TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

Ang Lee, Tang Wei Stir Up Seoul

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:20 am    Post subject: Ang Lee, Tang Wei Stir Up Seoul

10-29-2007 18:21

Ang Lee, Tang Wei Stir Up Seoul

By Lee Hyo-won

Staff Reporter

Celebrated director Ang Lee and actress Tang Wei, the heroine of his latest work "Lust, Caution'' created a stir in Seoul when they visited for the movie's release here. The maker of "Brokeback Mountain'' spoke with much affection ― and in great length ― about his erotic spy story, which he said is like a "sister'' to his gay cowboy movie.

"Lust, Caution'' takes place in 1942 Japanese-occupied China. It traces the dangerous liaison between a beautiful undercover resistance fighter (Tang Wei) and a high-ranking Chinese official (Tony Leung). But things get complicated when the young woman falls for her target.

Inspired by a short story by Eileen Chang, the movie made headlines for not only winning the Golden Lion at Venice recently, but for also landing an NC-17 rating in the United States for featuring a lengthy and dramatic love scene.

"Maybe it's because of my midlife crisis,'' said the director, drawing explosive laughter from reporters during a press conference at a Seoul hotel, Monday. "Personally, I've maintained a very normal and even conservative attitude about love, and perhaps I wanted to express something I have never expressed or experienced before.

"The love scenes are crucial not because they depict sex, but because they express the pure emotions, such as ungraspable love, like in `Brokeback Mountain,'' he said. "('Lust, Caution') is of course different. It stems from lust, so the love scene was much more explicit'' said Lee, suggesting that if "Brokeback Mountain's'' love and "Lust's'' lust are like two sides of the same coin, or "like sisters.''

"The movie received an NC-17 rating, which poses many restraints in terms of screening, so my heart was heavy,'' said Lee. "But I was ecstatic to win the award for Best Picture at Venice because it meant that the film's artistic merits were being recognized ― especially since all seven members of the jury were filmmakers themselves.''

Meanwhile, Tang Wei, who had to act out the lengthy love scene said she was extremely embarrassed at first.

"But it was very carefully orchestrated, and the director and (Tony Leung) gave much support,'' she said. "The love scene is very important because it shows the emotional development between the characters. It also expresses things that cannot be expressed in words. It can be love, or it can be something that transcends love.''

Tang added that the notoriously lengthy love scene was shot over 11 days, almost half a day each. But each time they went into shooting she had to start afresh. She added that the scene played an important role for the rest of the film. It was one of the first scenes that were shot, and so it deepened the understanding between the characters.

The movie is undoubtedly one of this year's most anticipated works, particularly since Lee employed a fresh new face for his female lead.

"I am very satisfied with her acting,'' said the director, who explained that after seeing a few actresses he knew he needed a beginner for the role. He saw many young actresses but said he knew Tang was the one when he first saw her.

"When I first saw her, I felt she perfectly matched the character in the novel. She seems soft on the outside but possesses incredible inner strength,'' he said. Yet, he said he was not completely confident about her acting, even throughout the shooting. "But, after finishing the film I was very satisfied, especially seeing that she gave the film a certain novelty,'' he said.

To this, the leading lady said, "To be quite frank, I didn't really have a clear idea of what the movie was about at first, even though I had read the novel. It was only at the fifth audition that I thought it was going to be a great movie.

"It's a role that every actress dreams about, a once in a lifetime opportunity… Working with such an amazing director and actors, I was able to experience all that an actor possibly could. (Lee) enabled to break down and draw out emotions inside me that I didn't even know existed,'' said the 28-year-old actress.

The former Miss China University also explained the profound effect the film had on her life. "I lived the life of my character for eight months, who was living through a war. It made me realize how grateful and happy I should be with my own life,'' she said.

"I am very happy to be here,'' said the director. The last time the director was here was seven years ago for the release of the international hit "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.'' The V.I.P. preview at a Seoul theater on Sunday had created a great stir as hordes of reporters tried to catch Lee and the beautiful Tang on the red carpet.

Lee said that the film's opening here is special in that Korea too was once invaded by Japan, and can thus relate to the movie. "I grew up in Taiwan, and feel a brotherly bond with Korea,'' he said.

Lee and Tang will visit audience at a special screening of "Lust, Caution'' Tuesday at Daehan Theater as part of the Chungmuro International Film Festival in Seoul (CHIFFS). The film will open across theaters here Nov. 8.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/art/2007/10/141_12731.html
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Movies All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: