TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

Tony talks in Cantonese, Ziyi talks in Mandarin in 2046?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
waterlilly

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:05 am    Post subject: subtitles

I also much prefer subtitles. I speak a bit of Cantonese but still watch movies with Eng subtitles on. I agree that at time the subtitles are pretty awful. I know they have to condense waht is being said into a few words and convey the sense but sometimes they just seem to be making it up rather than following the film.

Once, can't remember the film, a character was surprised to get a call from her Mum and she actually says " Oh...hello Mum..." and the subtitle read " My God "! Ok that might have been what she was thinking but it certainly was not what she said! Plus it's about time they learnt to spell 'losing' and 'lose' - that word is never spelt right!

But dubbing is the pits! The voices are all so flat, always an American accent and dreadful!
Kanako

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: I love how Cantonese sounds

Gathoni wrote:
I don't mind subtitles, its only that all the dvd's we get out here are dubbed.
Really?! I didn't know. That must be frustlating.
I'm not sure, but in China or Hong Kong there could be DVDs with both English and Chinese subtitles over original voices on sale. I got my Chungking Express DVD as a souvenir from my friend who used to be studying in China. He said he bought it as cheap as US$1 (so, it is certainly a bootleg.) I guess it's bootlegged from a proper DVD, therefore there must be a proper one on sale somewhere.

Anyway, I hope you'll somehow get a version with subtitle. As Pungyo said, the voices are one of the essential elements of actors' performances. Besides, you might want to hear the way how Tony speaks the lines, because it's sooooo charming!!!
(Oops! Calm down, me!)

Plus, I think Cantonese-to-English translation has certain limit. Cantonese (as Japanese) seems to express subtle nuances with varieties of terminations at the end of sentences. Tony and other excellent HK actors/actresses (.....especially Tony!) handle it verrrrry skillfully. English as language has quite different grammer in that sense, so I see English subtitlers either incorporate the original nuances of the termination into a English expression by some acrobatic translation, or just omit the nuance element.
I see much of the flavor is lost by the translation process as such. If you could hear the original voices, however, you could hear the nuances from the voice and mix it with the meanings from subtitles in your brain.

Pungyo wrote:
Tony says to Ekin Cheng... "you really care for her, don't you?" But in the subtitled version it said ... "you smell like a peach!" WHAT?
I remember that scene!! I mean, I saw that movie with Japanese subtitle, and I remember there was that incomprehensible line commenting something about "smell of peach". Laughing Which means, the Japanese subtitle was translated from the English one?! Damn!
Eri

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject:

I recently bought French version of 2046 Special Edition which include supplements of interviews, Cannes film Fes. reports etc.
Although this was mainly in Mandarin, Cantonese with French subtitles or French talked about WKW's films in French without subtitles, still very interesting. (There are some short parts in which Tony and WKW answered in English.)

Anyway in this interview, WKW said something like "In 2046's future part, Takuya Kimura speaking in Japanese is to show that people speaking in different languages and still communicate with each other without problem as SF." You can see that in the part of 60's story, Faye instructed the directions to Takuya and he couldn't understand what she was saying.
In that sense, Takuya Kimura speaking in Japanese was important for this film. I don't think Kimura's way of speaking is excellent, but viewers can at least realize he was speaking Japanese, unless all the conversation was dubbed into same language.
Gathoni

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Re: I love how Cantonese sounds

[quote="Kanako"]Anyway, I hope you'll somehow get a version with subtitle. As Pungyo said, the voices are one of the essential elements of actors' performances. Besides, you might want to hear the way how Tony speaks the lines, because it's sooooo charming!!!
(Oops! Calm down, me!)

into a English expression by some acrobatic translation, or just omit the nuance element.
I see much of the flavor is lost by the translation process as such. If you could hear the original voices, however, you could hear the nuances from the voice and mix it with the meanings from subtitles in your brain.

quote]

I'm sure I could be dancing on top of the roof when I hear Tony's voice..... what I would give to have that...... Yes, English must have different grammer, a bit stiffer, straight and cannot bring out the flowery aspect of the conversation..... yes, I'm sure I can be able to mix the meanings and expression with the translation, that can be much, much better. Hoping that soon, will have access to such dvds. Thanks Kanako. By the way that's a pretty name you have.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:44 am    Post subject:

thanks Eri, and I still think this is the most amazing of skills, each member of the cast speaking in their own languages, that really needs artistic prowess!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject:

Gathoni wrote:
thanks Eri, and I still think this is the most amazing of skills, each member of the cast speaking in their own languages, that really needs artistic prowess!

I think this is getting more and more common. there are lots of TV series in China with Korean and Hong Kong actors in it. I saw a behind-the-scene snippet of a Korean actress rattling on in Korean, and a Chinese actor replying in Mandarin, and a Hong Kong actor saying Cantonese to them. Hilarious! Laughing I wonder how they know when they are suppose to say their lines.
Gathoni

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:07 am    Post subject:

yeah, most amazing and intriguing.... nothing common at all! Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:26 am    Post subject:

Gathoni wrote:
By the way that's a pretty name you have.

Thanks! You are the first person who ever kindly mentioned some good thing about my name. Very Happy When I was in US (I once lived there for one year,) everybody had trouble in pronouncing my name. “Kanou-ko? Kanee…what did you say your name is?”

henne wrote:
the two version have a little difference,In hongkong's version,Tony and Zhangziyi have more sentimental play......

Whoa! I’m shocked. Does WKW make different versions to meet different tastes of different nations? Isn’t that rather…unclassy? Shocked

Eri wrote:
In that sense, Takuya Kimura speaking in Japanese was important for this film.

Hummm, Eri-san, no personal offence to you, Smile but I just coundn’t find anything worthy in Kimura’s performance. When I first watched 2046, I thought “Maybe WKW made this SF thing up by purely aesthetic motive to make Fay Wong into an android.” Laughing Part of me still suspect that. Maybe the role had been at first expected to develop into some interesting character, which turned out unsuccessfully.

WKW said a Japanese character was necessary to express something about communication? Sounds like a pretty bad excuse. Kimura’s role hardly communicate with anyone through languages anyway..…androids talk almost nothing.
I think 2046 is really fucked up. But I LOVE it. Some scenes were carved in my memory so vividly.

Looney Tune wrote:
I saw a behind-the-scene snippet of a Korean actress rattling on in Korean, and a Chinese actor replying in Mandarin, and a Hong Kong actor saying Cantonese to them. Hilarious!

WOW. Do they do it with Korean, too?
There may be pros and cons to this trend.
It would be always better for acting if actors/actresses are understanding with each other. If they are just escalating in piling up Asian stars in the cast, I'm not sure if it's a happy prospect.
Kanako

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:28 am    Post subject: oops

The above post was mine. I forgot to log in.
Eri

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:09 am    Post subject:

Dear Kaneko

Hummm, Eri-san, no personal offence to you, Smile but I just coundn’t find anything worthy in Kimura’s performance. When I first watched 2046, I thought “Maybe WKW made this SF thing up by purely aesthetic motive to make Fay Wong into an android.” Laughing Part of me still suspect that. Maybe the role had been at first expected to develop into some interesting character, which turned out unsuccessfully.

I am not saying anything about Kimura's acting. I only wrote about what WKW said. And he didn't even said the Japanese character was necessary to express something about communication.

I think it was just to show the difference between 60's and 2046. Androids understood different languages but in 60's Fay couldn't communicate well with the person she loved because of Language Barrier.

Recently I actually talked to a robot who speaks Japanese, Chinese, Korean and English, but WITHOUT much feelings, of course. So if you think
"Kimura’s role hardly communicate with anyone through languages anyway..…androids talk almost nothing.", I can say that in 2046 Androids becoming like a human and Kimura is becoming like an Android. If you think like that isn't he suitable for this role ? ha ha ha. I mean he shouldn't express his feelings.

But I think this is a special case for 2046 (or WKW's films), and most films in mixture of Mandarin, Cantonese, Korean and Japanese are dubbed at the final DVD if it involved some long conversation. (even though original sound was each actors own languages during shooting) eg. as in "Flowers of Shanghai".
Eri

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:50 am    Post subject:

Sorry Kanako, I wrote your name wrong. Embarassed

Anyway, I watched this WKW interview in French DVD lemonberry mentioned. (In Cantonese with French subtitles)

http://www.tonyleung.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3118
Bibi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:09 am    Post subject:

i don't think i would ever watch the dubbed version of any of Tony'd movies. I don't speak cantonese but i like the sound of his voice...
Pungyo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:59 am    Post subject:

Hi Bibi,

I agree with you... love his voice. In fact, if he wants to read the Hong Kong phone book on stage, I'd buy a ticket! Laughing

That's why I've always said that it would be wonderful if he decided to come here to the U.S. to perform on stage... Andy Lau Tak Wah and Jordan Chan Siu Chun have come to Atlantic City and Foxwoods in Connecticut, respectively... and they performed to a full house! I'm sure Tony would have a great response, too!!

-K
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Movies All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: