TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

Just saw Infernal Affairs for first time
Goto page Previous  1, 2

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony Obsessed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:34 am    Post subject:

My friend Kathrine has seen Infernal Affairs now and said although it was good, it was very complicated and seeing the Hollywood version first helped her follow it a bit better. Kat also commented that she would probably watch IA again to understand it a bit better. She seemed to like The Departed and IA about the same, but she said in her opinion that In The Mood For Love and 2046 (which I had previously shown her) were better films than this!
katwoman64

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:57 am    Post subject:

Hi Eve!
I can understand your friends impressions. I would like that you see for yourself, because you are especially interested and used to Tony's acting. In "ITMFL" and "2046", we have an intimate Tony, a very essence of what his emotional spectrum is. Infernal Affairs is quite different. Maybe if you see The Departed first you'll prefer it to IA. But IA is one of those chinese films, not a big production, a small budget film. No incredible special effects, no lush scenographies or glamorous clothes (where The Departed wins). And then, against all the odds, this crime thriller grips you and thoroughly entertains with fine performances from the principal cast (where The Departed loses). They pulled it off. Tony is started to question his focus and sanity. Andy Lau is sinister and greedy.
However, what Infernal Affairs gets absolutely right is the thrill of the chase. The mounting chase between the two leading characters creates gripping cinematic tension. Likewise, the fates of certain characters are affecting, and some of the plot twists are genuinely compelling. The direction is sharp and efficient and very focused.
Tony brings his subtle strengths as an actor to the tried-and-true character of Yan, and the rest of the cast plays similarly top notch. Furthermore, the cinematography (by Andrew Lau and Lai Yiu-Fai, with an assist from Christopher Doyle) is exemplary with the dark, cool colors of the triad underworld contrasting with the stark, bright beauty of Hong Kong's daytime cityscape. A lot of this stuff is amazing.
Infernal Affairs ends up as a more than good work with a marvelous production and some fine actors at the top of their game. It's a prime example of massive synergy, where you take the best of what's available and use it to its fullest. This is why I like it so much. Because it works better, despite a much smaller budget, than its richer american cousin.
Bye
Kat
ben

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject:

Great cast, but Tony owns it I think.
katwoman64

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:25 am    Post subject:

Well, Tony is Tony!
We would not be here otherwise, don't you agree?
Kisses
Kat
katwoman64

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject:

Hi everybody!
Look what I have found on the forum: this is Tony speaking-

"Q: What did you think of The Departed? It’s a remake of your film, Infernal Affairs...
A: I saw it in Hong Kong and it was very Martin Scorsese. It’s very different and really hard to compare with the one that we did. Ours was a smaller budget and very Hong Kong style. I’m a Martin Scorsese fan but I love Infernal Affairs more than The Departed."

And that's all!
Bye
Kat
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Movies All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: