TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

Red Cliff Press Conference in Tokyo

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> The Latest Tony News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eri

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:49 am    Post subject: Red Cliff Press Conference in Tokyo

On 6th Aug, I (with some of Tony's fans) sneaked into the venue of the Red Cliff Press Conference at Rits Carlton Hotel in Tokyo.

(Actually some people promoting Red Cliff on internet were invited to, so I write this to contribute for this purpose a little as a temporary reporter for www.tonyleung. )

We watched Red Cliff trailer (with English narration) first, then Mr. Woo, Tony, Takeshi, Chan Chen, Chi Lin and Shido appeared on the stage.

Starting with photo session. A lot of Photographers were continuously taking photos for some time.

Then the interview started. At first, usual questions about movie production which was already told in many other places before. (so I am not writing about these again.)

The thing I should mention specially is ; John Woo was very happy to see so many people attending this press conference. He thanked all of us and said, "Every time, when I encounter difficulties in making films, I will recall each of your faces and remember how enthusiastic you are and it is very encouraging for me".

Also it was his long term dream to make a film about Red Cliff so he didn't want to compromise any scene used in this film to reduce the cost because this means wasting everyone's effort to make a good film.
Money is not the main concern, so he invested his own money when the budget has to be increased.
(He said usually Hollywood films are made with strict budget control, so if one scene's cost is exceeding the limit, other scene has to be sacrificed, however he didn't want this for Red Cliff.)

One question was "I've heard Mr. Woo spent his own money, could you recover the money you invested already ?" to John Woo.

And "Also what others think about Mr. Woo spent his own money to make this film?" to the others.

John Woo answered jokingly " If this is going to be a big hit in Japan, I will be able to recover the money I invested".
"I've been working on Red Cliff for 3 years by now and all I get is 2 meals a day. But this film is more important than money."

Tony also joked "I'd also heard Mr.Woo invested his own money, but I didn't investigate if he actually paid the money or not, because I thought studying about my role was more important for me and I should prepare for the role rather than the investigation." (I laughed quite loud when I heard this. Tony has a nice sense of humor.) Very Happy

To be continued.

Last edited by Eri on Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Tony Obsessed

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:59 am    Post subject:

Wow! I'm really envious of you, Eri. Mr. Green Did you take any pictures of Tony yourself or get to meet him? If you took any pictures of him, please post them. Very Happy
Info

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:23 am    Post subject:

Thanks Eri for sharing with us!
summertime

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject:

Thank you Eri Smile
Eri

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject:

Another thing I remember is that there was an unusual question like ;
These characters in Red Cliff are fighting for their countries or lords shouldering a heavy burden, and The Beijing Olympic games are opening very soon where the entrants are also competing for their countries, what would you say to them?

Tony looked a little uneasy to answer this question, (unexpected perhaps ?) and after in thought for a while, he said "I hope everyone is happy and try their best."

Takeshi Kaneshiro also answered the same question "I know it is important for them but I think it is cruel to make them think like that. It is the best for them to enjoy the games and also enjoy Chinese food while they are staying in Beijing." (I love these comments.)

Very Happy

I will write again if I remember any more.
Eri

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject:

Tony Obsessed,

When I tried to take some photos, suddenly my camera stopped working properly, so I couldn't take any photos. Dizzy

Anyway, there are lots of good photos on internet taken by professionals. Laughing

Tony was very busy this time, and even after the press conference, he had to do a lot of interviews, so we couldn't see Tony personally however Tony saw us and waved to us when he was on stage. Wink

info and summertime,

Hope you enjoyed. I would like to share something which is not mentioned by others here. Very Happy
Tony Obsessed

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:38 am    Post subject:

Eri wrote:
Tony saw us and waved to us when he was on stage.

How exciting! Did he wave at you because you called out to him that you were from this forum? BTW how close to Tony were you, just out of interest? Shame your camera broke so we couldn't see any pictures of your's, Eri. Sad
karengoh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:39 am    Post subject:

Thanks Eri for sharing with us your experience, we really enjoyed the details.
Eri wrote:
When I tried to take some photos, suddenly my camera stopped working properly, so I couldn't take any photos. Dizzy

Well, this happen most of the time, the unexpected when you are too excited and worried. Wink Its OK we know you tried your best.
Eri wrote:
Tony was very busy this time, and even after the press conference, he had to do a lot of interviews, so we couldn't see Tony personally however Tony saw us and waved to us when he was on stage. Wink

Sad Uugh too bad he is busy or he else he will surely meet you all.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:06 am    Post subject:

Video:
http://www.news.janjan.jp/movie/stream/080806_redcliff_pc.php (full)
http://trend.gyao.jp/event/entry-1582.html
Eri

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:28 am    Post subject:

Tony Obsessed,

We were close enough to see Tony's facial expressions. (very cute ! Very Happy )

I didn't call out "Tony" so loud (only quietly) and waved at him instead.

Karen,

Thanks.
Tony is probably coming to Tokyo again in October for Tokyo International Film Festival, so we all hope Tony is not going to be too busy next time. Wink
Tony Obsessed

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:56 am    Post subject:

Eri wrote:

We were close enough to see Tony's facial expressions. (very cute ! Very Happy )

Ooh, lucky you! I'm so jealous. Mr. Green I wish I could have been there with you all, but sadly I don't live anywhere near Japan! I can only hope he comes to England soon instead.
Eri

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject:

For Cantonese speakers. (Speaking Japanese parts with Chinese subtitle)

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=kfGXcciamWw&feature=related

This reminded me that Shido Nakamura said "Tony was not so talkative but very kind and always smiling during shooting this film just like today." "I got some presents from Tony on the last day we were together, and I treasured them very much."

Last edited by Eri on Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eri

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Tony Obsessed,

You never know. Tony might go to England for Red Cliff promotion in the future. Very Happy
eliza bennet

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:06 am    Post subject:

Eri domo arigato gozai masu for your nice report.

How was Kaneshiro Takeshi? He is one of the people I would like to see in person (he is so flawlessly beautiful on screen that I'd want to know if it is real Smile )
Tony Grrl

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:38 am    Post subject:

Oh I am well jealous!! I'm glad he waved at you. Smile Thanks for sharing this news and giving us an insight into the press conference.

TLCW Fan UK
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> The Latest Tony News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: