TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

Promote <<2046>> all over USA

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> The Latest Tony News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beckychan

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Promote <<2046>> all over USA

偉仔﹕好似競選總統 走遍美國宣傳《2046》會百傳媒
5月 11日 星期三 05:05 更新

【明報專訊】梁朝偉(新聞 - 網站 - 圖片)為《2046》於8月初在美國上映展開了接近3星期的巡迴宣傳,獲《2046》北美發行權的新力電影高層看好這部戲在美國的市場潛力,為此偉仔被安排了密麻麻的宣傳。他先後到了紐約、三藩市東西岸大城市外,還到了波士頓、芝加哥、達拉斯與中西部的明尼亞波利等城市,幾乎走勻了美國,並接受了近百個媒體訪問。偉仔看到自己的宣傳行程笑說﹕「我覺得自己好像在競選美國總統呢﹗」

廣 告

《VOGUE》出動「總統」攝影師

其實偉仔在美國也獲「總統級」待遇,美國版《VOGUE》雜誌出動擅長拍攝克林頓、布殊(新聞 - 網站 - 圖片)等總統的知名女攝影師Karin Catt為偉仔拍照。

偉仔到訪美國宣傳前,電影公司也安排了媒體參與《2046》的試映會,當地影評人與電影記者對偉仔的演出也讚口不絕。在5月8日出版的《紐約時報》,提到暑假檔期的電影專題報道中,更力薦梁朝偉是「今夏最得注目的五名演員之一」。又提到偉仔曾在美國受注目的是2000年的《花樣年華》。

與偵探小說作家喜相逢

在緊湊的「總統級」行程中,偉仔獲安排與他最喜歡的偵探小說作家羅倫斯卜洛克(Lawrence Block)在紐約見面。偉仔笑言跟對方已「神交」了15年,他在台灣拍《悲情城市》時,導演侯孝賢將卜洛克的小說《800萬種死法》給偉仔看,他因此成了卜洛克忠實讀者。

由於卜洛克跟王家衛即將合作,他得知偉仔是全亞洲最好的演員,今次他也看了《2046》。他讚偉仔有「東方馬修史卡德」(卜洛克筆下的小說人物)的沉鬱與頹廢氣質。接下來他或許會以偉仔為靈感,為他寫一個偵探或殺手的劇本。

李安在曼克頓得知偉仔到了紐約,也專程往跟偉仔見面,兩人互道近。李安還向偉仔提起正為新戲《斷臂山》做後期工作,他說這是兩個男人的愛情故事,似偉仔的《春光乍洩》呢﹗偉仔稍後會拍《葉問傳》,他趁機向李安請教拍武打片的心得,要是有合適題材,將來他們一定要合作。偉仔以康城影帝的名銜在美國宣傳受注目,正在拍攝的荷李活版《無間道》(The Departed)也問過可否安排偉仔往探班。原本偉仔也想到馬田史高西斯的拍片現場看看,可惜行程太緊密,故希望下次有機會。

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:00 am    Post subject:

The thread's headline fits this article that I'm about to post. It's old news, but the article is worth reading.
-----------

Tony Leung Chiu-Wai: "I feel like the President."

By Charles Cheng
L.A. Correspondent
ccheng@hkentreview.com

http://www.hkentreview.com/2005/features/2046/tleungint.html

As part of his promotional tour for the August 5th North American release of Wong Kar-Wai’s much-anticipated 2046, Tony Leung Chiui-Wai recently met the press at the Beverly Regent Wilshire in Los Angeles. After a brief sojourn in New York, Los Angeles was the second and final stop for Leung on his American tour.

Due to the large number of radio and print journalists in attendance, the proceedings were divided into two separate 45 minute press sessions – one in the morning for the English-language outlets and another in the afternoon for the Chinese media. I attended the former, if for no other reason than to avoid the usual off-topic personal questions from the gossip-hungry Chinese journalists. Appearing in a violet blue shirt and brown jacket, the impeccably groomed and coiffed Leung was the epitome of gentlemanly elegance and charm. His soft physical features and flawless complexion were a sharp contrast to the athletic build and rough-hewn appearance of Stephen Chow Sing-Chi, who appeared at the same venue several months ago to promote KUNG FU HUSTLE. Perhaps because of the relevant questions posed by the Western reporters and their respectful tone, Leung was extremely expansive, speaking at length -- in excellent English -- on acting, working with Wong Kar-Wai, his leading ladies from 2046, the state of Hong Kong cinema and other assorted topics.

Tony Leung Chiu-Wai. Image courtesy Charles Cheng.

Speaking about the challenges of working on 2046, Leung said the toughest part was not the notoriously protracted shoot – he would only say his portion lasted “less than a year” – but the challenge of reprising the character of Chow Mo-Wan from IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE. “I think it’s much more difficult this time,” said Leung. “I never tried before to revisit a character and add something new. This is what the director asked for on the first day.”

Leung admitted that he thought he struggled during the first few months of the shoot as he received very little input from director Wong Kar-Wai. He was able, however, to gradually find the right characterization through trial and error. Although he described his relationship with the director as “strange”, Leung nonetheless praised Wong for giving him the freedom to find his own interpretation. “We never discussed the story or the character – we never talked,” claimed Leung. “With Kar-Wai there’s nothing to prepare, because there’s no script. With directors like Andrew Lau Wai-Keung (INFERNAL AFFAIRS) and Hou Hsiao-Hsien (FLOWERS OF SHANGHAI), I would get a lot of information in advance and we would work on the script a few months before shooting. I think both ways are very interesting, but not many people like Kar-Wai’s style. I don’t mind working in his style once in a while, but not all the time.”

When asked to talk about his leading ladies from 2046, Leung said they were all different and special, though he obviously thought Faye Wong was more special as he talked mostly about her: “Faye is very unpredictable. She always claims she doesn’t know how to act (laughs). She acts by instinct, so you don’t know what will happen next. Working with her is very challenging, but it really brings out the best in me.” Leung likened acting with Faye Wong to working opposite non-professional actors in director Hou Hsiao-Hsien's CITY OF SADNESS.

As for Gong Li, Leung singled out his kiss scene with her as his favorite and marveled at how well prepared she was and how quickly she was able to get into character. Leung: “I hadn’t worked with Gong Li before, and I didn’t know her very well. On our first day together in Macau we had the big kiss scene on the steps. I thought we needed to warm up but there was no time. She was prepared and made me feel very comfortable. It’s great to work with someone who’s such a professional.”

Regarding his career path, Leung said he’s a very “passive” actor and does not seek out specific roles or certain genres to shape his career. He said that despite recently winning the Hong Kong Film Award's Best Actor prize for an unprecedented fifth time, he still has much to accomplish in HK. “There are still lots of characters for me to play,” stressed Leung.
Indirectly acknowledging the dearth of opportunities for Asian actors in the West, Leung skirted a question about crossing over to Hollywood by saying he would like to participate in more Pan-Asian projects with Mainland Chinese, Taiwanese and Japanese artists. He remarked that he would love to work with more Mainland Chinese directors and looked forward to teaming up with Zhang Yimou (HERO) again in the future.

Asked to assess the current state of Hong Kong cinema, Leung echoed the general consensus that bigger budgets, higher production values and more pan-Asian Chinese co-productions are the only way the local movie industry can survive. Though he agreed with Stephen Chow’s recent assertion that there is a lack of talent among the new generation of actors in Hong Kong, Leung blamed the talent drought on a lack of opportunities in the local movie and television industries for newcomers to work on their craft. Leung: “Working at TVB was a great experience for me. I was able to practice my acting in all kinds of shows – drama, action and ancient costume. The newcomers are very talented but don’t have the opportunities to practice their skills.”

When the conversation turned to the topic of his next subject, Leung revealed that he will work again with Andrew Lau Wai-Keung and the INFERNAL AFFAIRS crew as they are preparing to do a crime drama about a detective and a serial killer. The story will be set in Hong Kong and, possibly, South Korea. According to Leung, the production is looking to bring aboard some new actors and actresses and, no doubt, appeal to the pan-Asian market in the process. Leung would not reveal whether he would play the detective or the serial killer. He also did not say whether Andy Lau Tak-Wah will again play his nemisis.

With time winding down, Leung was asked about his stay in the United States during the 2046 publicity tour. To this, he smiled and said he was thoroughly enjoying himself. He quipped that the warm reception and the VIP treatment he had been receiving made him feel like the President. Indeed, Leung displayed the tact and charisma worthy of a visiting head of state during his all-too-brief time with members of the Los Angeles press.
mu99le

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:09 am    Post subject:

thank you! Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:19 am    Post subject:

You're welcome. Very Happy
Pungyo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject:

What a great article, thanks.

-K

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject:

Not a prob Pungyo. Wink
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> The Latest Tony News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: