TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

Is it possible that he stars in Chen Kaige film?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kanako

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 6:04 am    Post subject: Is it possible that he stars in Chen Kaige film?

I guess it may be a naive idea (I don't quite know about language problems or other practical difficulties), but is it possible? What do you think? Maybe it's not very likely because Chen Kaige is a Beijing-oriented director? Chen's "Farewell, My Concubine" blew me away. I see Leslie got a really unforgettable role with the magnificent story.

I have always wanted to see Tony playing an extraordinary, unprecedented character in an extraordinary movie. A great actor like him deserves such a role, but I don't think WKW will be able to give him such a project/role. There are certain films that can never come out from WKW's improvising filming style.

Taxi Driver, for example. As the plot proceeds, Travis in Taxi Driver go down deeper and deeper into his paranoia, STRAIGHT to the critical point. One can see how the situations just fuel this process PRECISELY on the track and how he escalates sternly. Could DeNiro develop a character like that in such meticulousity without knowing the overall plot? I don't think so. To develop a character like that, I think there should be an excellent script in the first place, AND a director who can change and polish the already great script as he films it, and a fantastic actor.

I hope to see Tony get THE role of his in his career. (Yeah, I think he is yet to encounter it, in spite of his great career.)
Pungyo

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 9:23 am    Post subject: Chen Kaige

Since Asian movies take a loooong time to come to the U.S.... I just saw the Chen Kaige's film the Emperor and the Assassin. He's now one of my favorite directors (although he acted in the film, too)... here I go... once someone peaks my interest, I watch anything and everything they do! I would love to see Tony work with this man!

Everyone is talking about "Farewell, My Concubine," but, I also loved "Temptress Moon." I have to admit, though, I viewed the movie shortly after Leslie's death... and it made me very uncomfortable and very sad during a suicide scene in the film. (not his, but his character was witness to it.) But, the film was another tribute to Chen Kaige's and Leslie Cheung's amazing talents.

As far as director's go... Akira Kurosawa, Zhang Yimou and Bernardo Bertolucci are my favorites. I'm so glad Tony Leung and Zhang Yimou were able to work on "Hero" together... two of my favorite men in the industry! I wonder if Tony would ever try to work on a Bertolucci film?

-K
Kanako

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Directors

Hi!
I just thought I wanted to see a movie where Tony develop his role into a sort of 'larger-than-life' figure (not necessary a hero...an anti-hero that is unforgettably intense might be also great.) Yan in 'Infernal Affairs' may be one of those roles, but I want a more extreme one!! (Please tolerate my absurdity.)
In Zhang Yimou's HERO, Tony played literally a hero (and yes, Zhang Yimou is a great director), but it was not a film that allows him develop a charactor throughout the whole story.

Another fancy I'm indulging myself is, Tim Burton directing a HK movie. Twisted Evil
I read an interview of Tim Burton in which he was talking how Ewan McGregor and Jonny Depp are good actors being "brave and ready to try anything to make their roles work," and I thought "Hey, that's not a rare quality when you see HK movie stars!" Laughing
A Burton-ish dark/strange/beautiful Chinese fantasy movie starring Tony Leung would be great, wouldn't it? Wink
Pungyo

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: I never thought of Tim Burton.

A Tim Burton film might be pretty interesting... I have often thought that perhaps Tony could try to play someone really evil... or absolutely insane! It would definitely stretch his acting "muscles."

In the past, if Tony played a "bad guy," he always at least had a good heart. You mentioned Johnny Depp... "Secret Window" comes to mind... a character something like that. Oooooooh! I was so surprised at the end of the film! Shocked So Scary!!

-K
Zen

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject:

Since we are on the topic of Johnny Depp (whom I adore), has anyone seen "Ed Wood?" Maybe Tony Leung should star in a movie in which he is a director (much like Depp's character) - that would be entertaining and it would give Tony an idea of how directing is like, from the hardships, loses and achievements.

Kurosawa is also one of my favorite directors - it would have been a dream for Kurosawa to have made a film with Tony! He would bring out the best of Tony in his films!

As for as American directors, I also like Martin Scorcese and think that he would make a good partner in Tony's career. Wes Anderson, too, if Tony would ever like to make a dark comedy.

--Thich Nhat Han
Pungyo

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 5:53 am    Post subject: Comedy

Hello Zen,

One thing you touched on was comedy. No one has really discussed Tony's flair for comedy. His timing is great! He's phenomenal in dramas, but... he's just as great in films that might be considered "light and fluffy!" Very Happy

Even though it was small, I loved his part in Jackie Chan's "Gorgeous." His mannerisms... expressions... reactions... I found myself giggling all the way through. But, other films that he's been in, that involved comedy, he's been great.

I truly love seeing all of the many facets of this man's talents!

And, yes, I agree that if Tony were cast in a Martin Scorcese or Wes Craven film, it would be really great!

-K
Zen

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject:

Pungyo, I absolutely agree with you. Tony has the ability to pull off a comedic performance!

I'm not a big fan of horror films, and I don't really like Wes Craven's style. I'm not sure if you meant Wes Anderson? He's directed "The Royal Tenebaums" and Bill Murray's latest "Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou." If they ever paired up, it would be a trip!

--Thich Nhat Han
Looney Tune

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject:

You are absolutely right with Tony's flair for comedy. I caught Days of Being Dumb on telly yesterday. Tony was hilarious! Despite having watched it many many times, and knowing what the next joke is, it never fails to make me laugh Laughing
Pungyo

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Oops!

Sorry Zen,

I was thinking Wes Anderson... but, my fingers typed Craven! Embarassed Maybe that was my subconscious telling me it's time for a spooky movie! Smile

-K
Pungyo

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Days of Being Dumb

Hi Looney Tune,

What other comedies has Tony been in? Half of these films don't make it over to the U.S.... Like Days of Being Dumb... and you can't really tell by his filmography as to what is a serious drama and what is a funny comedy. Well, maybe sometimes... but not all the time.

Do you know a couple of other titles that I can look for? I'd love to see him get silly! Razz

-K
Zen

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject:

Looney Tune, I have a copy of "Days of Being Dumb" and it is such an absurd and off-beat movie. It's ridiculous, but it is a good film! My father (who doesn't really watch movies) enjoyed it. As for other Tony comedies, the satirical "Eagle Shooting Heroes" marks another comedic triumph in his career. I'm not sure if you count "Chungking Express" as a comedy (though I do), but it's another good one.

One that I hate to admit to liking is "Fighting For Love" - his film with Sammi Cheung. Normally I don't like "chick flicks" but Tony was adorable in this film! I also have to say that "My Lucky Star" was a cute, fun film. As far as older ones, I'm not sure.

Pungyo, I hope that helps!

--Thich Nhat Han
Zen

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject:

Pungyo, I re-read your commentary on Chen Kaige's film "The Emperor and the Assassin" and finally realized you said that he also acted in the film. Who was he? The assassin Gong Li fell in love with, or was he the king?

--Thich Nhat Han
Pungyo

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject:

Thank you, Zen! It does... I'll have to check out Netflix to see if they have any of those titles to rent. I hope I can find them! Pray

-K
Looney Tune

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject:

Another comedy to watch is Chinese Odyssey 2002. Very funny Laughing
Pungyo

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject:

Chen Kaige was the emperor's real father... remember, he hanged himself? He was made up to look like a much older man... but in the commentary on the DVD I watched, he said he felt he needed to play the part because of the sad history between himself and his own father. It seems he has many regrets about that aspect of his life, and unfortunately his father passed away before he could ask for forgiveness. Sad

-K
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Movies All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: