have to make do with reading the composition in its singular frame of a reversed invitation, with its lively and sincere feeling of frendship at its core, its funny and ironic characterization. In this carmen there is the whole human horizon in which Catullo's life is determined: friends and the woman. Good choyce, well done!
I have a question about scents you can help me with: given that my husband is so sick I feel deprehessed. I find solace in two scents: jasmine and orange flowers. This is because I'm born in Sicily, and these are the oldest memories of a happy childhood. So they never fail to make me feel happy. This last Christmas I had "Armani Code", that is intense in orange flowers essence. I wonder if there are others commercial perfumes with both, jasmine and o.f.. I know that Chanel n°5 has a good Jasmine tone and also Poison of Dior. I look forward to your better knowledge of perfumes.
Now I have to stop to go through my mail because my home is a mess and dirty, so first comes first: cleaning.
Kisses to both
The Cleaning Whiz Kat
Lavinia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject:

Quote:
In this carmen there is the whole human horizon in which Catullo's life is determined: friends and the woman.

Oh, you wrote it exactly.

The thing with scents is never easy, you simply have to go to the nearest perfume shop and try. I can give you tips, but you have to spray it on your skin (forearm) and sniff it - it needs some time to decide. Wink

The Body Shop has an oil Neroli Jasmine - really nice oil, but their White Musk is their bestseller, very calming scent. Try both!
Burberry - London - my lovely jasmine scent - it is great while sprayed in hair, it is this type of dewy jasmine:
http://www.basenotes.net/ID26124491.html
Boucheron - Boucheron - their first scent, you can make no mistake with this jasmine and orange blossom:
http://www.natperfume.com/Magasin/produits/photos/boucheronf.jpg
Jean Desprez - Bal a Versailles - another jasmine and orange blossom favourite scent:
http://www.basenotes.net/ID10211823.html
Guerlain - L'Heure Bleue - old classic:
http://www.basenotes.net/ID10211615.html
Bvlgari - Jasmin Noir - their new 2008 scent, I didn't like it at first, but then started to like it more and more:
http://nowsmellthis.blogharbor.com/blog/_archives/2008/7/7/3779509.html
Try them, give them a time and then we will see. Six pieces is enough to start with. Let me know and then we can continue...
Wink Good luck!

Last edited by Lavinia on Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lavinia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:45 am    Post subject:

BTW If you want you can write me another little poem like you did before, I love poems.

Langston Hughes - Dreams

Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird
That cannot fly.
Hold fast to dreams
For when dreams go
Life is a barren field
Frozen with snow.
katwoman64

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:00 am    Post subject:

Dear Lavi-Daniela,
Thank you for the tips about perfumes. I will go hunting for the testers and try them on one by one. This is really important for me.
I have to say you this: my mother and my daughter share the same naturally scented skin. I don't remember once that I went to kiss them and I didn't feel this divine scent on them. How lucky, don't you think?
I love poems. I loved especially the second that you wrote, "...one smell and you forfeit...".
I love Haikus. They are these short japanese poems, just seventeen syllabs, shared in groups of five, seven and five, mostly directed to individual nature's contemplation. They are difficult to translate because of the metric.
About my "top ten", some are longish, so I need time to copy them. One just as an appetizer, by Shelley:

"Oh! Lift me as a wave, a leaf, a cloud!
I fall upon the thorns of life! I bleed!"

Kisses & Hugs
Kat
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Get to know each other All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: