TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

2046 won Best cinematography award at National Society...

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
news

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: 2046 won Best cinematography award at National Society...

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,17775981%255E16947,00.html

Expat cinematographer is a picture of success
Sophie Tedmanson

Jan 10, 2006

AN Australian-born cinematographer is fast gaining a big reputation as the Hollywood awards season hots up.

Christopher Doyle won the best cinematography award at the National Society of Film Critics awards in New York at the weekend for his work on Hong Kong director Wong Kar Wai's film 2046.
Doyle, who left Australia at 18, has spent many years making films with some of Asia's best directors, including Wong (In The Mood For Love, 2046) and Zhang Yimou, who made the martial arts box-office hit Hero.

His most recent Australian film was Phillip Noyce's Rabbit-Proof Fence, but he is currently working on The Home Song Stories, directed by Melbourne filmmaker Tony Ayres (Walking On Water).

In 2004, he told a Seattle newspaper he had "been a foreigner for 36 years".

"I think that's very important to the way I work, because as a foreigner you see things differently," he said.

"But I started making Chinese-language films, so I regard myself as a Chinese filmmaker.

"I just happen to be white. Or pink, actually."

Doyle has just completed working on M. Night Shyamalan's new thriller Lady in the Water and was in New York at the critics' awards, where Philip Seymour Hoffman was named best actor for his role in Capote, which was also named best film.

Reese Witherspoon won best actress for playing June Carter Cash in the Johnny Cash biopic Walk The Line, while Canadian David Cronenberg was named best director for the drama A History of Violence.

In one of a series of early awards in the run-up to the all-important Oscars on March 5, the association of prominent US critics notably snubbed Brokeback Mountain, a film about a love affair between two cowboys that stars Ledger and has so far dominated the early awards.

The 57 members of the National Society of Film Critics gather each year at Sardi's Restaurant in Manhattan's theatre district to debate the merits of the year's top films and performances before voting.

The critics work for major newspapers and magazines across the US.

Additional reporting: Reuters
Pungyo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject:

Ha Ha! I like the way Christopher Doyle called himself "pink!" Well, I suppose most fair haired people have that rosey glow. Laughing

-K

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject:

Chris D. is a humorous man. His writing and speech oftentimes amused me-- a real character! Wink
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Movies All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: