TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

Just saw Infernal Affairs for first time
Goto page 1, 2  Next

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Just saw Infernal Affairs for first time

I recently discovered this wonderful, amazing chameleon of an actor named Tony Leung Chiu Wai. So pardon me if I go crazy for a few minutes over a movie that most of you saw years and years ago. That was a most amazing characterization in Infernal Affairs. I hesitate to describe what Tony did in this film as "acting" since it was as natural as breathing. Andy Lau was "acting", Tony was inhabited by his part like he was possessed by a ghost. Gives me shivers just thinking about it. The division between man and role permeable, where does one begin and the other end? Now I know what Tony means when he says he is most interested these days in being totally natural in a part and not acting (at least in the conventional sense). He certainly did that in Infernal Affairs. He must be one crazy mother-f*** to live with when he is working on a film like this one. No wonder it takes him some time to decompress and lose the character after a film wraps. I am in awe of his acting ability. There aren't many like him, anywhere. Smart director, Ang Lee, for working with Tony. I can't wait to see what they have created together in Lust, Caution. Those of you seeing it at Venice or Toronto will have to report to the rest. It will take months before the film will play North Carolina after its official US release. The anticipation is killing me. Sad

Marie
wan yu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:21 am    Post subject:

hahha Infernal Affairs was also one of the first few movies i watched of Tony's when i started sinking into his films Laughing .
i especially like the expression he had in this scene where he walked out of a building and saw Anthony Wong fell from the building onto the taxi. it was brilliant ! Wink
flavichu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject:

Actually, IA is one of my favorite movies of recent decades. It is brilliant. I remember I didn't really want to watch the movie when my husband bought the DVD (like a thousand years after its release). At first, I was kind off relying on his choice, but after a few minutes, I was totally into it. By the end, I was practically kneeling on the couch, smothering the pillows, and so excited, that he told me to calm down before I burst a vein or something.

I cannot wait for Lust, Caution. Of course, living in México, chances of watching it in the big screen are slim (few Asian movies are ever make it to theaters here, our only hope is to buy the DVD on Internet, or wait for years until a cable TV channel screens them in full-screen Mad ) I am pretty sure will have to wait for the DVD, hope for one of the international film festivals in Mexico to pick it, or cross my fingers and trust that an Ang Lee movie will come to theaters. Sad
Tony Obsessed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject:

I watched Infernal Affairs 3 recently and to be perfectly honest found it really boring. I love the first film but was disappointed with how little screentime Tony had in this one, although I did like the fact that his relationship with Dr. Lee (the psychiatrist) was expanded on. Does anyone else feel this way about number 3 compared to the first Infernal Affairs?
Tony Obsessed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:50 am    Post subject:

I have a couple of questions about the first of the Infernal Affairs films if anyone is willing to answer them. When Yan is with Dr. Lee in her office, in the evening, they hold hands and hug after she tells him he has featured in her dreams. Does anyone else feel that what happened between them may have gone further than this but we just didn't see it on screen? I think this may have been the case because Yan had been waiting for 5 months for her not to be his therapist anymore. Also does anyone feel from the look on his face when he's hugging Lee that he knows he going to die soon? I do. Is this also the reason he decides to leave her a note saying "Remember my secret. Goodbye."? I think the only way he could have left her this letter is if they slept together and Lee fell asleep for a while and he snuck out then. He probably would find it too difficult to say goodbye in person, but I like to think that Yan's dream of kissing her (as seen in part 3) came true and that Dr. Lee got some happiness with him, before his tragic death.
Tony Obsessed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:04 am    Post subject:

I have another Infernal Affairs related question. The alternate ending on the DVD which shows Lau Kin Ming being arrested I heard was used in Mainland China, as opposed to the original Hong Kong ending. What I wanted to know was the sequel (part 3) ever released in the Mainland, because if it was it would be inconsistant with the ending of the first film? Would anyone on here from Mainland China be able to clarify this?
Info

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:18 am    Post subject:

IA3 was released in Mainland China.

Audiences in Mainland China are well aware of the authentic ending of IA, hence, inconsistency is not a major problem.
Tony Obsessed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:39 am    Post subject:

Thank you for clariifying this, Info. I was curious about this for ages.
katwoman64

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject:

Hi,
I've seen "The Departed" few days ago. It can't hold a candle to the original. Do you remember that morse code tattoo? Well, that was an idea, a narrative device both simple and compelling. One of those ideas that make HK cinema so unique.
Feel sorry for the departed crew.
Kat
Tony Obsessed

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject:

katwoman64, my friend Kathrine has seen The Departed and enjoyed it. She didn't know that the premise of it came from a film with Tony in until I told her. She has seen a couple of films with him in already and likes what she sees. I've told her now that she must watch Infernal Affairs, but we'll have to wait and see whether she likes that more. I don't plan on watching The Departed myself though as I have heard through her that the film is very violent (which I don't like!) and depressing. If your opinion is anything to go by, it seems like I'm not missing out much. Quite frankly I think Infernal Affairs is such a good film that Hollywood couldn't possibly do it justice. Hollywood is getting rather tedious of late, remaking Asian films (mostly horrors like The Ring and The Grudge).
katwoman64

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject:

Hi Eve,
the Departed is a good film, an all stars. And the original IA is a violent story. But the way the story is developed in IA is simpler, more cretive, lively rithm, all in all better. It is the way chinese tell their stories that is both inetresting, visual and compelling. Often, seeing a holliwood film, I have the impression to see an elongated ad (mind spinning rithm, flashy images, all the characters scarcely developed, all skin deep). At the end, I feel empty. With my husband and daughter, often we can say the line before the actors. So much predictable is the script.
HK, and now chinese films, rely on chinese circus action school, a strong theatrical vision, scarce funds compensated with creativity and more creativity. The results are these low budgets films so different and beautiful. You like Bolliwood films, and from what I've seen so far they share things with chinese cinema. See for yourself and let me know. I wait more reviews from you.
Kisses
Kat
Tony Obsessed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject:

I must have misunderstood what you said slightly. So you did like the film but not as much as IA? I personally don't think IA is a film with too much violence in, but I guess we just have different opinions there.
katwoman64

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject:

Hi Eve,
The Departed is an average, almost discounted mafia film, full of commonplaces. It is beatifully packaged, but has nothing of the emotion or the soul of IA. IA is something revolutionary new. The violence is not always in the quantity of blood that you see. That would be a splatter. It is in the feeling that the director built by images, the tension worked by the rithm of the cuts and the sheer ability of the actors. IA is a very violent story, developed with ability, a bunch of great performers and a pinch of creativity. Sometimes it seems naif, but in the end you find it simpler and better.
Was I clear? When you'll be more free from studies, see both, and then tell me your opinion.
I agree with you that the Hollywood showbiz takes only the worst by asian cinema (the Ring was otherworldy ugly). Tony is right not hurrying to do films there.
Sorry, my english is so so, but I hope that you can forgive me.
Bye
K
Tony Obsessed

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:42 am    Post subject:

My friend Kathrine has downloaded IA and told me she'll watch it next week. I'll post what she thinks of it here when she tells me.
katwoman64

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:35 am    Post subject:

Hi Eve,
good luck for your studies.
When you have time see both. However your friend can be very reliable, I'm waiting for your own review.
Kisses
Kat
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Movies All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: